• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m glad Sony focuses on AAAAAA ‘blockbuster’ games

Romulus

You almost have to play VR at this point to get that true next-gen experience. Even the big-name first-party games that are coming in the next few years will end up looking like PS4 games on steroids. That might even be an exaggeration.

T4keD0wN

Yeah lets all collectively crap on Atomic Heart, Portal with RTX, The Callisto Protocol, Cyberpunk 2077, Hogwarts Legacy, Plague Tale Requiem, Forza horizon 5, RE Village, Guardians of the Galaxy, MSFS2020, Far Cry 6, Valhalla, Darktide, Dead Space Remake , Scorn and The Quarry.

They all look like garbage even at 8k and have bad production values because dont have a Playstation logo when youre launching them. EWWWWWW, gimme Destruction Allstars baby.

How come Horizon, Demon Souls and Ratchet and clank didnt win at The Game Awards? They must be getting paid by the evil green company to not acknowledge Sony superiority.

Last edited:

kyussman

I wish they leaned into wrpg's more.As someone who hasn't bought a next gen console Xbox's line up of Starfield,Avowed,Fable,The Outer Worlds 2 etc may be a deal breaker if I decide to only own one console.I've enjoyed PlayStations big games over the years though,they have certainly got a formula going with their cinematic games but personally I think I might be over them.

I actually don't like sony "games" these days, they are dumbed down overrated movie games. Sony was the king of actual good games in the past but that is long gone. There are some rare exceptions like GOT and Ratchet but that is about it. I much prefer indie games since they are actual games you play and doesn't take control away from me 80 percent of the time.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yet FS 2020 is still the most advanced game on the market. And was released before next gen consoles were put on sale
Came to say this. I picked up Miles Morales and Uncharted 4 on PC and while I really enjoyed Miles Morales I can't say it felt next gen. Didn't seem to do anything beyond graphics and polished production that wasn't been done a decade ago.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Are we just pretending that Fable, Starfield, and Elder Scrolls VI aren't going to happen? Or are those not "AAAAAA" enough titles? Also, Halo Infinite was great, except that they didn't release promised single-player features, and they butchered multi-player. But the single-player campaign they made was on point.

Some of those are AAAAAAAAA while some are only AAAAA. Sony is right to make games somewhere in the middle, because all other companies suck. I also like how Nintendo focuses on aaaaaaa games. They would be AAAAAAA games if developed to stress modern hardware good HW like Playstation5.

Look, I like shorter experiences than typical AAA games since they really start to drag after ~ 30 hours and start to feel like work. Hi Fi rush was great fun and done, Hogwarts was great for the first 25 or so hours then it was like go farm a bunch of shit if you want good weapons or be stuck getting nothing but shit loot until you are done. God of War too kind of had too much to do in it after I finished it. I want shorter games ~ 25 hours that cost a bit less.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t get this obsession with super pretty graphics as if that’s what makes a game great.

I’d rather be immersed with strong gameplay elements and some real depth instead of going through the motions with a pretty but shallow big budget game.

Came to say this. I picked up Miles Morales and Uncharted 4 on PC and while I really enjoyed Miles Morales I can't say it felt next gen. Didn't seem to do anything beyond graphics and polished production that wasn't been done a decade ago.

Miles Morales isn’t next gen

I don’t get this obsession with super pretty graphics as if that’s what makes a game great.

I’d rather be immersed with strong gameplay elements and some real depth instead of going through the motions with a pretty but shallow big budget game.

There are plenty of games that don’t focus on pretty graphics

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I actually don't like sony "games" these days, they are dumbed down overrated movie games. Sony was the king of actual good games in the past but that is long gone. There are some rare exceptions like GOT and Ratchet but that is about it. I much prefer indie games since they are actual games you play and doesn't take control away from me 80 percent of the time.
It's amazing that during the PS3 generation, Sony first party studios also made these games:

- Lots of shooter franchises (KZ, SOCOM, Resistance, Warhawk/Starhawk, MAG)
- PS All Stars fighting game
- More racers like Motorstorm, Wipeout and F1
- JRPGs
- More sports games aside from baseball
- Family fun games like Singstar and Buzz

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Exactly, people can scream they want more returnal all day on here but the sales speak for themselves. It has like 6k peak concurrent players on steam

It didn’t do anything amazing on PS5 either.

It’s a gorgeous game, but it’s more of a quick pick up and play title instead of something that immerses you for hours and hours.
The price is too high for the type of game Returnal is. PC players have way more cheaper options with equally good gameplay.

Yoboman

What a load of nonsense

nial

Gold Member
It's amazing that during the PS3 generation, Sony first party studios also made these games:

- JRPGs
Honestly, I only miss Motorstorm/Wipeout and JRPGs, and Wipeout will 99% have a PS5 game. It's one of their few long-running franchises.

- JRPGs

And no one bought them

It didn’t do anything amazing on PS5 either.

It’s a gorgeous game, but it’s more of a quick pick up and play title instead of something that immerses you for hours and hours.
The price is too high for the type of game Returnal is. PC players have way more cheaper options with equally good gameplay.

I’m tired of hearing excuses for why people aren’t interested in Returnal.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
AAAAAAA games are only known for their absurd development costs and shallow, cookie cutter game design. The only thing they do exceedingly well are graphical fidelity and animations. There are very rare exceptions to this, but that is how AAA gaming has been for the past two generations.

AAAAAAA games are only known for their absurd development costs and shallow, cookie cutter game design. The only thing they do exceedingly well are graphical fidelity and animations. There are very rare exceptions to this, but that is how AAA gaming has been for the past two generations.

Let’s be honest, most of the indie games people go crazy over aren’t very original either.

People want another cookie cutter cinematic open world game

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

Although it probably doesn’t have to be open world. People want games that push their new consoles

Last edited:
over two years into the generation now and it really does feel like nothing really impressive has come out for current gen only outside of Demon’s Souls and Ratchet and Clank (games with actual characters and stories). The closest thing so far has been TLOU Part 1 and Horizon, and the former is a remake and the latter is cross-gen, but yet they are still the best looking games of 2022.

My point is, if not SIE who’s really making games on that level, with that polish, fidelity, animation, and still has competent gameplay? Rockstar is up there but they only make one game per generation now, its hard to even consider them when they don’t even have a consistent release cadence anymore. They launch games as rarely as the consoles.

There’s tons of developers making boomer shooters, metroidvanias, diablo likes, zelda knocks off, and then theres WRPG’s like witcher or bethesda game that while large have the same ugly stiff animations, bad controls…etc

Its telling that the only real ‘next gen’ thing people have to look forward to is Spider-man 2, which isn’t even something im super excited about tbh but we’re at a point where it feels like only one publisher is still really focused on big budget, polished single player games.

People can say they want more AA or indie stuff until they’re blue in the face but the last 3 platform showcases have been underwhelming. People want big current gen titles already, people want to see something exciting. Not ports and remasters
I just wish they had some variety to their genres. Sony is amazing at making single player cinematic third person action adventure games but I miss Resistance, Twisted Metal and Killzone. If you dont like single player cinematic games, playstation is not very appealing.

3liteDragon

So RDR2, Hogwarts Legacy are also “third person cinematic games” then right? Love how a few keep using that phrase for Sony titles just cause it’s executed well to talk shit & praise other games that do the exact same thing lol. I’m 20 hours into Hogwarts right now & it’s a pretty good game so far, but has terrible UI navigation on console, most of the side quests are fetch quests & the open world feels like AC Origins again with the checklist style stuff. Yet this gets a pass from the same corny ass mofos that were shitting on HFW for having waypoints & handholding elements, tells you all you need to know.

Last edited:

Tommi84

Are we just pretending that Fable, Starfield, and Elder Scrolls VI aren't going to happen?
Oh, they will happen. TWO of those will happen in around 4 years. I would 'f' imagine that they WILL look significantly better than today's games, but let's focus on games that have more than a title screen and 3 seconds of rendered 'something' xD

Care to list what these dumbed down overrated movie games are?

So RDR2, Hogwarts Legacy are also “third person cinematic games” then right? Love how a few keep using that phrase for Sony titles just cause it’s executed well to talk shit & praise other games that do the exact same thing lol. I’m 20 hours into Hogwarts right now & it’s a pretty good game so far, but has terrible UI navigation on console, most of the side quests are fetch quests & the open world feels like AC Origins again with the checklist style stuff. Yet this gets a pass from the same corny ass mofos that were shitting on HFW for having waypoints & handholding elements, tells you all you need to know.

We all know this is the 100% truth but people don’t like to talk about that part.

The same people that are all “yaaaaaawn movies games” will be the front row and center for the next showcase

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Uncharted 4 was gash bored me to death.

On the other hand Uncharted 2 has yet to be bested.

Uh God me too. All the Uncharted games had really cliche and forgettable stories to me, which is the main thing in a cinematic game with limited gameplay. The only Sony game I really like the story when I had a PS4 was HZD.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Let’s be honest, most of the indie games people go crazy over aren’t very original either.

You are correct, but they at least *Try*. AAA games don't these days, outside of very rare examples. Which makes sense as a publisher isn't going to spit out 75+ million on a game without a lot of focus testing. Which just makes generic nonsense.

The absolute best things that both Sony and Microsoft have done are A to AA games. Astrobot, Pentiment, etc. These are the games that are actually worth playing these days and what they should put the most work into. Mkae more games like these, less like generic GAAS Cinematic mediocrity #255623.

Last edited:
Uh God me too. All the Uncharted games had really cliche and forgettable stories to me, which is the main thing in a cinematic game with limited gameplay. The only Sony game I really like the story when I had a PS4 was HZD.
I liked the PS3 for twisted metal, LBP, warhawk, resistance, Killzone, God of war, etc. I didn't mind games like TLOU or Heavy rain since it wasn't their whole library, but now it seems most of their games are cinematic games which are meh to me.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Its not about originality. Its about a game that knows what it wants to deliver, and is designed around it.
These AAAAAAs are mess of ideas, throwing darts at the all in the hopes something will hit the target. They're a package assembled with something for every player, and created for absolutely no one.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
"AAA" is literally just a marketing term invented to justify price hikes to the simple minded and excuse project creep and bloated budgets to stakeholders.

It is absolutely meaningless.

The fact that some gamers now try to add additional meaningless "A"'s to the nonsensival term just tells us that marketing and PR have a greater influence on the perception of a game's quality and value than the actual quality and substance of the game itself.

NahaNago

I'd rather they had more of a wide range of games from indie level all the way up to AAA. Like I don't understand why Sony can't just have like a dozen small studios making super quality indie like games. They can pepper those games in between the AAAAAA games. For instance a tmnt like game, a hi fi rush, cuphead, or journey game.

I'd rather they had more of a wide range of games from indie level all the way up to AAA. Like I don't understand why Sony can't just have like a dozen small studios making super quality indie like games. They can pepper those games in between the AAAAAA games. For instance a tmnt like game, a hi fi rush, cuphead, or journey game.

They already have a bunch of indie games sprinkled inbetween their big games, Tchia comes out next month and Humanity after that and Pacific Drive after that.

If you don’t care about sonys big budget, then it doesn’t really make a difference whether they make it or just market it

Sony didn’t make Journey either, but you probably associate with ps3 anyway

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Honestly, I only miss Motorstorm/Wipeout and JRPGs, and Wipeout will 99% have a PS5 game. It's one of their few long-running franchises.
I doubt it. They haven't made a true console WipeOut since Fusion on PS2. WipeOut HD was just a remaster of the PSP games, and Omega Collection was a remaster of that + 2048. Plus, you know, the studio doesn't exist anymore.

Top Bottom