• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m glad Sony focuses on AAAAAA ‘blockbuster’ games

NahaNago

They already have a bunch of indie games sprinkled inbetween their big games, Tchia comes out next month and Humanity after that and Pacific Drive after that.

If you don’t care about sonys big budget, then it doesn’t really make a difference whether they make it or just market it

Sony didn’t make Journey either, but you probably associate with ps3 anyway
I wasn't quite sure if Journey was Sony or not.

I honestly didn't care about most of Sony's first party until the ps4.

On the indie games sprinkled in between. I'm more just interested in seeing what the games Sony would make. We have the Spiderman, god of war, horizon, and gran turismo but now what would the level of quality look like in a smaller scale.

I wasn't quite sure if Journey was Sony or not.

I honestly didn't care about most of Sony's first party until the ps4.

On the indie games sprinkled in between. I'm more just interested in seeing what the games Sony would make. We have the Spiderman, god of war, horizon, and gran turismo but now what would the level of quality look like in a smaller scale.

Like sackboy, bound, concrete genie, entwined, Tearaway, etc.

Sony put out a bunch of “indie” games last generation that no one cared about but continue to demand they still make

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It is if you can finish it really fast. There are 52 weeks in a year and a game that lasts one week won't keep me engage on a platform/service.
I’ve finished uncharted 4 for example 5 times. Bought it few times. Collected collectibles and so on.
Look at souls. Single player and you can get years of play out of it

Using Demon's Souls as an example was interesting.

I was playing it yesterday and thought that there's nothing going on here that the PS4 couldn't do outside of resolution.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Its not about originality. Its about a game that knows what it wants to deliver, and is designed around it.
These AAAAAAs are mess of ideas, throwing darts at the all in the hopes something will hit the target. They're a package assembled with something for every player, and created for absolutely no one.

I don't even think that is the case. They all know what they are aiming for, but they bloat the experience with ideas that never take full advantage. They all know the "formula" they are going for. Semi-large open environments if not outright open world, "cinematic" design, third person gameplay, with a focus on high quality animations, simplistic combat, and some level of "rpg-lite" design with gear, weapons, or loot. It is what is heavily focused tested and did well previously, so they keep doing it. This is also the same issue that has hurt Nintendo in the past and why so many associate Xbox with "Forza/Gears/Halo", because that is what sold the best and that is what they heavily focused on.

Sony put out a bunch of “indie” games last generation that no one cared about but continue to demand they still make

Sackboy was mediocre, Bound I don't even remember what that was. Concrete Genie was fantastic and I adored it, as did Entwined and Tearaway.

Plenty folks buy these games and enjoy them immensely. They just don't get the same budgeting market and go under the radar. I remember Entwined being shown at E3 for release that day and... never heard a thing about it afterwards. After the various directs/E3 events, same thing with Tearaway and Concrete Genie. Never once saw a commercial, billboard, or otherwise.

Marketting is the reason games like these don't do as well as the AAA games. Not because they are somehow weaker or lesser.

uWGXVqU.gif

People keep forgetting Kat

nial

Gold Member
Plenty folks buy these games and enjoy them immensely. They just don't get the same budgeting market and go under the radar. I remember Entwined being shown at E3 for release that day and... never heard a thing about it afterwards. After the various directs/E3 events, same thing with Tearaway and Concrete Genie. Never once saw a commercial, billboard, or otherwise.

Marketting is the reason games like these don't do as well as the AAA games. Not because they are somehow weaker or lesser.
There is also a strange sentiment against AA games on these enthusiastic forums, early PS4 had few AAA titles and was more focused on smaller game types (things like Resogun, Doki-Doki Universe, Entwined, Hohokum, CounterSpy, Helldivers and Tearaway Unfolded), and people often malign that era as one of Sony's worst years.

Are people supposed to be impressed by a remaster and Ratchet and Clank? Personally I play games because they're fun, not because they look good or are technologically impressive. From a personal preference standpoint, I'll happily take the types of games Microsoft 1st party makes rather than Sony's

Are people supposed to be impressed by a remaster and Ratchet and Clank? Personally I play games because they're fun, not because they look good or are technologically impressive. From a personal preference standpoint, I'll happily take the types of games Microsoft 1st party makes rather than Sony's

Thats good. I’m glad they make the kind of games they make also

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There is also a strange sentiment against AA games on these enthusiastic forums, early PS4 had few AAA titles and was more focused on smaller game types (things like Resogun, Doki-Doki Universe, Entwined, Hohokum, CounterSpy, Helldivers and Tearaway Unfolded), and people often malign that era as one of Sony's worst years.

CounterSpy, Helldivers, and Resogun were legit fantastic experiences too. Hohokum was... not my thing? Not really sure waht that game was trying to accomplish to this day.

Tearaway Unfolded is fun, but it was a quick port because the Vita was failing hard in the west.

But agreed. A to AA games are where the interesting mechanics, love, passion, and quality is these days. Ironically enough.

nial

Gold Member
Tearaway Unfolded is fun, but it was a quick port because the Vita was failing hard in the west.
I thought it was more like a remake because the original game couldn't be directly ported to PS4? Either way, I'm glad it exists, Tearaway is immensely more charming than LBP.

And someone brought up the MCU as a pejorative (as tends to happen in sony game threads) but i actually agree with the comparison.

Up until MCU who was really making big blockbuster tightly woven super hero movies? We got sprinkles of it with raimi spider-man, and Nolan dark knight but comic book movies for years were a mess.

Captain America Avengers GIF by Marvel Studios

Then Marvel brought it all together in a very big and entertaining way and only because it got so popular and well made that people began to have a problem with it. If it weren’t for marvel we’d still be relying on fox and sony to make good comic movies, stuff like, dark Phoenix, fantastic 4 and Morbius would be what we had to look forward to.

Because marvel/disney has been kicking everyones ass do you now see Warner Bros investing big bucks and trying to get their acts together with bringing in James Gunn and the like.
You're missing the point. MCU movies are design-by-committee. They look mostly the same (from the color grading, fx, etc.), have the same story beats, have forgettable setpieces and musical scores, lack compelling character arcs, and have very little if any artistic (read: director, writer, etc.) thumbprint. And adhering rigidly to a meta-continuity does not help matters.

The Raimi Spider-man flicks are leagues above anything in the MCU.

Straight factc OP. I felt like I was cleansing my pallette of trash games after replaying TLOU2 on Grounded mode.:messenger_clapping:

Like - Demon's Souls looks good - but I think people are vastly overrating it as some next gen experience.

It's not THAT special looking, especially given the confined scale.
Still the best looking SoulsBorne game though.
CounterSpy, Helldivers, and Resogun were legit fantastic experiences too. Hohokum was... not my thing? Not really sure waht that game was trying to accomplish to this day.

But agreed. A to AA games are where the interesting mechanics, love, passion, and quality is these days. Ironically enough.
What new mechanic has been introduced by what AA game? Please, tell me what Indie dev did what the big publishers couldnt. I need an example. I feel like we just got out of the "Silent Hill, PT Demo" template phase for AA horror games, and now we're in the middle of the "SoulsBorne" template phase for AA action RPGs?

Carrie Brownstein Television GIF

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Straight factc OP. I felt like I was cleansing my pallette of trash games after replaying TLOU2 on Grounded mode.:messenger_clapping:
Laugh Lol GIF

What new mechanic has been introduced by what AA game? Please, tell me what Indie dev did what the big publishers couldnt. I need an example. I feel like we just got out of the "Silent Hill, PT Demo" template phase for AA horror games, and now we're in the middle of the "SoulsBorne" template phase for AA action RPGs?
Soulsbourne games were literally borne from AA titles. Demon Souls and Dark Souls were *not* AAA games. Some other "AA", "A", and "indie" games that offered a unique take on games and offered something vastly different and new for gaming as a whole: NieR, Braid, FEZ, Creature in the Well, Crypt of the Necrodancer, The Binding of Isaac, LIMBO (and its spiritual successor with INSIDE), Beat Saber, League of Legends (was not a AAA game when it first began), I can keep going on.

feynoob

Banned
I guess, people's taste are weird.

Anyway gameplay is a big huge for me. I skip story mode most of time, since I got not time for boring conversation.

feynoob

Banned
I’m not really looking for a pitch for starfield here. I’m well aware its a big open world game, there will be others this gen that look far better
Looking better doesnt make a game good.
Its all about gameplay.
You can have the best visual game in the world, and it will still fail in gameplay department, if the players dont focus on those visuals.

Watch this video

Looking better doesnt make a game good.
Its all about gameplay.
You can have the best visual game in the world, and it will still fail in gameplay department, if the players dont focus on those visuals.

Watch this video

I mean, are we pretending starfield/BGS are known for award winning gameplay that no other open world can top? I was over skyrim the second Witcher 3 came out

feynoob

Banned
I mean, are we pretending starfield/BGS are known for award winning gameplay that no other open world can top? I was over skyrim the second Witcher 3 came out
Creation engine handles open world much better than other engines. That is why skyrim is unique with how you interact with the world.
The issues with that is the buggy state that is plaguing bethesda games.

Since Starfield is space game. the possibilities of the stuff you can do on that game is endless, due to this engine. Not to mention, they upgraded the engine too.

So from gameplay department, BGS knows their stuff. They have a long history of open world games, so expect new stuff that we havent heard about.

Creation engine handles open world much better than other engines. That is why skyrim is unique with how you interact with the world.
The issues with that is the buggy state that is plaguing bethesda games.

Since Starfield is space game. the possibilities of the stuff you can do on that game is endless, due to this engine. Not to mention, they upgraded the engine too.

So from gameplay department, BGS knows their stuff. They have a long history of open world games, so expect new stuff that we havent heard about.
I think you are confusing gameplay with systems.

Are we just pretending that Fable, Starfield, and Elder Scrolls VI aren't going to happen? Or are those not "AAAAAA" enough titles? Also, Halo Infinite was great, except that they didn't release promised single-player features, and they butchered multi-player. But the single-player campaign they made was on point.
dont jinx them

So, what are we basically talking here? The umpteenth remake of LoU, the umpteenth GoW part, and that open world game about robot dinosaurs, right? I really hope they diversify a little, because its starting to sound a little stale.

This comment sounds hilarious when you break it down.

Playing a game in a gritty
Zombie apocalypse , then moving into a game based on Norse mythology, and finally a futuristic post apocalyptic robo Dino world

All very samey for sure, lmao

feynoob

Banned
So, what are we basically talking here? The umpteenth remake of LoU, the umpteenth GoW part, and that open world game about robot dinosaurs, right? I really hope they diversify a little, because its starting to sound a little stale.
You can mock them as much as you want, but they sure know how to handle both worlds. Its why I enjoyed Spiderman alot, despite mediocre gameplay.

Maybe you dont have a taste for those games, but that doesnt mean they are boring.

TLOU2 is my best game so far, due to the atmosphere of that game. Even though, I dont like too much cinematic mode.

That system is good for modding.
Maybe it can give us next gen looks starfield.

That is what modding does to a 2011 game.

i am not talkig abut that.

i am talking about A.I. systems, crafting , perks, settlement, dialog systems and shit like that. it encourages extermination and creativity (in the game).

the Creation engine is old and outdated. lets see if they can even manage to eliminate loading screens.

aries_71

You can mock them as much as you want, but they sure know how to handle both worlds. Its why I enjoyed Spiderman alot, despite mediocre gameplay.

Maybe you dont have a taste for those games, but that doesnt mean they are boring.

TLOU2 is my best game so far, due to the atmosphere of that game. Even though, I dont like too much cinematic mode.
I didn’t say I don’t like them, in fact I do. But they are always the same concept game wise, and I miss the variety found during the ps3 generation. Sony is not moving out of their comfort area.

You dont need visually for next gen.
The medium showed that there is more than visually for next gen games.

Interesting but I think the OP is talking about graphics in this thread. While I won't argue with you that next gen is more than just graphics, I think for the context of this thread we are mostly talking about visuals and visually Starfield isn't it.

I'll be getting Starfield but I'd be lying if I said it looks next gen visually because it really doesn't at all.

ACESHIGH

Banned

Yeah, AA games just can't win vs some gamers. Because they are trying to do what AAA games are doing but fall short due to lack of budget. So you hear the usual complaints about "jank" but these guys then go and play the most generic 8 bit indie games.
I'd gladly take AA games with their shortcomings if they try to fill niches where AAA cant or wont go.

Are we just pretending that Fable, Starfield, and Elder Scrolls VI aren't going to happen? Or are those not "AAAAAA" enough titles? Also, Halo Infinite was great, except that they didn't release promised single-player features, and they butchered multi-player. But the single-player campaign they made was on point.
I actually enjoyed Halo Infinite, but how many years will it take for those other games to come out? Last time I heard Elder Scrolls 6 is scheduled for 2030 or something and I have a feeling that Fable is at least 4 years away and that’s being generous.

feynoob

Banned
I didn’t say I don’t like them, in fact I do. But they are always the same concept game wise, and I miss the variety found during the ps3 generation. Sony is not moving out of their comfort area.
Every game looks the same concept. From open world to racing to jrpg to cinematic games.

Look at skyrim, witcher 3, gtav and RD2. Same concept, it just that they applied it differently.

Even souls games look the same feelings.

The only difference is that these games is making alot of money for Sony. You will focus more on the stuff that makes you alot of money.
The market wants those games, and Sony wont stop it there.

HFW showed me that all the production values and budget and AAAAAA development in the world doesn’t matter if the game sucks.

I’m glad devs are still focusing on good games, across all platforms. Frankly I’m pretty sick of the Sony shtick, much like Gears ruined third person games for me a couple generations ago with repeatedly shoving the same formula down my throat.

Also idk if you have heard but Sony is going to be shifting to a strong single player/GaaS mix.

yurinka

over two years into the generation now and it really does feel like nothing really impressive has come out for current gen only outside of Demon’s Souls and Ratchet and Clank (games with actual characters and stories). The closest thing so far has been TLOU Part 1 and Horizon, and the former is a remake and the latter is cross-gen, but yet they are still the best looking games of 2022.

My point is, if not SIE who’s really making games on that level, with that polish, fidelity, animation, and still has competent gameplay? Rockstar is up there but they only make one game per generation now, its hard to even consider them when they don’t even have a consistent release cadence anymore. They launch games as rarely as the consoles.

There’s tons of developers making boomer shooters, metroidvanias, diablo likes, zelda knocks off, and then theres WRPG’s like witcher or bethesda game that while large have the same ugly stiff animations, bad controls…etc

Its telling that the only real ‘next gen’ thing people have to look forward to is Spider-man 2, which isn’t even something im super excited about tbh but we’re at a point where it feels like only one publisher is still really focused on big budget, polished single player games.

People can say they want more AA or indie stuff until they’re blue in the face but the last 3 platform showcases have been underwhelming. People want big current gen titles already, people want to see something exciting. Not ports and remasters
AAA games and their engines need many years to be made. Consider that until last year devs didn't have access to game engines that started to unlock the potential of the next gen, but most of the AAA games being publishedd now started to be developed in 2017 or 2018. So they were started to be made as previous gen games because didn't even know the current gen hardware specs. So basically, even the next gen only games published until now, and maybe most of the ones to be published in a year or two in the future, are previous gen games with some extra bells & whistles.

Spider-Man 2 will look great, pretty likely the best one to date, but we won't see games really taking advantage of the next gen until several years in the future.

Three

The variety is there, you just ignore it. GT7, Ratchet and Clank, Demon's Souls, Dreams, Returnal, Spiderman. All PS3 like variety you choose to ignore for a narrative.

Last edited:
Top Bottom