• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m glad Sony focuses on AAAAAA ‘blockbuster’ games

mrmustard

Banned
Sonys rise as a first party is insane aswell. They went from selling 5m-10m to 20m-30m. Insane growth. Have to give credit for that.
They didn't market their games as aggressively with high budgets in the PS3 era and they didn't have that many first party game bundles. At least i don't remember. Also they sold 50% more consoles in the PS4 era.

I remember everyone raging about god of war Ragnaroks squeeze through cracks yet, Plague Tale came out a month before it and had twice as many and it was never mentioned in reviews
So weird that gamers get triggered by these. Functionally they work the same as ladders, elevators or doors that take a while to open but gamers don't seem to mind them!

They didn't market their games as aggressively with high budgets in the PS3 era and they didn't have that many first party game bundles. At least i don't remember. Also they sold 50% more consoles in the PS4 era.

More importantly, they managed to capture the masses aswell. Sony have found the perfect balance of finding the hardcore and casual crowd. Both audiences enjoy their games and that's why they sell so well.

mrmustard

Banned
More importantly, they managed to capture the masses aswell. Sony have found the perfect balance of finding the hardcore and casual crowd. Both audiences enjoy their games and that's why they sell so well.
I don't know the sales of Ratchet and Clank or Returnal or Demon Souls, but i doubt they will even reach 5 millions although they're good games. And the reason is that compared to Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon or TLOU they almost had no marketing. Take away that agressive >100 million dollar marketing and i bet none of those games would even sell 10 million copies.

I don't know the sales of Ratchet and Clank or Returnal or Demon Souls, but i doubt they will even reach 5 millions although they're good games. And the reason is that compared to Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon or TLOU they almost had no marketing. Take away that agressive >100 million dollar marketing and i bet none of those games would even sell 10 million copies.

So all that's needed is marketing and a game will sell 20m? Yeah I think I'm done.

R&C def had aggressive marketing….the reason those games didn’t sell is because they were ps5 only and the shortage was severe the first two years. It didn’t make sense to spend more money on marketing with less than a 10m install base. By the time people were able to get them other games were out.

I’d even say R&C got more promo than Miles got that first year.

1280x720.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
So all that's needed is marketing and a game will sell 20m? Yeah I think I'm done.
Of course it helps a lot or do you think they are spending so much money just for fun?
R&C def had aggressive marketing….the reason those games didn’t sell is because they were ps5 only and the shortage was severe the first two years. It didn’t make sense to spend more money on marketing with less than a 10m install base. By the time people were able to get them other games were out.

I’d even say R&C got more promo than Miles got that first year.

1280x720.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Sure it got some marketing, but not even close to said games. Same with Deathloop. Big marketing also makes sense with a low install base, because if a game is well known and spread it sells for years, because people think it's a must have. If i look at the Elden Ring sales i must say it's a shame they didn't market Demon Souls or Bloodborne much more.

No, the reason is none of them were system sellers. They were starter games for the PS5. New Insomniac misses why the original games sold well so R&C outside the outlier remake in 2016, always has listed appeal.

Returnal wasn't much more then a one playthrough basic game with AAA paint with a concept that wasn't clear I'm the marketing to normal consumers.

The last was a remake of a niche PS3 game.

Meanwhile, Ghost wasn't marketed as much as any of the last 4 games you mentioned, but sold more than the first 3 games you mentioned combined.

We all know what you are doing. Stop with the console war bait or you will be removed.
Keep in mind, he is fresh off of a ban for console warring. He is back at it.

This is the problem with some of you, you think any criticism of a game you want to play is console warring. There is no one here who thinks starfield is going to be a graphical or technical showcase this gen. Bethesda games never do that.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Keep in mind, he is fresh off of a ban for console warring. He is back at it.

Don't worry about that. We have multiple other warriors coming in an trying to defend his actions. Even if he falls, there will be 3 more to replace him.

I’d even say R&C got more promo than Miles got that first year
People always ignore these actual, common sense arguments.
It came at a time you couldn't buy a PS5, of course it didn't sell. Games don't get a second launch, and launch is, except in rare cases, about 60% of lifetime sales.

Yes, some games are different, GTA5, etc, but they are the exceptions to the rule.

People always ignore these actual, common sense arguments.
It came at a time you couldn't buy a PS5, of course it didn't sell. Games don't get a second launch, and launch is, except in rare cases, about 60% of lifetime sales.

Yes, some games are different, GTA5, etc, but they are the exceptions to the rule.
Ratchet and clank games sell okay, but nothing great because the genre the game is in. A mediocre COD game will outsell pretty much every game that comes out for the year.

VAVA Mk2

over two years into the generation now and it really does feel like nothing really impressive has come out for current gen only outside of Demon’s Souls and Ratchet and Clank (games with actual characters and stories). The closest thing so far has been TLOU Part 1 and Horizon, and the former is a remake and the latter is cross-gen, but yet they are still the best looking games of 2022.

My point is, if not SIE who’s really making games on that level, with that polish, fidelity, animation, and still has competent gameplay? Rockstar is up there but they only make one game per generation now, its hard to even consider them when they don’t even have a consistent release cadence anymore. They launch games as rarely as the consoles.

There’s tons of developers making boomer shooters, metroidvanias, diablo likes, zelda knocks off, and then theres WRPG’s like witcher or bethesda game that while large have the same ugly stiff animations, bad controls…etc

Its telling that the only real ‘next gen’ thing people have to look forward to is Spider-man 2, which isn’t even something im super excited about tbh but we’re at a point where it feels like only one publisher is still really focused on big budget, polished single player games.

People can say they want more AA or indie stuff until they’re blue in the face but the last 3 platform showcases have been underwhelming. People want big current gen titles already, people want to see something exciting. Not ports and remasters
EWaym5j.gif

kuncol02

Banned
And trying to literally use the ending scene of Half Life isn't gonna cut it, you just defeated the final boss and jumped into the teleporter, game is over, you're just seeing the epilogue, the closing curtain. And you knew the mechanic behind teleports, you know what they do, they... teleport you.
It doesn't cut because even then game isn't taking control from you for some cutscene like Uncharted for example is doing all the time, but you still have control of everything you character can do (which is almost nothing because you are immobilized and can only look around).

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sony needs to make an AAA FPS and RPG series

They did. Now the studio that made that AAA FPS series makes a generic, mediocre Open World Ubisoft clone. But then again, Killzone 3 was a major downgrade from Killzone 2.

Last edited:
Ratchet and clank games sell okay, but nothing great because the genre the game is in. A mediocre COD game will outsell pretty much every game that comes out for the year.
I mean, if you're comparing Ratchet to CoD, your whole premise is faulty. They are fundamentally different with fundamentally different audiences.

E-Cat

Are we just pretending that Fable, Starfield, and Elder Scrolls VI aren't going to happen? Or are those not "AAAAAA" enough titles? Also, Halo Infinite was great, except that they didn't release promised single-player features, and they butchered multi-player. But the single-player campaign they made was on point. And what about Forza Horizon 5?
Elder Scrolls VI is next-next-gen.

Top Bottom