• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m okay with Nintendo making their own hardware but I wish they would put their games on other systems too

_Ex_

what-year-is-it-jumanji.gif

//DEVIL//

Well they are not stupid like Sony. Software is what sells your hardware. If your software is somewhere and probably better version too ( even if abit late ), then no need to buy that hardware now is there ?

Eh. Their profit mostly comes from content and services, not hardware. They’d survive. In the world of business, the name of the game is adapt or die 🤷‍♂️.

But I do not think this will happen in the next 10 years, at least. Not if their own hardware keeps selling upwards of 100+ million per platform cycle. They have more business now than they know what to do with.
These posts totally miss the point of verticality. It's just like Apple. With their hardware, Nintendo get to design and market their games, their way, and don't have to fight for mindshare or forfeit a cut of the profit.

mrmustard

Banned
Why Do you want to kill Nintendo? Sony and Microsoft can survive without exclusives, because people prefer 3rd party anyways. Nintendo can't.

There is no doubt that Nintendo games would be even better if they were on the PS5. It would be amazing to play the new Zelda at 4K/60 rather than sub 900p 30fps but sadly that isn't the reality. Nintendo would do well as a third party developer and I have absolutely no doubt they would sell even more. However unlike their competitors Nintendo actually sells their hardware at a profit and is very successful at doing it. They can sell outdated hardware with specifications below their rivals for a high price. Same goes for the games. The budget of Animal Crossing will be a tiny fraction of Forbidden West but will sell more units. Nintendo would need a lobotomy to change their business model.

ahtlas7

And who wouldn't be, when "that-other-system" is the third best-selling games console of all time and climbing?
That’s exactly right. It’s a great market position for them. There is very little competition in their gaming segment. They fit right in-between mobile devices and powerful home consoles. Make no mistake, being “other” ain’t bad.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Switch Oled is the best hardware on the market. You can run from it, you can cry about it, but deep down you know it’s true.

There would be literally no point in buying Nintendo hardware then. The exclusives are probably the biggest appeal of owning the console. The lack of exclusives and games being available to everyone is IMO the main factors hurting Microsoft.

Tams

Absolutely stupid thread OP.

Nintendo do so well because they have so many exclusive games that they usually ensure are tailored to their hardware.

Their games sell their hardware, and their hardware sells their games.

They'd be absolutely stupid and insane to follow your advice.

Tams

There is no doubt that Nintendo games would be even better if they were on the PS5. It would be amazing to play the new Zelda at 4K/60 rather than sub 900p 30fps but sadly that isn't the reality. Nintendo would do well as a third party developer and I have absolutely no doubt they would sell even more. However unlike their competitors Nintendo actually sells their hardware at a profit and is very successful at doing it. They can sell outdated hardware with specifications below their rivals for a high price. Same goes for the games. The budget of Animal Crossing will be a tiny fraction of Forbidden West but will sell more units. Nintendo would need a lobotomy to change their business model.

You easily can play Nintendo games at higher settings if you have a PC.

That you can't be bothered just shows that you don't actually like Nintendo games that much. And that's one reason why Nintendo won't release games on other platforms: people like you won't turn up to buy them.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Yeah, let's put on steam and see what it does for it's direct competitor steam deck.

Why people pretend that the reason they want Nintendo games on their platform is purely selfish instead of business related?

LakeOf9

Yeah, let's put on steam and see what it does for it's direct competitor steam deck.

Why people pretend that the reason they want Nintendo games on their platform is purely selfish instead of business related?
I didn’t pretend there was any business reason, I said that’s what I want and that I can’t see it hurting their business as much.

Clearly others disagree oh well

I didn’t pretend there was any business reason, I said that’s what I want and that I can’t see it hurting their business as much.

Again, verticality, and not having to compete with other games on other platforms.

They would still do well, but only with their marquee releases (Mario, Zelda and Pokemon), and Splatoon, for one, wouldn't be doing gangbusters like it does on Switch. They would have to target other system specs, which would take additional time as they wouldn't enjoy the same direct access to dev tech. (Though it's arguably a lot simpler since almost everything else is some x86 permutation.) And of course they would pay royalties to the platform holders.

Tams

Because it's pretty clear that your idea would be a very bad business move.

And probably not good for gaming in general. No one else makes a lightweight handheld local (not cloud) gaming device, that's cheap and innovative, and who make a considerable number of games that try to make use of those special features.

The Steam Deck is big and bulky (as are it's competitors) and Valve only make small software tweaks to promote things like the trackpads. The Switch is thin and light, with better battery life, and Nintendo make whole games to get the hardware included used.

Trilobit

I loved the Wiimote and still do. Played Metroid Prime with it and it was very immersive. I like that Nintendo takes weird risks and acts like a toy company rather than a software developer. It makes the gaming industry much more interesting. I personally wish that the Switch would have been much more powerful so that I could have played an even more beautiful version of BotW.

But that same console allowed me to play games with the detachable and simple little joycons, which made it an excellent party console with four controllers I could easily bring to my friends house. With the ability to play fun minigames in Mario Party due to the controllers capabilities. I don't think that would have ever happened with Sony or Microsoft.

Goalus

Nintendo would laugh you out of the room and then probably have someone put a bag over your head and throw you into a trunk while leaving the building for even suggesting something like that, because they'd sooner nail their dicks to a desk than even consider a possibility that they wouldn't be able to choke the lifeblood out of their consumer base and be the control freaks that they are by releasing games on a platform that they don't hold in absolute power.
This will continue to work until they develop, produce and release their next Wii U.

Tams

This will continue to work until they develop, produce and release their next Wii U.

Lol. The industry is not old enough for any trends to be recognisable, if there even are any (and yes, this applies to more than just Nintendo).

Hell, even with economics, the data isn't really long enough, nor the field old enough to accurately predict much.

I thought we knew this here, mocking the likes of Monsieur Patcher. But apparently some of us don't.

PeteBull

If nintendo fans, which we got close to 120m around the world- aka switch console owners, would be given an option to play their games looking and running few times better, while spending 0 bucks instead of 70$ like now(cant pretend piracy on pc doesnt exist, we even get pirated games that were using infamous denuvo software, which is so nasty it literally lowers performance of games, as proven with resident evil village), going onward with new zelda, u would not only have crazy big decline in console sales, but coz of that even bigger decline in games sales, just compare how well mario kart 8 sold on wiiu which had tiny instal base vs how it performed on switch with humongous instal base.
Spoilers- 8,5m sold copies on wiiu vs 52m on switch(deluxe edition), nuff said. data straight from the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Kart_8

Goalus

Lol. The industry is not old enough for any trends to be recognisable, if there even are any (and yes, this applies to more than just Nintendo).

Hell, even with economics, the data isn't really long enough, nor the field old enough to accurately predict much.

I thought we knew this here, mocking the likes of Monsieur Patcher. But apparently some of us don't.
What does a "trend" have to do with anything I wrote?
A trend is a sequence of rising lows or falling tops in a chart.

I say if Nintendo happen to find themselves in a Wii U situation again, they are in a bad position because they don't have a companion handheld anymore.

Tams

I say if Nintendo happen to find themselves in a Wii U situation again, they are in a bad position because they don't have a companion handheld anymore.

You are assuming that they will have flop again like that, and we don't know how their product line-up will change in the future.

Woopah

It goes the other way too. By only having one platform to focus on, the chance of another Wii U happening is much much lower.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ask Sony how putting games on pc is working for them. Pc is like keep bringing these exclusives so I can keep making you money.

dano1

A Sheep
If they like money and they do. Do what they do best. Make games and stop making lackluster hardware! Would easily triple their profits.

Liamario

Banned
The solution is simple. Make 2 SKUs. A cheap gimped one that's more financially palatable and a more powerful 4k capable one for those who would prefer that.

I don’t mind Nintendo making their own consoles, they have some interesting ideas and the Switch in particular is great.

But I just wish their games, at least their high end games, weren’t tied to their hardware only. I’m talking about stuff like Zelda and Mario and Metroid, which I would love to play on a PS5 or PC. These games are just crying to be on more powerful hardware - emulated zelda looks gorgeous, and I wish Nintendo would make it official.

And I get that Nintendo systems are sold on the back of their first party but I’m not asking for all their games to come to other systems, just some of them. And also, the switch sells itself, it’s the concept and hardware that people love to the extent that they buy third party games on there even when they’re obviously worse than anywhere else, it’s why the switch version of P5R outsold all the other ones, or why the Witcher 3 and Skyrim sold a million on Switch when much better versions exist.

The other thing is, the switch isn’t a full home console, that’s a market Nintendo has now left completely. So even if botw was on PC or ps5, it’s catering to a different part of the market than the switch does.

And these games don’t even have to launch day and date. Botw is six years old, and its sequel is out next month. It’s probably sold as much hardware as it will. Put that on at least PC (I get why no PS5). Get it a second wind of sales, meanwhile it drives interest in totk.

I don’t know, I love Nintendo games but they suck so much as a company and their business decisions make no sense. I think gamers would benefit from Nintendo games being on more powerful hardware, even with all the caveats I listed above.
you can play them on pc for free.

kingyala

Banned
no... it sounds good but the rarity and what makes nintendo special is its games... and nowadays playstation has ruined itself by realising its top titles to pc.. because the new ceo's dont understand what made this brands special. soon enough people will start asking themselves why do i need a playstation when i could get a pc and play all playstation, xbox, nintendo games... the idea sounds liberating but it destroys what made a console special... its like passing ur wife around to ur friends so u can make them happy and now u married a whore.

Top Bottom