• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m playing RE4 (original) for the first time

GooseMan69

And holy shit what a great game.

I’ve literally been meaning to play this for like 15 years. I don’t know why I never got around to it. 5 was my first RE game back in 09 or whenever it came out. Wanted to go back and play 4, but new games kept coming out, then a new console, and then another new console...and so on. Played RE 2 and 3 remakes as well. Loved those (3 not as much so). 2 Remake is probably one of my favorite games ever honestly. Then I played the demo for RE4 remake and said FUCK IT. I’m playing the damn original.

Upon booting it up for the first time, I thought “WTF are these controls??” Probably the normal reaction for anybody playing it for the first time in the current age where most games control roughly the same. Just fighting one enemy felt like a herculean task. Honestly, I was about to say nah, can’t do it. But something kept me playing. After clumsily running around the village and making my way through the first chapter, things started to click. I was getting used to the tank controls. I was starting to learn how to deal with crowds of enemies . And fuck it’s starting to feel amazing to play. I love the atmosphere. I love the goofy story. I love how thoughtfully designed each section is. No open world bloat or bullshit filler. Thank god.

Can’t wait to keep playing. I can’t believe a damn near 20 year old game has me this hooked. No nostalgia blinders here. This game is the shit. RE4 fanboys were right (I think, unless the game tanks later on).

I started playing it too after the hype of the remake got to me and i finished the demo. I had it at launch on Gamecube and LOVED it but haven't replayed it in 10ish years. Well kind of. I bought the HD version on PS3 and PS4 as well but only kept playing the first hour each time.
Now Im About 4 hours in. Having a great time. Cant wait to beat it and then play the remake to go “ooooh ahhhh so beautiful“ comparing it to the original. Enjoy the ride OP.

Soodanim

Gold Member
PC? If so, stop and go download the RE4HD mod. The most faithful texture mod ever created, because they used brand new photos of the same real world things the devs took photos of to create them. The same cracks in walls, the same architecture, etc.

nush

Gold Member
It’s unbelievable lol. I’ve been gaming since Crash 1.
OIP-C.uoqvH6f-7fKmkToMrR5GfAHaEK

Eimran

Definitely try to finish professional mode and 5 star everything in mercenaries mode.
Getting these respectively gives you the PLR 412(Plaga Laser Remover) and the handcannon.

You get a fun playthrough on God Mode.

Played it on GC, Wii, X1, and PC. Considering buying it on sale for the Switch. No matter what anyone says the remake won’t surpass it. Having played the demo, it’s not bad at all, but despite having “modern” controls it feels way floatier and worse to play than the original. Also original RE4 Leon is a chad; nuLeon is emo.

JakeWolf

The combat still holds up because it was incredibly well designed, the idea of ''commiting to your position'' really needs to be explored more in shooters. Not letting player move while they aim is a genius deisgn.

I’ve literally been meaning to play this for like 15 years. I don’t know why I never got around to it. 5 was my first RE game back in 09 or whenever it came out. Wanted to go back and play 4, but new games kept coming out, then a new console, and then another new console...and so on. Played RE 2 and 3 remakes as well. Loved those (3 not as much so). 2 Remake is probably one of my favorite games ever honestly. Then I played the demo for RE4 remake and said FUCK IT. I’m playing the damn original.

Upon booting it up for the first time, I thought “WTF are these controls??” Probably the normal reaction for anybody playing it for the first time in the current age where most games control roughly the same. Just fighting one enemy felt like a herculean task. Honestly, I was about to say nah, can’t do it. But something kept me playing. After clumsily running around the village and making my way through the first chapter, things started to click. I was getting used to the tank controls. I was starting to learn how to deal with crowds of enemies . And fuck it’s starting to feel amazing to play. I love the atmosphere. I love the goofy story. I love how thoughtfully designed each section is. No open world bloat or bullshit filler. Thank god.

Can’t wait to keep playing. I can’t believe a damn near 20 year old game has me this hooked. No nostalgia blinders here. This game is the shit. RE4 fanboys were right (I think, unless the game tanks later on).

Funny I've played the Remake Demo on PS5 and fuck me are those controles terrible :D

I need to get used to them again. Took me a few tries to survive the first encounter with the villagers.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ff7 remake and re2 remake and re4 remake.
What a time to be alive. Good games still exist

Skifi28

I still go back and play it once a year just for the gameplay, there's nothing else quite like it. I must have finished it over 15 times on pretty much all platforms. What a game.

VN1X

Banned
What a coincidence! I fired up RE4 (+ HD Project) for the first time in decades yesterday and was instantly transported to my younger years, sitting behind the big ol' CRT TV in my parents' house on the Gamecube; just being absolutely mesmerized by videogames as a whole what with HL2 coming out the year before followed up by this.

Enjoy! It holds up really well and is a blast to play. Especially with the aforementioned mod that allows for 4K60 performance (and a higher FOV). I'm about 3 hours in so far and, despite me checking out speedruns and other content over the years, I'm surprised by how much I've actually forgotten. It's almost as if I'm playing it for the first time again, taking it all in and making me even more excited for the remake. I already find myself imagining how certain environments will look in the 2023 version hah. Can't wait.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I wish you could move and shoot.

But first time I played it I loved it

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
if you have the time to install a bunch of mods on PC the hd rework gets the game looking pretty good even for it's age

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Homie kept consuming products rather than going back and playing certified good games? Smh.

The slope many people fall for.

I did Gamecube>Wii>PS5. Played it last year, it really does hold up.

Remake isn't even necessary really after replaying it but that's another thing to talk about after it comes out.

VN1X

Banned
if you have the time to install a bunch of mods on PC the hd rework gets the game looking pretty good even for it's age
The only one you need is HD Project as it incorporates the latest version of RE4_Tweaks. So install the game on Steam. Install the HD Project. Launch game. Profit!

SpearFist

Greatest game ever along with Dark souls. 15+ playthroughs here and already bought the remake.

Cant fuckin Wait.

RE4 is gaming peak.

I like RE4 as a game not in the same wave length as the previous games. But because it is a sequel, I find it hard not to compare them.

Yeah. RE4 kind of "killed" the survival horror genre. But I think it is also the sole reason RE is still around today. The commercial success of RE4 prevented RE from dying off, due to the fixed camera angles titles being more staler by 2005 than mouldy blue cheese left in a barrel for 200 years. But I do find that it's not really a horror game, per se. More like an action game with shades of the genre in it. ;)

Like, I always said that it feels silly killing these angry villagers and getting a lot of ammo falling out of their asses, when these mofos aren't even yielding any firearms. :D

Hey, NeoGAF. Maybe give people a chance to edit posts before this 'last edited' malarkey appears.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Not being able to move and shoot, and the shaky laser sight are what made it what it is. Being unable to move causes you to plan ahead and use quick thinking. Shaky aim means you need to line up your shot precisely and ensure it's not going to go off before shooting. Ironically it's more interactive that way.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Haha, we must be living parallel lives! I played it last year for the first time too and thought it was excellent.

Same reaction with the controls especially after playing Re2 remake. It had just been awhile since I'd used tank controls and I was getting stomped in the opening area. Just kept starting over the opening until I was comfortable.

Excited to play the RE4 remake when I get the chance.

Plus I'm a ballastics man.

Ashley-and-Leon-RE4-Remake.jpg

The controls are pretty much the only thing about the game that needs some getting used to. Was the case for me too.

Really happy you got into it!
It's a game everyone should at least try.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Upon booting it up for the first time, I thought “WTF are these controls??” Probably the normal reaction for anybody playing it for the first time in the current age
TBH, I thought that the controls were strange even at the time because I was used to third person shooters with full WSAD and mouse controls. But then it sort of starts to make sense as you continue to play the game because it just adds to the tension and challenge.

They even added aim motion in later games but it didn't help that much because it just makes more sense that if you want to shoot accurately then you'd stop to take proper aim. This became even more relatable after I played this game in VR, or just started playing VR shooters in general. It's just hard to hit things when you're moving, and stopping to assume proper stance and aim your gun is just something that you would do naturally in IRL.

Top Bottom