• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I actually prefer Spider-Man (PS5) at 30fps.

Apparently only 144fps is acceptable.
I used to play on PC with a 144Hz monitor and while some games it was amazing (like Rocket League), other games it didn't make much of a difference to me. Sold that monitor and went to 4K and haven't looked back since. 4K is a much better upgrade for a person like me vs Hz. I'll gladly play in 30fps for maximum detail before I turn the graphics down for more frames.

For example, I played the entire Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 30fps on PC just to have the graphics maxed out. I know 30fps on PC is illegal to some people but I didn't care. I play the way I want to play. I wish people could respect that frame rate is NOT objectively better.

Actually input lag can be drastically reduced even with 30fps games. I read an interview with the developers of DriveClub and they process the inputs before the graphics so you get almost 60Hz input response but with 30fps gameplay. For example, Mortal Kombat X at 60fps has an input lag of 107ms whereas DriveClub had 116ms at 30fps. That's a difference of 9ms which would be indistinguishable.

The fact is, console developers have tricks to get the input response as fast as possible even on 30fps games. Try playing Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4/PS5 and you'll notice the input response is very fast and doesn't feel like it lags behind at all. Same thing with Spider-Man remastered at 30fps... the controls feel very responsive to me.
107ms is attrocious input lag and indicates to me that it's using multiple pre-rendered frames, nobody taking it seriously would ever do that. With the proper setup 60FPS can be in the range of 30-40ms, 50-60ms VSynced. 30FPS will never get even remotely near that, and the reason is simple...in a vaccum, assuming all other things being lagless (and they're not), the minimum theoretical lag you can achieve at 30 FPS is 33ms. In practice it's much higher, 80ms+.

107ms is attrocious input lag and indicates to me that it's using multiple pre-rendered frames, nobody taking it seriously would ever do that. With the proper setup 60FPS can be in the range of 30-40ms, 50-60ms VSynced. 30FPS will never get even remotely near that, and the reason is simple...in a vaccum, assuming all other things being lagless (and they're not), the minimum theoretical lag you can achieve at 30 FPS is 33ms. In practice it's much higher, 80ms+.
I was just giving you an example of how input lag isn't a cut and dry thing. Just because the game is 60fps, doesn't mean it's always more responsive. Like I said, play HZD at 30fps and it feels really snappy and responsive.

I was just giving you an example of how input lag isn't a cut and dry thing. Just because the game is 60fps, doesn't mean it's always more responsive. Like I said, play HZD at 30fps and it feels really snappy and responsive.
Sure there's a lot that goes into response time when you compare one title to another, but if you isolate to a single game, it will always be more responsive at faster framerates. HZD is a well optimized responsive and enjoyable game on PS4. It's significantly more fluid and responsive on PC at 120fps. Utterly transformative.

MAX PAYMENT

Imagine being so brainwashed by a *limitation * that you start perceiving it as a feature.

Thirty fps is inferior, in all circumstances...period. The Stockholm Syndrome from console gamers who can't get over the abuse of 30 fps and embrace a better option is sad.

If there were a 60 fps Spider-Man option with all the bells and whistles and a 120hz version with turned down settings you'd be here extolling the virtues of 60fps and how it's superior to 120hz. The fact is, the *only* reason why 30 fps has *ever* been acceptable is because developers have used the power to make things prettier.

No, but just admit why you're doing it. If you could get the same exact graphics at twice the framerate you'd choose it. Your love for 30 fps begins and ends with the fact that you have no choice.
I thought the fidelity vs framerate argument was always there. I don't see many hiding it.

Sure there's a lot that goes into response time when you compare one title to another, but if you isolate to a single game, it will always be more responsive at faster framerates. HZD is a well optimized responsive and enjoyable game on PS4. It's significantly more fluid and responsive on PC at 120fps. Utterly transformative.
I think people have forgotten what transformative actually means. But also, based on HZD benchmarks, you have to downgrade it quite a bit visually to get 120fps.

I've started playing this again and forgot how great the combat feels but I've controversially gone back to the 60fps non RT mode. It feels so much more responsive at 60fps so it was between that and and the 60fps RT mode but the RT mode has minor frame rate drops which cause judder and I'm not loving the RT to be honest so no big advantage to playing with RT looks wise.

Sometimes the RT can make scenes look amazing like this:

4NSfcrW.jpg

But more often it looks like this with super low quality reflections and missing stuff:

w754Gfd.jpg

krR1H3r.jpg

I'm not saying the cube maps look good as they don't but a lot of the time neither do the RT reflections so solid 60fps and higher resolution it is.

Danknugz

I know this sounds like crazy conspiracy talk but threads like this sometimes get me thinking that there’s some kind of industry wide push by a cabal of developers and their employers who would benefit from the notion that gamers really prefer 30 FPS / don’t care about 60 FPS so they don’t have to waste time /energy/resources optimizing games.

I know this sounds like crazy conspiracy talk but threads like this sometimes get me thinking that there’s some kind of industry wide push by a cabal of developers and their employers who would benefit from the notion that gamers really prefer 30 FPS / don’t care about 60 FPS so they don’t have to waste time /energy/resources optimizing games.
It's definitely conspiracy talk. I just don't care about frame rates or any technical details.
I just want games that are fun to play.

If there's some kind of situation where 30fps allows the game to do other things with resources then fine by me.
I don't actually know how it works so I'm not bothered.

Wasn't the PS4 generation mostly 30fps?
It's strange when we've had this console since 2013 and now that a new one comes along those games are "unplayable" or something.

What should I be looking for in a game that makes me say "wow, 60fps is the best thing ever"?

Danknugz

It's definitely conspiracy talk. I just don't care about frame rates or any technical details.
I just want games that are fun to play.

If there's some kind of situation where 30fps allows the game to do other things with resources then fine by me.
I don't actually know how it works so I'm not bothered.

Wasn't the PS4 generation mostly 30fps?
It's strange when we've had this console since 2013 and now that a new one comes along those games are "unplayable" or something.

What should I be looking for in a game that makes me say "wow, 60fps is the best thing ever"?
In a best case scenario, yes, the developers will opt for 30 FPS if they honestly believe in their work and want to have more bandwidth for other resources, this works well with slower paced games like turn based rpg where frame rate isn’t as noticeable.

sadly, that’s a very slippery slope because the choice of the developer between actually using the freed up resources from having half the frame rate, or just calling it a day and moving onto the next project (which is a lot more lucrative than simply optimizing performance to satisfy fans for obvious reasons) is entirely at their/the studios discretion and I think you’ll find in most cases it is the latter, unless its some hugely popular game that people play constantly to the point that optimizing the game actually provides more return than moving onto the next, which seems to be more the exception than the norm.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I've started playing this again and forgot how great the combat feels but I've controversially gone back to the 60fps non RT mode. It feels so much more responsive at 60fps so it was between that and and the 60fps RT mode but the RT mode has minor frame rate drops which cause judder and I'm not loving the RT to be honest so no big advantage to playing with RT looks wise.

Sometimes the RT can make scenes look amazing like this:

4NSfcrW.jpg

But more often it looks like this with super low quality reflections and missing stuff:

w754Gfd.jpg

krR1H3r.jpg

I'm not saying the cube maps look good as they don't but a lot of the time neither do the RT reflections so solid 60fps and higher resolution it is.

That's Performance RT mode on Spider-man MM?

Wunray

Kinda late on this but....
Captain America Laughing GIF by mtv

Lmao Lol GIF

But to play devil's advocate, spiderman MM has good frame pacing so it's 30fps is smoother, but I will never prefer it over 60fps.

That's Performance RT mode on Spider-man MM?
Yeah the performance RT mode.

Sometimes it looks amazing sometimes really poor but when like 25% of the surfaces are glass they obviously have to omit some stuff from the reflection or things would just get crazy.

Don't tell anyone in the 60fps thread but 30fps is actually ok in this game as it is rock solid locked with consistent frame times so if you must have RT it's not bad.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah the performance RT mode.

Sometimes it looks amazing sometimes really poor but when like 25% of the surfaces are glass they obviously have to omit some stuff from the reflection or things would just get crazy.

Don't tell anyone in the 60fps thread but 30fps is actually ok in this game as it is rock solid locked with consistent frame times so if you must have RT it's not bad.

Yes they had to make some cut backs on RT for the Performance RT mode. Still I think it's the best mode overall. I finished the game before it was there, so played in Fidelity mode and it was gorgeous with pristine IQ. Some direct feed from my PS5:

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Miles-Morales-20201125110553.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Miles-Morales-20201124154423.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Miles-Morales-20201125123148.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Miles-Morales-20201125174816.png

So ridiculing the OP for preferring 30fps is pretty stupid, even if you prefer 60fps. People have different preferences. Also 30fps tend to hide animations imperfections that 60fps and higher tend to expose which can be an immersion breaker.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
60 fps unless 30 fps looks so much better and it's a slow paced game (turn based strategy game or Skyrim kind of game which rarely has fast paced scenes). Yet I have never seen a game where going from 30 to 60 makes the game so much worse.

60 fps also helps get rid of the need for motion blur and shitty camera panning.

I just don't see how 4k and ray-tracing is ever worth the loss in frame rates. I don't know about you all, but I play my video games. I don't sit still and admire the number of pixels in a reflection in a pane of glass.

More responsive? Undeniable. Transformative? Not if you lived through several console generations and enjoyed games immensely that scale the spectrum of framerates.
I just don't see how 4k and ray-tracing is ever worth the loss in frame rates. I don't know about you all, but I play my video games. I don't sit still and admire the number of pixels in a reflection in a pane of glass.
I play video games too, the game being what I can do in it, the mechanics and the story. I don't sit still and make sure my frame counter is hitting an arbitrary number.

SkylineRKR

30fps isn't unplayable for Miles Morales but I still stick with 60. I wouldn't mind a 40fps mode though. I played Forbidden West at 40 and it actually felt good enough. Its again not as good as 60 but closer to that than 30 and you keep all bells and whistles.

More responsive? Undeniable. Transformative? Not if you lived through several console generations and enjoyed games immensely that scale the spectrum of framerates.

I play video games too, the game being what I can do in it, the mechanics and the story. I don't sit still and make sure my frame counter is hitting an arbitrary number.
Yes. Transformative. Take any of those games from the past, port them to modern tech with a higher frame rate and it’s objectively better. God of war on ps4? Fantastic game. God of war on ps5 at 60fps? Even better. Worth a replay if you haven’t tried it.

Goodness we have countless examples of back compat games with upgraded frame rates and how much of a catastrophic improvement it makes to the experience. Imagine how much more amazing Red Dead Redemption 2 would be on console with a frame boost?

Transformative for sure. And they better be considering some companies charge for the privilege in certain ports (looking at you Control)

Last edited:
Fps dialoges with astethics. Most games are nicer at 60fps because it makes sense for that game. Beliving that 60 is just better shows that the person maybe is lacking a more mature understanding of one of the process that creates density, feel or atmosphere.
Best example for me still is ocarina of time with its 20fps. That frame rate in that game is amazing, it pushes the atmosphere to an amazing dark tone and imersion. Todays OoT 4K textures with 60fps bucther the game, it feels lightweighted, naive and loose its feel.

lower framerates can add perceived weight/impact to some games.

think about a recoil animation.
@ 60fps, you get 2x the frames compared to 30fps, so the recoil will appear smoother.
but @ 30fps, the animation will appear jerkier, which may actually compliment the animation, making the recoil feel more substantial.
plus, at 30fps, you're receiving less visual information, so your brain/imagination tends to fill in the gaps, emphasizing/de-emphasizing/personalizing things along the way.

ZgtzKc3.png

at 30fps, the first frame of ryu knocked back is further than at 60 fps, so you might think "whoa, ryu got hit harder".

and i mean, filmmakers still opt for 24fps when 60fps, 120fps, etc are available. fps can be a presentation tool.

that said, i prefer most games at 40fps+.

Last edited:

Crayon

I actually do find the look of 30fps appealing in some limited instances. It's not worth it for the hit to response time, though.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

@ 60fps, you get 2x the frames compared to 30fps, so the recoil will appear smoother.
but @ 30fps, the animation will appear jerkier, which may actually compliment the animation, making the recoil feel more substantial.
plus, at 30fps, you're receiving less visual information, so your brain/imagination tends to fill in the gaps, emphasizing/de-emphasizing/personalizing things along the way.

ZgtzKc3.png

at 30fps, the first frame of ryu knocked back is further than at 60 fps, so you might think "whoa, ryu got hit harder".

and i mean, filmmakers still opt for 24fps when 60fps, 120fps, etc are available. fps can be a presentation tool.

maybe yet maybe not... I think brain is better at creating animation than you think just by counting frames

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I love to see how the same five 30fps-warriors are liking each others comments and really supporting their cause.

You guys should start a band.

ClosBSAS

nah even 60 sucks ass....120 or above, or fucking bust. but i can see why op would like it at 30, but 30 on pc aint the same as 30 on console

Interfectum

Don’t be closed minded…some games were designed with 30 fps in mind and 60 fps feels wrong…Example, I like 60 fps Patch on PS5 better in TLOU II, but 30 was very cinematic and Naughty Dog removed per object motion blur for 60 fps…learn to learn without hating something automatically…😉

The Lion King Throw GIF

Gandih42

ZgtzKc3.png

I might be wrong, but isn't this more related to using hit-stop frames rather than targeting a lower framerate? Your point that frame rates affects how we perceive the action still stands of course, but I think the concept of manipulating frames to emphasize motion, impact, etc. in this example comes from deliberately removing frames and would work at whichever frame rate the game works on. Most action games using this kind of frame removal to make hits feel more impactful (to my knowledge) target at least 60 FPS for fluid action in between, such as MGS:Rising, DMC, Bayo, Nier, modern fighting games etc. I'd personally count it different from the cinematic "30 FPS vs. fluid 60 FPS" debate :)

Pagusas

Elden Member
Some people also prefer to be hit and called names OP, its all the same. You're just different, embrace it. Just don't talk about it in public, that would be weird.

Top Bottom