• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am going to Singapore and Indonesia, where to go for Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Singapore from Sunday night to Tuesday evening, Indonesia from Tuesday night to Friday morning.

Its all bidness, but i should be able to steal away for a couple of hours in each city (Jakarta, Sing)

Any hotspots for videogames where i should go?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Are you looking for game stores or arcades? If it's the latter, here are a couple in Singapore that you'll want to check out.

Virtualand
200 Victoria St. #B1-02/03
Parco Bugis Junction, Singapore 188021

Zone-X
60A Orchard Rd. B1 #04/05/06
Dhoby Ghaut Orchard Atrium, Singapore

sonatinas

its a pretty chill place, the people are pretty nice, and as for games u can just go to any game store and im sure its all priated stuff, in cities its mad easy to find, actually it will find you

duckroll

If you're looking for game stores, you can find quite a few here, depending on what kinda stuff you (NTSC UC/ NTSC J, etc). I'm not going to recommend any stores selling bootleg stuff though.

For a pretty wide range of stuff for GC, X-Box, PS2, GBA, etc you can check out Seow Choon. It's located at 13 to 15 Jalan Besa. It's actually across the road from Sim Lim Tower as well as Sim Lim Square (which every cab driver should know). It's directly across the road where Sim Lim Tower is on one side and it's on the row of shop houses on the other side. From Sim Lim Square you can walk across the roads in the direction where you see Sim Lim Tower. A word of caution though, they might pull a fast one on you if they think you're gullible so if the price sounds really high you might wanna haggle or just not buy it. :) You can find pics here: http://www.seowchoon.com/catalog/companyinfo.php

If you're interested in older limited edition Japanese game stuff there are two stores I know which might have stuff Seow Choon doesn't. One is Game-1 located inside Hougang Mall on the 3rd or 4th floor. Another is a store I went to once before, it's located either on the first floor in the in the basement of City Plaza (opposite the Payar Lebar train station). I can't recall the name nor do I know if it's still there, but I saw quite a few Japanese Saturn titles there.

If you're going to Seow Choon, you might wanna drop by in Burlington Square and visit I-Con deep inside on the first floor. They have a good range of games too and better prices. Nicer people running the place too.

Don't expect games here in Singapore to be that much cheaper than ordering from import stores in the US, but you should note a few things.

Firstly, most of the NTSC/J X-Box games here are usually in English. They are also MUCH cheaper than their Japanese counterparts and possibly cheaper than the US counterpart depending on the exchange rate. They're locked at 69.90 SGD here, and 79.90 SGD for "special editions" like Otogi 2 (w/ Otogi 1) and Guilty Gear XX #reload (w/ calendar pop-up stand thing). Some games you can get for even cheaper, like MGS2 Substance for like 48 SGD. These games while being coded NTSC/J might also be REGION FREE. Yes this exists, and is very common with X-Box games, although whether they'll region free in the first place depends on the game.

Secondly, if you want Japanese PS2 games, you might want to look for Asian versions, which are much cheaper than the actual Japanese counterpart and the content is largely the same. Unless you're a hardcore collector (which is kind of irelevent for regular games) it's a pretty good deal at 70-80 SGD per game. :)

If you want more info or advice you can PM me before you leave, I'll try and help if I can.

Bobety

hahah you might have a little trouble finding non-pirated games in Jakarta... but there are stores full of pirated ps2 and xbox games (as well as dvds) EVERYWHERE in some parts, i picked up about 60 ps2 games there earlier this year.

ElyrionX

Actually duckroll and Reno handed you some pretty good information already. However, let me clue you in a little on what to expect over here.

There isn't any point in looking for North American releases of games over here because they are probably more expensive than what you can get over in the US (assuming that you are from the US, of course). There ain't such things as bargain bins for console games over here. Neither is there much of a market for second hand games. The only North American games that you might be interested in would be the obscure titles like Disgaea and Otogi that you might have trouble obtaining in the US. Be prepared to pay around SGD$90 to SGD$100 for games priced at USD$49.99 in the US and probably around SGD$70 to SGD$80 for the USD$39.99 games.

What you might be interested in would be the Japanese imported stuff. Peripherals like Hori joysticks (that cost a bomb over in the US) and the weird Onimusha 3 sword controller can be obtained rather easily over here. If you're lucky, you might be able to find rare limited edition Japanese games (like the ZOE2 or MGS2 boxsets, etc).

Officially, Microsoft is the only console player in Singapore. Therefore, expect to see lots of Xbox stuff and nothing else in the regular retail shops. The Xbox games available here, while cheap, are encoded to be played only on Asian/Japanese Xbox consoles. Although certain titles are region-free (which means it can be played on US Xbox consoles), I really don't recommend that you take the risk of buying the localised Xbox games as many games are not region-free.

As for the arcades, I highly recommend this one (trust me, it will probably be an eye-opener for you):

Virtualand (located at Bugis Junction)

If you're looking for console stuff, head over to Seow Choon (what duckroll said). Its probably the single best place to visit if you don't have much time. I would also recommend Mega Multimedia (located at Century Square shopping mall, which is located right beside the Tampines Mass Rapid Transit station. Cab drivers would definitely know of this place). Mega Multimedia is also situated right beside a pretty good arcade.

If you are looking for PC games, head over to the 5th floor of Sim Lim Square. Sim Lim Square also happens to be the best place locally to obtain cheap PC hardware. You might be able to find good deals for PC gaming hardware if you're interested. Beware of buying consumer electronics (digital cameras, etc) from this place as most of the shops are quite unethical in their "business tactics".

Do note that Sim Lim Square, the Virtualand arcade (at Bugis Junction) and Seow Choon are all within walking distance of one another.

To duckroll and Reno: you guys from SG too? Are you all members of gamersquare?

duckroll

Yeah I'm Singaporean. :) I mostly lurk on Gamersquare, occasionally posting something so I doubt you'll see much from me there. ^^;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom