• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am not blown away by the OLED Switch nearly as much as I had expected!!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's almost nothing of an upgrade really. I take it by now 99% of people out there know what to expect from a small OLED screen. The other "upgrades" are barely worth mentioning. I never had any desire to get one.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's almost nothing of an upgrade really. I take it by now 99% of people out there know what to expect from a small OLED screen. The other "upgrades" are barely worth mentioning. I never had any desire to get one.
Compared to a launch switch you have:
  • Better speakers
  • Larger and better looking display (contrast, colors, motion resolution and pixel response time, etc…)
  • Finally a working kick-stand not made of flimsy plastic
  • 64 GB of internal storage instead of 32 GB
  • Longer battery life
  • Ethernet built in the Dock
  • Somewhat better materials overall (look at the area around the display too)

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Compared to a launch switch you have:
  • Better speakers
  • Larger and better looking display (contrast, colors, motion resolution and pixel response time, etc…)
  • Finally a working kick-stand not made of flimsy plastic
  • 64 GB of internal storage instead of 32 GB
  • Longer battery life
  • Ethernet built in the Dock
  • Somewhat better materials overall (look at the area around the display too)

I know, I've had a hands on. Sorry but as a refresh to a nearly five year old device that wasn't terribly impressive to begin with, these "upgrades" are basically barely worth mentioning.

I mean, 64 GB of storage in 2021, an ethernet port in 2021 (and we still don't know if it's 1gbps or merely an adapter to the old USB 2.0 bus right?), a kickstand that isn't a flimsy little piece of plastic, "better speakers" which I admit sound a little better but we still have no specs on, a slightly longer battery life, slightly better build quality.....

Again, here we are nearly five years down the line and they want their customers to pay $50 USD more for this? Nah man, they get no accolades from me.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I cannot fathom paying £349 for smaller bezels and better blacks on a 720 display which most of the time renders unaliased 520p games at 30fps. Just buy a nice OLED TV and play the original switch docked.

240p on a big OLED tv isn't great though. The wait for a Switch Pro/TV continues...

ParaSeoul

I'm loving my model

The OG Switch looks dank and feels cheap in comparison.

It looks way better, the screen is way better, bigger, brighter more vivid, the sound is better, the kickstand actually works, it feels much sturdier and more stable with the new joyycon track pad.

switch-vs-switch-oled-comparison.jpg
Did you buy that or is it your employee one?

cireza

Banned
It's really not worth it. I will be returning mine as well. For handheld play, Lite is a much better system. My OLED also has a strong yellow tint. That's the deal breaker for me. I can't stand these yellow screens.

Of course colors are overly saturated so that people believe it is better. It can be disabled in the options.

It also weights a ton and is prone to waggle. And does not have a proper dpad...

Last edited:

Reave

I’m sure the OLED screen is kinda nice. But, as long as so many Switch games look like shit undocked, it’s not much of a win.

Billbofet

I am taking mine back as well. Another thing I found contrary to reviews online is - at least my unit - had more looseness and wiggle than my og unit.
Also, after hours with the screen, it does have a yellow tint, but really only at lower brightness - like under 75% or so.

Rambotito

The black and white Switch OLED looks amazing but it's not worth the $500 they want south of the border. I play in docked mode 100% of the time. I only detach it to download something closer to my router in order to get better speeds. But the OLED model sure looks nice. Hopefully they will use that screen for the next model - and the same color scheme.

Kokoloko85

Its a simple OLED upgrade made with better sturdier quality. They should of priced it the same as normal Switch and dropped the other’s price.

As much as I love them, Nintendo is lucky it has crazy fans.

How they will handle next gen will be interesting. If they are smart they will stick to handhelds going forward

I don't expect to be blown away by a screen for another 10-100 years
I don't know how old you are currently, but if you're blown away by anything 100 years from now, I'd be impressed. But I won't be impressed, because I won't be there to be impressed.

Little Mac

Because the internals weren’t updated, the resolution is still 720p … but now stretched out on a larger screen. If the Switch with a 7in oled was 1080p and the cpu/gpu was capable of delivering 60fps at that resolution, we’d all be entering the Squid Game for it.

spons

Gold Member
I'm going from a Lite to the OLED soon (or whenever I can get my hands on one), and that's 100% because of the bigger screen, not just because of the panel tech. If you play portable the majority of time, it seems like a valid upgrade.

How can anyone be excited for a 720p OLED screen in 2021…
People always say this but it's a small screen that you only play games on. This isn't like a cell phone where you consume media, or browse webpages. 1080p would be lost on the Switch, but OLED no matter the resolution brings big improvements.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
With this screen in it it's too bad they don't have Netflix or plex on it. Tried out some obviously downscaled 4k clips on YouTube and they looked fantastic.

acm2000

i mean, mobile phones have had oleds for donkeys years so what did you expect? its literally a mobile with oled with no other benefits.

Kerotan

I mean it's just an oled screen. I actually chose to buy a Sony LED over an OLED as I didn't think it was worth the extra money. And while OLED is better in the dark LED is better in brighter conditions so they both have their pros.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
With this screen in it it's too bad they don't have Netflix or plex on it. Tried out some obviously downscaled 4k clips on YouTube and they looked fantastic.
Sure, but without any HDR support (bit of a bummer) it would loose the most oomph there IMHO.

I think the OLED model is great for people who don’t have a regular switch or just a switch lite.

But if you already have a switch you should just wait for the Switch 2 or switch pro.

Mozza

The OLED Switch was pretty much what I expected, the new model feels a lot more premium, and the OLED screen without the huge border is just awesome.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Can you still scratch it putting it in and out of the dock if your not as careful as a heart surgeon or was that always an urban myth?

Can you still scratch it putting it in and out of the dock if your not as careful as a heart surgeon or was that always an urban myth?
Definitely not a myth. I don't think you could ever NOT scratch the Switch, no matter how careful you were.

This new dock seems better for that, but time will tell.

buenoblue

I mean it's essentially the same machine. I've bin getting it with smartphones, tvs and laptops for a few years now. I spend a small fortune, get all excited, then it turns out to be pretty much what I had already.

Yes. But that's where you can see where your extra fiddy bones went!
Well, I'm glad you're excited. I wasn't as blown away as I had hoped to be.

I'm still happy to have it, as I was still rocking the launch model with the poorer battery life.

I haven't used mine that much yet, as I'm saving Metroid for next week when I'm traveling across country. Has anyone used it with anything that has strong rumble? The original was so noisy during rumble when undocked. I'm hoping this model fixed that issue.

Codes 208

Definitely not a myth. I don't think you could ever NOT scratch the Switch, no matter how careful you were.

This new dock seems better for that, but time will tell.
Its not just that, the screen is a more durable glass this time instead of hard plastic so that should also prevent your usual scratches

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I really hope we see something else portable come on the market, not just the Steam deck but something to compete more in line with Switch to promote competition so they can actually pull their finger out their ass and give Nintendo fans the upgrade they deserve.

I know Sony only want to just focus on the PlayStation but could you imagine if we had PS4 Pro performance in another portable with OLED screen. Would be amazeballs! I think it would sell gangbusters.

Although I think now Nintendo will remain as it is and the rest of the mainstream portable gaming market will turn to game streaming (xCloud) on their portable devices.

Last edited:

Little Mac

I really want Metroid but I'm gonna pass and see what Nintendo announces next year. I just feel like at this stage of the game, the Switch isn't a good value proposition. Doesn't mean others won't pay the price for Nintendo franchises.

I mean.. a lot of us did say it was a shitty upgrade but some fans insisted for an extra 50 bucks it was worth it for that and the better kickstand.

So it turned out it was a shitty upgrade?
I mean I totally think it's worth it if you DON'T have a Switch, however paying for an upgrade doesn't seem like a good idea unless you only play handheld.
100% worth an upgrade.
No reason to still be on the 1st/2nd gen with the $260 gamestop trade-in offer
$260? Is there a promo I'm missing?

tr1p1ex

My kid was playing his today. He had it docked via wifi, connected to his monitor/monitor speakers, and was playing with the Pro controller. I was pretty happy I upgraded him from the original Switch...

Last edited:

Deerock71

100% worth an upgrade.
No reason to still be on the 1st/2nd gen with the $260 gamestop trade-in offer
While I agree with you in principle...I still have all my old Switches lol. They're stacking up like cars in a junkyard. And whether or not you think it's worth 350 bones...other poster...it's entirely the consumer's decision. But your mileage may vary. I'm loving it so far.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Its not just that, the screen is a more durable glass this time instead of hard plastic so that should also prevent your usual scratches

But there's a plastic anti-scatter film on top. If it's of the same quality as the one on one of my phones, I'd recommend getting a real screen protector asap.

Kacho

Gold Member
Seems like a neat device for those who exclusively play in handheld mode. A Switch successor has to be on the horizon though so purchasing a refresh this late in the game seems like a bad choice.

Banned

as long as you don't drop it... in which case a plastic screen will survive way more likely than a glass screen

Edgelord79

Gold Member
The fact that the kick stand is a prime selling feature here should tell you all you need to know about the value of the offering.

Top Bottom