• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am not blown away by the OLED Switch nearly as much as I had expected!!

TLZ

Banned
True, it should have been how the Switch launched but for me it begrudgingly is what I would have wanted in my launch unit.

Switch needs to be good enough in all modes: docked, tabletop, and handheld (battery life is important for the latter two modes). Comparing the launch model and this one shows deficiencies in the launch Switch better.

Bigger, contrasty, and bright enough screen coupled with better battery life makes the handheld mode quite better, and the new kickstand make tabletop mode practical for me finally. This release does not do much if anything at all (beyond an Ethernet port built-in the dock) for docked mode, I agree… it sucks this was not the launch Switch.
The one take away from this model for me is that it at least guarantees an OLED screen from the get go in the next Switch (nextgen or pro). Unless Nintendo does Nintendo and decides to shaft us again.

wOs

I get it. I was tempted but, I have an oled already and don't play much on the go. That said that white is so Fucking sexy I'm not sure I could hold back.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
This is why there was a wave of disappointment when it was announced, oled is nice but it's not the kind of upgrade that makes much difference.
They should have at least given the SoC a couple hundred MHz extra on the CPU/GPU as well.

TLZ

Banned
Wait, so you do or you don't have an oled switch? Sounds like you don't, and your just basing your comments on other stuff you own. This is conjecture, vs actual hands on use - you don't actually know how big of a difference it is. The value of said statements is greatly diminished.
Lol sure whatever. Obviously the Switch's OLED is better than anything OLED out there and cannot be compared to absolutely anything! Please accept my apologies sensei!

Whatever.

TLZ

Banned
Actually if you read it carefully, it says he has "a switch" and both versions of vita and an oldd tv like that somehow qualifies him as hands on the new oled switch.

Agreed, if mostly used in dock mode the arguement to buy oled if you already have one is mostly gone. I would say though 27% increase in size isn't slight in a mobile.
It qualifies me having years of hands on knowledge and experience with OLED and being able to tell the difference between OLED and non OLED. Dismiss all you want but it doesn't change the fact. Switch's OLED isn't some alien OLED tech that no one has.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Lol sure whatever. Obviously the Switch's OLED is better than anything OLED out there and cannot be compared to absolutely anything! Please accept my apologies sensei!

Whatever.

Calm down, the point is you and bunch of other people come running into this thread like your had hands on, when in fact you haven't.
Even myself I downplayed the difference in size and the oled (yes also having owned other oled devices/tv's) and found the difference to be bigger than expected once I actually tried it myself.

Killer8

I like how all the reviews that say "is it worth $350?" are just going in from the perspective of someone upgrading. For a new customer it's a an absolute no-brainer. Just $50 more for a huge jump in screen quality over the original model is a steal.

But even from the perspective of a current owner, i've been more than happy with the upgrade. OLED shits on LCD especially in terms of black levels - Vita chads have been aware of this fact since 2012. It's enough to elevate the visuals of dark games like Metroid Dread all on its own.

I like how the size of the unit was minimally impacted too, despite the bigger screen size, so I did not need to purchase a new carry case.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
its not a huge upgrade. OLED is better, but IPS screens are very good.
I dont think an upgrade is really necessary unless money is not a issue for you.
Part of me does kinda want that OLED goodless and larger size, but the OG switch is still great, games look very good on its screen and OLED only really matters if your comparing. I'll say again that IPS is very good quality and ive always been very pleased with there quality in mobile screens.

NikuNashi

And their sales effect you, I, or any other gamers exactly how? What a ridiculous take on this. Their hardware is shit, I don’t cRe how much money they make. They may sell consoles to 10 ur olds but both Sony and MS are raking in software and services, but again, wtf cares about that? I want to play my game on modern hardware on my 4K OLED. They can buy

Exactly, they don’t care about tech, hence the OP entire point of this this thread. He’s not impressed. You brought up sales, which has zero to do with this thread.
Sales have everything to do with this thread, its the reason Nintendo are not making cutting edge tech, because they don't need to, they are selling tons and making more profit than if they were selling cutting edge tech at a loss and investing 5 x more into there game dev costs. . Its a direct correlation. Nintendo don't care about you or the OP. They are raking in money.

TLZ

Banned
I like how all the reviews that say "is it worth $350?" are just going in from the perspective of someone upgrading. For a new customer it's a an absolute no-brainer. Just $50 more for a huge jump in screen quality over the original model is a steal.

But even from the perspective of a current owner, i've been more than happy with the upgrade. OLED shits on LCD especially in terms of black levels - Vita chads have been aware of this fact since 2012. It's enough to elevate the visuals of dark games like Metroid Dread all on its own.

I like how the size of the unit was minimally impacted too, despite the bigger screen size, so I did not need to purchase a new carry case.
Sigh. I've went from OLED vita to non OLED vita and I couldn't care less.

Is it an upgrade? Yes, of course it is. Is it a steal? Hell no. Stop making an incredibly huge deal out of it like it's the second coming.

I'd even argue people buy the non OLED Switch plus a 256gb SD card for the same price. Now that's more value.

Sigh. I've went from OLED vita to non OLED vita and I couldn't care less.

Is it an upgrade? Yes, of course it is. Is it a steal? Hell no. Stop making an incredibly huge deal out of it like it's the second coming.

I'd even argue people buy the non OLED Switch plus a 256gb SD card for the same price. Now that's more value.

Annnnddd you'd be dumb. $50 price difference between the consoles for a massive screen quality increase, among a host of other improvements.

REDRZA MWS

Sales have everything to do with this thread, its the reason Nintendo are not making cutting edge tech, because they don't need to, they are selling tons and making more profit than if they were selling cutting edge tech at a loss and investing 5 x more into there game dev costs. . Its a direct correlation. Nintendo don't care about you or the OP. They are raking in money.
Nope. Reading and comprehension. The OP said he’s not impressed with the Switch OLED. He never mentioned Nintendo’s sales or success. He’s not impressed because the hardware sucks. If the OP made a thread about being unimpressed with the hardware and never mentioned sales, NOPE, this thread isn’t about sales. Read and comprehend.

carlosrox

Banned
There's the hardcore Nintendo guys here claiming to be blown away. I think they're lying to themselves, honestly. I got mine and it is definitely just a minimal upgrade. For as much as I play Switch, it was worth it, but anyone making claims that say stuff like, "how did I ever play the old Switch? This is amazing!", are drinking dangerous quantities of Kool-Aid.

I'm not claiming to be, I am. And I have access to an LG CX. I know what a good looking OLED looks like.

Maybe the people who claim the screen doesn't look all that great are the same kind of people who claim they can't tell the difference in 60fps, different resolutions, etc.

I mean, it's a fucking OLED screen and not some Fisher Price OLED screen. It looks fantastic, if people can't see that I dunno what the fuck to tell them. OLED gonna OLED.

And claiming I'm saying that as some kind of Nintendo fanboy is dumb as shit. If I didn't like the screen I'd say so. I didn't think it would be this great looking but here we are.

Get some glasses if you're unable to distinguish the far superior contrast, color, and perfect blacks which absolutely didn't exist on the old model.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Nope. Reading and comprehension. The OP said he’s not impressed with the Switch OLED. He never mentioned Nintendo’s sales or success. He’s not impressed because the hardware sucks. If the OP made a thread about being unimpressed with the hardware and never mentioned sales, NOPE, this thread isn’t about sales. Read and comprehend.
Are you retarded?. Last try to talk to a chimp. The reason the OLED hardware sucks is because Nintendo have no incentive to upgrade the tech, because the sales of the switch are still strong.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Annnnddd you'd be dumb. $50 price difference between the consoles for a massive screen quality increase, among a host of other improvements.
Aaaaaand no I'm not. Thanks for your input though. Enjoy your super duper never seen before out of this world OLED.

What are the host of other improvements? The ethernet that replaced the USB 3.0 port that still doesn't go past 8mb/s? That you can still just buy a cheap USB to ethernet dongle? Or the stand they ripped off MS Surface? Cool piece of plastic but I've never had use for it, and definitely not $50 worth. The 64gb storage? Lol. 256gb SD card for far less is better.

Nah I'm good with what I have. And yes I'd defo go for far more storage than a measly OLED screen upgrade and 64gb that should've been sold for the original $299 price btw. Not a $50 increase FOUR years later.

Anyway, I've had my say here and I'm done. You guys can overhype your shiny OLED to the moon and back all you want.

Au revoir.

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Here's a more level headed review for anyone looking for a more level headed, non-overhyped take:

While the LAN port might not be full or even USB 2.0 speeds, it can still be very beneficial. Some of my friends in Chicago have had problems with their wifi dropping just because of the sheer number of routers overlapping in their area. They've tried multiple setups and it just can't solve the drops. I imagine this is also a problem in congested Kyoto, Tokyo, Nagoya, etc. A hardwire is always, reliable.

tassletine

Yeah, all the high contrast, OLED, HDR stuff in TV's is the same level of meh.
I did a bunch of tests when getting my new TV, side by side comparsions, and whilst OLED is better it's just not worth the price IMO.

OLED pictures ARE the best, but when you grew up with CRT's, it's just been a slow crawl back to that. So unless you're into your extreme edge tech and grew up without that level of contrast you're not going to get that much from it.

I'm not claiming to be, I am. And I have access to an LG CX. I know what a good looking OLED looks like.

Maybe the people who claim the screen doesn't look all that great are the same kind of people who claim they can't tell the difference in 60fps, different resolutions, etc.

I mean, it's a fucking OLED screen and not some Fisher Price OLED screen. It looks fantastic, if people can't see that I dunno what the fuck to tell them. OLED gonna OLED.

And claiming I'm saying that as some kind of Nintendo fanboy is dumb as shit. If I didn't like the screen I'd say so. I didn't think it would be this great looking but here we are.

Get some glasses if you're unable to distinguish the far superior contrast, color, and perfect blacks which absolutely didn't exist on the old model.
789597.jpg

REDRZA MWS

Are you retarded?. Last try to talk to a chimp. The reason the OLED hardware sucks is because Nintendo have no incentive to upgrade the tech, because the sales of the switch are still strong.
Wtf are you on about? A chimp even knows Nintendo makes shit hard where. Hence IP’s “DISAPPOINTMENT”.

Let’s try this one more time for the helmet and crayon individual you are. YOU BROUGHT UP SALES. “Two generations ahead in sales”. I replied with who the fuck was talking about sales? We agree with the OP, Nintendo’s hardware sucks, hence his disappointment. Nobody was talking about sales.

It's just a better big bigger screen - easy to pay 50$ extra when you don't have switch but hard to justify selling old one and getting this if you bought previous versions.

Aaaaaand no I'm not. Thanks for your input though. Enjoy your super duper never seen before out of this world OLED.

What are the host of other improvements? The ethernet that replaced the USB 3.0 port that still doesn't go past 8mb/s? That you can still just buy a cheap USB to ethernet dongle? Or the stand they ripped off MS Surface? Cool piece of plastic but I've never had use for it, and definitely not $50 worth. The 64gb storage? Lol. 256gb SD card for far less is better.

Nah I'm good with what I have. And yes I'd defo go for far more storage than a measly OLED screen upgrade and 64gb that should've been sold for the original $299 price btw. Not a $50 increase FOUR years later.

Anyway, I've had my say here and I'm done. You guys can overhype your shiny OLED to the moon and back all you want.

Au revoir.

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Sounds like a plebe who has been unfortunate (or obstinate) enough to never enjoy content or games on a quality display. That's the only reason you'd saying that super cheap flash memory that can be added at any time is a better value than an OLED screen. Mmmkkkaaay buddy

Top Bottom