• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am playing Tales of Symphonia (PC) in wait for Tales of Arise

SantaC

This is the first time I play ToS again since the original release on Gamecube in 2004. (2003) I got to say that I am impressed what Namco achieved back then. Yes the PC version is broken, but it was fixed by durante and kaladien. I run the game with 4K textures and other visual improvements and it looks fine. The artstyle is still charming yet today as It is colorful and pleasant to the eyes. I will go out on a limb and say that I prefer these graphics to Berseria. It is great to roam an overworld, and I miss that with modern jrpgs. The music is still topnotch and the story isnt any worse then we get today really. I am also surprised how deep some of the mechanics can be. There is barely any handholding, you have to figure some of the more hidden stuff in the battle system and character specializations. Once again, this game is better than Tales of Berseria in almost every aspect. LLoyd isnt as annoying as I remember him, and I prefer him to angsty Velvet any day. The only major downside to ToS is that the skits aren't voiced which is a shame.

This game is a good tune up to Arise and it brings a lot of nostalgia.

I miss the original English intro though.

Last edited:

Xeaker

Played it too recently. First Disc was very fun. Second disc was horrible. Had to quit at the sewer dungeon.
I wonder how I could play the games 4 times in a row as a kid lol

Kataploom

Gold Member
Want to play it, I got it not too long ago, but haven't played Xenoblade 2 and am saving my long JRPG needs for that one

Want to play it, I got it not too long ago, but haven't played Xenoblade 2 and am saving my long JRPG needs for that one
That's an interesting point I don't think there is a lot of desire for 100 hour JRPGs anymore.

Take Dragon Quest 11. High reviews, community accolades: but how many people even finished act 1?

Trophies and achievements- the numbers do not lie.

Quasicat

I finished it on GameCube shortly after release and loved it! I need to see if Nintendont on WiiU is able to do the widescreen correctly, either that or pick it up on PS3. It’s still on PSN for $20…I would hate to see current prices in the wild.

Klayzer

That's an interesting point I don't think there is a lot of desire for 100 hour JRPGs anymore.

Take Dragon Quest 11. High reviews, community accolades: but how many people even finished act 1?

Dragon Quest 11 was one of my favorites last gen. Loved it so much, I played through it twice for the plat. There's still a desire to play through 100 hour JRPGs by gamers, we're just drowned out by all the constant negativity surrounding any jrpg release on forums.

Kataploom

Gold Member

That's why after playing Mass Effects 2 like in 2016 or so, I started to like shorter game campaigns with lots of optional things to do, just so I can decide if I can finish the game with satisfaction after a bunch of hours instead of spending all that time to then realize that I'm very far from the endgame.

BTW, JRPGs are another matter, I LOVED Xenoblade 1, but left it twice for like a month or more I don't remember now, then I just came back to it and was like watching another "season" of an anime which really felt good... TBH I loved that approach I took and that's why I don't care honestly.

Celcius

°Temp. member
This was my first tales game. I hope we get a 4K 60 fps release on consoles some day, as the PS3 version is 720p 30 fps and the GameCube version is 480p 60 fps.

Top Bottom