• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am thinking of replaying the Baten Kaitos games after 15 years

SantaC

How do they hold up? It was my fav jrpg series during Gamecube era because of the fantastic artwork.

I wish Monolith would return to the series and shelf Xenoblade for a while. I know it will never happen but i can dream. Baten Kaitos 3 was once in production but never materialized.

tumblr_owffx8J2Vy1tln6w5o1_r1_400.gifv

hUHpu9s.png

BlondFrenchIrrawaddydolphin-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
That sounds like a blast. Finding an old game again on your own is one of the best feelings. That said, this felt super weird at the time but its been so long I barely remember. Didnt it have some bizarre card system? Hard to say if I'd like it now. I'm so much more aware of other genres now compared to when I played this on release. Keep us posted.

SantaC

That sounds like a blast. Finding an old game again on your own is one of the best feelings. That said, this felt super weird at the time but its been so long I barely remember. Didnt it have some bizarre card system? Hard to say if I'd like it now. I'm so much more aware of other genres now compared to when I played this on release. Keep us posted.
The card system is just a normal turnbased system with cards instead of text. It worked very well.

Drell

Did some people tried to AI upscale the 2D backgrounds just like some did for the PSX FFs? It should be easier since the Gamecube was dealing with larger textures.

It is playable but the graphics are a bit blurry and the game is quite slow. Playing both on an emulator is probably the most playable approach.

TLZ

Banned
I love Baten Kaitos. Game was well made and graphics were nice. It was a different take on the battle system which was cool too. A bit random but still added that surprise factor to it.

I wish they make a 3rd game. Or at least remaster of the originals.

gela94

I tried that game a few years ago and hated it. The characters and story was kinda boring and the battle system delt often too random, too bad i wanted to like it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I never, ever understood the battle system in BK. I started the game three different times, always had a terrible first boss battle, and invariably dropped the game a little after the Giacomo fight. I don’t have much patience for card-based games of some complexity, and this one never made a very good job of explaining itself to boot. I liked the graphics (except the ridiculously overdesigned characters) and the music, and the story always seemed interesting, but I’m never going anywhere in BK without a guide or some idiot mode that plays itself.

Gaelyon

It was my favorite RPG on my Gamecube. I've never understood why people struggles with the card battle system. It's well done and not that complicated. There's some awesome boss battles as well, a great solid game for the era I would take a sequel anyday.

Teslerum

Last edited:
Top Bottom