• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't think of a more perfect movie than Jurassic Park.

levyjl1988

Banned
This movie is literally almost perfect in so many ways. Watching this as a kid and watching this as an adult I'm still discovering new things about the movie.
Going through life you acquire new knowledge, experience, and wisdom, and from life, you acquire a new lens to perceive the world. You acquire new filters and see things in a philosophical sense, you see undertones, metaphors, tools that you never had as a child.
As a kid, I was wowed by the spectacle, but now spectacle had its dropping off point, you can only have so much spectacle until it feels dry and expective. Watching a lot of Michael Bay films has really desensitized me to spectacle and explosions and really pushed me towards meaning and something full of depth.
I cannot think of a more perfect movie than Jurassic Park.
There are so many subtleties that go on through the film that went over my head and made me think. This movie was expertly made.

If you have time here are some examples exploring the depth of this movie.

I didn't realize Hammond's carelessness saved his grandchildren when he was getting the ice cream as he left the refrigerator door open, which is so in line with his character.

Another point was in the scene where they were philosophizing about the creation of the dinosaurs and the projections of light coming from behind the characters, it was to show whose idea is more vibrant and more enlightened.

Jurassic Park is a movie you can watch many times and still see something new, seeing new connections and eureka moments that went over your head.
I can't think of a more perfect movie than this.

Modern movies now are all spectacle and don't have the small nuances of subtext that they had before.

Last edited:

k_trout

it is a great movie but I still think close encounters is his best movie, but I am an old fart lol
though goldblums short monologue is one of the best in cinema

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Shit, go watch some more movies, bruh.

That's like if you were born into bondage in some redneck meth head's garage, shackled to the inside of a dog kennel with no grasp on basic hygiene or language, and dude threw you a cold centered pepperoni pizza hot pocket and you were like "This is the best food ever!" (Or unggggaaaahhgg urgghhh neeeneeeneee, because you don't know words in this hypothetical) because it wasn't stale bread and a bottle of recycled piss.

Don't be a slave. Don't enjoy hot pockets when there's New York style deep dish out there.

Last edited:

BlakeofT

That's like if you were born into bondage in some redneck meth head's garage, shackled to the inside of a dog kennel with no grasp on basic hygiene or language, and dude threw you a cold centered pepperoni pizza hot pocket and you were like "This is the best food ever!" (Or unggggaaaahhgg urgghhh neeeneeeneee, because you don't know words in this hypothetical) because it wasn't stale bread and a bottle of recycled piss.

Don't be a slave. Don't enjoy hot pockets when there's New York style deep dish out there.
Isn't NY known for its thin pizza, while Chicago is known for deep dish?

T8SC

weqAmz5.gif

Spaceman292

Banned

popular things bad.....food analogies..... everyone's really impressed

I should add that I disagree about it being the most perfect film ever

honestly not even in my top 20

it’s good but I don’t get why everyone online finds the need to use hyperbole. Why can’t you just let it be good. Not everything needs to be best

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
popular things bad.....food analogies..... everyone's really impressed

I'm glad! I tried really super hard!

Popular things aren't bad. They also aren't the best. By virtue of BEING popular, a film needs to be watered down enough to cater to as many different tastes as possible. This requires talent, for sure, but surely that must mean that there are better films in regard to plot, music, characters, and special effects, if you're willing to admit that there are films that are laser focused in one area instead of trying to cover all of them at once.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Think of an adventure movie.

First one that comes into your head.

You’re thinking of the same one everybody else is. That’s why it’s a perfect movie, Dr Jones.

Dark Star

I love JP and grew up loving JP. It does a lot right and it's use of real props and animatronics over full blown CGI makes it special. The book is great too.

I don't know what makes a movie "perfect", but I would say LOTR fellowship of the ring is another perfect movie. Just watch any behind the scenes video and you'll know what I'm talking about. The attention to detail is insane. The casting for the whole trilogy is legendary, really.

Also, Back To The Future and Terminator 2 are solid

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yes, its great, but when I watch it now I just want it to delve into more aspects from the book. The stuff in the book about ingen and there competitors is really interesting.

Spaceman292

Banned
I'm glad! I tried really super hard!

Popular things aren't bad. They also aren't the best. By virtue of BEING popular, a film needs to be watered down enough to cater to as many different tastes as possible. This requires talent, for sure, but surely that must mean that there are better films in regard to plot, music, characters, and special effects, if you're willing to admit that there are films that are laser focused in one area instead of trying to cover all of them at once.
True, but laser focused films can still be bad and generic mass appeal films can still be great. I'd say Jurassic Park is better than most low budget high concept indie movies.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
True, but laser focused films can still be bad and generic mass appeal films can still be great. I'd say Jurassic Park is better than most low budget high concept indie movies.

Yeah, for sure. I mean for what it's worth, I like Jurassic Park just fine, I just think there are plenty of better films out there, too. It's all subjective. No disrespect to anyone's taste, just shit posting, haha

teezzy

Banned
I should add that I disagree about it being the most perfect film ever

honestly not even in my top 20

it’s good but I don’t get why everyone online finds the need to use hyperbole. Why can’t you just let it be good. Not everything needs to be best

It's not bad, but I could probably go my entire life without ever watching Jurassic Park or any of its sequels again

Not even my favorite Spielberg bop...

tom cruise GIF

Gimme Minority Report any day 😎

dan76

Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, Close Encounters and E.T. are all better Spielberg movies.
I'd rather watch Duel than Jurassic Park.

Kenpachii

Everything was believable in the movie, that's why its so good.

U also sense a great fear when that t-rex in the rain + raptors in the kitchen go after those kids.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s a great movie, much more than a dinosaur blockbuster. The proof is in its sequels - throwing in random dinos left and right and pulling a T-Rex on cue doesn’t make them great movies. The direction in JP is still top-notch, the story is believable enough, the characters are just perfect. It even had two totally believable STRONG WOMEN before they were mandatory, and they’re better scripted than anything Marvel can dream of.

Top Bottom