• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I culturally appropriated Chinese food, and it was GREAT. Will culturally appropriate again.

Cato

Banned
I like to cook. I am pretty good at it nowadays. I love cooking and I love eating a quality meal.

I often make 5 or 7 dish dinners for sunday. Almost every sunday.
We all dress up in nice clothes, the whole family, and all have a nice family meal together for the few hours it takes to dine and talk and being a family.

You come to my house on a Sunday and your dinner table will have at last 4 plates, 4 forks, and 2-3 spoons.
Possibly also 3-4 different glasses. You dress up nicely or you will never be invited for a second dinner service.

It could be as simple as, yeah I know these are not the traditional sequences of dishes, but sue me. Complain and you will never be invited again.
1, freshly baked bread rolls and butter with red wine. To break the ice.
2, sallad with prawns or ham. Delicatelly presented.
3, french onion soup or prawn soup, or other soup. These two are the most popular though. All made from scratch.
4, Toasted baguette with herbs and more red wine. Wine make dining better!
5, main dish, plank steak. rib-eye. and hassleback-potatoes and either green pepper sauce or just basic garlic butter. Possibly Bernadine sauce, thought not very likely. It is a possibility but I think it is more effort to make it than it is worth.
6, cold plate with olives, crackers and cheese. dry white wine. because I like white wine. Yeah, you should have red wine with cheese. Complain about that and you wont come back.
7. dessert. roasted banana, cream, various berries and vanilla ice-cream
EDIT 1: shit I forgot. There has to be a fruit pie before coffee. If there is no pie that is shameful for the host.
8, coffee, and cognac.

EDIT 2: Yes. When you have so many dishes, each dish is very small. You can not eat 7 full sized dishes. Not possible. Each dish is by necessity very small.

I am not a professional chef so I cant really do this in parallell. A pro culd probably do all this in an hour or so while for me it will EASILY take me the better part of sunday afternoon. 4 hours or more in the kitchen to prepare and execute.
None the less. It takes me as amateur a LOT of time. I like it and will continue doing it forever.
I love a huge 7+ dishes meal with a set table and where the whole family is dressed up to present the best of themselves.

(I love french onion soup but as it takes 4+ hours to make ... Sometimes the urge gets bigger than the reluctance to spend 4 hours in the kitchen to "just make soup". (say "it is just soup" and I classify you as a barbarian.))

Today I culturally appropriated chinese stir fry :

It was brutally awesome. I have no shame. I will culturally appropriate chinese cusine again. Many times even.
Now I just need to find a way to integrate these dishes into my sunday dinner feasts.

Roast me for stealing the precious cultural food from the chineese.
How much of a monster am I ?

Last edited:

Dunki

When I eat soup it takes 10 minutes to get them out of the can and to heat it up. I suck at cooking :p

But I love to eat. Maybe you can send me some to Germany so I can taste it :p

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Isn't sesame oil basically 100% pure msg ?

Nah that’s fish sauce. MSG is a naturally occurring amino acid and it’s in many of your favourite foods like tomato, parmesan, soy sauce, miso, even beef. It’s the source of umami, which is the 5th taste alongside salty, sweet, sour and bitter.

Cato

Banned
Nah that’s fish sauce. MSG is a naturally occurring amino acid and it’s in many of your favourite foods like tomato, parmesan, soy sauce, miso, even beef. It’s the source of umami, which is the 5th taste alongside salty, sweet, sour and bitter.

Is MSG that salt/spice satchel you get with ramen-noodles? If so I will add them next time.
If it makes it better, and makes me culturally appropriate chineese cuisine even harder, I will do it.

Cato

Banned
When I eat soup it takes 10 minutes to get them out of the can and to heat it up. I suck at cooking :p

But I love to eat. Maybe you can send me some to Germany so I can taste it :p

My wifes cousin Markus is from East Germany, He comes a month or so to visit QLD every year. He is a hobby-bodybuilder and very careful with what he eats.
Every year is a battle. And I have won every year so far.
He leaves far bigger than when he arrives. Every time. My wicked cooking skills are stronger than his gym-skills when he is here.

You want to visit the tropics dunki? Can be arranged. The water here in the ocean never drops below 27C. It is nice. And I will cook for you.

EDIT: you wear a dinner jacket for dinner/cocktails ? right? Think carefully. The invitation depends on your response.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Is MSG that salt/spice satchel you get with ramen-noodles? If so I will add them next time.
If it makes it better, and makes me culturally appropriate chineese cuisine even harder, I will do it.

No MSG is just MSG but I wouldn’t be surprised if those sachets had it in them. Some people get bad headaches and drymouth from it so use with caution.

Appropriate away!

Dunki

My wifes cousin Markus is from East Germany, He comes a month or so to visit QLD every year. He is a hobby-bodybuilder and very careful with what he eats.
Every year is a battle. And I have won every year so far.
He leaves far bigger than when he arrives. Every time. My wicked cooking skills are stronger than his gym-skills when he is here.

You want to visit the tropics dunki? Can be arranged. The water here in the ocean never drops below 27C. It is nice. And I will cook for you.

EDIT: you wear a dinner jacket for dinner/cocktails ? right? Think carefully. The invitation depends on your response.
The Tropics? sounds like its very hot there and i can not stand heat....

As for Dress: How about this? It is our traditional German Dinner Dress:messenger_beaming:

500_F_43017176_sNgRvBHhl6fTGr2EJi37KAOea44q2Gyl.jpg

But otherwise it sounds great^^

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
The Tropics? sounds like its very hot there and i can not stand heat....

As for Dress: How about this? It is our traditional German Dinner Dress:messenger_beaming:

500_F_43017176_sNgRvBHhl6fTGr2EJi37KAOea44q2Gyl.jpg

But otherwise it sounds great^^

You look very fit and muscular. Not my type for a partner but I can ask around my friends circle if there are any matches.
Can you list your interests etc to make the sale easier ?

Last edited:

Dunki

You look very fit and muscular. Not my type for a partner but I can ask around my friends circle if there are any matches.
Can you list your interests etc to make the sale easier ?
One moment. I just wanted an invitation for Dinner and a trip to the tropics but a relationship? Oh well...

My hobbies are:
Eating Bratwurst
Animes
Video games
JDRAMA (romance)
making offensive jokes about everything and everyone
thinking way to long and much about meaningless shit in my life
lying in bed
and collecting Swastikas like every German does

That should be a 100/100 on tinder

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
One moment. I just wanted an invitation for Dinner and a trip to the tropics but a relationship? Oh well...

My hobbies are:
Eating Bratwurst
Animes
Video games
JDRAMA (romance)
making offensive jokes about everything and everyone
thinking way to long and much about meaningless shit in my life
lying in bed
and collecting Swastikas like every German does

That should be a 100/100 on tinder

Hmm... I want to believe you are joking but everyone knows that Germans have no sense of humour.

🤔

Traianvs

Why do I keep entering threads about foods while I'm trying to lose weight?
Anyway I love stir fry and as a (mediocre) non professional cook I like to read about people cooking.
Just don't make any Italian dish without asking me first if it's appropriate or not
Capisc?

lil puff

It's not so much the fact it's a meme but rather the fact it gives some people spastic colon and explosive diarrhea.
I hear you, but most places are not using that anymore. I think some people automatically connect Chinese food with MSG and its not true.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Culturally appropriate a steamer:

Steamer-Pot-45Litre-Utensil-of-Kitchen-stainless-steel-large-size-5-layer-Cooking-Pot-Steamed-Food.jpg_640x640.jpg

Then you can do various side-dishes (veggies of all kinds, steamed breads, etc) all on the same burner.

This is especially nice for stir-fry because you can add the pre-steamed veggies at the very end, sizzle them, and plate the meal. It eliminates the need to fully cook the veggies in the wok itself which leads to those veggies soaking up a disproportionate amount of cooking oil.

badblue

Paracelsus Paracelsus Papa Papa
I hear you, but most places are not using that anymore. I think some people automatically connect Chinese food with MSG and its not true.

Most places simply put up a sign that says "no MSG" but still use lots of fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and other things that are naturally high in MSG when cooking/seasoning the food. Mushrooms contain MSG. So do tomatoes, parmesan cheese, potatoes, peas, grapes, asparagus and basically every things else we eat contains glutimate.
Breast milk is full of it as well.

Fun fact, but "Marmite, with 1750mg per 100g, has more glutamate in it than any other manufactured product on the planet - except a jar of Gourmet Powder straight from the Ajinomoto MSG factory. On the label, Marmite calls it 'yeast extract'. Nowhere in all their literature does the word 'glutamate' appear. I asked Unilever why they were so shy about their spread's key ingredient, and their PR told me that it was because it was 'naturally occurring ... the glutamate occurs naturally in the yeast'. " edit: link to quote source

Also, the term "natural flavor" is used by the food industry for glutamic acid (chemically similar to MSG, lacking only the sodium ion). So pretty much ever processed food contains it as well. The FDA considers labels such as "no MSG" or "no added MSG" misleading if the food has ingredients which are sources of free glutamate, such as hydrolyzed protein.

So if MSG was causing people problems, all of these things would be as well, not just seeing "MSG" or suspect there is MSG in something.

Here's how MSG is made.
What is MSG

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Good post badblue badblue and nice callout to my favorite cooking source of glutamates, Marmite! Excellent stuff (when used sparingly) in sauces and braised dishes. The beloved hippy ingredient nooch (nutritional yeast) is also packed with glutamates.

MSG is just concentrated savoriness. Adding and manipulating glutamates is how you make food taste savory.

People who get scared of it might as well be scared of all the chloride they're consuming every single day.

Fnord

No MSG is just MSG but I wouldn’t be surprised if those sachets had it in them. Some people get bad headaches and drymouth from it so use with caution.

Appropriate away!

Only REALLY high concentrations and only if the individual is already sensitive to sodium. Fortunately, those people are very rare and you would have to go out of your way to use enough MSG to cause an issue.

Xisiqomelir

Can honestly say it is only Western SJWs (who are very frequently not even Chinese!) who complain about "culinary appropriation".

Go to China/Taiwan/HK/Singapore and you will see this kind of thing ALL THE TIME

1.+No.+1+Western+Food+(Tanglin+Halt+Food+Centre).JPG

Kadayi

Banned
Can honestly say it is only Western SJWs (who are very frequently not even Chinese!) who complain about "culinary appropriation".

Go to China/Taiwan/HK/Singapore and you will see this kind of thing ALL THE TIME

1.+No.+1+Western+Food+(Tanglin+Halt+Food+Centre).JPG

Chicken Chop.. kill your own? ..:unsure:

Last edited:
Yo would you consider making blocks of frozen caramelized onions ready to go for when you wanna make French onion soup?

Probably even better because I imagine when you thaw that bitch and sautee off the extra water the flavor becomes even more concentrated. You can always dilute. Some good beef stock some wine a fucken herb bouquet. Sorry for the language. Yeah bread cheese bake. Gouda cheese. Fucken exquisite bro.

Top Bottom