• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I disagree the ps5/series X GTA 5 versions are lite upgrades

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
This is console players only I am referencing here who represent the majority of gta 5 players.

People calling this a small upgrade have to be joking.

Resolution : 9x the resolution of the 360 version and 4x that of the last gen versions.

Framerate : 60fps most are playing at performance ray tracing so not only pushing many more pixels also doing it at 2x the framerate.

Alaising: The ps4 version was a huge improvement over the 360 / PS3 versions but still had issues. The ps5 version has a really clean look. I don't notice any more shimmering or artifacts within the game.

Texture improvement : Its not massive but you no longer see the dead eyed look in characters.

RAY tracing : Again overall helps deliver a better image with some improved lighting.

Loading : Another huge improvement Massive improvement over the last gen versions.

GTA online accessibility : They came up with a great system to get new players and long gone players back into gta online.

People complaining about $10 with all these improvements should get their heads checked. I spend $10 on lunch without a second thought.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That narrative only appeared after the DF comparison that showed that both versions are virtually identical. It‘s a fantastic upgrade to the game, and 60fps alone makes it worth playing through. It’s a night and day difference between the sluggish 30fps original and shows that we desperately need a RDR2 update.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
This is console players only I am referencing here who represent the majority of gta 5 players.

Resolution : 9x the resolution of the 360 version and 4x that of the last gen versions.

Framerate : 60fps most are playing at performance ray tracing so not only pushing many more pixels also doing it at 2x the framerate.

Alaising: The ps4 version was a huge improvement over the 360 / PS3 versions but still had issues. The ps5 version has a really clean look. I don't notice any more shimmering or artifacts within the game.

Texture improvement : Its not massive but you no longer see the dead eyed look in characters.

RAY tracing : Again overall helps deliver a better image with some improved lighting.

Loading : Another huge improvement Massive improvement over the last gen versions.

GTA online accessibility : They came up with a great system to get new players and long gone players back into gta online.

People complaining about $10 with all these improvements should get their heads checked. I spend $10 on lunch without a second thought.
You know it's a good argument when the 360 version gets brought up a lot. btw, game should've been 4k on mid gen refresh consoles years ago. And 30+ second load times is laughable.

R* sucks. But thanks for letting us know how your spend your $10 without thinking. That's baller.

Rykan

So I've heard that there is a new introduction to GTA online for a better new player experience. Is this only on the current gen consoles or also available on last gen/PC versions?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
So I've heard that there is a new introduction to GTA online for a better new player experience. Is this only on the current gen consoles or also available on last gen/PC versions?
I believe only for the current gen consoles.

Hugare

Do you know how easy is it to bump resolution? It's basically changing some numbers on a Readme file

It's not 4 times the resolution that it ran on the PS4 at twice the performance. It's 1.7x (1440p) at twice the performance, or 4x (4k) at the same performance (30 fps)

About textures: they are using the ones from the PC port, and sometimes worse.

Loading times are better only due to the jump from HDD to SSS without any optimization at all. It's almost the same as running the PS4 version with BC.

That's why it's some of the worse loading times on next gen systems so far

So yeah, it was lazy. $10 may be good enough for a lazy port, but this is a lazy port.

I mean, it's better than what Apex Legends is doing... tried that out for the first time in a long time on Series X and it's still a shit 60fps last gen version. What? New system has been out for a year and a half. And this is GaaS?

13 month old article talking about how it's a priority... to what put in a checkbox that maybe lowers some settings and unlocks the frame rate? Huh? Like the whole launch version of the game was developed in a similar time frame.

PUBG is in an even worse state but I almost consider that an abandoned product, like do the PUBG guys care about anything other than what TPP PC players in Asia think? Doubt it.

So good on Rockstar for at least actually doing *something*, as not every company does... but like... just giving out the new features for a game people already bought is obviously the way. You're enticing em to come back in and waste money in GTA Online right? That's the goal? You'd probably make more money off that if you got rid of the $10 ticket to entry of making real use of your own hardware upgrade.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't have any real issue with it, they could have squeezed a bit more considering it took them 2 years to upgrade it, but it's better than I expected from Rockstar.

What do you have for lunch?

But it is a lite upgrade. They don't even use Anisotropic filtering x16 to show off the 'upgraded' textures so the textures still look like a mess at distance.

Bramble

You are forgetting 3D audio and DualSense. Especially the DualSense makes me enjoy this game a lot more than on PS3 and PS4. Feeling rain and feeling all the interactions your car has with the world, is awesome.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Yea mate, it is what it is, for the cheaper price right now its worth it to me, il play through it again at 60fps, havnt played through since the 360 release so will be decent for me.

4x the lvl of resolution upgrade from last gen ? Pretty sure PS4 version is 1080p and PS5 series x is 1440p in 60 fps how is that 4x upgrade ?

Allandor

The problem I have with load times in GTA is, that they never fixed the issue on the old consoles, even if it was a simple problem to solve (as the community showed). I really wouldn't count "better load times" as a next-gen-update win. It just shows how little has been done in all those years they sold that game.

Should have truly be a free upgrade to people that have already bought on PS3 & 360 & buy again on PS4 & XOne Rockstar greed knows no bound

Freeman76

I agree with you, its a decent upgrade to a very enjoyable game. Glad i spent the money. My only issue is i never played online and i really dont enjoy open world free for alls as i'm not highly skilled, so I prefer to play in my own map to avoid griefers, but this means o cant make decent money. I want to get to the Dre missions asap

NinjaBoiX

I willingly ponied up the £18 for 60fps alone, any other bells and whistles are just icing. I wasn’t expecting a full on remaster, I’m satisfied with the results.

Also, people whining about the 20-25 second load need to stop. It’s one load, one time, right at the start of the game, and it’s less than half a minute. Chill…

HTK

Banned
Where can you buy lunch for $10 these days?

I bought the PS5 version of the game for $10, haven't even played it yet but thanks for pointing these things out. It seems to be worth it.

Last edited:

Fbh

For $10 it seems a decent enough upgrade.
But it's nothing special and IMO comparing this to the Ps3 version is silly.

NeoGiffer

Thanks for letting us know

not-bad-nodding.gif

Top Bottom