• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't really understand the Captain Marvel hate

pramod

Banned
Looking back, what was so controversial about Captain Marvel that made her so hated?

She's always been an uber powerful white female in the comics. None of that changed when they brought her to the movies. She didn't become gay or black or whatever.

Yeah sure she just kinda luckily got blessed with powers, but who else in the MCU didn't besides maybe Iron Man?

I guess people didn't like Brie cuz of her politics? But she shares the same views as Ruffalo and probably many other MCU actors.

Maybe people were just upset they were passing the torch of the Avengers to her? But she was actually not a bad choice. Who else would they rather pass it to? She Hulk?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The movie was totally average, people didn't hate the movie. Brie Larson is just kind of a snooty cunt, everyone got mad on the internet yelling about whether a gigantic Disney Marvel product was female empowerment or feminist propaganda.

It was just some okay Marvel movie.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The movie was okay. Most of the hate comes from Brie taking the job and then proceeding to swing her clit around in interviews like she was some sort of female Robert Downy Jr. It was really off putting which is odd because I've watched some of her youtube and other stuff and she seems pleasant. IDK, maybe Brie felt she had to have an attitude? Her interviews with Avengers cast where awkward as well. Maybe she just isn't well liked?

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't necessarily agree with everything, but from what I remember:

-A lot of people found Brie Larson unlikable and didn't like some of her woke comments
-A lot of people found the character and overall movie boring
- She was teased at the end of Infinity War and with everyone saying how powerful she was people thought they were going to use her as some last minute deux ex machina to fix everything in end game (which mostly didn't end up being the case).
- Some of the marketing and interviews focusing more on her being a woman than anything else rubbed some people the wrong way
- Media doing their usual "if you don't like it you are sexist" thing.

Doom85

Movie was fairly good to me, but more because of Nick, the Skrulls, and Monica/Maria. Carol was only interesting playing off them but never did she have me invested in her by herself. Jude Law was also wasted as the villain was one of the weakest in the MCU writing-wise.

I’m more excited for the sequel, but that’s more due to them adding Monica who was pretty likable and cute in WandaVision, and Ms. Marvel/Kamala since I like her comics so as long as they don’t fuck up her show.

Kev Kev

there was something about that movie that just didnt have the Marvel quality to it. i dunno if it was the acting (shes a bad actor, im sorry but that is a fact), or the editing, or the directing, the script or just the story itself but something about it just felt off.

it was the only Marvel movie i didnt enjoy and i was ok with hulk and thor dark world

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
There was no threat or urgency in the film. She can casually fly through battlestars and wipe out entire fleets. Why even bother pew-pewing with mere mortals? Her reactions when on earth, an entire planet with people that look JUST LIKE HER, yet she expresses little curiosity about it until later in the film. The bad guys are trying to suppress her powers yet they train her up to be a fighter and control her emotions, to what end? Why not let her go full nova and just feed her more bad intel so she fights on their side? The entire film makes no sense.

pramod

Banned
I just thought it was dull, cliched, factory produced, unoriginal shit. The gender of the main star was completely immaterial.

Yeah it was a below average MCU movie at the time, but compared to the drek we have now like Black Widow and Eternals? It's a masterpiece.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
What people really should have objected too are how the Skrulls weren't actually the baddies but innocent refugees who were abused by the evil (white) Kree.

That's decades worth of Marvel history down the drain right there.

Doom85

What people really should have objected too are how the Skrulls weren't actually the baddies but innocent refugees who were abused by the evil (white) Kree.

That's decades worth of Marvel history down the drain right there.

Kevin Feige said there are some bad Skrulls out there.

Also, did you just call Djimon Hounsou white?

Regular Season Wtf GIF by NBA

Last edited:
It was a totally bland movie that had the internet dweebs up in arms on both sides of it helping split the culture but benefitting the all absorbing cultural blob that is the Disney corporation.

zeorhymer

In the comics, Captain Marvel has been rebooted/reimagined at least 7 times. She is not that popular.

In the movies, Hollywood and their media keeps hyping her as more powerful than <insert powerful hero/villain> and even Goku of all things. She's totally perfect and does no wrong (except when she does egregious stuff). Blah blah. Disney/Wokewood have a stick up their ass trying to make people like her.

kunonabi

My problem was the movie had an actress and directors that could totally have nailed classic Carol Danvers and all her complexity but instead we got a movie with no spark to the protagonist , the story, or the craft and was also poorly conceived from the jump. It also proceeded to just completely torpedo MCU continuity purely because they could. I was more excited for Captain Marvel than any other MCU film before it and it was only barely better than the Incredible Hulk. Just massive waste of the character and all the talent involved.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I think it’s because she acts like a snooty bitch.
Nothing political, she’s just a cunt.

She doesn't come across as a cunt on her Youtube channel. I think you have injected your own thoughts on her based on a speech she made.

In the comics, Captain Marvel has been rebooted/reimagined at least 7 times. She is not that popular.

This myth needs to stop, so annoying hearing this constant phrase.
If a comic is not popular and does not sell well it gets cancelled outright. It doesn't get "rebooted". The term isn't "rebooted" anyway, it's renumbered. Not all but a lot of comics get renumbered after a new event or after a new creative team comes on board. That includes popular characters like Spider-man and Daredevil.

Just look at the last 12 years and see how many number 1's there are for Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Daredevil and Thor. People always gloss over this fact when it's the popular heroes and only point it out when it's Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel.

Avengers
Avengers #1 (Volume 4, 2010), New Avengers #1 (Volume 2, 2010), Avengers #1 (Volume 5, 2013), New Avengers #1 (Volume 3, 2013), All New All Different Avengers #1 (2015),
New Avengers #1 (Volume 4, 2015), Avengers Unleashed #1 (2017), US Avengers #1 (2017), Avengers #1 (Volume 6, 2018)

Captain America
Captain America #1 (Volume 5, 2005), Captain America #600 (reverted to volume 1 numbering 2010), Captain America #1 (Volume 6, 2011), Captain America #1 (Volume 7, 2012)
All New Captain America #1 (Sam Wilson, 2014), Captain America: Sam Wilson #1 (2015), Captain America: Steve Rogers #1 (2015), Captain America #1 (Volume 8, 2018)

Captain Marvel
Captain Marvel #1 (Volume 6, 2012), Captain Marvel #1 (Volume 7, 2014), Captain Marvel #1 (Volume 8, 2015), Captain Marvel #1 (Volume 9, 2019),

Daredevil
Daredevil #1 (Volume 3, 2011), Daredevil #1 (Volume 4, 2014), Daredevil #1 (Volume 5, 2015), Daredevil #1 (Volume 6, 2019)

Deadpool
Deadpool #1 (Volume 4, 2008), Deadpool #1 (Volume 5, 2012), Deadpool #1 (Volume 6, 2015), Despicable Deadpool #287 (reverted to volume 1 numbering, 2016),
Deadpool #1 (Volume7, 2018), Deadpool #1 (Volume 8, 2019)

Guardians of the Galaxy
GOTG #1 (Volume 2, 2008), GOTG #1 (Volume 3, 2012), GOTG #1 (Volume 4, 2015), All New GOTG #1, (2017), GOTG #1 (Volume 5, 2019), GOTG #1 (Volume 5, 2020)

Hulk
Hulk #1 (2008), Incredible Hulk #1 (Volume 2, 2011), Indestructible Hulk #1 (2012), Hulk #1 (Volume 2, 2014), Totally Awesome Hulk #1 (2015), Immortal Hulk #1 (2018)

Iron Man
Iron Man #1 (Volume 5, 2008), Iron Man #500 (reverted to volume 1 numbering, 2011), Iron Man #1 (Volume 6, 2012), Iron Man #1 (Volume 7, 2015) International Iron Man #1 (2015)
Iron Man #1 (Volume 8, 2016), Infamous Iron Man #1 (2016), Tony Stark, Iron Man #1 (2018), Iron Man #1 (Volume 9, 2020)

Spider-Man
Superior Spider-Man #1 (2013), Amazing Spider-Man #1 (Volume 2, 2014), Amazing Spider-Man #1 (Volume 3, 2015), Amazing Spider-Man #1 (Volume 4, 2018)

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Talos improved the movie enough to make it tolerable. The alien seemed more human than the lead. The worst would be whoever played the Kree scientist/ai.
Some of the effects were good. Didn't really feel like the 90s. The Valkyrie in Ragnarok was more 90s. without all the trappings beyond being drunk and disenchanted.
Read some where of possible love connection between her and Captain Marvel. Works for me.

Back to her origin story, all that to set up her entry and presence in Endgame.

Wandavision sets up the question of who would be stronger between her and Wanda. Kinda want that answered.

bitbydeath

She doesn't come across as a cunt on her Youtube channel. I think you have injected your own thoughts on her based on a speech she made.
Youtube channel?
No, she just comes off as a cunt due to her demeanour in the movie, she was fine in Scott Pilgrim but she was playing an actual bitch in that movie so I guess it's easier to overlook, her nobodies better than me attitude.
Google the term, resting bitch face if you haven't heard it before, suits her to a T.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The movie was just meh but so were the iron man movies.
But also the movie wasn’t woke in any sense. Hell the studio added Samuel Jackson because they didn’t think she could carry it on her own.
I think a sequel could be pretty good.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The movie was just meh but so were the iron man movies.
But also the movie wasn’t woke in any sense. Hell the studio added Samuel Jackson because they didn’t think she could carry it on her own.
I think a sequel could be pretty good.
The Marvels is the sequel to Captain Marvel. It's SUPPOSED to come out end of next year. I think.

Batiman

Banned
One of my least like marvel movies. Just so bland. I don’t really care for brie but gave nothing against her.

bender

What time is it?
To be charitable, Larsen seemed disinterested in the role. I'd comment on her acting abilities but I don't think I've seen her in anything else.

Last edited:

sol_bad

To be charitable, Larsen seemed disinterested in the role. I'd commenting on her acting abilities but I don't think I've seen her in anything else.

You should watch:

Short Term 12
Room
Glass Castle

She is a good actor, this might sound weird but Marvel Studios wanted Captain Marvel to come across as a bit unlikeable and self centred to begin with. At the start of Endgame the Avengers are pretty frosty towards her and that was filmed before the actual Captain Marvel film. Now in the film Captain Marvel, Jude Laws character says at the start that emotions are a distraction so she has been conditioned not to show emotion. Yes, there are moments when her emotions do show but the majority of the film she is quite emotionless, it's what the script called for.

bender

What time is it?
You should watch:

Short Term 12
Room
Glass Castle

She is a good actor, this might sound weird but Marvel Studios wanted Captain Marvel to come across as a bit unlikeable and self centred to begin with. At the start of Endgame the Avengers are pretty frosty towards her and that was filmed before the actual Captain Marvel film. Now in the film Captain Marvel, Jude Laws character says at the start that emotions are a distraction so she has been conditioned not to show emotion. Yes, there are moments when her emotions do show but the majority of the film she is quite emotionless, it's what the script called for.

She's at a disadvantage for me anyhow as I just don't understand the love for the Marvel movies. They are mostly middle of the road to fine all but I wouldn't have watched them without AMC Stubs. Captain Marvel might have been the worst one I saw.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Pretty sure it was just 100% because of the actor wasn't it? Her appearing unlikeable and all "woke" with the interviews etc.

Kamina

Golden Boy
The problem was the wokeness all around her person as well as the fact that the movie was somehow treated as the second coming for feminism.
It wasn’t a bad movie, it wasn’t outstanding either though.

Hoppa

I liked her in the few things I’ve seen her in but Captain Marvel was bland and as a character she seems disconnected from the other MCU characters. It’s like she only ever shows up for a cameo and an easy plot fix.

Alandring

The movie is okay and I don't really care about Brie Larson political opinions. But when I look at the rest of the cast of the MCU (Scarlet Johansson, Natalie Portman, Evangeline Lilly, Elizabeth Olsen, Gwyneth Paltrow, Tessa Thompson, Zendaya, ...), she's clearly the one that I like the least.

Top Bottom