• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I doubt that anyone really cares about this lazy XIII remake but holy Jesus, I can't believe the balls on this publisher (RANT)

Drizzlehell

Banned
For anyone who doesn't know or doesn't care, in 2020 some fuck nuggets decided to release a remake of an obscure (but a cult classic) cel-shaded shooter from 2003 called XIII - and it was one of the worst things in gaming history. Like, no joke, it was like 1000x worse than Cyberpunk or Fallout 76. I got this on PS4 and I literally never got past level 3 because the game was in such a sorry ass state that it kept crashing roughly 3-5 times per level, often making me lose a whole lot of progress. And if that wasn't bad enough, the game was bugged up the ass, which also often forced me into reloading a save because of numerous game-breaking bugs (ofc while hoping that the game wouldn't crash again while doing so).

So yeah, it was an absolutely miserable purchase, which I couldn't even refund because of Sony's dumb refund policy, as well as the fact that literally no one in the world gave a shit about this game. There was no widespread controversy that would force Sony's hand into refunding people like in the case Cyberpunk kerfuffle. I just had to swallow my tears and move on with my life.

Fast forward to two years later, and turns out that the publisher handed over this mess to some other developer who finally managed to bring it to playable state by releasing a chunky patch. Literally remaking a remake - lol. Although make no mistake, even though the game is finally playable, it's still inferior to the original in every imaginable way. But what the hell, I think, I'm just gonna go ahead and see what's up and maybe even shake hands with it. Bury the old hatchet, as they say. But here's where my jaw dropped because I noticed that they also released a PS5 "upgrade" (which - surprise, surprise - upgrades pretty much nothing) and here's the most appalling thing about it: these scum-sucking bastards expect me to pay 10 fuck-mothering dollars for the privilege of playing this shit fest on PS5?

Unbelievable.

This thing should have been given out for free for the shit they pulled two years ago. I don't even wanna hear about any arguments that the developers need to be paid for their work or whatever. It's this garbage publisher who should be paying their wages out of their own pockets for selling an unplayable dumpster fire of a game in the first place, and then also beg their customers to give it another chance. I hope these bastards will rot in hell where they belong.

hallelujah-christmas.gif

Ok, now when I got that out of my chest - rant over. Thank you and apologies in advance for making my first thread about this bullshit.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I remember seeing the state it launched on PC and completely lost interest. I remember thinking it was a fun time on the original and would have eventually got around to playing it.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Apparently the upgrade is free?

I played the original back in the day on GameCube and enjoyed it, it was a bargain bin game back then too, so I'm surprised to see it got a remake tbh.

Last edited:
From what I’ve read, you don’t actually need the PS5 edition. The PS4 version runs at 60 fps on PS5.

But it’s still a crappy move to try to sucker people out of $10 when the game launched in such a bad state.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Apparently the upgrade is free?

I played the original back in the day on GameCube and enjoyed it, it was a bargain bin game back then too, so I'm surprised to see it got a remake tbh.
The patch is free (although I'm shocked they didn't put a price tag on it too) but if you previously owned a PS4 version then you need to fork out another tenner if you want the PS5 upgrade.

Honestly, I don't even know what this upgrade does because it doesn't say anything about it on the store page, and the PS4 version runs just fine in 60 FPS.

Mr Hyde

It's sad to see developers treat old classics like this. If they get an opportunity to redo a beloved game and introduce it to a new audience, as well as cashing in on nostalgic fans, then for fucks sake do it right. It's not too much to ask.

A.Romero

I saw a video of it last week. It seems they should have let that IP die. They excavated the corpse, painted it like a whore and released it to the world missing chunks. Now they sew some chunks into it but it still looks like shit.

Too bad, I remember being interested in the game back when it released but didn't have a platform to play it on. Now I rather imagine how it would have been.

Sorry for your burn, OP.

Banned
the fact that they implemented ADS and a Sprint button alone makes this remake a joke.
also stealth seems to be extremely discouraged when it was a big part of the original game.

I haven't played it and never will, but the videos I have seen, even from the Re-Remake version, just look like pure garbage

Drizzlehell

Banned
I saw a video of it last week. It seems they should have let that IP die. They excavated the corpse, painted it like a whore and released it to the world missing chunks. Now they sew some chunks into it but it still looks like shit.

Too bad, I remember being interested in the game back when it released but didn't have a platform to play it on. Now I rather imagine how it would have been.

Sorry for your burn, OP.
Yeah, I blame myself here. Mostly because:
This is when reviews would matter.

It's also disheartening to think that even if this game was a high profile release on par with CP2077 or GTA remasters, and the outrage would've helped to at least bag a refund, it wouldn't really change anything in the grand scheme of things. More publishers will likely keep getting away with crap like this in the future because people just keep buying this stuff. I can't even criticise anyone for doing so because I'm also guilty of it, lol. But at least I've learned my lesson and ever since, I've been careful about buying dodgy remasters or just games that get a lot of negative buzz upon release. Doubt that I'm gonna repeat the same mistake again.

Last edited:
For anyone who doesn't know or doesn't care, in 2020 some fuck nuggets decided to release a remake of an obscure (but a cult classic) cel-shaded shooter from 2003 called XIII - and it was one of the worst things in gaming history. Like, no joke, it was like 1000x worse than Cyberpunk or Fallout 76. I got this on PS4 and I literally never got past level 3 because the game was in such a sorry ass state that it kept crashing roughly 3-5 times per level, often making me lose a whole lot of progress. And if that wasn't bad enough, the game was bugged up the ass, which also often forced me into reloading a save because of numerous game-breaking bugs (ofc while hoping that the game wouldn't crash again while doing so).

So yeah, it was an absolutely miserable purchase, which I couldn't even refund because of Sony's dumb refund policy, as well as the fact that literally no one in the world gave a shit about this game. There was no widespread controversy that would force Sony's hand into refunding people like in the case Cyberpunk kerfuffle. I just had to swallow my tears and move on with my life.

Fast forward to two years later, and turns out that the publisher handed over this mess to some other developer who finally managed to bring it to playable state by releasing a chunky patch. Literally remaking a remake - lol. Although make no mistake, even though the game is finally playable, it's still inferior to the original in every imaginable way. But what the hell, I think, I'm just gonna go ahead and see what's up and maybe even shake hands with it. Bury the old hatchet, as they say. But here's where my jaw dropped because I noticed that they also released a PS5 "upgrade" (which - surprise, surprise - upgrades pretty much nothing) and here's the most appalling thing about it: these scum-sucking bastards expect me to pay 10 fuck-mothering dollars for the privilege of playing this shit fest on PS5?

Unbelievable.

This thing should have been given out for free for the shit they pulled two years ago. I don't even wanna hear about any arguments that the developers need to be paid for their work or whatever. It's this garbage publisher who should be paying their wages out of their own pockets for selling an unplayable dumpster fire of a game in the first place, and then also beg their customers to give it another chance. I hope these bastards will rot in hell where they belong.

hallelujah-christmas.gif

Ok, now when I got that out of my chest - rant over. Thank you and apologies in advance for making my first thread about this bullshit.
Never seen a bigger tantrum over $10.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I mean if they was charging for the patch to fix their broken mess that would be taking the piss.
But it still boggles me that people are shocked by next gen upgrade fees when only last gen we had to pay full price for NextGen versions.
I know the free upgrade is a thing now, but not everyone does it.
So why so surprised 🤔
But really those publishers that are giving away free upgrade must be losing out.
most PS4 versions of games from the previous gen more then doubled the games sales.
I'm assuming that not the case when they giving it away free.
Imagine if the Last of Us Remastered & GTAV was a free upgrade on PS4 if you had the PS3 version

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think it’s more about the audacity of the publisher releasing a steaming pile of shit, and asking $10 for an upgrade fee to play on your new console.

They should be trying to score some goodwill, after that shitty remake attempt.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This is why I main on PC Steam. User reviews, 2 hours return policy and no need to pay for upgrade.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I mean if they was charging for the patch to fix their broken mess that would be taking the piss.
But it still boggles me that people are shocked by next gen upgrade fees when only last gen we had to pay full price for NextGen versions.
I know the free upgrade is a thing now, but not everyone does it.
So why so surprised 🤔
But really those publishers that are giving away free upgrade must be losing out.
most PS4 versions of games from the previous gen more then doubled the games sales.
I'm assuming that not the case when they giving it away free.
Imagine if the Last of Us Remastered & GTAV was a free upgrade on PS4 if you had the PS3 version
Because
I think it’s more about the audacity of the publisher releasing a steaming pile of shit, and asking $10 for an upgrade fee to play on your new console.

They should be trying to score some goodwill, after that shitty remake attempt.

Reactions: TGO

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I have never, a single time, had Sony refuse a refund for my account. I have only contacted them 5 maybe 6 times, but in each case they fully refunded my money.
These were all for games with horrible performance or bug related issues (and no Cyberpunk was not one I refunded).

Drizzlehell

Banned
I have never, a single time, had Sony refuse a refund for my account. I have only contacted them 5 maybe 6 times, but in each case they fully refunded my money.
These were all for games with horrible performance or bug related issues (and no Cyberpunk was not one I refunded).
They refused my requests every time, except for Cyberpunk. Their official policy states that all you gotta do is to download the game from the store to make refund impossible. Which in practice is obvious bullshit and goes against consumer's rights in many countries but whadda gonna do when you're literally fighting against support automatons who go with the script and don't give a shit about anything.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Game was cool on the gamecube but never beat it. Might be time to emulate it
Or you could just play PC version since it's running pretty well even on modern systems.

That's what's cool about those old Unreal engine - even in the year 3000 or whatever, when we will have positronic supercomputers lodged in our skulls, you will still be able to run an old-ass Unreal engine game from 1999 with zero issues.

Top Bottom