• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I drove an hour and a half to sell something on Craigslist and the buyer had no cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaganIsGOAT

UPDATE* Please stop telling me to use the B/S/T thread I have been posting this there for several weeks with no success.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=158438044&postcount=4092

So I've been hurting financially since my IT job ended at the end of January. I've barely been scraping by because I have been getting so few hours at my ski/snowboard teching job due to the resorts being so slow. I have medical bills to pay and I have been trying to sell whatever I can to stay afloat. Sold my gaming PC and my limited edition Destiny headphones already. So right now I am trying to sell my PS Vita and Xbox One on Craigslist. Would sell my PS4 but my girlfriend has it.

Long story short, a guy emailed me about my PS Vita CL ad and said he was really interested and wanted to buy it. I was pretty excited seeing as more bills are piling up and this is gonna help. He can't drive to me so I told him my financial situation and asked nicely if he could throw in an extra $20 because I would have to drive an hour and half to his place. He agrees and says he will pay $200 plus the extra $20 in cash for my Vita with 64gb memory card and a nyko grip. So I confirm an early delivery this morning with him and head down. I finally get to his place and it is a kid probably in late teens or early 20s. I let him check out the handheld for a good 20 minutes and let him set it all up to prove it works flawlessly. From talking to him already I had guessed he was autistic but that doesn't really matter to me.

So I finally ask him, "so what do you think?" He replies, "I like it! Give me your bank account information and I will have my parents transfer the money into your account tonight" EXCUSE ME?!? I say, "you told me you had cash on hand for this and I will not give you my bank account information. We agreed on cash and I wouldn't have driven here if I had known otherwise." He goes on to tell me how I can trust him yada yada. I tell him, "hand me the Vita and you call your parents and tell them what is going on right now. You tell them I just drove and hour and a half to sell this to you because you told me you had the cash on hand."

So he goes inside for about 10 minutes and comes out saying, "if you come back around 5 my dad will be home and he can give you cash." I can't believe what I am hearing at this point. I say, "call your dad and tell him what is happening." So he calls his dad on speaker phone so I am hearing everything (this wasn't my request) his dad is like, "YOU DID WHAT?!" The son tells him, "The guy who is selling the Vita is here right now" The dad has no clue what he is talking about for a minute or two then retorts, "Wait, you invited someone to the house?" The son takes him off speaker phone and then a few minutes later hands me the phone saying his dad would like to speak with me.

He goes on to explain that his son is autistic and he shouldn't have done this. I explain that I had no clue any of this was going to happen because we were corresponding through email. I ask politely if his son at least had a little money for gas he can give me. He then gets short with me like it is my fault and says, "My son has no money, don't ask for any and leave my property now." I hand the phone back to the son, get it my car and drive off.

I can't fucking believe it. Great fun driving all that way to only get fucked in the end and made to feel like I did something wrong. What if that kid does this to someone ill tempered? I am pretty level headed and I was pissed. Last time I ever do this shit. FUCK.

TL/DR. Found buyer on CL for my PS Vita. Needed me to drive the hour and a half to him and agreed to pay extra and cash because of my time. Get there and he is autistic and has no cash for me and his dad tells me to leave the property wasting my money and time.

DemiMatt

Yeah, never go to their place or anything. Always best to meet somewhere mutual or have them come meet you (in your city not at your place).

Wait, so you still have the Vita?

You made out ok.

I thought you were going to get robbed half way through the story.

Just sell in the NeoGAF B/S/T thread.

Moppet13

I was expecting this to be a next level nigerian email scam kind of thing when he said leave your bank account information

t-storm

When I'm a seller, I always have people come to me (and they will if they're serious about buying) or meet at a mall/major store closeby.

Pavaloo

my bro once spent $500 on a phone only for it to get blacklisted the next day

i'd say you made it out alright lol

still shitty regardless

jaypah

You didn't get fucked, you got lightly fondled. Craig's List fuckings end in robbery or death. Sucks that you had to waste your damn money and still didn't have a buyer. I would have been pissed too.

Anjelus_

Perspective. This wasn't a big deal, I was expecting you to get robbed.

Don't go to people's houses for CL deals. Public places only. Move on and try again.

Rootbeer

Banned
I've sold a few things on CL. One guy came with his GF to buy some stuff from me when I was moving and needed to drop some old items.

It was all in great shape, I could have gotten more off ebay but I was in a hurry and figured I could move it faster off CL

Guy came buy but didn't have the full amount. Said he was $10 short. Really!?

Sent his ass packing.

Fuck people that shady bullshit like this. Feel for you OP

depths20XX

I don't get all the "never meet at their place"

There are some things you buy on there that are kinda huge.

I bought a synthesizer, keyboard and amp from some guy and went to his house so I could make sure it all worked first. I guess in hindsight it might have not been the best idea but I dunno how else I would have gotten to test it out.

SaganIsGOAT

I need money so you can all keep giving me the "meet in public" speech but when you are getting suffocated by bills you may understand why I rushed to do this. And I am upset because I am hurting for money and this hurt me more.

VanWinkle

Could have been a lot worse, but that's still really unfortunate considering your situation. Never agree to a sell unless you're meeting at a public place about halfway between you and the buyer/seller.

ISOM

I need money so you can all keep giving me the "meet in public" speech but when you are getting suffocated by bills you may understand why I rushed to do this.

Well now you know. If someone really wants to buy from you, they will go to you or meet you half way. Desperation makes you a more easily target to get fooled.

I need money so you can all keep giving me the "meet in public" speech but when you are getting suffocated by bills you may understand why I rushed to do this. And I am upset because I am hurting for money and this hurt me more.

Do you have someone in the family who can lend you some cash? I always leech off my parents when I'm broke

Kieli

That wasn't very smart thing to do.

Meet in a public venue and do not waste your time. If they don't have money, immediately leave.

RIP, Tim Bosma.

Patryn

The meeting in public thing isn't just about your safety. It also helps to weed out people like this guy who are jerking you around or aren't looking to actually pay you.

so you went to sell your vita and ended up not selling it? what kind of non-story

But look on the bright side:
xjPi6Th.gif

Leunam

You have my sympathy since you have nothing to show for that three hour drive, but you shouldn't have taken that extra step to ask for gas money after its already clear that kid shouldn't have been making these kinds of dealings in the first place. That I don't understand.

GoldChain

I get it dude, times are tough - but you gotta be smarter than that.

The moment someone on craigslist tells me they cant make it wherever I'm selling, too fucking bad. That's their problem, not yours. If they really want to purchase what you are selling, they will make accommodations.

Anyways, move on, learn from your mistakes and don't repeat them.

BadHand

I've bought and sold a TON of stuff on Craigslist over many many years. Most of the time it's smaller items you can buy/sell in public areas but other times you need to test more expensive items at home before you buy or help move large items from the home (you're not gonna be taking a refrigerator down to the local mall parking lot).

You just have to be careful and use your common sense. I wouldn't normally drive long distances to sell something, but if I was in dire straits I may have.

ViciousDS

Banned
I've sold a few things on CL. One guy came with his GF to buy some stuff from me when I was moving and needed to drop some old items.

It was all in great shape, I could have gotten more off ebay but I was in a hurry and figured I could move it faster off CL

Guy came buy but didn't have the full amount. Said he was $10 short. Really!?

Sent his ass packing.

Fuck people that shady bullshit like this. Feel for you OP

Yes, buddy has had a LOT of people that do this shit.

They don't pull the cash out and say they could only get (so much money usually $20-$30 short. It's funny cause some of them will actually drive an hour to pull this shit, its even better when they get all pissed when he tells them to go back to where they came from. Some refuse to leave the house without getting the item because they drove short handed in cash purposely and agreed to the final price. (he invites them over because good luck coming back with over 20 firearms that are ready for self defense. ) Yes, they scatter pretty fucking quick, none of them loaded though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom