• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I drove an hour and a half to sell something on Craigslist and the buyer had no cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Eh, I disagree. 8 months ago I drove a little over an hour to buy a xbox 360 250gb slim. Only cost me $75. Looked barely used and a kid sold it to me because he didn't play it anymore. His mom was there waiting in the car.

Never spoke to him and we only messaged through emails. Got no regrets.

You were buying. That's expected.

The advice about not driving out was if you're selling.

Buyer always does pickup. That's the way to sell smart on CL.

Redd

Few years back when I had to upgrade the hard drive on my old xbox 360 I wanted to sell my old 20gb hard drive. Put a fair price $25 for it but the buyer lived an hour from my house. Since my job was only about 30 minutes from him and I just wanted to get rid of it I ended up making the drive after work.

Anyway he was late about 15 minutes but when he did show he handed me two $20s. Told him I didn't have change and he said I could keep it. The tough part about Craig's list is sorting through the bs imo.

greepoman

OP did you not see the recent news about the pregnant woman who went to someone's home to buy baby clothes off Craig's list and had her fetus cut out of her which died? A story like that should make you think twice about going to someone's house on CL. I mean yeah get angry for a bit but then learn from your mistake and move on. From this thread it seems you have an unhealthy amount of lingering anger.

That isn't a rule. If you're buying and you drive out of your way, you could just as easily show up to find the item isn't as described. The fact is you make the best call that you can. If driving a little further helps you sell something at a higher price, then you weigh the pros and cons of doing so. In this case, it didn't work out for the OP. In this case, if I was the OP, I'd rather sell it for a little less than drive a total of 3 hours regardless of whether or not I was being compensated for gas.

That being said, if the deal had gone smoothly then we wouldn't be in this thread right now and the OP would be a couple hundred bucks richer. You simply have to make the best call that you can when it comes to Craigslist. Even playing it the safest route you'll still get fucked sometimes. That's just how it goes.

Sure, the father is not in the immediate wrong (he probably assumed the OP was a lot of things he wasn't) and got scared, but I can't fault the OP either.

To people attacking him or calling him out, I hope you never lose your job, are in need of cash, have to sell your belongings one by one, count every fucking cent or penny to get through each day, and resort to asking people to show some common decency for shitty things their unsupervised kids did and affected you.

If your in dire straights it would be fucking stupid to do anything you said. Seriously. You need to maximize your money and get everything you can out of everything. Not sell it as cheap as possible.
Sometimes in buisiness you need to take a small loss to get a bigger win later on. A small gain is better than nothing. When you are down the drain financially, you don't have the luxury of waiting for the perfect deal most of the time. If you are, than it just means you're certainly not as much in a crisis as you made us believe in the first place. He's not in dire need of anything if he's just going back to waiting for a potential buyer.

SaganIsGOAT

Thank you so much to those who told me to separate out the bundles! I have already made $310 off of my Xbox and still have the TV remote, Controller adapter, TitanFall code and Kinect to sell. I got responses immediately!! Thanks again!

Syriel

Thank you so much to those who told me to separate out the bundles! I have already made $310 off of my Xbox and still have the TV remote, Controller adapter, TitanFall code and Kinect to sell. I got responses immediately!! Thanks again!

Glad to hear it worked out. :)

Selling separately is always the way to go if you're looking for max profit.

Selling a bundle is the way to go if you want to sell cheap, but quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom