• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I drove an hour and a half to sell something on Craigslist and the buyer had no cash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, from what you said, you had realised before hand that the father didn't even know what the son was talking about. What the fuck did you think was going to happened when you asked for money from his autistic son? Of course he was short with you. You were the one not thinking straight. Be it from a lack of money or not, there's always a chance for shit to happen when selling stuff over the internet when you don't see cash upfront. Welcome to the internet.

This. I mean come on, lol. You know dude is autistic and you trying to get gas money? While you unwelcome in the fathers home? Just take the "L". It's OK. Lol.

I'm pretty sure his father is going to take care of that. He's autistic, asking for any money without his parents there is inappropriate.

Exactly. Dad doesn't know you and he now has a stranger in his home asking for money. I'd flip the fuck out too.

Geneijin

You're more likely to sell them if you sell them separately. Someone who wants a cheap, used Vita doesn't care about having a 64GB card. They're going to snag a $10-15 16GB card and call it a day.

Someone who has a Vita and wants a 64GB card at a discount, isn't going to want to have to buy a Vita along with it that they then have to resell.

The market for someone who wants both of those items bundled is very small.

Plus, if you sell them separately, you might make a few extra $$$.
Pretty much. A 64 GB memory card and a Vita for $200? Better off selling those separately because they're less marketable than listing them separately.

The Beard

op never confirmed if the dad was willign to pay or not or if he would be at home at 5pm.
the father said piss off, after op asked if his son has any money.
if i would be his father i would be scared a fucking nutjob will take adventage of my child and rob him/extort him. (hes autistic and there are enough horrorstorys in with craigslist)

and i am not saying waiting in his house. i would wait in the car or a cheap location. wouldn't wanna see/spent any time with that guy.

The part were the OP said the kid had his dad on speaker phone and the dad sounded like this was the first time he had ever heard the word Vita before and was shocked/pissed off that his kid invited a stranger to his house, was kind of a give away that a transaction wasn't going to happen that day.

Now if the dad had said, "can you come back at 5pm ? I'll bring you the cash". That's a little different story, but still have you ever had to burn 7 hours by yourself with no cash ? Not easy. This wouldn't have happened though. The dad was completely caught off guard and probably freaked the fuck out at the thought of some random guy at his house wanting cash for a device he has no experience with. OP had no chance of selling the Vita that day.

Not to mention, it was a pretty shitty deal to begin with. A quick Amazon search would show the dad he can get a much better deal for a used Vita that would suffice for his autistic son. I doubt he needs the 64gb memory. Tack on the $20 gas charge the son agreed to, and now you're practically paying full retail.

SaganIsGOAT

This. I mean come on, lol. You know dude is autistic and you trying to get gas money? While you unwelcome in the fathers home? Just take the "L". It's OK. Lol.

I live in the real world where there are real consequences. I was told I would have $220 dollars waiting for me in CASH. I was made to believe that after our email communication. So what does this kid learn? He can lie to people over the internet, invite them to his house and not have any repercussions? He fucked me over and wasted my time and I have absolutely NOTHING to show for it. I asked the dad courteously, hey you know your son lied to me and I drove an hour and a half to meet him here, would it be too much for him to throw down a little for my gas money? Instead I am told to leave his property. It doesn't matter if you are autistic, you are dealing with real people in the real world where there are very real consequences. I am the only one who loses here while this kid goes back inside to play his PS4. I am sorry but I can not agree that just because he is autistic I should laugh this shit off and be like oh silly me why would I ask for gas money he is autistic this is all fantasy land to him lol. Fuck that.

Jenenser

The part were the OP said the kid had his dad on speaker phone and the dad sounded like this was the first time he had ever heard the word Vita before and was shocked/pissed off that his kid invited a stranger to his house, was kind of a give away that a transaction wasn't going to happen that day.

Now if the dad had said, "can you come back at 5pm ? I'll bring you the cash". That's a little different story, but still have you ever had to burn 7 hours by yourself with no cash ? Not easy. This wouldn't have happened though. The dad was completely caught off guard and probably freaked the fuck out at the thought of some random guy at his house wanting cash for a device he has no experience with. OP had no chance of selling the Vita that day.

reads more like a "you did what? (you invited a stranger into our home, while no one else is there)
could be a misinterpretation on my part (or on yours). in the end it still isn't clear.

and yes, because i was in the same (if not even worse) situation than op that i can say i would've waited the 7 hours even if i would have no cash.

NickFire

He goes on to explain that his son is autistic and he shouldn't have done this. I explain that I had no clue any of this was going to happen because we were corresponding through email. I ask politely if his son at least had a little money for gas he can give me. He then gets short with me like it is my fault and says, "My son has no money, don't ask for any and leave my property now." I hand the phone back to the son, get it my car and drive off.

I can't fucking believe it. Great fun driving all that way to only get fucked in the end and made to feel like I did something wrong.

You didn't do anything wrong up until the part the father explained his son's issues and you asked for money in response. I get that it sucks to have a sale fall through, but look at this from the father's end. He is raising a child with a disability, and then gets a call from said child letting him know a stranger he met on the internet is in his house and asking for money. Once he is assured nothing nefarious is going on, he then explains the disability to you, as well as that the kid has no money, and in response you asked for less money then.

I don't understand how you don't understand why the father reacted the way he did. Any reasonable person in the father's position would demand you leave his son alone and leave his house immediately under the circumstances. It would also be understandable if he called the police just for a well being check - not to accuse you of a crime, but to make sure you were really leaving and his son was not in danger.

Jenenser

I live in the real world where there are real consequences. I was told I would have $220 dollars waiting for me in CASH. I was made to believe that after our email communication. So what does this kid learn? He can lie to people over the internet, invite them to his house and not have any repercussions? He fucked me over and wasted my time and I have absolutely NOTHING to show for it. I asked the dad courteously, hey you know your son lied to me and I drove an hour and a half to meet him here, would it be too much for him to throw down a little for my gas money? Instead I am told to leave his property. It doesn't matter if you are autistic, you are dealing with real people in the real world where there are very real consequences. I am the only one who loses here while this kid goes back inside to play his PS4. I am sorry but I can not agree that just because he is autistic I should laugh this shit off and be like oh silly me why would I ask for gas money he is autistic this is all fantasy land to him lol. Fuck that.

well, he doesn't.
and in that sense he is not eligible to make a buycontract with you (like we in the real world established for people that are not capabel of making well tought decisions). the dad is. as the seller you have to swallow the pill in this situation. if we base the whole thing on the law.

SaganIsGOAT

Not to mention, it was a pretty shitty deal to begin with. A quick Amazon search would show the dad he can get a much better deal for a used Vita that would suffice for his autistic son. I doubt he needs the 64gb memory. Tack on the $20 gas charge the son agreed to, and now you're practically paying full retail.

Shitty deal. GTFO with that bullshit.

Let do some quick Amazon shopping for a PS Vita used in Like new Condition with the cheapest 64GB memory card I can find any my grip.

I will even chose one classified as very good. Cheapest is $124.75
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O6EATE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cheapest 64GB memory card on Amazon is a new one for $80.99 plus $7.99 in Shipping
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F27JGVA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And the grip.
Cheapest is $12.49 plus $3.89 shipping
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G9X4YRM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$230.11

Slavik81

Welcome to the world of business. These things happen.

There is a lesson there, though. Don't commit to doing work without first getting payment.

So in the real world that you live in, did you ever think for a second that his father might or will do something about it and not let this go on? It's time you get a real taste of the real world you live in OP, and get that sometimes, the world just fucks you over. Then again, not because it does that you're entitled to get compensated for it. That's just the princess inside of you thinking out loud.

You still havn't answered why you're not selling your Vita to a retailler like Gamestop if you're in need of so much cash. You love to bitch, as you've proved with the thread, but you don't take the L, nor do you make the sacrifice needed (take less $ for vita) for your supposedly horrifying financial state?

SaganIsGOAT

So in the real world that you live in, did you ever think for a second that his father might or will do something about it and not let this go on? It's time you get a real taste of the real world you live in OP, and get that sometimes, the world just fucks you over. Then again, not because it does that you're entitled to get compensated for it. That's just the princess inside of you thinking out loud.

You still havn't answered why you're not selling your Vita to a retailler like Gamestop if you're in need of so much cash. You love to bitch, as you've proved with the thread, but you don't take the L, nor do you make the sacrifice needed (take less $ for vita) for your supposedly horrifying financial state?

Will you fuck off already? You have done nothing but antagonize me.

Nose Master

Why the fuck would you drive out to someone as the seller? That's not how craigslist works. You make the buyer come and get it.

You ought to email this post to him and his dad. I've no doubt they'll see the errors of their ways and be happy to do business with someone like you again.

Why the fuck would you drive out to someone as the seller? That's not how craigslist works. You make the buyer come and get it.

If the buyer doesn't have the cash, it's their loss for investing time and milage to get to you. This would be a win if I was the seller if I sell or not.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
can't imagine the dad coming home to encounter a random grown man chilling on the living room couch playing Persona 4 with his autistic son.

"Can I ask you who your waifu is, sir? I think Yukiko is slamming!"

Apath

If you are in that much trouble financially, why not go to retailers and ask for a modest sum of money for it, though? A little is better than nothing.

It's the way you interpreted yourself in being entitled to have gaz money from the autistic kid that makes this all ridiculous. Not the actual misfortune of ending up having to do buisiness with a autistic kid and that you missed your opportunity to sell it.
It really seems you are going out of your way to antagonize the OP. Selling something on Craigslist will make him far more money than selling it to a retailer, where he will undoubtedly be ripped off and given less than 50% of what it is worth. And this is common sense, so again, it sounds like you just want to antagonize him.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You learned not to waste YOUR time to take items to people on CL because anyone can use it and there are no repercussions for flaking.

You think its a good deal, but bundles are harder to sell and you need the money.

Its a much nicer lesson that having a 0 feedback eBay person file a 'not as claimed' or 'did not receive' and keep your vita and have be out of pocket $200.

I'm sorry you are not in a good spot now, hope things get better for you.

I can totally understand the dads reaction, shit situation through bad luck but if you were as hostile with him as you seem to be reacting in here I'm not shocked he told you to get off his property.

Edit - really hope you get sorted though I can't fathom how people in a civilised society can be so hampered by medical bills

NickFire

I was just about to say that you should kick this thread to the curb.

Some people here have an incredible lack of empathy. It's insane.

I think I see what you did there. And I approve, assuming you were pointing our the insane lack of empathy belongs to the OP and not the father.

I was just about to say that you should kick this thread to the curb.

Some people here have an incredible lack of empathy. It's insane.

I think asking for money from the father of an autistic child who made a mistake is pretty much a textbook lack of empathy

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Sucks. I've sold plenty of things on CL, and I make everyone come to me now. I've had too many experience with people flaking out to waste my gas, time, and energy. On just about everything I post I get people texting me telling me they're interested, scheduling a time to pick it up, then never showing up, never calling or texting back, never answering texts. Not sure what's wrong with people.
I've sold ebay stuff before, had the person ask a heap of questions, finally buy the item, then flake out and disappear for 2-3 days then respond telling me to 'Cancel the charge ASAP or I'll contact ebay support' as they don't want it anymore. No apology for the time wasted or inconvenience or anything. I had a guy offer me $400 for a Macbook Pro listed at $1,800.

Generally, people are dicks.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
For real though, it's a shitty situation but there's not much you can do about it at this point. Selling the Vita and memory card separately does seem to be a good suggestion to still get a somewhat high price.

neshcom

Banned
I really feel for you, OP, and I probably would have tried to ask for gas money too, but I also feel for the father here. He seems to have zero inkling about the deal and a stranger at his home expecting money for something the father hasn't inspected or gas money when he has absolutely no reason to believe you drove as far as you did.
A stranger is at his house with his mentally disabled son asking for money.

The kid definitely fucked up, but the dad wasn't being unreasonable.

Either you know jack shit about autism or being broke completely fucked up your way of thinking. The kid clearly doesn't have the mental capacity to do ANYTHING money related and yet you still think it's cool asking for money from him.

Komo

Banned
I think asking for money from the father of an autistic child who made a mistake is pretty much a textbook lack of empathy

It's a pretty crummy situation all around, but I feel like his father should have given him some kind of compensation for his son's actions. Even just an apology

Guys gotta stop bashing OP. It's more than reasonable to be pissed off at something like this and expect compensation

It's a pretty crummy situation all around, but I feel like his father should have given him some kind of compensation for his son's actions. Even just an apology

Guys gotta stop bashing OP. It's more than reasonable to be pissed off at something like this

Yeah I would think the father was probably caught a bit off guard and hopefully was a bit apologetic but have no idea how that went

Jigorath

Banned

Are you really surprised his dad told you to leave? You're a complete stranger in his house asking for money. If the parents are decent then the kid will probably be punished in some way. Just take this a life lesson, don't go to a stranger's house when you want to sell something on craigslist.

I would have called the police on you if it was my son. You acted inappropriate. If you need money so bad, take less for the vita elsewhere. You made a series of bad decisions here (including making this thread). Grow up and move on.

NickFire

Guys gotta stop bashing OP. It's more than reasonable to be pissed off at something like this and expect compensation

The OP wrote he's been posting this somewhere for weeks without success. "Reasonable" pissed off has expired.

I know the feels OP. I use the irish version of craigslist a lot, and the amount of people you take time from your schedule out to meet, and they try and haggle with you despite have an agreed price, claim to have no money, offer you dumb swaps, etc.

You know what fuck it I don't even know why I posted this. I am done.

Good decision. No one here will help you unless you would like to be shit on. Best to let it go and ignore the dudes who aren't empathizing with your position of having wasted time. No one is really at fault. Can't exactly blame an autistic kid, I guess.

3N16MA

Banned
Not much you can do but but chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on. Never drive that far out to meet someone and always meet in a public place.

The dad was most likely concerned for his son since he did invite a stranger to the house.

Syriel

Let do some quick Amazon shopping for a PS Vita used in Like new Condition with the cheapest 64GB memory card I can find any my grip.

Cheapest 64GB memory card on Amazon is a new one for $80.99 plus $7.99 in Shipping

And the grip.

$230.11

Actually, this doesn't help your pricing claim.

If you were charging $220 for the same stuff that someone can get off Amazon for $230...you're not really selling cheaply at all, because someone buying off Amazon has Amazon backing them up if things go wrong.

If you really are in need of cash, sell your items separately (and make sure to undercut Amazon) to get them gone quickly.

If you bundle at a price close to what people can get it for from a retailer, there is little reason to go with a private sale. It's just not competitive.

The Beard

And the grip.

$230.11

There's one in very good condition for $115 including shipping. $109 for one in good condition including shipping.

My point was, he doesn't need a 64Gb memory card. He could get a 32Gb for $63.

$115
$63
= $178 to get started. (if he absolutely had to have the grip, then $195)

zero chance of getting robbed or killed = priceless. I'm just saying, from the dads point of view, Amazon is a way better deal.

He could even get a brand New Borderlands 2 bundle which includes an 8Gb memory card, and a game for $193.

It's a shitty deal because you're trying to bundle everything, including a 64Gb memory card which most people don't need. I'm just saying.

Not much you can do but but chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on. Never drive that far out to meet someone and always meet in a public place.

The dad was most likely concerned for his son since he did invite a stranger to the house.

Yeah, I can understand both the father and op. Though, the father could have stood to be a little nicer and understanding, rather than basically telling him to fuck off. At the very least an apology, while firmly telling him to leave. Maybe even offer to talk to him later and work things out after verifying his son is okay.

Chumly

If you are in that much trouble financially, why not go to retailers and ask for a modest sum of money for it, though? A little is better than nothing.

It's the way you interpreted yourself in being entitled to have gaz money from the autistic kid that makes this all ridiculous. Not the actual misfortune of ending up having to do buisiness with a autistic kid and that you missed your opportunity to sell it.
If your in dire straights it would be fucking stupid to do anything you said. Seriously. You need to maximize your money and get everything you can out of everything. Not sell it as cheap as possible.

SaganIsGOAT

I am going to post one last thing. I don't want anyone to get the idea that my conversation with the father had any of the anger I am showing now. I was polite and understanding and made the request. He told me to leave his property. I am angry now because I am told I lack empathy for asking for some money to cover gas. I am angry because I am getting called a whiny bitch for what I had to deal with. I am angry because people are laughing at what happened. I am done posting here now. Sorry for getting upset but I stand by my beliefs that asking for a little gas money wasn't a horrible thing to do. Thanks for those who were supportive and approached the gas money situation from both sides.

Rembrandt

Banned

The kid didn't make a mistake, he was trying to rip him off.. OP has a right to be angry.

But I also understand the dad. Nobody is going to want you to stay around their kid so they can give you $20. It was a dumb request, but I understand why you made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom