• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I drove an hour and a half to sell something on Craigslist and the buyer had no cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

breadtruck

Always meet somewhere halfway in public. First rule of Craigslist.

Dumb.

Yeah, gotta go with this.

At least half way. Otherwise they come to you. Traveling to them as a seller is just asking for trouble, since most people on craigslist are just wasting your time in my experience.

The kid didn't make a mistake, he was trying to rip him off.. OP has a right to be angry.

But I also understand the dad. Nobody is going to want you to stay around their kid so they can give you $20. It was a dumb request, but I understand why you made it.

If you knew anything about autism then you would know that was not the case.

Flo_Evans

Are you really surprised his dad told you to leave? You're a complete stranger in his house asking for money. If the parents are decent then the kid will probably be punished in some way. Just take this a life lesson, don't go to a stranger's house when you want to sell something on craigslist.

The OP really should of shown himself the door after he realized it was an autistic kid with no guardian around. He is lucky the dad wasn't on the other line with the police, cause that's probably what I would have done in the dads shoes.

The OP really should of shown himself the door after he realized it was an autistic kid with no guardian around. He is lucky the dad wasn't on the other line with the police, cause that's probably what I would have done in the dads shoes.

Agreed, it sounds like times are hard for OP but that doesn't excuse having better judgement. If you're in the house with an autistic minor, what on earth are you asking him for gas money for? Suck it up and get out of there, the father would have been well within his rights if he decided to call the police and leave work to rush home.

Kids with autism don't live in a different world, they live in the same world that you do, except perceive it in a different way.

Apath

It's a shitty deal because you're trying to bundle everything, including a 64Gb memory card which most people don't need. I'm just saying.
Then they don't need to buy it? Of course he is going to ask for money based on the value of the package and not what it would be worth to someone who doesn't need more memory. And to top it off, you should be asking more than what you want or expect to get because people will always negotiate. This is such an odd criticism.

I mean, are people here just fucking with the OP? I'm honestly curious.

The guy above said $220 was too much for $230 worth of stuff, but the $20 was extra because he had to drive an hour and a half. And if $200 for a Vita, 64GB card, and grip is too much (it isn't), then people can offer less.

Count

Banned
I think I see what you did there. And I approve, assuming you were pointing our the insane lack of empathy belongs to the OP and not the father.

I'm just going to assume that you barely read through this thread at all, much less any other post I made here. Otherwise I'm going to have to assume that you have some severe issues with reading comprehension.

Or maybe this is an April Fools' joke? An incredibly dry one? Ha ha?

I was referring to neither the OP nor the father

NickFire

I'm just going to assume that you barely read through this thread at all, much less any other post I made here. Otherwise I'm going to have to assume that you have some severe issues with reading comprehension.

Or maybe this is an April Fools' joke? An incredibly dry one? Ha ha?

I was referring to neither the OP nor the father

You go on and assume whatever makes you happy. I already made the mistake of assuming you recognized how shitty it is to ask the father for gas money from his disabled son as described in this thread. I apologize for assuming you were capable of seeing just how wrong that was.

You go on and assume whatever makes you happy. I already made the mistake of assuming you recognized how shitty it is to ask the father for gas money from his disabled son as described in this thread. I apologize for assuming you were capable of seeing just how wrong that was.

Asking for the gas money, politely, isn't wrong. He wasn't demanding it. And as soon as the father asked the OP to leave, he did. Asking for something, even if you're not entitled to it (which I'm not saying the OP is or isn't in this case) isn't inherently wrong. Not all people will react the same way; repeat the exact same situation in the OP a good number of times with random people, and it is likely that the father's response would be different in some of the cases. The only way for the OP to find out was to ask. For him it was worth a try. For someone else it isn't. That doesn't make one wrong and the other right.

NickFire

Asking for the gas money, politely, isn't wrong. He wasn't demanding it. And as soon as the father asked the OP to leave, he did. Asking for something, even if you're not entitled to it (which I'm not saying the OP is or isn't in this case) isn't inherently wrong. Not all people will react the same way; repeat the exact same situation in the OP a good number of times with random people, and it is likely that the father's response would be different in some of the cases. The only way for the OP to find out was to ask. For him it was worth a try. For someone else it isn't. That doesn't make one wrong and the other right.

It absofuckinlutely is wrong under these specific circumstances.

DemiMatt

Really, an alarm should have gone off when someone wanted to buy your Vita, much less for that much money.

giphy.gif

Let me be clear: I'm not saying the OP handled the situation optimally, or that the father isn't excused for reacting the way he did. All I'm saying is that the OP isn't technically in the wrong for what he did. Even if I wouldn't have done it myself.

It absofuckinlutely is wrong under these specific circumstances.

Why? If the kid had taken a bat to OPs car would he not be right to ask for damages? Just because the kid cannot comprehend the damage he has caused doesnt mean it all should be forgiven at the expense of someone else. His parents are responsible for him. OP was totally justified in asking for gas money.

Its not like he knew for certain the kid was disabled and chose to drive there anyway.

NickFire

Citation needed.

You sound like a moral absolutist. I find your kind narrow minded and dangerous, like religious fundamentalists.

No one was hurt by the act of asking. Ergo, not wrong.

The father was clearly caused emotional distress by the strange man, already upset about not getting promised money, then asking him to have his disabled son, who met him on the Internet, to give him some money he did not have and all while home alone in their house with the disabled child. Yes, that is harm, and it's a shame your open mind can't see that.

I don't know if the OP is still reading, but I just want to echo some of the other posters here and say that you should definitely sell the memory stick separately. When I sold my Vita, I sold the stick separately and made a nice chunk of change. They both sold fast too since I was able to keep the prices competitive and not have to worry about selling myself short on a bundle.

If it's a new Vita owner, they may not realize how much space they need. They just want the system for as cheap as possible.

Well at least we know what kind of people buy a vita

I'm going to hell

or being banned

if this joke is too much, please tell me and i'll delete it

:[

I also don't understand this paranoid fear about giving people you bank account information. That's its purpose, you give it out so people can make deposits on it. You obviously don't have to give any passwords or anything.

I guess I'm just baffled that in a first world country no way could be found to make this transaction and it turned out to be a huge waste of time for everyone involved.

There is NOTHING someone can do with just your bank account information. Stop spreading nonsense.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having someone make a deposit to a bank account in the US. I've done it before for large items.

It is pretty much zero risk. And it can also be convenient for the buyer if your bank is a large one with branches everywhere.

I give someone a bank account number. They go into a local branch and make a deposit in cash. I know within a minute that the deposit was made and once the deposit is made, there is no way for the money to leave the account without my permission. And there is no extra fee for the buyer.

Only if you live in paranoid conspiracy land.

In reality, no it's not.

Y'all have been listening to Jeremy Clarkson.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2008/jan/07/personalfinancenews.scamsandfraud

The father was clearly caused emotional distress by the strange man, already upset about not getting promised money, then asking him to have his disabled son, who met him on the Internet, to give him some money he did not have and all while home alone in their house with the disabled child. Yes, that is harm, and it's a shame your open mind can't see that.

MUYhFT4.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
I am going to post one last thing. I don't want anyone to get the idea that my conversation with the father had any of the anger I am showing now. I was polite and understanding and made the request. He told me to leave his property. I am angry now because I am told I lack empathy for asking for some money to cover gas. I am angry because I am getting called a whiny bitch for what I had to deal with. I am angry because people are laughing at what happened. I am done posting here now. Sorry for getting upset but I stand by my beliefs that asking for a little gas money wasn't a horrible thing to do. Thanks for those who were supportive and approached the gas money situation from both sides.

can i get some bandwidth money for having to waste my data on this thread?

Count

Banned

It's been laid out pretty clearly how the OP's actions can be considered reasonable. You're basically ignoring it all just to push a single and narrow perspective.

It sounds like you don't want to bother with this conversation. If so, why even post? To save face? No one fucking cares, dude.

NickFire

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Thanks for the laugh.

NickFire

Thanks for the laugh.

Ok you have me genuinely confused by the highlight. Are you suggesting that the end of that quote proves I am a religious fundamentalist? I'll fil you in on a secret if so.

That aside, this isn't an issue of hurting the dads feelings. This is an issue of scaring the guy. I have no problem being offensive. My problem is the context, which any reasonable person in the fathers position would be scared by.

Darren870

Its okay OP, I agree with you.

The deal was you would sell the Vita for $200 and you would be paid $20 to make the trip. You didn't sell the Vita in the end, which sucks but you did make the trip. The "kid" agreed he would pay you $20 for driving out to sell it to him and you upheld you end of the deal. I would have been pissed as well and asked for my $20.

Don't see how anyone can say otherwise.

Ok you have me genuinely confused by the highlight. Are you suggesting that the end of that quote proves I am a religious fundamentalist? I'll fil you in on a secret if so.

You call Christopher Fucking Hitchens' words "one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard" and a "rambling, incoherent response".

You mention rational thought and then you invoke God.

That aside, this isn't an issue of hurting the dads feelings. This is an issue of scaring the guy. I have no problem being offensive. My problem is the context, which any reasonable person in the fathers position would be scared by.

I already addressed this issue before you brought it up.

You have demonstrated to me that you are either a troll or an ignoramus, neither of which I deem worthy of my time, and I doubt anything I say will go through your thick skull. So don't expect any more responses from me.

raw

You deal with the shittiest people on craiglist when selling videogames. Always people trolling you on there or low balling you with ridiculous offers way lower than asking price. I've sold alot of stuff on craigslist and the videogame category is the only section where this stuff happens. That's why I meet 5 minutes away from where I live at a Starbucks during daytime hours and have them text me when I get there so I don't waste my time.

Darren870

You call Christopher Fucking Hitchens' words "one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard" and a "rambling, incoherent response".

You mention rational thought and then you invoke God.

He was quoting a line from Billy Madison, an Adam Sandler movie.

Cloudy

Banned
You're lucky you didn't get robbed and murdered.

Sell it on eBay. The gas you wasted on that trip would have covered the fees...

I can't blame the dad for getting pissed when a stranger on the Internet came to his home and asked his autistic son for gas money. Especially now that we know said stranger messed up every possible way when selling something on Craigslist.

It's been laid out pretty clearly how the OP's actions can be considered reasonable. You're basically ignoring it all just to push a single and narrow perspective.

It sounds like you don't want to bother with this conversation. If so, why even post? To save face? No one fucking cares, dude.

Nothing reasonable about trying to ask a stranger for gas money. That's your problem.

And fairly or unfairly THAT'S exactly how a protective parent is going to view the situation. Knowing that it'd just be better to take the L and remove oneself from the situation immediately. Not try and negotiate for gas money.

The parent has no way of knowing if the stranger is just concerned or PISSED cause they made a deal and ain't getting paid. Violence has occurred over less.

I'd be concerned in the parents shoes as well.

I can't blame the dad for getting pissed when a stranger on the Internet came to his home and asked his autistic son for gas money. Especially now that we know said stranger messed up every possible way when selling something on Craigslist.

Precisely.

I don't think anyone is blaming the father for getting worried. But I don't blame the OP for asking for the money either. It's not a zero-sum game.

The Beard

Then they don't need to buy it? Of course he is going to ask for money based on the value of the package and not what it would be worth to someone who doesn't need more memory. And to top it off, you should be asking more than what you want or expect to get because people will always negotiate. This is such an odd criticism.

I mean, are people here just fucking with the OP? I'm honestly curious.

The guy above said $220 was too much for $230 worth of stuff, but the $20 was extra because he had to drive an hour and a half. And if $200 for a Vita, 64GB card, and grip is too much (it isn't), then people can offer less.

My whole point was that most people aren't looking to buy a $200 bundle when shopping used. Especially one that doesn't include a game. Especially when you can buy the same console brand new with a game and memory card for $10 cheaper. There's a reason the OP isn't getting any hits on his used Bunduru, except for this one autistic kid. I was just saying, if the father was interested in buying his son a Vita, there are plenty of other cheaper, and safer alternatives.

I don't think anyone is blaming the father for getting worried. But I don't blame the OP for asking for the money either. It's not a zero-sum game.

Not blaming him for asking. Just pointing out how shitty it sounds and how I'm totally not shocked the father responded the way he did...

Two Words

I wouldn't ask the kid for gas money because I wouldn't want it to be misconstrued that I coerced him if he did give me the money.

Wait, the OP asked the dad if the kid is allowed to give him money. Nothing wrong with that. The dad said no, and the OP left.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I just read this thread... really don't think the OP did anything really wrong. He didn't know the kid was autistic. Kind of just one of those fucked up situations that come along sometimes. Asking for gas money was a bit weird, but I can understand where he's coming from.

Anyway, kinda gross the way some people have been responding to the OP... much respect lost today.

Nephtis

I don't blame you for asking for gas money. Given the trip, I think it's reasonable to do so. But that's where I stop being with you.

What is unreasonable is that you had a feeling the kid was autistic and still took a risk by continuing with the sale. Also, selling on CL. Haven't you heard of all the shit that can go bad, man? Also, why the hell were you willing to drive that far? Even with non-autistic people there is a risk that you won't be selling the item you want, especially if the buyer doesn't like it. They're not obligated to buy it, even if you did agree on the gas money beforehand.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't blame you for asking for gas money. Given the trip, I think it's reasonable to do so. But that's where I stop being with you.

What is unreasonable is that you had a feeling the kid was autistic and still took a risk by continuing with the sale. Also, selling on CL. Haven't you heard of all the shit that can go bad, man? Also, why the hell were you willing to drive that far? Even with non-autistic people there is a risk that you won't be selling the item you want, especially if the buyer doesn't like it. They're not obligated to buy it, even if you did agree on the gas money beforehand.

Um... I guess I missed that part somehow. Whoops, that would change things a bit. In my defense it's 1 am.

Nephtis

Um... I guess I missed that part somehow. Whoops, that would change things a bit. In my defense it's 1 am.

Yeah, man

I let him check out the handheld for a good 20 minutes and let him set it all up to prove it works flawlessly. From talking to him already I had guessed he was autistic but that doesn't really matter to me.

I mean, he had a pretty good idea of it apparently but it didn't matter to him. If he just didn't have any idea, then I would've been a bit more sympathetic but...

Redd

never (ever, ever) drive that far to meet someone.

btw, never.

Eh, I disagree. 8 months ago I drove a little over an hour to buy a xbox 360 250gb slim. Only cost me $75. Looked barely used and a kid sold it to me because he didn't play it anymore. His mom was there waiting in the car.

Never spoke to him and we only messaged through emails. Got no regrets.

Apath

My whole point was that most people aren't looking to buy a $200 bundle when shopping used. Especially one that doesn't include a game. Especially when you can buy the same console brand new with a game and memory card for $10 cheaper. There's a reason the OP isn't getting any hits on his used Bunduru, except for this one autistic kid. I was just saying, if the father was interested in buying his son a Vita, there are plenty of other cheaper, and safer alternatives.
You can get a PSVita bundle with a grip and 64GB of memory for $10 less?

I've sold numerous systems with extras that add up to more than a new system without issue over the last few years. Just recently I sold a PSP Go with a 16GB M2 card, case, screen protectors, dock, video out, etc for the price of a new Vita.

If someone is going to have a lot of games on their Vita or use multimedia, a 64GB can be filled. Do you think no one wants 64GB? It just strikes me as strange you say this on a forum where people routinely discuss filling up their systems with games and having enormous back logs.

And did the OP state he was having difficulty selling his device on CL? I don't even see him mentioning the asking price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom