• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I finally beat Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm glad SquareEnix dumped the open world formula.

FF games should be linear. They're about telling a story not climbing Ubisoft towers.
There is nothing with linear design, the reason FFXIII was criticized because its linear design was badly structured.

SCB3

Oh and another tip, play Japanese games in Japanese language with subtitles. So much better.
Thats super subjective tbh, for example Like a Dragon and Judgement are fantastic in English as well as Japanese, FF also is usually translated well

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Thats super subjective tbh, for example Like a Dragon and Judgement are fantastic in English as well as Japanese, FF also is usually translated well
Also Nier Gestalt/Replicant has FANTASTIC English dub, in fact I would go as far as say its super to Japanese voice.

E-Cat

It sounds like you have grown up. I don't get enjoyment from games anymore, either.

Anyway, Nomura should stick to character design.

Last edited:
Ill never forget the pre rendered skybox in the latter levels...it looked so jarring that they literally not only put a jpg picture but a low res one to simulate the background lol. Anyway game was servicable but would def never return to it again.

This game felt like less than the sum of it's parts for me. It just bloats out the first part of the original game to an unbearable extent and some of the narrative changes are really weird and unneccessary. Also sephiroth pops up too frequently for no reason at all, whereas he was more of a mystery in the original.

Gamerguy84

The OG FF7 was the best gaming experience I ever had all time. Maybe because it was special for it's time.

The FF7R not so much. Will play the next one of course so we'll see.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have tried to complete this game 3 times now. On release on my ps4 pro , later on ps5 (save didn’t carry over via the psn cloud), and again on PC.

I had to come back to this game on my PC run about 4 separate times. Each time I would do a handful of chapters before feeling burned out and miserable playing it.

My opinion on it I don’t think is different from many others on why this is such a big time flawed experience and one of the biggest tests of sunken time cost for me. When I made it to chapter 14 I was ready to just watch YT videos for cut scenes because I figured there’s no way the last bits of this game could possibly be worth the effort.

The major issues have to do with padding, filler, and awful pacing. Every time you think you are about to reach a goal the game shits the bed and throws you down a hole, blocks a path, forces you to trekking the dullest environments. Midgar is a slum ass city but the original FF7 made it always feel like you’re going to distinct areas instead of everything looking like a metallic tunnel or sewer non stop.

The game is always forcing you to not be able to run, slowly done “activate” switch scenes, and shimmy sideways through crap. Fortunately some of these are skippable.

I read that the game takes 35 hours to beat and to not skip side quests . FUCK that. I gave up on these miserable excuses for a side quest after beating shiva and fat Choco in VR. Those were fun boss fights , but Cloud killing rats, finding kittens, and every other trash thing they had lined up was not worth anyone’s time. The rewards aren’t either because this game is NOT hard.

The game excels in visuals, voice acting , music, and a fantastic pay out in chapter 18. It was also nice to see Square using CG movie scenes that weren’t very far off from the actual in game .

The combat is a toss up. It’s good during boss fights and completely dull on regular enemies. Flying enemies are a chore, and so are shield guys . The game also struggles to have enough unique enemies in the 28 hours I spent with it.

The early chapters feel good, the middle ones are absolute diarrhea, and about 20% of 16 is good. 17&18 are what your pay out is for sticking with this game, but even 17 shits the bed in Hojos lab .

I want to score it a 4/10, but those good bits are so good that it does make it an 8/10.

A friend of mine is hoping the sequel is open world and I 100% have 0 chance to play if it does to that route . The game is genuinely at its best when it’s just combat, cut scene, combat, cut scene, boss, cut scene. The train graveyard kind of stuff makes me want to punch a hole through my head to stop the misery.

What’s everyone else’s take away on this one ? What are you hoping for in the sequel ? Depending on reviews, impressions, and overall direction I may just go with watching cut scenes/non voice over play through online to avoid being burned for about 20 hours to get a solid 8.

In the end I don’t think I would’ve had less of an experience just watching this online.
I stopped a few hours in. I feel the same for the most part. Just no desire to pick it back up. Same thing with Death Stranding.

GMCamaro

When the news broke, I was honestly shocked that the ‘remake’ was only Midgar and that they would cut the game up into episodes. Then finding out that it wasn’t exactly a ‘remake’ but a ‘retelling’ or pseudo-sequel. Then finding out that this entire project is going to be spread out over MULTIPLE console generations. In my opinion, this entire project has been a complete mess and a blueprint of what not to do in regards to remaking a game.

Top Bottom