• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Finished A Video Game: Dino Crisis Series Retrospective | An Exhaustive History and Review

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Today we excavate the bones of a long extinct franchise - Capcom's second greatest survival horror series - DINO CRISIS.

For too long has it languished in the shadow of Resident Evil and today we'll be shining the spotlight on just what made it such a survival horror classic and why people are desperate for a Dino Crisis remake.

There will be many tangents - Where Devil May Cry came from? What movies does Shinji Mikami like? Why does nobody play Time Crisis with a controller and just how exactly does a dinosaur fly a spaceship?

It's part critique, part retrospective, part review and part history lesson - obviously full of spoilers and obviously full of my opinions.

-----
CHAPTERS

00:00:00 - Conception (Introduction)
00:02:49 - NORD VPN
00:03:53 - Dino Crisis I - Development
00:11:14 - Dino Crisis I - The Heart (Premise)
00:18:01 - Dino Crisis I - The Scales (Graphics)
00:21:54 - Dino Crisis I - The Claws (Dinosaurs)
00:30:13 - Dino Crisis I - The Brain (Puzzles)
00:34:04 - Dino Crisis I - The Blood (Choices)
00:38:48 - Dino Crisis I - The Tail (Endings)
00:54:13 - Dino Crisis I - The Nest (Extras and Impact)
00:57:58 - Dino Crisis II - Development
01:03:42 - Dino Crisis II - Permian Period (The Changes)
01:09:14 - Dino Crisis II - Triassic Period (Images and Combos)
01:16:33 - Dino Crisis II - Jurassic Period (Exploration and Variety)
01:25:01 - Dino Crisis II - Cretaceous Period (Set Pieces)
01:32:37 - Dino Crisis II - Palaeogene Period (Revelations)
01:40:43 - Dino Crisis II - Quarternary Period (Extras and Impact)
01:45:02 - Dino Crisis GBC Attempts
01:47:21 - Dino Stalker - The Land Before Time (Gameplay)
01:57:08 - Dino Stalker - Fallen Kingdom (Narrative)
02:07:27 - Dino Crisis: Dungeon in Crisis
02:09:02 - Dino Crisis III - Development
02:13:45 - Dino Crisis III - Dino Crisis: Isolation (Premise and Mechanics)
02:23:14 - Dino Crisis III - Dino Crisis: The New Nightmare (The Big Problems)
02:31:02 - Dino Crisis III - Dino Crisis: Infinite (Further Issues)
02:39:17 - Dino Crisis III - Dino Crisis: Chaos Theory (The Messy Ending)
02:49:12 - Extinction (Conclusion)

SeraphJan

Let's just hope after Capcom done remaking every Resident Evil game, they might pick up Dino Crisis, a sequel or a remake, anything.

But I also wish they could pick up Onimusha. An Onimusha Sequel with modern graphic and game design could rival Sekiro

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Let's just hope after Capcom done remaking every Resident Evil game, they might pick up Dino Crisis, a sequel or a remake, anything.

But I also wish they could pick up Onimusha. An Onimusha Sequel with modern graphic and game design could rival Sekiro
You bet. Remakes or Reboots

Are far less risky than creating a brand new IP.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Dino Crisis: The "Resident Evil with Dinosaurs" series that was so much more.

Dino Crisis is a distinct series amongst Capcom's output. In four short years, from 1999 to 2003, we got 3 mainline titles and a spinoff. Dino Crisis has been extinct ever since.

A series pulled from the foundations of Resident Evil to the point where it was known as "resident evil with dinosaurs". It would then take a different, action-heavy approach with future titles.

Each title has a vast difference from the last. Some changes worked, and some did not. A bungled third mainline title would serve as the series end.

Yet the series has lived on with a strong following hankering for Capcom to return to the series.

Straps yourselves in, this is going to be a bumpy ride as we dig up and study the Dino Crisis series.

00:00 - Prelude
00:51 - Dino Crisis
09:20 - Dino Crisis 2
17:07 - Dino Stalker
21:02 - Dino Crisis 3
31:13 - In Conclusion

Top Bottom