• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I forgot how confusing JRPGs are

haven't played a JRPG in a long, long time. probably not since Grandia 2 tbh.

decided to pick up Xenoblade DE for my Switch. game has been great, but I'm 8 hours and legit encounter a new tutorial every 30 or so minutes

I still have no idea how affinity works, our how linking skill trees between party members work. and I'm pretty sure I'm not properly grasping half the battle mechanics.

is Xenoblade denser than most JRPGs or is this just the way they are?

it's making me miss physical manuals that used to come with games, as having something handy to reference would be super helpful

kingfey

Banned
No, it's not. "The internet" is a mess compared to the dense, well organized info found in traditional manuals. Oh and did you know manuals also don't have ads?
Welcome "YouTube".
A much better information helper, than any fucking annoying shit out there.

I am not familiar with this game. But guides like this helps newbies alot.

Cornbread78

Xenoblade's aystem is pretty easy once you really get into it. The big problem with Xenoblade is the damn aweful difficulty spikes & dps check at bosses.... It is quite maddening at times

Actually, they did.
1241904185747831470.png

To be fair, the idea they had going for PlayOnline was ahead of its time, but to the point where it was detrimental. Now the idea of an online strategy guide makes total sense when you have a cellphone sitting next to you while you play, but at the time it meant getting up and going to your computer which probably wasn't even in the same room.

TexMex

To be fair, the idea they had going for PlayOnline was ahead of its time, but to the point where it was detrimental. Now the idea of an online strategy guide makes total sense when you have a cellphone sitting next to you while you play, but at the time it meant getting up and going to your computer which probably wasn't even in the same room.

To be fair this is a pretty extreme exception and not the rule. There was definitely an idea there, but don't sell me "the complete strategy guide" and then tell me to go reference the internet multiple times on every page. That's why I bought the book!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes they are. BYHESUIS has a brother that lives in Levioustys which sister Viiynessthy has a bad cae of ztheĺophs. So you better meet up with Thansisishus to take a boat called Huftposwih to go to Levioustys and find help from dolter Hectorheros. Oh all of this takes place in different times and shit

Ok.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Manuals > Internet > Youtube.

Why should I watch a 30 minutes video for an information I should find correctly referenced in 10 seconds in a manual ?
Why should I search on the internet and have to sort various sites to get some info while it could be in a manual ?

Manuals and Guides are a must for J-RPGs.

Same goes for Elden Ring. Have to bring a note or make screens of every NPC"s name and obtuse saying referencing something or someone I don't know. I mean I get it, it's oldskool. But a log would be nice; newb or not

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I miss those late 90’s/early 2000’s games where there’s FAQs on pickpocketing and party member locations.

Xenoblade Chronicles had me looking at a particular boss and who I should have in my party. My biggest gripe was playing a game of chance with each attack. Once I could apply Strength II or III to a weapon, I’d just smash those “!” marks while running around the combat zone. I was playing Chapter 12 recently and I don’t think I’ve focused on anything other than equipment and filling those skill bars.

You could finish Final Fantasy XV without having to ever manage your team. Buy like 70+ something potions and a decent weapon. Of course that doesn’t utilize whatever's considered a high quality build, it got the job done.

SantaC

Not really, I admit the game doesn't have very good tutorial but once the combat clicks its super fun, this one of the few games I go out of my way to fight just because how fun the combat is.
Thats not what I said. I said the mechanics are more complicated than XB1 which is true.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
All 3 Xenoblade games have insane combat systems that are really satisfying once you fully grasp them. XB2 especially with the stun —-> launch —-> punish thing.

Aldric

It's not jrpgs, it's Xenoblade. I love the games but it's obvious they're not accessible at all. Terrible tutorials, UI and very complex combat systems. And the first one is the easiest to get into, imagine you started with X or 2.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Thats not what I said. I said the mechanics are more complicated than XB1 which is true.
More complicated but not exactly “mess” but I don’t deny that it did pretty poor job teaching player how combat works.

I honestly learned XC2 combat from YouTube, but once it clicked it’s not hard to understand how it works.

Top Bottom