• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I found an amazing physics game engine demo from 2008 on YouTube. Will we finally achieve this on the 9th generation of video game consoles?

CamHostage

Unreal's Chaos BTW does not yet have a Material Type for Wood yet, just Glass and Concrete and Stonework (I have read a number of developers frustrated with trying to simulate wood through Chaos, so hopefully that happens as it progresses.) Houdini does have a Wood simulation model (which sets the fractures based on large, triangular, splintery-type chunks, plus has a special definition of Constraints for how the wood pieces cling bend and eventually and break apart,) and you can export that as an animation but that is what it is, I'm not sure how far you could take "realtime wood simulation" into a game environment?

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/destruction/wood.html

For the most part, Chaos and physics engines like it (there are actually several different physics tools in base Unreal alone,) are doing things like what DMM was doing. They assign physical properties of Material Type to objects, surfaces, and clusters to describe how they'd behave in physics action. You can make glass windows break, concrete buildings crumble, stone vases shatter, brick walls topple, clothing flow as a character runs, things like this are already worked out a basic degree for developers to adjust and experiment with according to the parameters of their scenes and areas. However, unless you have a game built specifically for destruction and you optimize for it, you don't just make every window breakable and every building collapsible and every clothing article breezy, because each of those items is doing something that takes calculation and adds complexity (and failure points) to your gameplay.

Top Bottom