• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I frankly don't like all the platform 'warring' around here

DragonNCM

I have been particularly bewildered by the age-old gaming concept of "wars" for some time.

Things like "Console-warring", "PC masterrace", etc.....

I've always seen them as some kind of weird gaming fad I was never in on.

I just decided to remain an amused observer to all instances of the so called "wars", ever since the point I became aware of them.

But seeing some threads today, especially @OOGABOOGA's thread and @Gamer79 's topic earlier were what set me off to write this topic.

I split my gaming between my PS5 and 1070 PC (a lower-middle range setup nowadays). I have partial access to a Wii, Switch and XOne, so I play games on them whenever I get the chance.

I've experienced a broad range of games: dabbling into Playstation's as opposed to Playground's racing (GT and Forza), across different genres, series and publishers, all the way to Nintendo's fantasy (e.g. Zelda, Mario....).

Even with my range of gaming, I am not even remotely a hyper-fan of Microsoft (Xbox, Windows), PlayStation, Nintendo or their hardware.

Why?

It's cuz Im a fan of GAMES.
If Im interested in playing a game, I play it!
On whatever I can...
Whenever I can.

I don't mentally burden myself with pointless, irrelevant stuff (like whether my plastic box performs better, or has "greater" games on it, than a different box).
If at all I use any brainpower on a game, it is to critique a game, assess it and adjudge its quality. And I NEVER use a game's platform as a basis to judge it's quality.

"Platform-blindness" is a good term to describe my point of view.
I don't see platforms, I only see games.
The plastic box (console or PC), is just a "container" to me. I only use that "container" as a means to play the games (i.e. content) I want.
What I play games on is irrelevant to me.
Simple as that.

Look guys.

We are grown, mature, knowledgable, rational people (well, most of us are).

Why would y'all be arguing about which gaming "container" is the "best", and be trying to put down ppl using different "containers" from yours?

Ridiculous is an understatement for this.

GaF's purpose is to discuss GAMES, FIRST AND FOREMOST, and then all other things gaming.
It's kind of saddening that people are derailing threads, and the Forum in general, using gaming discussion as a cover to champion and push all kinds of "warring".

I advise that you guys (GaF in general) should:

1. Focus less on the hardware you play on, and more on the games you play (as you should). I feel it allows you to be open-minded, and it eliminates a lot of unnecessary mental gymnastics.

2. Not be reductive. Even if you want to uphold your fave "container", you can always do so in a way that is not condescending to other "containers" and their folks.

I just know a lot of you will ignore this piece of advice.

This is just a fair, objective, unbiased mindset from a multi-platform gamer.

I never have and never will understand platform warring.
You are absolutely right BUT think of it like competition, same as football or basketball we all have favored team.
Yes you love gaming but "for who" you will always cheer? Ofc for your favorite team.

It's the needle of a actual good hardcore game making a impact critically and in sales.

Elden Ring is number 1 in sales, yes, but there are other games that were released in 2022 that are selling quite well.

1.) Kirby and the Forgotten Land
2.)LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
3.)Pokemon Legends: Arceus
4.)MLB: The Show 22
5.)Mario Strikers: Battle League
6.)F1 22
7.)Horizon II: Forbidden West

Those are just few of them.

bender

What time is it?
Elden Ring is number 1 in sales, yes, but there are other games that were released in 2022 that are selling quite well.

6.)F1 22

CTRL-F "Windjammers 2"
no results found
Huuuuuummmaaaaannnssssssss!

j0n7f.jpg

S0ULZB0URNE

6.)F1 22

But Elden Ring fits the needle mover more to answer your question.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah me neither.
I started as welcoming all the discourse about this vs that... but all it turns into is pcmr superiority over "ponies"... The forum is no longer PS welcome it seems.
Some people forgot what gaming is all about and just seem to focus on attacking ps fans.
At least ponies and rats play games on their "toy boxes"

yea, you hate it so much that you do it in every PC thread including this one.

Yeah me neither.
I started as welcoming all the discourse about this vs that... but all it turns into is pcmr superiority over "ponies"... The forum is no longer PS welcome it seems.
Some people forgot what gaming is all about and just seem to focus on attacking ps fans.
At least ponies and rats play games on their "toy boxes"

I'm a one pony army. I welcome the challenge

I dont bother with anything but my PS5.

I buy every Nintendo system to pretend Ill play them, but I end up just collecting them.

I dont bother with Xbox, and I dont see the point of it. But I play it when I go to my cousins house.

My whole group of friends clown anyone that doesnt have a PS5, simply because we roast about everything,

PC. Free game claim machine.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Bigoted shitheads on Off Topic side and console warriors on Gaming side get added to my ignore list. I don't have the energy to read the thoughts of manchildren.

wOs

I feel like Gamepass and the discussions around it have really accelerated these tribal divisions.
You've not been around on console releases then I suppose or GameSpot message boards back in the day. It's been tiring for years and years now.

You've not been around on console releases then I suppose or GameSpot message boards back in the day. It's been tiring for years and years now.
I meant here specifically, feeling that Gamepass has added a new level of conflict.

I'm 38 and have been frequenting boards since I was a teen. Very familiar with the whole concept. Maybe I'm looking at it with rose tinted glasses, but it felt like Gaf was better about this stuff 5 years ago. I dunno 🤷

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
In the end it doesn't matter, considering console games are coming to PC

Kev Kev

its really disheartening seeing people be such assholes to each other on here

i know i can do better, im not perfect by any means. and ive really tried in recent weeks/months. but its hard when so many people are dead set on not having a nuanced take, and instead use language like "trash" or "garbage" or what have you.

everything is a spectrum. your favorite game/platform can have flaws and you should acknowledge them. its not a black and white thing. people need to learn how to have fair takes and stop going to the extremes and fringes of their opinions, to the point that they come off like a disingenuous troll, and ultimately trigger those senseless back and forth arguments that rarely accomplish anything.

reinking

Gold Member
I feel like Gamepass and the discussions around it have really accelerated these tribal divisions.
Not really. It is just one piece of ammo. Console warring is not new and has been around as long as gaming. I remember having discussions with friends about intellivision vs Atari. Back then, it was a little less aggressive but the seeds were being planted for the Nintendo vs Sega wars to come. The only difference today is anybody can jump on a place like GAF and gain a little more notoriety than they could back then on the playground. Oh, and we couldn't hide behind laugh emojis. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

i know i can do better, im not perfect by any means. and ive really tried in recent weeks/months. but its hard when so many people are dead set on not having a nuanced take, and instead use language like "trash" or "garbage" or what have you.

everything is a spectrum. your favorite game/platform can have flaws and you should acknowledge them. its not a black and white thing. people need to learn how to have fair takes and stop going to the extremes and fringes of their opinions, to the point that they come off like a disingenuous troll, and ultimately trigger those senseless back and forth arguments that rarely accomplish anything.
THANK YOU!. gif

I really respect the fact that even you can admit mistakes and recognize your own flaws.

It's not too much to want for people to have a reasonable, friendly, open-minded conversation without dragging discussions into shitposting and the likes.

For example, I really like RDR2. Its my personal favourite game. But I can respect the fact that other ppl may find it boring. I don't ridicule them for their opinion. If I don't like aspects of their criticism, I challenge it while respecting their opinion.

Various ppl of diff backgrounds come on the internet generally. No single opinion on anything is objectively 'right'.

I have been particularly bewildered by the age-old gaming concept of "wars" for some time.

I just decided to remain an amused observer to all instances of the so called "wars", ever since the point I became aware of them.

But seeing some threads today, especially @OOGABOOGA's thread and @Gamer79 's topic earlier were what set me off to write this topic.

I split my gaming between my PS5 and 1070 PC (a lower-middle range setup nowadays). I have partial access to a Wii, Switch and XOne, so I play games on them whenever I get the chance.

I've experienced a broad range of games: dabbling into Playstation's as opposed to Playground's racing (GT and Forza), across different genres, series and publishers, all the way to Nintendo's fantasy (e.g. Zelda, Mario....).

Even with my range of gaming, I am not even remotely a hyper-fan of Microsoft (Xbox, Windows), PlayStation, Nintendo or their hardware.

Why?

On whatever I can...
Whenever I can.

I don't mentally burden myself with pointless, irrelevant stuff (like whether my plastic box performs better, or has "greater" games on it, than a different box).
If at all I use any brainpower on a game, it is to critique a game, assess it and adjudge its quality. And I NEVER use a game's platform as a basis to judge it's quality.

The plastic box (console or PC), is just a "container" to me. I only use that "container" as a means to play the games (i.e. content) I want.
Simple as that.

Look guys.

Why would y'all be arguing about which gaming "container" is the "best", and be trying to put down ppl using different "containers" from yours?

GaF's purpose is to discuss GAMES, FIRST AND FOREMOST, and then all other things gaming.
It's kind of saddening that people are derailing threads, and the Forum in general, using gaming discussion as a cover to champion and push all kinds of "warring".

1. Focus less on the hardware you play on, and more on the games you play (as you should). I feel it allows you to be open-minded, and it eliminates a lot of unnecessary mental gymnastics.

2. Not be reductive. Even if you want to uphold your fave "container", you can always do so in a way that is not condescending to other "containers" and their folks.

This post is dumb and pointless. Only in gaming is product choice and fighting for the consumers interest seen a a bad thing. You likely wouldn't make this post for any other capitalist free market competitive industry or sub-industry.

That's great you like the games, some people like games that would not exist if a platform doesn't do better or if the software didn't sell well, some people like their games to not run like shit.

The only part of the "wars" that rightfully deserves skepticism is the pointless dismissal of others opinions, and ill thought out, aggressively biased subjective discussions, but objective debates, or debates involving impact on the players or the industry, or the said games, is perfectly fine. Yet what posts like yours do is lump everything under one umbrella.

You're talking about something Gaf has before it was called Gaf. yet claims you know what Gaf is about, and are not narrowing it down to one thing, what?

Like I said, this is not a post you would make for anything else, this mindset is flawed from the start and based off a faulty premise and requires you to lack discernment and blend everything together.

There's a difference between discussing differences, what does what better, and preferences, and the cognitively distraught obsession mindset that you are now associating with nearly every exchange, and throwing it under the umbrella of wars. That's not how you should argue this position, or at least from what i can make out of your position as there really isn't much of one.

With that said, yes it's about the games, that's why we BUY the machines. There is more than one way to play, and people have opinions. it could be as simple as the controller.

Also you can't SEE games without platforms, otherwise you're just holding a box. The game is useless then.

JayK47

It feels like we lost half the GAF members from console warring bans. You can't even have a discussion without hurting someones feelings. How hard is it to ignore someone you disagree with? You can block posts by certain people, it should be on you to ignore someone, not get them banned over everything. But it is not my place to decide the rules around here. With the strict rules and daily bans, what more do you want?

Fredrik

It feels like we lost half the GAF members from console warring bans. You can't even have a discussion without hurting someones feelings. How hard is it to ignore someone you disagree with? You can block posts by certain people, it should be on you to ignore someone, not get them banned over everything. But it is not my place to decide the rules around here. With the strict rules and daily bans, what more do you want?
Lol not half but a few active ones at least. Harsh rules can no doubt be problematic, some disagreement is needed imo, otherwise there is nothing to say except ”I agree!” ”Me too!” ”Exactly!”. And I’ve had interesting discussions with ethomaz, vfxveteran, zeroing, etc so I don’t see the permanent bans as a good thing. But it’s hard to know how much work the mods had to do because of the platform wars, maybe they had lots of reports each day to go through and just decided that enough is enough.

Why?

On whatever I can...
Whenever I can.

Simple as that.

Look guys.

Mannn….console war trolls will always be console war trolls. They legit don’t care what anyone else has to say about anything. They get their nut off pissing others off. Don’t let them get to you, enjoy what you enjoy, and live life! But fantastic points overall, and I can’t agree more.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Go look at their splinter forum. It’s the saddest circle jerk I’ve ever seen. Just bitching about Sony PC ports, Xbox, and jerking each other off. Good riddance.

PhaseJump

Banned
Tribalism is embedded in American behavior, and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon

There's more here than just Americans, but the behavior of those in land of the free is unquestionably awesome when it has to be.

hurricane-america.gif

Go look at their splinter forum. It’s the saddest circle jerk I’ve ever seen. Just bitching about Sony PC ports, Xbox, and jerking each other off. Good riddance.

It's an open cesspool. Some of the clowns over there are still here, spouting opposition to their own opinions. Pretending to be sincere and not 100% pearl clutching troll garbage.

kirby007

Lol not half but a few active ones at least. Harsh rules can no doubt be problematic, some disagreement is needed imo, otherwise there is nothing to say except ”I agree!” ”Me too!” ”Exactly!”. And I’ve had interesting discussions with ethomaz, vfxveteran, zeroing, etc so I don’t see the permanent bans as a good thing. But it’s hard to know how much work the mods had to do because of the platform wars, maybe they had lots of reports each day to go through and just decided that enough is enough.
You can have proper discussions with anyone aslong as you talk about something that lies within their choice of preference for ethomaz/kerotan that means playstation but once you step outside of that scope all bets are off. In the end its their own choice support has to be taken a step too far

REDRZA MWS

Why?

On whatever I can...
Whenever I can.

Simple as that.

Look guys.

Amen brother! It’s the wierdest Shit ever. There’s simply no logic I could understand outside of financial reasons to not owning and enjoying as many games as possible. Also, in the event of it purely being financial, which is totally understandable, what is not is the childish hatred of anything else outside their platform of choice. I’m assuming (and hoping), this is teenager shit. Otherwise yeah…. Fucking weird.

PhaseJump

Banned
The only problem I see with those posters are that they don't stay in their lane while carrying their figurative torches. I bet the mods here wouldn't really give a shit about half of their trolling engagement until it started to bleed into constant derailment and conflict. Who knows how many offended "reports" get made over stupid shit posts and hurt feelings when trolls are ramped up over speculation or news posts.

Mods that give serious thought toward less permanent bans probably have this scene playing in their head:

ghostbusters-flip-switch.gif

Why?

On whatever I can...
Whenever I can.

Simple as that.

Look guys.

Not in the same words and elaborated sentences, my english is limited (not my first language), but i said that several times here...

You rock OP, that's it!

buenoblue

I'm fine with it as long as it's civil and on topic. I have a few interests such as footy(uk) and I like to debate/wind up mates about form, new signings and stuff. MMA to, I love to hate Conor lol.

I think with gaming it's fair to debate which platform is best as it's a decent financial investment to just buy all platforms. I for one don't hate Xbox, I've bought every Xbox except series x. I just feel they've not delivered the games lately and should be called out for it.

I find the more invested you become in a topic it's natural to question and analyze the meta and minutiae of said topic. Look at any forum from sport to politics, movies to books it's all people arguing why there opinions are right lol.

daninthemix

One thing I would add is that one side can bait the other into warring. I can be minding my day and going about my business, but if I see a Playstation fanboy thread that says fanboy things, I am definitely tempted to jump into the fray.

And mind you this is someone who has had many Playstation consoles over the years and enjoyed many Sony games on console (and now on PC!).

TBH I couldn't care less about system vs system. But engaging with a fanboy is just too tempting. I'm sorry.

6.)F1 22

That list just proves what a weak year this has been. Now we are having "year wars"?

It was fun in the 80s and 90s when games across platforms were very different as was the hardware they're runnng on. Now I don't see the point.
Its the modern equivalent of football hooliganism with video game lunacy injected instead. They go snooping for a brawl after some specific platform conference or announcement to get an excuse for hurling virtual punches and verbal insults at one another.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member

wrestling humiliation GIF

It's becasue we know you want it.

People just wish a game they think look great would come to their preferred platform. I’ve never understood why that is a problem.

What annoys me about it is that people don't take into consideration why some games end up on only some systems, and that ultimately the exclusivity of some games does lead to a more diverse gaming hardware market.

Top Bottom