• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I frankly don't like all the platform 'warring' around here

Kev Kev

It feels like we lost half the GAF members from console warring bans. You can't even have a discussion without hurting someones feelings. How hard is it to ignore someone you disagree with? You can block posts by certain people, it should be on you to ignore someone, not get them banned over everything. But it is not my place to decide the rules around here. With the strict rules and daily bans, what more do you want?
Not half lol. We lost a very loud, very problematic minority. GAF is better off without those few losers.

Kev Kev

One thing I would add is that one side can bait the other into warring. I can be minding my day and going about my business, but if I see a Playstation fanboy thread that says fanboy things, I am definitely tempted to jump into the fray.

And mind you this is someone who has had many Playstation consoles over the years and enjoyed many Sony games on console (and now on PC!).

TBH I couldn't care less about system vs system. But engaging with a fanboy is just too tempting. I'm sorry.
You post this with that avatar?

Pot, meet kettle

buenoblue

Not half lol. We lost a very loud, very problematic minority. GAF is better off without those few losers.

This is the problem though. We should have free speech to say what we like. As long as it's not racist or sexist. We preach free speech and progressiveness but everything has become an echo chamber and if you don't agree with the masses your hounded out. There is definitely a line don't get me wrong. But saying Xbox or playstation is shit is not it🤷‍♂️.

Kev Kev

This is the problem though. We should have free speech to say what we like. As long as it's not racist or sexist. We preach free speech and progressiveness but everything has become an echo chamber and if you don't agree with the masses your hounded out. There is definitely a line don't get me wrong. But saying Xbox or playstation is shit is not it🤷‍♂️.
There isn’t absolute free speech here.

Know the rules and follow them. If you’re unsure about a post, don’t post it. And pay attention to what people get banned for and don’t do those things.

If all of that is unappealing to you, maybe this isn’t the community for you…

Last edited:

kyussman

There is rivalry in all walks of life,why should gaming be any different......just see it for the nonsense it is and enjoy the laughs it brings.

Topher

Gold Member
Console warring is fun and I think the mods' attempts to crack down on it are retarded. Imagine going to a sports or car forum and telling people they couldn't have favorite teams or manufacturers

When did the mods say you can't have a favorite gaming platform?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Won’t ever happen. Plus why does it matter as long as it doesn’t take over every discussion. By giving people an outlet they are less likely to infiltrate other threads.

It absolutely can and *has* happened. Console Warring kills *every* thread that it enters. There shouldn’t be “containment” zones, just don’t do it. It isn’t funny, cute, nor does it add anything to a discussion.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The hilarious thing is there's different kinds of console warriorism and emotional babies.

I can understand why a broke gamer focused on one platform wants the best he can buy. He's broke, can only afford one system and he wants to make sure he didnt buy a shit system with shit games. When all of us buy things in life, none of us want to get burned buying a bottom of the barrel trainwreck.

But gaming is different. When he buys it, he's got to promote the brand trying to convince the world he's the smartest guy in gaming buying the best platform like his life existence depended on it. I dont think any of you have ever heard of or seen TV warriors where you and buddies rag on each other on who's big screen TV is the best. And those cost a lot more than a console.

BUT, it goes further than that.

A lot of manbabies also have their eco-system walled garden attitude. How a random gamer playing that same game on a different platform, half way around the world, and with a two year delayed release date somehow kills the fun or is perceived as being backstabbed by the corporation is a laugh.

If you buy a TV or stereo, it doesn't matter what brand you buy or what disc or content you play on it. It all works. The media is cross playable, and Samsung TVs work with Sony audio gear, LG works with Vizio etc.... Nobody gives a shit that their brand purchase is interchangeable. In fact, everyone wants all the gear to be open so you always have the option to buy this or that and it all still works.

Yet for gaming, you got Scrooge console battlers who get peak enjoyment at other platform losses.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The hilarious thing is there's different kinds of console warriorism and emotional babies.

I can understand why a broke gamer focused on one platform wants the best he can buy. He's broke, can only afford one system and he wants to make sure he didnt buy a shit system with shit games. When all of us buy things in life, none of us want to get burned buying a bottom of the barrel trainwreck.

But gaming is different. When he buys it, he's got to promote the brand trying to convince the world he's the smartest guy in gaming buying the best platform like his life existence depended on it. I dont think any of you have ever heard of or seen TV warriors where you and buddies rag on each other on who's big screen TV is the best. And those cost a lot more than a console.

BUT, it goes further than that.

A lot of manbabies also have their eco-system walled garden attitude. How a random gamer playing that same game on a different platform, half way around the world, and with a two year delayed release date somehow kills the fun or is perceived as being backstabbed by the corporation is a laugh.

If you buy a TV or stereo, it doesn't matter what brand you buy or what disc or content you play on it. It all works. The media is cross playable, and Samsung TVs work with Sony audio gear, LG works with Vizio etc.... Nobody gives a shit that their brand purchase is interchangeable. In fact, everyone wants all the gear to be open so you always have the option to buy this or that and it all still works.

Yet for gaming, you got Scrooge console battlers who get peak enjoyment at other platform losses.
Lol yeah it’s a little silly for sure.

As said before I’ve gone through the fanboy phase and for me it came from simply not having access to any other platform. I tried to convince both myself and other people that the other platform was shit to cope with the jealousy and to get people to buy my platform instead so the other one would fail.
”If I can’t have it then nobody should have it!!1!”.
Kinda.

Childish and dumb, absolutely.

As soon as I bought a PS2 I stopped being a Dreamcast fanboy. As soon as I bought a PC I stopped being a console fanboy. Etc.

If we take PC for example. There are rare occasions when someone with a proper gaming PC keeps on shitting on PC as a platform and exaggerating any issue they may encounter, but then I think they’re simply going through a phase where they’re considering dropping the platform. There is a reason for everything.

In short I think it’s all about jealousy and what you currently have access to and what your future intentions are for platform ownership.

If you would be fine with what you have then you wouldn’t care, everything would just be whatever, you’d just keep on living in your nice little bubble in peace.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lol yeah it’s a little silly for sure.

As said before I’ve gone through the fanboy phase and for me it came from simply not having access to any other platform. I tried to convince both myself and other people that the other platform was shit to cope with the jealousy and to get people to buy my platform instead so the other one would fail.
”If I can’t have it then nobody should have it!!1!”.
Kinda.

Childish and dumb, absolutely.

As soon as I bought a PS2 I stopped being a Dreamcast fanboy. As soon as I bought a PC I stopped being a console fanboy. Etc.

If we take PC for example. There are rare occasions when someone with a proper gaming PC keeps on shitting on PC as a platform and exaggerating any issue they may encounter, but then I think they’re simply going through a phase where they’re considering dropping the platform. There is a reason for everything.

In short I think it’s all about jealousy and what you currently have access to and what your future intentions are for platform ownership.

If you would be fine with what you have then you wouldn’t care, everything would just be whatever, you’d just keep on living in your nice little bubble in peace.
Just to show how dumb it is, every tech forum surely has some TV threads. GAF does too. People bring up TV threads and people chime in. Going by the latest trends, it seems LG OLEDs are the best TVs you can get for the features and price.

I dont see any LG OLED users ragging on everyone else claiming they wasted $1500 or $2000 on a Samsung or Vizio TV when they could had bought an LG OLED the past few years (I dont have one). And it's not like TVs are a thing you are just going to go out and buy on a whim. Once you made your decision buying it, you're living with it till you replace it 7 years later. So if there's any great opportunity to rag on someone for 7 years, it's someone who got a meh rated TV on rtings.com. But you dont see that.

But $400 game boxes are ripe for ragging.

I got back into PC gaming in Dec 2020 or Jan 2021 I think. Just low key games I can play on my laptop which isnt designed for games. Enjoyed it a lot. I got around 25 Steam/GOG games where it cost me a grand total of maybe $200. Some of these games I got for $2. I think the highest costing one was $15 tops. I know for sure the first 10 cost me about $5 each on avg. Now I realize why PC gamers love game deals as I finally experienced it myself. Some of these games I got on PC were $5 and on console stores it's going for $15. Absurd.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I dont see any LG OLED users ragging on everyone else claiming they wasted $1500 or $2000 on a Samsung or Vizio TV when they could had bought an LG OLED the past few years (I dont have one).
Lol look closer, OLED fanboys are almost as annoying as console fanboys, try go into a thread and say you think OLEDs are too dark. Defence Force assemble!! It’s getting better now though, since OLEDs are getting brighter.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
^ well gaming in general is cheaper on PC in the long run due to cheaper/free games, cheaper peripherals, free features (cloud save, online), humble bundle etc

Soodanim

^ well gaming in general is cheaper on PC in the long run due to cheaper/free games, cheaper peripherals, free features (cloud save, online), humble bundle etc
Can be cheaper*

The advantage of PC is choice. That includes the choice to spend £500 or £3000 on a rig, buy 3 monitors with it or just one, buy expensive peripherals or not, and take advantage of the open market when buying games or just grab them at full release price.

I can't even give "in general" a pass because it depends entirely on who you ask, and I don't know that most PC gamers are long term price conscious. If you chase the high end, you sacrifice money for power.

Fredrik

Even when you start upgrading?

I have all my gaming hardware costs added up since 2014, my total PC hardware cost is higher than the totals for console hardware on all consoles with midgen updates included.

But I don’t hold back on graphics cards and I haven’t tried adding up the software costs. Would be interesting to do a complete analysis.

ArtHands

I have all my gaming hardware costs added up since 2014, my total PC hardware cost is higher than the totals for console hardware on all consoles with midgen updates included.

But I don’t hold back on graphics cards and I haven’t tried adding up the software costs. Would be interesting to do a complete analysis.

In general people don’t upgrade PC every 3 months so

Fredrik

In general people don’t upgrade PC every 3 months so
No but a graphics card every 3 years is not unusual if you’re an enthusiast. Then new mb, cpu, ram, ssd every 7 years or so. Even if you dodge the xx80 and up graphics cards it all adds up over time.
Quick math shows it’ll be ~$2,500 over 7 years.

Same goes for consoles though. New Xbox an PS every 7 years, new mid gen update on at least one console, plus a Nintendo console. That’ll be roughly $2,000 over 7 years.

Griffon

No but a graphics card every 3 years is not unusual if you’re an enthusiast. Then new mb, cpu, ram, ssd every 7 years or so. Even if you dodge the xx80 and up graphics cards it all adds up over time.

Same goes for consoles though. New Xbox an PS every 7 years, new mid gen update on at least one console, plus a Nintendo console. That’ll be roughly $2,000 over 7 years.
Not really anymore.

Most people still can run everything with 7y old CPUs, and as long as you don't do 4k, a GTX 1080 will run recent games like Elden Ring just fine at 60fps.
Apart from a few rare outliers, games aren't really pushing the hardware anymore. You don't have to upgrade often at all.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Not really anymore.

Most people still can run everything with 7y old CPUs, and as long as you don't do 4k, a GTX 1080 will run recent games like Elden Ring just fine at 60fps.
Apart from a few rare outliers, games aren't really pushing the hardware anymore. You don't have to upgrade often at all.
I know you can run everything on an old rig but you can play Ragnarök on your old PS4 too.
That’s not really what I’m talking about, I’m talking about the cost for enthusiasts. For this group the costs are higher, for overhyped dumb ray-tracing reasons or not. Goes for consoles too.

7 years ago I had a 980Ti, great card but not something I would want today. I skipped the 20xx serie though, proud about that, and went with a slightly cheaper 3070Ti instead of the $1,800 3080Ti scammers tried to sell me.

ArtHands

When you put it that way, the small gap of $500 really shows how easily you can save with pc gaming in longer term

Fredrik

When you put it that way, the small gap of $500 really shows how easily you can save with pc gaming in longer term
It’s the whole spectrum really, you can save money and you can waste money, all depending on your actions.

For me it felt like I saved money by skipping the 20xx serie, and in hindsight I wasted money buying the 980Ti since I already had a 780Ti.

The plan is to skip the 40xx serie. But who knows, I’ve been there before getting hyped by some new tech and suddenly find myself standing there with an open wallet grinning like a fool. 😳

You’re right though, what nobody talk about is the online cost. I remember adding up a whole generation of XBLG during the 360 gen when people mocked the price for PS3, the 360 was actually more expensive long term since online was free on PS3.

Mithos

Having full detail on my console purchases/and what I payed since the day of the NES, my console hardware cost up until TODAY don't even come close to all my PC hardware cost.

Hell my current PC-build by itself is 59% of my total console + hardware accessories cost. Then I have had 7 other desktop PC's and a few of them with upgrades + 2 PC laptops.

Edit:
Corrected the PC desktop + Laptop count.

Last edited:

Freeman76

You cant say shit about any of them, sony, xbox, pc, couch gaming, without some mug accusing you of 'warring' its pathetic.

I own a ps5, series x, pc and a switch, yet have been modded/warned over console warring for saying im unhappy with a decision Sony made.

This place isnt much better than era for this, even the mods are OTT about it. Not much of a gaming forum when you cant be vocal about shit decisions a company make because apparently you are 'warring'.

Jokes

Topher

Gold Member
You cant say shit about any of them, sony, xbox, pc, couch gaming, without some mug accusing you of 'warring' its pathetic.

I own a ps5, series x, pc and a switch, yet have been modded/warned over console warring for saying im unhappy with a decision Sony made.

This place isnt much better than era for this, even the mods are OTT about it. Not much of a gaming forum when you cant be vocal about shit decisions a company make because apparently you are 'warring'.

Jokes

I see people complain about Sony all the time on these forums. Same for Nintendo, Microsoft, etc. There is thread going on right now where people are complaining about the game library system on PS5. I see no bans. I don't know what you've said in the past, but typically mods react accordingly around here, imo.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I wish there was a legit reason to have a good old fashioned console war but those days are long gone it seems.

It's just larping at this point and console warriors should either be praised and championed (if they're actually funny) or outright ignored if it's just juvenile nonsense.

Unfortunately it's usually the latter.

Besides, everyone knows that XBOX ain't got no games.
crazy tom cruise GIF

gothmog

Gold Member
Gamers then never existed. People have been arguing about their choices in gaming since at least the 80s. I remember a kid laughing at me because I had the Sears version of the Atari 2600 instead of the Atari one and that was literally the same platform.

Basically children will be children and this hobby is unfortunately filled with man children.

I don't mind it when it's clearly done in jest, but unfortunately there will always be "warriors" who want to die on their favorite platform's hill.

Drizzlehell

Banned
If it makes you feel any better, most users around here at least try to form some coherent arguments on the subject. Some of the other message boards that I've been to simply resort to trash-tier shit posting and trolling, with attempts at jokes that are about as funny as cancer diagnosis and make you wish that the people who make them would catch a venereal disease, although it would have to be from sitting in a public toilet because none of them ever had sex in their life.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

“Hahahaha I feel so sorry for all of you GAYstation owning losers
NINTENDO 64 is HERE and is KICKING EVERY OTHER CONSOLE IN THE ASS!!!!
And if you don't believe me, you're either a retard or a N*****
THE PLAYSTATION NATION IS NO MORE!!!! NINTENDO WINS AGAIN!!!!”

Mifflin Devin - December 7, 1997

Duchess

Atari 2600 vs Colecovision
Spectrum vs C64
NES and Master System
Amiga vs Atari
SNES vs Megadrive
PlayStation vs N64 vs Saturn
Dreamcast vs Sega
PS2 vs Xbox vs GameCube