• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I got it! (maybe?)

GeekyDad

Dietary related

What if we're all right?

Was just watching Maangchi's latest video. She says something at the beginning of the video about our need to eat healthy, but that it also has to be delicious. This triggered a thought in my head. What if our proclivity for over-eating/eating unhealthy foods (things that satisfy our taste buds) is something we're not necessarily meant to overcome (at least at this time)? We're trying to eat healthier but also enjoy it in the process. What if we combine the two?

I started making this bread (I think I might've also posted this pic in the "cooking" thread as well) a few weeks ago, and I think I've perfected it in terms of flavor, texture and healthiness.

OtOZ13E.jpg

I try to only eat a couple of slices a day, but when I did the math, even if I took down an entire half loaf each day, I would still only be eating the equivalent of a healthy breakfast. A half of a loaf would be 3/4 cup of (organic) rolled oats (soaked in hot water), one egg, a quarter cup of greek (2%) yogurt) one and half ripe bananas, one dried apricot, one dried date, about a tsp of raisins and a 1/4 cup of (Bob's Mill) chickpea flour. That's a whole half loaf of this bread (roughly eight slices of what you see pictured). And I'm farking addicted to it! I love the flavor.

And that's just a food item that happens to agree with my tastes and bodily demands. I'm guessing there has to be all sorts of recipes that would cater to the endless tastes around the world, etc.

Perhaps that's our natural destination: continue to "overeat" or satisfy our taste buds, but doing it with foods that pass through us in a healthy way, making us processors for nature. -- compost makers of a sort. Maybe we're going to ultimately find ways to create foods that literally have only positives effects on our bodies that match our current state as a species (more sitting, less activity, mental excertion, etc.).

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Either I'm misreading your intent with that gif, or you're misunderstanding the OP. The idea, is that we continue to eat things that are appealing to us (not that gross shit), yet they're made up of ingredients (and a whole) that are healthy for us.

Either I'm misreading your intent with that gif, or you're misunderstanding the OP. The idea, is that we continue to eat things that are appealing to us (not that gross shit), yet they're made up of ingredients (and a whole) that are healthy for us.
I'm just drinking my first coffee and shitposting a bit. Trying to process the OP I guess (in my mind).

I think our ability to taste great food is just a product of our evolution in our old habitat. It's to clue us in on calorie dense sugars mostly for survival, or breast milk. In the wild we probably wouldn't even really have the option of over-eating that stuff. And most of the evolved senses we have are really only taking into account life from birth to procreation with a mate when we pass on our genes. How long we survive after that is not that relevant, which is when all the downsides of tasty foods creep up on you in middle and old age, long after you would have been eliminated in terms of evolutionary relevance.

It's just a byproduct of our evolution that has to be overcome and managed like all the other impulses. I don't think we're necessarily supposed to eat great tasting food, but it's definitely nice. Probably has some mental health benefits I guess.

Anyway, I guess I agree that's the goal. You want to eat low calorie food that tastes good and is filling. Glad your bread is hitting the spot.

Last edited:

GymWolf

This reminds of when i tried to make white eggs pizza or cabbage spaghetti that shoudk have tasted exactly like the original...

Aaaah, youth.

GeekyDad

This reminds of when i tried to make white eggs pizza or cabbage spaghetti that shoudk have tasted exactly like the original...

Aaaah, youth.
Man, I say don't give up trying. I found various healthy curries, desserts, salads, dips -- all sorts of things my taste buds interpret as treats. When I still need a savory treat at the end of the day, I found some carrots or cauliflower with organic garlic hummus can be pretty damned satisfying.

GymWolf

Man, I say don't give up trying. I found various healthy curries, desserts, salads, dips -- all sorts of things my taste buds interpret as treats. When I still need a savory treat at the end of the day, I found some carrots or cauliflower with organic garlic hummus can be pretty damned satisfying.

I really didn't tried to cook that shit, i knew it was nowhere near the real thing without even trying :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I really didn't tried to cook that shit, i knew it was nowhere near the real thing without even trying :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Nah, I just mean the idea of messing around with things in the kitchen to find meals you can really enjoy and they're still healthy for you.

GymWolf

Nah, I just mean the idea of messing around with things in the kitchen to find meals you can really enjoy and they're still healthy for you.
Unfortunately i'm a shit cook and i hate cooking :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Most of the times i just eat the same 20-30 simple things.

Fbh

Looks good and based on the ingredientes it should taste nice as well. But oats kinda destroy my stomach for some reason. Which sucks because they used to be my go to healthy breakfast.

Top Bottom