• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate idiots who don't know how to use their mic

what's with the douchebags that have their mic on constantly while having background noise on, like their TV or music

it's like the gaming version of playing music out of your phone speaker in public instead of using headphones

I try to minimize all background noise when gaming and I still make sure to mute my mic while not talking

this shit is the worst when you're playing a game that doesn't allow you to mute a specific person's mic

if you do this you're a bad person

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is why you enter a game and it appears to have no one with mics, they do but they're in a private chat with people they're playing with and don't have to listen to things like that.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

what's with the douchebags that have their mic on constantly while having background noise on, like their TV or music

it's like the gaming version of playing music out of your phone speaker in public instead of using headphones

I try to minimize all background noise when gaming and I still make sure to mute my mic while not talking

this shit is the worst when you're playing a game that doesn't allow you to mute a specific person's mic

You've got to admit it can be funny at times. One time I was playing Madden and the guy was getting taken to task by his gf/wife for forgetting to grab something at the store. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mostly it just annoys me because there is a noticeable delay in the game audio you hear from their TV vs the game feed in your headphones.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Because they don’t realize the PS5 controller has a mic that’s on by default.

The first moment I loaded in Tribes of Midgard (was a PS+ game) this became apparent. Some people didn't even know the DualSense had a mic! They were like "wait you guys can hear me?". lol

Anyways yea, people mouth breathing into the mic or letting everyone hear their family drama and shit in the background is annoying.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The first moment I loaded in Tribes of Midgard (was a PS+ game) this became apparent. Some people didn't even know the DualSense had a mic! They were like "wait you guys can hear me?". lol

Anyways yea, people mouth breathing into the mic or letting everyone hear their family drama and shit in the background is annoying.

No, I don’t want to hear you singing along with your shit rap music.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
That's what you get for playing online multi-player games. THE WRITING HAS BEEN ON THE WALL SINCE HALO 2

Edit: if anyone disagrees, I fucked your mom last night and let's meet outside of the circle k after it closes and I'll show you what's up little man.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
People still use mics In online play? I gave them up years ago because I got tired of squeaky asshole kids ruining everything. I mostly play fighting games and you don't have to talk to your opponent to play those.

Reactions: Isa
You've got to admit it can be funny at times. One time I was playing Madden and the guy was getting taken to task by his gf/wife for forgetting to grab something at the store. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mostly it just annoys me because there is a noticeable delay in the game audio you hear from their TV vs the game feed in your headphones.
Struck up a good friendship with someone on Xbox 360 during the Gears Of War days and over heard his wife come home from work and grilling him about the apartment not being clean.
He didn't even realize his mic was still on but I also said nothing and never mentioned it to him. Can be embarrassing to know someone else heard your wife/girlfriend cussing at you for not doing your chores 😂

But yeah I for damn sure I put everything on mute when playing, especially when it comes to Call Of Duty. Recently I re-enabled it during a quick match and my god my ears bled listening to the constant trash talking. Some were even yelling while cussing over the mic.
Then I proceeded to uninstall the game 😂

Last edited:
  • LOL

DaGwaphics

People still use mics In online play? I gave them up years ago because I got tired of squeaky asshole kids ruining everything. I mostly play fighting games and you don't have to talk to your opponent to play those.

I have a mic but always forget to use it. Madden might still be 50/50 on Xbox, I still see quite a few players with them.

I love Division 2 and its all I play. I'm mostly paired up with Australians and New Zealanders and they're chill people. I've never encountered the kinds of trash talking you'll find in Call of Duty for example.
So i'm always using my mic playing Division 2 and always find myself chatting about just anything with the guys. Like having a decent normal conversation about life. There's never cussing, shouting or anything like that.

I'd say it depends on the type of game or game mode that you're playing.

DaGwaphics

Struck up a good friendship with someone on Xbox 360 during the Gears Of War days and over heard his wife come home from work and grilling him about the apartment not being clean.
He didn't even realize his mic was still on but I also said nothing and never mentioned it to him. Can be embarrassing to know someone else heard your wife/girlfriend cussing at you for not doing your chores 😂

But yeah I for damn sure I put everything on mute when playing, especially when it comes to Call Of Duty. Recently I re-enabled it during a quick match and my god my ears bled listening to the constant trash talking. Some were even yelling while cussing over the mic.
Then I proceeded to uninstall the game 😂

True. I'd never call anyone out on it if we both had mikes on, I'd just let it go. I'm sure people have heard some embarrassing background noise on mine too at some point. I never did the online shooters because of how aggressive the banter can be especially when you've got a group all yelling over each other, that's like a complete 180 from my personality. Haha. Madden and some of the more party focused games are a lot more chill, even when they do great or you do poor it's generally a more agreeable thing.

Bluecondor

I love Division 2 and its all I play. I'm mostly paired up with Australians and New Zealanders and they're chill people. I've never encountered the kinds of trash talking you'll find in Call of Duty for example.
So i'm always using my mic playing Division 2 and always find myself chatting about just anything with the guys. Like having a decent normal conversation about life. There's never cussing, shouting or anything like that.

I'd say it depends on the type of game or game mode that you're playing.

I agree. The Division and The Division II were the only multiplayer games I have ever played. I found a group of guys who really meshed well as a team, and our conversations were always enjoyable.

That said, I can remember (sadly) when my cat was dying of nasal cancer and her loud breathing/snoring would in the background of my mic. The guys on my squad would (jokingly) ask "Do you have a cow in your living room?" :messenger_frowning_

I agree. The Division and The Division II were the only multiplayer games I have ever played. I found a group of guys who really meshed well as a team, and our conversations were always enjoyable.

That said, I can remember (sadly) when my cat was dying of nasal cancer and her loud breathing/snoring would in the background of my mic. The guys on my squad would (jokingly) ask "Do you have a cow in your living room?" :messenger_frowning_
So sorry to hear about your cat. I love cats. Had 5 of them at one stage lol.

Before my PS4 died I struck up really good friendship on Division 2 with some guys from Australia and NZ. Now that I'm on PC, that profile doesn't carry over so I have build up new online buddies and even joined up with an Aussie clan. But yeah I love the division community. Just cool people to hang out after a hard day's work or when I have spare time over the weekend. My mic must always be on for the banter :)

I still hate the fact that Div 2 profiles don't carry over to different platforms. So far I've started 3 different profiles on PS4, Xbox Series S and PC lol

Last edited:
This. It happens to me every once in awhile.

Hell somehow my mic got turned on last night while I was playing that shitty COD and everybody had to listen to Heilung for a moment until I realized.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This is the worst. People with music on or kids yelling in the background. There should be an auto mute feature if a mic is on for a certain amount of time straight.

ManaByte

Gold Member
everybody had to listen to Heilung
Flex GIF by Pokémon

NinjaMouse

Gold Member
Normally I'd agree, but this isn't limited to PS5 in any way. It's a plague across almost all online gaming since Xbox Live launched. It's the primary driver for me muting all player chat and sticking with either Discord or private party chats for games.

Bluecondor

So sorry to hear about your cat. I love cats. Had 5 of them at one stage lol.

Before my PS4 died I struck up really good friendship on Division 2 with some guys from Australia and NZ. Now that I'm on PC, that profile doesn't carry over so I have build up new online buddies and even joined up with an Aussie clan. But yeah I love the division community. Just cool people to hang out after a hard day's work or when I have spare time over the weekend. My mic must always be on for the banter :)

I still hate the fact that Div 2 profiles don't carry over to different platforms. So far I've started 3 different profiles on PS4, Xbox Series S and PC lol
Aw thanks. That was back in 2017 when we were still playing Division I. Running with a squad in the original Dark Zone was always a great night.

Ya, I know what you mean. I never used a mic before in a game before that, but the banter was so enjoyable that I even bought a better quality headset.

I'm hoping that Division: Heartland (hopefully by the spring of 2023) might bring back some of this magic.

Aw thanks. That was back in 2017 when we were still playing Division I. Running with a squad in the original Dark Zone was always a great night.

Ya, I know what you mean. I never used a mic before in a game before that, but the banter was so enjoyable that I even bought a better quality headset.

I'm hoping that Division: Heartland (hopefully by the spring of 2023) might bring back some of this magic.
Funny enough that's what I did as well. I ditched my old PS4 wireless headset for SteelSeries Arcits 7 for the main reason that If one day I'd get a gaming PC, it would work with that too. Still very happy with my purchase.

Not sure about Heartland. Its seems to me like Ubisoft is just trying to take advantage of the battle royale craze with the Div franchise. I'm at the point now where I just want more enemies or factions, more maps and lots of new gear/weapons.

The new Expertise system is good but they need to give players freedom to chose what bonuses they can attack to gear or weapons if they reach proficiency levels. Makes no sense I get extra 1% armor on skill gear when I want my skills to hit harder. But there is promise here. Hopefully they can improve the system.

If you're on Division 2 on PC, send me an invite, I wouldn't mind to farm gear with you. My username: ICPEE1

teezzy

Banned

Try gaming with Xaero Gravity Xaero Gravity

It's between hearing my own voice and his game audio it's almost more of an echo chamber than Era 🤭

TexMex

Every time I get trapped with someone who has let the battery in their smoke detector stay dead for god knows how long I want to go outside and run my face into the pavement. How do these people just sit, content, listening to that??

jaysius

Banned
Always go into options and disable or mute voice volum.

Open voice channel in games in 2022 is asking for pain.

Last edited:

Bluecondor

Funny enough that's what I did as well. I ditched my old PS4 wireless headset for SteelSeries Arcits 7 for the main reason that If one day I'd get a gaming PC, it would work with that too. Still very happy with my purchase.

Not sure about Heartland. Its seems to me like Ubisoft is just trying to take advantage of the battle royale craze with the Div franchise. I'm at the point now where I just want more enemies or factions, more maps and lots of new gear/weapons.

The new Expertise system is good but they need to give players freedom to chose what bonuses they can attack to gear or weapons if they reach proficiency levels. Makes no sense I get extra 1% armor on skill gear when I want my skills to hit harder. But there is promise here. Hopefully they can improve the system.

If you're on Division 2 on PC, send me an invite, I wouldn't mind to farm gear with you. My username: ICPEE1
Aw man, I only played on PS4, and haven't played since the Warlords NY dlc. That would be fun to join a squad of guys again. I miss playing and the banter back and forth.

I am on the waiting list for a Steamdeck (supposedly I will get one in Q3 between July-September). When I get the Steamdeck, I might give Division 2 on PC a run. That said, I would have to start Division II from 0, so you would have to wait awhile before I had a reasonably-leveled character to run with. It is something to look forward to though.

RhyDin

Don't play online or mute. Simple as
The problem is that people want to be able to play online and communicate for team advantage.

This used to be a great reason to switch over to PC, because a lot of people on PC use push-to-talk. Unfortunately, many games on PC are now cross-play (granted, you can disable it) or are simply console ports of games without PTT implementation (Evil Dead).

All of this could be avoided also if people just set up their noise gate. The reason it is rude is because almost all games show your microphone icon when you are speaking, so it's not like they don't know they are getting background noise or mouth breathing.

I was guilty of this years ago in a Left 4 Dead lobby and didn't realise my mic wasn't muted and I had music on.

Some guy sent me a voice message of him just screaming into his mic for about 30 seconds and I realised what I'd done and was like "ok, fair play".

Bartski

Gold Member
I don't always play MP but when I do....

Anyone who doesn't understand audio feedback instantly gets the boot.
Don't get me started with people who overdrive the living shit out of the signal, or listen their own music in the background and when you ask them to sort it out are all like "bangin choon what's wrong m8?"

Well working, clean input audio is like working car blinkers - they're not for you but for everyone else you meet on the road. Somehow this is far from obvious for most randoms you meet.

Not everyone is privileged to live in a quiet environment but at least do the bare minimum, have the mic leveled right so the input gate doesn't work against you, and use goddamn headphones.
I'd love to have my PS5 detecting it and a setting never to match with people you are on tv speakers with pad mic.

Justin9mm

I'm actually a little sad that the PS5 has taken the option away to hear mic talk through your audio speakers/TV. I used to love listening to the trash talk. I don;t use a headset and mic so it only comes through the controller speaker, volume is so low you can't hear what people are saying anyway,

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Completely agree, been playing rocket league recently and this seems to be happening a lot

Sybrix

I know what you mean, was playing Hell Let Loose a few days ago, a game where having good clear communication is key.

One of the Squad Leaders sounded like he had his whole family watching him, could hear them all, also a loud TV in the background, this guy must have been playing in the family living room and they all seemed fine with the noise of the TV, their general chatting and their son or whoever screaming down the mic warning about German tank locations lol, it was madness.

I dont understand how some people are oblivious to how they must sound to others.

Filben

And then they have the shittiest mics like back in the early 00's and you don't even understand a word they're saying.

Allandor

Play games that are push to talk. Also play games that don't have idiots.
So, you are saying "don't play multiplayer-games" ;)

I'm one of those "idiots" that always play without a mic even in multiplayer games. Yes I know it is not optimal in some multiplayer-games but I really don't like to talk to other people I don't know and most of the time you have a kid in the chat that is swearing all the time. So if a game has a voice-chat activated, I quickly mute it. The good thing is, I don't play multiplayer games that often, so you should be save from my "communication incompetence" ;)

Last edited:
Back on the 360 I used to play SF4 online with a group of guys. One time though one of the guys starts yelling “hey get off the couch!” Like he was yelling at a dog.

I’m like “ha ha was that your dog?”
“Nah that was my girlfriend, I don’t like her sitting on the couch when I play.” It was pretty weird and made me think the guy was kind of abusive or something.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I still don't understand how it gets to this stage, every mic the Xbox has come with has been directional since the 360 days, means you essentially need to max out your TV volume or have the mic pointed at the TV to pick anything up.

So did they break there old headset and buy literally the cheapest shit available to replace it with? Why is it so common for this exact chain of events to happen since there's always one or two every lobby?

buenoblue

On ps3 when I first got the PS3 camera I was chatting to 3 friends on cam and my girlfriend walked past in her bra and panties looking for some clothes.

Top Bottom