• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate the pixel art trend

Like literally every modern arena shooter and most roguelike I look up has these archaic pixel art graphics. I literally can't find any modern arena FPS shooter games other than modern doom, shadow warrior 3 and splitgate which aren't pixelated. It wouldn't hurt to make a boomer shooter with at least PS2 level graphics akin to Quake 3. I get that it's done to cut costs and time but there are plenty of indie games with at least decent graphics like Ghostrunner or Rogue Legacy 2 so that's no excuse. It's just laziness which sells because of 90s kids who are nostalgic over their blocky childhood games. We live in 2023 not 1996 dammit. We need to be moving forward not being stuck in the past. If I wanted blocky 90s graphics I would play SNES and N64 games.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I haven't bought Octopath Traveler II because of the pixel-cack graphics.
Go Away GIF

R6Rider

Gold Member
I don't mind it on smaller screens, but playing pixel graphic games on a TV (55 inch in my case) it looks terrible.

Want to get the Switch version of the FF collection for that reason.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

DryvBy

Can you post an example picture? I don't understand what you are talking about.
People using the Duke engine from 96. That's a current trend. I'm fine with a few but we should have some really good looking games that take advantage of tech. Shooters used to be tech games for me.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Like literally every modern arena shooter and most roguelike I look up has these archaic pixel art graphics. I literally can't find any modern arena FPS shooter games other than modern doom, shadow warrior 3 and splitgate which aren't pixelated. It wouldn't hurt to make a boomer shooter with at least PS2 level graphics akin to Quake 3. I get that it's done to cut costs and time but there are plenty of indie games with great graphics like Ghostrunner or Rogue Legacy 2 so that's no excuse. It's just laziness which sells because of 90s kids who are nostalgic over their blocky childhood games. We live in 2023 not 1996 dammit. We need to be moving forward not being stuck in the past. If I wanted blocky 90s graphics I would play SNES and N64 games.

I mean if you want to miss out of some of the greatest titles released this decade because you want all games to supply the graphic level of multi hundred million pound projects with over 200 staff members, that's fine.

For everyone else though you can play...

And enjoy it because of the crisp responsive controls, massive amounts of content and excellent music and art design...

Oh but it's pixalated because a small team made it on a indiegogo budget of 90,000 euros sorry...

Last edited:
I mean if you want to miss out of some of the greatest titles released this decade because you want all games to supply the graphic level of multi hundred million pound projects with over 200 staff members, that's fine.

For everyone else though you can play...

And enjoy it because of the crisp responsive controls, massive amounts of content and excellent music and art design...

Oh but it's pixalated because a small team made it on a indiegogo budget of 90,000 euros sorry...

What about indie games like Rogue Legacy 2 or Hades then? Which are indie games but have decent graphics. Heck the indie games which put some effort into the visuals department usually look even better than most AAA games if you ask me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I haven't bought Octopath Traveler II because of the pixel-cack graphics.
Same. It's a top down game, it's not that hard for them to implement modern graphics.
Thats your loss because Octopath 2 is one the best games I played this year and honestly I find its visuals absolutely gorgeous!

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
What about indie games like Rogue Legacy 2 or Hades then? Which are indie games but have decent graphics. Heck the indie games which put some effort into the visuals department usually look even better than most AAA games if you ask me.

Hades have not announced their budget, but considering the studio is based in San Francisco one of the most expensive cities to be in and this is hardly their first rodeo I suspect its going to be substantially more than 100,000 - 200,000 dollariedoo's, millions most likely. There in a city you operate out of if you can afford to pay the highest prices for the best talent.

Rouge Legacy 2 was developed on a shoe string though... I assume they sold their soul to Satan and practice blood magic to get a game that good looking for the price they did... its definitly an exception.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I love Rogue Legacy 2 but the graphics are lower effort than half the pixel stuff out there. Looks like a nice mobile game. If I hadn't played it because of that, though, I'd be missing out.

GHG

Gold Member
I don't mind it on smaller screens, but playing pixel graphic games on a TV (55 inch in my case) it looks terrible.

Want to get the Switch version of the FF collection for that reason.

Yep, this is me 100% as well.

If a game has pixel art graphics it 100% means I'm playing it on the steam deck.

Hades have not announced their budget, but considering the studio is based in San Francisco one of the most expensive cities to be in and this is hardly their first rodeo I suspect its going to be substantially more than 100,000 - 200,000 dollariedoo's, millions most likely.

Rouge Legacy 2 was developed on a shoe string though... I assume they sold their soul to Satan to get a game that good looking for the price they did...
Rogue Legacy 2, Ghostrunner, Aragami, Splitgate(made as a college project), etc

I love Rogue Legacy 2 but the graphics are lower effort than half the pixel stuff out there. Looks like a nice mobile game. If I hadn't played it because of that, though, I'd be missing out.
Low effort but the graphics still look amazing.

yurinka

Like literally every modern arena shooter and most roguelike I look up has these archaic pixel art graphics. I literally can't find any modern arena FPS shooter games other than modern doom, shadow warrior 3 and splitgate which aren't pixelated. It wouldn't hurt to make a boomer shooter with at least PS2 level graphics akin to Quake 3. I get that it's done to cut costs and time but there are plenty of indie games with great graphics like Ghostrunner or Rogue Legacy 2 so that's no excuse. It's just laziness which sells because of 90s kids who are nostalgic over their blocky childhood games. We live in 2023 not 1996 dammit. We need to be moving forward not being stuck in the past. If I wanted blocky 90s graphics I would play SNES and N64 games.
don't worry, it only means you have bad taste :messenger_beaming:

Philistines ITT.
Philistines: a person who is guided by materialism and is usually disdainful of intellectual or artistic values

Wanting graphics to devolve several generations for no reason is intellectual now??? And video games are not materialistic products consumed primarily for simple entertainment as well?

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I wish we were still getting a few Pokemon games with pixel sprites and 3D environments. DS-era Pokemon was the best.
X&Y looked really cute, so full 3D is fine, but I want my pixel Pokemon too :lollipop_pensive:

Pokemon with Octopath Traveler's visuals. I want that. I want it bad.

dulleyes

Banned
Lmao to hell with this thread.

Reading OP's comments and replies just showcase how much of an entitled picky prick they are.

Pixel art? Ew.

Realistic graphics? Also ew.

Go make your own game OP, if you're that picky and somehow can't find a game that suits your taste when thousands of games with a large variety of art styles exist on literally everything ranging from consoles, PC, to even mobile games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This just isn't true. Pixel graphics are more difficult, expensive and time-consuming than the mobile-style indie graphics games.

But they also look significantly better, imo.
there's a reason why mobile games use 2.5d or tweening for 2d games, its less time consuming than elaborate well animated pixel art. at most you'll get 8 bit monochrome pixel art or simple pixel art with few colors.

Hand done anything is not very easy or cheap.

lukilladog

Id be interested in pixel art games that support 4:3 aspect ratios and 240p, to play on my crt's. If I am gonna go melancholic, I'd prefer the full experience.

Top Bottom