• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate the pixel art trend

What? No I think chrono triggers art style has aged gracefully. But you don't need to put down 6th gen games to push pixel art up.

I am saying that games from the early 2000s have also aged gracefully in terms of artstyle and visuals.

I see. I have a soft spot for PS1, N64, and DC visuals, too. There's plenty of great-looking titles in that generation!

Of the 3D games you brought up in your post, I liked the graphical styles of MGS2 and JSRF the most. I'd also raise RE1make on GC as one that was phenomenal back then, and still looks great today.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really love good pixel art, it's just that most modern (indie) releases do not have good pixel art. Which I get, because good pixel art requires skill, dedication, time, a good understanding of the techniques used in the past and how they got the best representation of their artistic vision within the limitations of old hardware.

As for a recent example: it's still not out yet, but judging by the trailer, I feel Shinobi non Grata reaches perfection. The color palette, backgrounds/setpieces, bosses and animation give me the impression they 'get it'.

See, I don't like how this game looks and I can't quite put my finger on why.

ZoukGalaxy

Yeah, so much power to waste it in... pixel squares.

Tired Band GIF by Meister HQ

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Rogue Legacy 2 looked lightyears better than 1.
Arguably, but had not been a sequel, could pass a mobile game. That's the main reason most devs don't use hd 2d art: because it's the main art used by despised generic mobile games.

Pixel art fits consoles and PC gaming more.

Sensates

The recent System Shock remake is one of the few I liked.

Many others are recycled materials that having not played it I already got bored.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Meh. I'd agree if we were still stuck in the era of indie games insisting on 8-bit artwork that genuinely did look way too same-y from game to game, but we're way past that. Stuff produced now has a lot more personality. I love that we can get this kind of stuff and that developers are finding new ways to iterate on the art style.

I love em and I love diversity in games! It takes me back to better times, I love the nes parts in Mario Odyssey and same for a game I can't wait to try The Plucky squire.

Drizzlehell

Banned
After watching last night's PC gaming show, I would agree that OP has a point in a way.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the style itself and it can be used to great effect in certain games. But I think it's a fair argument to say that indie devs lean far too heavily on it for the nostalgia factor and it's a bit too much. I don't want every other thing that comes out of the indie dev scene to be just another pixel game because certain games would work far better with polygonal graphics. Especially 3D shooters. There's honestly no excuse not to make a game that features polygonal visuals because the tools and assets available these days make it just as easy as making a pixel game.

I would be really interested in seeing more indie FPS games that try to go for the early 2000s PC shooter aesthetic instead of preying on older gamers' nostalgia by imitating Doom and Quake. It was a quaint and endearing idea when Dusk showed up and it was followed by a couple of other copycats but right now it's slowly turning into an annoying fad and it needs to stop. There are still some occasional standout games like Prodeus or Selaco but why do these games insist on using 2D sprites despite boasting pretty impressive special effects is beyond me.

Like, for example, I recently replayed some older shooters on GoG, including Star Trek: Elite Force 2 from 2003, and that game still looks pretty great:
51XZV1BF0ZL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Everything animates smoothly, the movement and controls and super tight, and the 3D graphics and texturing still looks pretty good if you ask me. Throw in some dynamic shadows and you have yourself an impressive looking game made on a small indie budget. None of that 2,5D pixel art jerkiness and jank. Why don't these indie devs try to go for something like this for a change? At this point it should be just as easy as making any other boomer shooter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom