• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate this trend of jrpgs being dumb easy

I sure do. I don't play it for another take on the classic tale of five or six 10 year-olds and one "elderly" 30 year-old saving the entire planet.
If this was the common sentiment, I don't think Chrono Trigger would be so widely praised.
(Chrono Trigger was the first RPG I ever beat. I did it with no strategy guides, and was able to beat several bosses even though I was blatantly ignoring the intended strategies to win, especially Magus - who I never realized the strat for until years later much like the Sonic 3 Barrel - and final form Lavos. And I was like 9 years old. There's literally no RPG from that era I could have beaten the sometimes-stubbornly-wrong way I played Chrono Trigger.)

Anyway, my take on this thread: be careful what you ask for. You gotta remember that in the old days, RPG were made hard not just with potentially party-wiping enemy encounters, but with ridiculous puzzle design that sometimes violates common sense (How many times have I had to walk through a seemingly-solid wall into a black abyss of nothingness for a cutscene unlock?), quest lines that become obfuscated by poorly-translated NPC conversations, and the occasional "dumb instant game over trap that has no place in this genre." like the ones the retro Final Fantasy games rather enjoyed.

Furball

So just like Persona 3, it's another case of a game having multiple versions, but not one that's 100% better than the rest? Shit sucks man.

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll play the vanilla version since it's the one I already have, and don't care too much about the 2D mode.

It is nowhere like Persona 3 situation . You wont even noitice the different in graphic unless you active try to look for it . The optional content that add to DE is huge not minor , you get more boss and optional end game content , you got more costume and better costume system , you has better and faster pace battle with many QoL . Can check out this

https://www.neoseeker.com/dragon-quest-xi/Version_Differences

Original graphic
DQ11S-Comparison-4-Original.jpg

DQ11S-Comparison-5-Original.jpg

DE graphic
DQ11S-Comparison-4-Definitive.jpg

DQ11S-Comparison-5-Definitive.jpg

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It is nowhere like Persona 3 situation . You wont even noitice the different in graphic unless you active try to look for it . The optional content that add to DE is huge not minor , you get more boss and optional end game content , you got more costume and better costume system , you has better and faster pace battle with many QoL . Can check out this

https://www.neoseeker.com/dragon-quest-xi/Version_Differences

Original graphic
DQ11S-Comparison-4-Original.jpg

DQ11S-Comparison-5-Original.jpg

DE graphic
DQ11S-Comparison-4-Definitive.jpg

DQ11S-Comparison-5-Definitive.jpg
Yeah the downgrade is there, for whatever reason. But after checking a list of differences I think there's far enough stuff to justify playing the DE over vanilla, so I guess I'll have to double dip. Thanks for the pics btw!

Rran

Gotta say, the DQXI comments have me scratching my head. My first playthrough of that game was only with Stronger Monsters on, and I thought it was a solid challenge for sure. Honestly harder than a lot of my favorite RPGs (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, EarthBound, etc). OP, you may be some sort of expert on turn-based RPGs. How far are you exactly? I recall the Slayer of the Sands (the first "real" boss battle in the game, about a dozen hours in) being a pretty big roadblock.

If that's too easy, you could always throw all of 'em on, although you do need to start over. But Stronger Monsters amid things like Shypox and No Equips (except weapons) can be absolutely brutal.

That said, I do agree that the base game is too easy with no Draconian Quests. Most of the original releases of mainline DQ games had some serious fangs.

royox

Xenoblades can be pretty hard or at least challenging during boss battles.
Squeenix 2D games are also good challenges (Octopath and triangle).

Bravely Default was very challenging during the last episodes (run away from that shit they called BD2).

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gotta say, the DQXI comments have me scratching my head. My first playthrough of that game was only with Stronger Monsters on, and I thought it was a solid challenge for sure. Honestly harder than a lot of my favorite RPGs (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, EarthBound, etc). OP, you may be some sort of expert on turn-based RPGs. How far are you exactly? I recall the Slayer of the Sands (the first "real" boss battle in the game, about a dozen hours in) being a pretty big roadblock.

If that's too easy, you could always throw all of 'em on, although you do need to start over. But Stronger Monsters amid things like Shypox and No Equips (except weapons) can be absolutely brutal.

That said, I do agree that the base game is too easy with no Draconian Quests. Most of the original releases of mainline DQ games had some serious fangs.
I redit it with stronger monsters on, less money from fights, and if main character dies its a squad wipe, and its def a good challenge now, hopefully it stays that way, but im finally enjoying it

jorgejjvr

If this was the common sentiment, I don't think Chrono Trigger would be so widely praised.
(Chrono Trigger was the first RPG I ever beat. I did it with no strategy guides, and was able to beat several bosses even though I was blatantly ignoring the intended strategies to win, especially Magus - who I never realized the strat for until years later much like the Sonic 3 Barrel - and final form Lavos. And I was like 9 years old. There's literally no RPG from that era I could have beaten the sometimes-stubbornly-wrong way I played Chrono Trigger.)

Anyway, my take on this thread: be careful what you ask for. You gotta remember that in the old days, RPG were made hard not just with potentially party-wiping enemy encounters, but with ridiculous puzzle design that sometimes violates common sense (How many times have I had to walk through a seemingly-solid wall into a black abyss of nothingness for a cutscene unlock?), quest lines that become obfuscated by poorly-translated NPC conversations, and the occasional "dumb instant game over trap that has no place in this genre." like the ones the retro Final Fantasy games rather enjoyed.
No one is asking for "hard" per say, just balanced, or not dumbed down. No one wants hard, at least I dont, just dont want a cake walk either

Plus, we covered games here that do it well. Like xeno 1, xeno 2, xeno X, xeno 2 torna dlc, Bravely default, bravely second, bravely default 2, octopath traveler, fire emblem three houses, and it sounds like I need to try Shin megami tensei 5 and triangle strategy

Top Bottom