• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have a vacation coming up! Should I buy "Elden Ring"?

Dunkelgrau

"Dark Souls I" is the best game of all time (I won't write what I think of "Bloodborne" here because you would kill me).

I had a very hard time at work and in a few days vacation and my birthday - and actually I don't feel like playing "Elden Ring" at the moment.

Should I rather get "The Last of us II"? (I found the first part rather mediocre, but have a desire for the story.) Or the remake of "Final Fantasy VII? (I wouldn't be able to bear something as long, tough and Japanese as "Dragon Quest XII" at the moment, though).

Will I experience something similar with "Elden Ring" as I did with "Dark Souls"? Is it really this one 96% game? Does it make sense to get it if you'd rather have something with more story at the moment?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If you enjoyed Dark Souls 3 and want more of that. . .Elden Ring is good game to have and will likely keep you "casually busy" than the other two games. Just don't go expecting anything revolutionary.

. . .as for TLOU2. No. That game is rough all over (narratively) and is not something I would want to play during a vacation when I'm trying to be in good spirits. FF7R is fun, but - for me at least - it felt pointless to play knowing it's been cut up into small pieces.

So, despite finding ER pretty overrated as an open world game, it is a good Souls game and gets my vote.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
If you don't feel like you want to play ER then probably don't do that. I would grab something more story based. ER has lore but you have to dig and put them together, it's not like TLOU or anything like that with how it is told.

Edit: I want to add that I've put in nearly 200 hours into it and it's great but it doesn't seem to be the kind of game you're looking for right now.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
dumb and dumber GIF

Fredrik

I have barely played any other game since Elden Ring was released, insta-paused Horizon Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7, would do it again, 150 hours played so far. I’d say that means it’s worth trying even if you’re sceptical.
But also don’t expect to play through it during your vacation.

Shifty1897

Elden Ring: Haven't played it yet but if you love Souls games you'll probably enjoy it. You won't beat it in a single vacation week though.

TLOU2: Heck no if you're only looking for story, you play TLOU2 for the gameplay, because the story is exhausting and unfulfilling. Took me 26 hours to beat, I think.

FFVIIR: I love this game, it's not perfect but it's a prime example of JRPG comfort food if you've played the original. Probably 40 hours to beat if you do all the side quests you find.

Last edited:

Aion002

Maybe get TLU2, is shorter.

If you end up being hooked on Elden Ring, you will end up always thinking about it through your whole vacation and might not even be able to finish it on time.

Nonetheless, ER is amazing and you should definitely try it when you get in the mood.

Will never buy another FromSoft game again after the DS prepare to die edition. Probably the worst PC port I have ever played. I would probably stay away from Elden Ring if you are on PC.

MiguelItUp

If you like/love Souls games, you owe it to yourself to check out sometime. However, if you're not in the mood to player a certain type of game, maybe don't force yourself? Lol. Not really the best approach.

REDRZA MWS

Will never buy another FromSoft game again after the DS prepare to die edition. Probably the worst PC port I have ever played. I would probably stay away from Elden Ring if you are on PC.
Womp womp. I doubled dipped ps5 and steam. ER flows beautifully on my 2080ti.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
"Dark Souls I" is the best game of all time (I won't write what I think of "Bloodborne" here because you would kill me).

I had a very hard time at work and in a few days vacation and my birthday - and actually I don't feel like playing "Elden Ring" at the moment.

Should I rather get "The Last of us II"? (I found the first part rather mediocre, but have a desire for the story.) Or the remake of "Final Fantasy VII? (I wouldn't be able to bear something as long, tough and Japanese as "Dragon Quest XII" at the moment, though).

Will I experience something similar with "Elden Ring" as I did with "Dark Souls"? Is it really this one 96% game? Does it make sense to get it if you'd rather have something with more story at the moment?

Get Elden Ring and Gravity rush..

For this doggy

200.gif

REDRZA MWS

Elden Ring is the goat. It’s been ages since a game grabbed my attention, like this. I’m at the 200hr mark and still wanting to do more.
Concur completely. A game hasn’t “grabbed” me in a long time. I spent countless hours in the ER world, still haven’t finished it and still want more lol.

Boneless

I like FFVIIR remake, but face it, a lot of what made FFVII great was raped.

Elden Ring is SO awesome, and will go into gaming history as one of the greats.I wish I could to back and experience it for the first time again.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Honestly, a few days won't be enough to play through this game unless you purposefully rush it (and i'd recommend against that in this game) or spend the entire day playing it.

Should I rather get "The Last of us II"? (I found the first part rather mediocre, but have a desire for the story.)
If you didn't like the first, high chances you won't like the second.

Or the remake of "Final Fantasy VII? (I wouldn't be able to bear something as long, tough and Japanese as "Dragon Quest XII" at the moment, though).
FFVIIR is very much that type of japanese.

Does it make sense to get it if you'd rather have something with more story at the moment?
ER is mostly gameplay driven, much like dark souls. It has cool dialogue (which you won't understand a single word even if your fluent in english) and some memorable characters but i wouldn't reccommend it for the story.

EDIT: So you already bought it huh. Well, my biggest reccomendation is to take your time exploring the game and its mechanics, and not to rush it. Also, the quest design is still quite terrible as per tradition in souls games, made worse by the huge open world. So don't be ashamed to look up guides for completing some side-quests.

Last edited:
Top Bottom