• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have taken my Windows 10 Install through 4 motherboards and a platform switch (Intel to AMD) and it's still stable as fuck...HOW did they do this?

When I was a young tike in the 90's, I remember the days of getting a major PC upgrade. You'd always have to install Windows from scratch. New Mobo? Install Windows from scratch? New CPU? Install Windows from scratch? Windows acting funny? Install Windows from scratch.

So I got Windows 10 the day it came out. Installed it fresh on my Intel I5 2500k. I already forgot which motherboard I had but it was a Gigabyte.
The motherboard/CPU fried about 3 years ago. I built that PC before I realized the importance of good power supplies. So RIP, Press F, etc. I fucked up.

Next build, I decided to do an I5-7600k with some ASUS mobo, forgot which one, and onboard Intel video because I wasn't PC Gaming and just using this PC for MS Office/Internet Browsing. I decided to say, "let's see how far Windows has come" so I plugged in my SSD, set it as boot, Windows 10 did its thing and no issues. Sweet! For the first time in my life I didn't have to reinstall windows after getting a new Mobo/CPU.

Fast forward to Summer of 2019. I decided I'm going to build myself a nice high end gaming rig for the first time in my life. Decided to switch to AMD. Got the following setup:
Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi X570
Ryzen 3700x
EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra
32gb Corsair DDR 3200
EDIT: During this build I first got a ASUS X570-Prime, didn't like it and returned it. That's the missing "4th" motherboard from the story.

So I sat there this past Summer with my old 128gb OS Disk thinking...should I do it? Should I mock the gods of PC stability and plug in this drive with an OS that ran on two different Intel motherboards, and now going AMD? Should I do it?
Well folks, I did it. And it has been stable as fuck for the last 5 months. No issues, no weirdness, Windows is running stable AF. I'm doing 4k video editing, Ultrawide PC gaming like crazy, and no issues with Windows 10. I even moved this damn OS to a Samsung NVMe, no issues still.

HOW THE FUCK DID THEY DO THIS?! PC Master Race has is so good these days...

Last edited:

kingbean

Microsoft did a great job --for the most part-- with windows 10.

I was using the same install of windows 10 across 2 mobos and 3 CPUs for a while. I recently reinstalled to an NVMe drive and it's much faster.
Nice pc btw.

One thing that pisses me off about Windows 10 though is the updates. Just give me a simple option to turn it OFF forever not this stupid temporary pause option.

d85738438bd7e3d6d8888ebbbbf4fb53.jpg

Last edited:
Microsoft did a great job --for the most part-- with windows 10.

I was using the same install of windows 10 across 2 mobos and 3 CPUs for a while. I recently reinstalled to an NVMe drive and it's much faster.
Nice pc btw.

Dude, this same install, I cloned it and threw it on my NVMe.
I turned on Ultra Fast Boot on my mobo.
Posting is the longest part of the boot. I don't even get the spinning circle/windows logo after powering up from a full Shut Down. It just totally skips it! WTF?!?!

kingbean

Dude, this same install, I cloned it and threw it on my NVMe.
I turned on Ultra Fast Boot on my mobo.
Posting is the longest part of the boot. I don't even get the spinning circle/windows logo after powering up from a full Shut Down. It just totally skips it! WTF?!?!

Yeah, windows on an NVMe drive is amazing. By the time I put in my pin all my start up programs have already started and are minimized to the task bar.

I chose to reinstall because I had a lot of data across my 3 drives and I just wanted to clean it all up.

Last edited:

God Enel

I’m still in windows 7. Had win10 and didn’t like it at all. Went back to win 7. With my next rig I’m switching to Linux.

Kenpachii

Actually got my streaming pc a new motherboard and cpu the other day and just left the install on it works perfectly fine.

Was like, well no need to reinstall i guess. Still works wonderful to this day. Windows is stable as hell these days.

Ovek

7Member7
Windows 10 is more resilient to driver issues (like windows trying to load the wrong chipset drivers) that in previous versions would stop Windows from loading or blue screening completely.

The fact that it manages to catch this and correct it silently still amazes me.

Top Bottom