• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Haven't Played Zelda Since "Link to the Past" But Want To Try BOTW

I'm trying to get to the third shrine and I don't know how to get to it and the climbing is so annoying. I keep falling. Urgh.

Oh I figured it out and I think I figured out climbing a bit more.

Edit: completed the third shrine and I'm on to the fourth one.

Last edited:
I think one thing that shocked me was that I put the game into the switch for the first time and there was no patch to download.

WTF? It's current year and there's a game that doesn't require an immediate patch? It was already at the latest update when I put the game in.

A game that's fully functional out of the box. Who would have thought in this day and age?

WoJ

I have kind of fallen on and off BOTW for several years. Not because I dislike it, in fact the opposite. I find my time with that game to be magical.

And full disclosure....I have not liked Zelda since A Link To the Past. My edgelord "gsmez have 2 b dark 2 be kewl" self gave me unrealistic expectations about narrative in gaming. As I've gotten older I've really started to enjoy games like BOTW more.

Anyways, the reason I've fallen off BOTW is because I wanted to focus on knocking out shorter games in my backlog and have avoided longer games because of it.

But I need to get back to BOTW. There is just a sense of magic and wonder playing that game few modern games replicate.

It’s probably the most overrated game of all time.

I found OoT and even twilight princess much better. The whole open world style didn’t do anything for me. I would recommended those over BOTW.
So far I think the game is good but not great so I can definitely see where you're coming at there.

Of course, I'm still only about a couple hours in so I'm either going to like it more or like it less as I go on.

Kataploom

Gold Member
So, I'm on my second day playing it and have played about a couple hours and it's pretty good.

I wouldn't compare it to Skyrim or other Elder Scrolls games, I agree. This is a lot more lonely and empty whereas Elder Scrolls are open world but feel more alive. I'm not saying that is a good or bad thing. I understand Breath of the Wild is sort of post-apocalyptic fantasy sort of so it makes sense for the world to be more empty.

I think if anything it feels a little bit more like Assassin's Creed with all the climbing you do.

I have to go to the social security offices before the weekend and this is going to be a great game to bring with me to kill the hours I'm probably going to wait there. In fact one thing I like is that you can save anywhere and the saving is really quick.
Good to know you're enjoying yourself, thanks to this thread and to be playing Skyward Sword HD last week I wanted to do some exploration to see what I find, perfect game for when I just want to do nothing or get lost in whatever comes to my mind, peacefully

Okay, I'm frustrated.

I have one more shrine to go to to get the last orb and it's up in some snowy mountains and I have no idea where to get a coat or whatever you need to survive the cold.

I love that this game does not hold your hand but it's also very vague too and there needs to be a happy medium I think.

I looked up how to get the coat and you have to get fish and some boar's meat ingredients.

Okay, so I know where to find the boars but they run away really fast from you so you got to be quick I guess. As for the fish, I can't find them and it says they're in the pond so I'm assuming it's the pond in the forest since it's the only named pond on the map right now. But there's no fish there.

Oh yeah some fucking rock monster I woke up in the forest too and it pummeled me.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Okay, I'm frustrated.

I have one more shrine to go to to get the last orb and it's up in some snowy mountains and I have no idea where to get a coat or whatever you need to survive the cold.

I love that this game does not hold your hand but it's also very vague too and there needs to be a happy medium I think.

I looked up how to get the coat and you have to get fish and some boar's meat ingredients.

Okay, so I know where to find the boars but they run away really fast from you so you got to be quick I guess. As for the fish, I can't find them and it says they're in the pond so I'm assuming it's the pond in the forest since it's the only named pond on the map right now. But there's no fish there.

Oh yeah some fucking rock monster I woke up in the forest too and it pummeled me.
I have more left to discover but that one made me give up lol, I think it has to be gotten from a quest maybe? Just don't know where it is

I have more left to discover but that one made me give up lol, I think it has to be gotten from a quest maybe? Just don't know where it is
Yeah I put the game down and haven't touched it in a few days. I'm just stumped on what to do. I traveled around that first land that you start off with so I don't know what I'm missing.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Okay, I'm frustrated.

You can eat hot stuff to keep warm and also anything with a fire will help keep you warm.

dcx4610

I think you'll like it. Link to the Past is one of my top games of all time but I'd consider myself a casual Zelda player after that. Some I liked, some I didn't bother with.

I thought I'd be the same with BotW. I had played both EverQuest and WoW for years and thought this BotW would be a kiddy version of Skyrim or one of those games. I ended up putting a good 60+ hours into it and loved it. I don't think it's a perfect game though. The weapon breaking is just not a fun mechanic and the puzzle temples while fun, feel like filler and some are pretty obtuse. It makes you want real temples like the other Zelda games. The few temples that are in the game are pretty challenging though.

The world is huge and fun to explore and the last half of the game where you are powered up is a lot of fun. I'd say if you liked Link to the Past, you'll really like BotW. Also, you owe it to yourself if you haven't played it to get the Link's Awakening remake which is even closer to Link to the Past.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I bought the Switch at launch for this game. 1000% worth it.

Care to hear about my criticism? Others here will do a better job at it.

But man I loved every 250+ hours of it.

DragonNCM

BOTW is truly amassing chill out fighting/puzzles & exploration experience.
Only thing that sucks is DAMN WEAPON DEGRADATION.....:messenger_loudly_crying:

BOTW is a great game and especially great open world game regardless of whether you played other Zelda games or not. I’ve played my share of open worlds and BOTW has the huge advantage of letting you climb anywhere and glide from any elevated space.
Personally the last Zelda I played before BOTW was Ocarina of Time on the 3DS. So playing BOTW for the first time this year was a huge leap for me not just in terms of Zelda games but games in general.

Top Bottom