• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Haven't Played Zelda Since "Link to the Past" But Want To Try BOTW

daveonezero

Banned
Play it on mastermode. Take your time. Cook explore and get stronger.

Use weak weapons first. Get some good gear and use it to take down some stronger enemies and push you exploration.

Eventually you will love it.

Romulus

23-30fps in 2022 is a tradegy, especially if you're playing a great game. I played on PC and the difference was insane. Is there a way to overcloak the switch now and actually get locked 60?

Last edited:
For me, that's not clearly not the same zelda as it used to be, so you can be surprised in bad or good way. In my case, that's the best game ever made since... OOT....

ZoukGalaxy

BOTW is extremely different from ALTTP structure, why not start with Link's Awakening remake first ?
200.gif

Last edited:

ShadowLag

So as some of you know I'm going for a hard time right now.

Anyways, I'm looking for a fun game that has exploration. I heard Breath of the Wild it's one of the best open world games.

I haven't played a Zelda game since the old SNES days so I would be jumping into unless after that. I've always liked the series anyways. I have fond memories of the original game.

How would you compare BOTW to games like Skyrim or other open world games?

Aside from the beginning tutorial quest, nothing in the game is mandatory. If you're a super MLG god-gamer and know exactly what to do, you can go straight to Ganon at the beginning of the game and win, with nothing. But that's really damn hard.

The game is truly open. Link can grab onto and climb sheer walls in any direction. He's basically spider-man with magical glue hands, only limited by his stamina meter (upgradable) and the current weather. Almost nothing in the game can actually stop you from your chosen path, even a straight line through mountains and cliffs - just grab hold of them and scale them.

It's a "hard" game at first, because there's no hand-holding or Ubisoft objectives or markers. Just pick a direction and go. You can place your own markers in the world if you desire. Combat is much more like a survival game. Weapons have durability and will break, but you can hold tons of them, and grab nearly anything as a weapon, including enemy weapons. Not to mention the physics system, which includes the elements and the weather; objects and enemies have real-world properties. For instance, wooden weapons/shields/objects *will* catch on fire, and then deal fire damage. Fire ignites grass, which spreads, which further sets other objects on fire. Wind spreads everything, electricity charges up metal and nukes bodies of water, etc. etc. - Link will catch cold and lose health in freezing environments, unless you carry or get near some source of heat. The armor you put on helps resist various elements like cold/heat.

There are some surprisingly massive and populated cities in the game, with fully scripted and routine-based NPCs that react to you, the weather, the time of day, and so on.

There's a ton of fun and interesting stuff to find around every corner, and the game lets you discover (or miss) all of it, completely on your own without help.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
My advice: play The Wind Waker instead. That game is much more focused, doesn't waste your time and has actually good game play
- mind blown -

Wind Waker is a colossal time waster. I wanted to get into the remake but it's hard to invest that many hours in basically nothing... just waiting through the long intro story points to get to explore, and then exploration on the sea is extremely slow (which is okay since it's intended, but... so very empty) and you barely feel like you have anything interesting to investigate for long stretches of the game.

BOTW is the antithesis of that. Every moment was engaging, I was constantly pursing weird things I saw in the distance or trying new things, without even a moment feeling dull or by-the-numbers.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Allow yourself to enjoy the exploring in Zelda games, Breath of the wild kinda changed the temple thing (Shrines) its really about managing inventory, exploring outdoors and owning Ganon with the divine beasts.

Kataploom

Gold Member
So you're about to go through the therapeutic and breath relieving (heh) that is BOTW... Go for it, whenever you get bored just leave it there and come back later, I do that from time to time whenever I want to see if I can find another shrine, it's just too relaxing to get back to that world, right now I'm wanting to do so after finishing SSHD, the first time I left it at around 120 hours or so just to take a break from it to play something else, it's a game that doesn't make you feel "obligated" to keep going even if it's long, it's a game that respects they player in many ways and just traversing is mind relieving if you ask me, it's probably one of the best games you can play based on how you're feeling right now

lachesis

Normally don't like the sandbox games much - but BOTW really appealed to me, and spent 100+ hours exploring it, and enjoyed every second of it.
Traversal of going A to B itself was a joy. Whether walking, gliding, riding something or whatnot. Being able to get to pretty much anywhere you can see, and chances are, there's something there waiting for you too. The biggest obstacle for me, was basically trying to not to get distracted by something interesting on the way! :)

daveonezero

Banned
Normally don't like the sandbox games much - but BOTW really appealed to me, and spent 100+ hours exploring it, and enjoyed every second of it.
Traversal of going A to B itself was a joy. Whether walking, gliding, riding something or whatnot. Being able to get to pretty much anywhere you can see, and chances are, there's something there waiting for you too. The biggest obstacle for me, was basically trying to not to get distracted by something interesting on the way! :)
I loved the “stories” and experiences I had early on. One in particular I was Getting lost. Getting low on hearts. A storm started and night fell and I ran into a Lynel who rained death down with lightning. I was saved by a wild horse I tamed who took me to safety.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I loved the “stories” and experiences I had early on. One in particular I was Getting lost. Getting low on hearts. A storm started and night fell and I ran into a Lyons’s who rained death down with lightning. I was saved by a wild horse I tamed who took me to safety.
I have so many of these stories too, which is a great sign of emergent gameplay. Not "the game's script led me into this specific challenge" but more "this series of events happened by a combination of all the game systems and my sandbox freedom."

I remember the bravest trip I ever made into the highest cold mountains when it was way too early in the game to survive well and I didn't even have warm enough gear. I finally ran out of food to keep warm and ended up needing to keep something on fire near me at all times just to stay alive (great heat systems in the game make this work correctly), so I was burning weapons & torches, weapons from enemies, etc and doing all kinds of tricks to keep that little bit of warmth going for long enough to make it into a shrine deep in the mountain.

Yeah also think it's rather overrated. The world is super plain and empty, with kilometres of what reminds me of empty unity 3d terrain where the only thing you'll find are a couple scattered korok seeds, hated the weapons constantly breaking, got tired super quick of the puzzle dungeons and overall while it wasn't a terrible experience, it failed to live up to my expectations. Story was slightly more interesting and mysterious than the usual Zelda stuff, but yeah...

Then again i've never really been a Nintendo fan. Grew out of the bulk of their franchises after the SNES era, and the only two nintendo I slighly care about to this day is the occasional Zelda and Metroid, even though I feel metroid would have been so much better as a more mature sci-fi game imho ... But yeah, feel they are just churning sequel after sequel about 8 bit mascot games when the rest of the industry is giving us much more interesting experiences overall.

Last edited:

demonstr8

I have tried to play BotW multiple times but I think you’ll only really enjoy it if you don’t have much experience with sandbox open world games in general or really enjoy physics based puzzles in games as IMO the game is made boring by it’s lack of dungeons, bland open world with Ubisoft towers, braindead AI and stupid breakable weapons. OoT is much much better just play that somehow.

BOTW's world blows Skyrim away

The only game that is comparable is Elden Ring in terms of that sense of discovery/wonder.

Just don't go into BOTW thinking you're getting an amazing traditional Zelda game, because while the exploration is incredible and makes the entire game, the dungeons and bosses are a big disappointment.
You're not very well versed in this are you?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
BOTW is one of my favorite open worlds. For context, some of my other favorites: San Andreas, Just Cause 2, Morrowind and SOTC.

The traversal is fantastic and the landscapes are varied. Every extra addition to your stamina bar opens up so many possibilities. I skipped all of the Divine Beasts until the end and a lot of those unlockable powers would have cheated the sense of accomplishment I got from getting to every nook and cranny on the map. I can understand why a Zelda traditionalist wouldn't love BOTW, but it's really the only 3D Zelda that I've ever loved. A Link To The Past is on my GOAT list.

jaysius

Banned
One thing that pissed me off majorly, is that this game DESTROYED the meaning of chests in the language of Zelda design, they were worthless because everything you found could break, so the thrill of “what in this“ was zero for me.

Fuck Nintendo for doing that.

Now I'm curious what the most linear Zelda game is?

Seeing all the replies you're definitely makes me want to purchase the game but I have to be very careful with my funds after my father's passing.

Still I plan to hopefully treat myself to a Hannukah/Christmas gift by getting it.

My last Zelda was the wii one. After that I gave up Zelda 😂. What an awful game.

Recently I start playing the switch one , and is pretty good!

kainslayer

Neo Member
If you have a descent pc play Zelda on cemu emulator,switch is too weak,modders have done wonders....can't wait for the upcoming Zelda to play it on my PC with a dualsence😎😅

buenoblue

Just my opinion obviously but I really didn't like BOTW. It felt aimless and empty to me and the graphics were terrible on my big tv. If you do play it come back and tell us your opinions on the game. Will be interesting to see if you enjoy it without the release hype and buzz.

If you haven't played the Witcher 3 you should play that with the new update. The GOAT.

daveonezero

Banned
One thing that pissed me off majorly, is that this game DESTROYED the meaning of chests in the language of Zelda design, they were worthless because everything you found could break, so the thrill of “what in this“ was zero for me.

Fuck Nintendo for doing that.
Or I looked at these items as treasures. And did not use them till I absolutely needed them. Lookin at it that way by the end you are using some cool weapons the whole time. But if you really wanted to get a boost to damage you ate some food and swapped to a rare bow that you found.

I also really liked playing Master Mode as you run into the + items early on via the floating platforms. It helped the itemization in my mind.

sainraja

BOTW isn't like Skyrim, Its way more fun to explore then a Bethesda title imo.

BOTW encourages you to experiment with the gameplay mechanics that are often physics based, and other clever and logical puzzles/mechanics.

Its a open world adventure like none other, It nails the sense of wonder and mystery of a strange land.

Do yourself a favor and play BOTW, Its incredible.

img_hint_2.jpg
^^ This.

skeebs

I've played and finished and enjoyed most games in the Zelda series. I couldn't get past what I found to be the super frustrating weapons system (where weapons constantly break). I found the hoopla about it being the first Zelda game with VO overblown since very little of the game has VO (most of it is subtitled). And I found the game aimless, though I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of open-world games (God of War was the perfect amount of open world for me). So, needless to say, I wasn't a fan. And I've found some others who agree on these points. But I'm definitely in the minority. It is a gorgeous game, though.
I agree with your take.

It’s beautiful and ambitious. But I find it incredibly tedious.

Trilobit

The old formula gives me allergic reactions. The narrative structure of BotW is the way forward, absolutely amazing and brave choice by Nintendo. OP will have a blast with this game going in with the right expectations and enjoying the ride.

Last edited:

Crayon

This is the best game yet made, and it's practically skeletal compared to the potential it has. With 6 years to stuff more good stuff into the framework of botw, the sequel is going to be way ahead of everyone else's open worlds.

I hear elden ring matched it but I haven't tried yet. I thought death stranding approached it in it's weird way. Capturing the feeling of quietly hiking alone.

Yeah play the game. There's so much missing (why can't I throw the things I hold from my inventory??), but there's also so much there.

jaysius

Banned
Or I looked at these items as treasures. And did not use them till I absolutely needed them. Lookin at it that way by the end you are using some cool weapons the whole time. But if you really wanted to get a boost to damage you ate some food and swapped to a rare bow that you found.

I also really liked playing Master Mode as you run into the + items early on via the floating platforms. It helped the itemization in my mind.
Yea, you didn’t understand my comment at all.

The old formula gives me allergic reactions. The narrative structure of BotW is the way forward, absolutely amazing and brave choice by Nintendo. OP will have a blast with this game going in with the right expectations and enjoying the ride.
That's great because I just ordered it from Walmart for pickup and it was on sale for $39.99. I couldn't pass up that deal.

This is an almost 36-year-old IP and I grew up on the original on the NES. This will be my first time I play a Zelda game since Link to the Past.

It's been a month since my dad passed away so I'm hoping this game occupies my head and lets me focus on something else for now. I was really looking for something where I can explore an entire world and have real time combat as opposed to turn based jrpgs.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Play it on mastermode. Take your time. Cook explore and get stronger.

Use weak weapons first. Get some good gear and use it to take down some stronger enemies and push you exploration.

Eventually you will love it.
mastermode doesn't unlock until you beat the game.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yea, you didn’t understand my comment at all.
I think I do- and I’d say treasure chests used to contain bombs, arrows, rupees, etc…all consumables in the old games too. It was usually just the big chests that had key items or something that wouldn’t be gone after some uses.

BotW likewise has both, though all the key abilities you need throughout are unlocked in the first 30 mins.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I really enjoyed this game and take it from someone who is a bit crap at sticking to one game. Just take it an objective at a time. I really enjoyed this game as it lets you take it the way you want. Once you are out of the tutorial to get the glider.

You can go take on the final boss or you can get your powers. It’s a lovely game and it really clicked with me. Yes weapon degradation is annoying but it has a reason. It encourages you to explore for Better gear.

Davesky

Go with the recommendations to play OoT first. I played through it in 2012 and still holds as one of the best gaming experiences of my entire life. Don’t miss out.

Last edited:

Philfrag

Banned
Its definitely a memorable experience. Firstly you're going to be incredibly impressed by the world. Its massive, looks amazing and is really fun to traverse. Then you're going to realise after a few hours that most of it is empty or has the same enemies at every turn. BOTW was incredibly disappointing for me. Simply because its not even trying to be anything like old Zelda games or more contemporary open world games. Its going for something completely different. Some people love it for that reason, i really didn't. I wanted that amazing overworld with the traversal mechanics and a more traditional Zelda game layered underneath. If not that , then at least a more conventional open world game with frequent dungeons. It kind of felt like a demo or a blueprint of a game, not one that was complete in anyway. People like to shit on Skyrim for being as wide as an ocean with the depth of a puddle. Well breath of the wild is going to make you think just how thin a body of water needs to be to qualify that definition.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I guess the performance is going to be really shit for me because I only have a Switch Lite. But I'm looking forward to eventually getting it once I get my finances together.
Look, there are some dips here and there but mostly 30 all the time, except for one specific zone near end game with no enemies that runs like shit, other than that game performance is really good all across, I don't get performance complaints and I play on PC and I'm sensible to that, game is very slow paced so maybe that has to do... Also, portable performance seems to be even better

Tams

Gold Member
You don't have to be Zelda fan to get into BOTW. Just jump in.

The only real issue with it is the world can feel a bit dead at times. Not because of the characters, they are great. It's just the NPCs are rather sparse.

damidu

i haven’t played much of the series either.
botw is pretty welcoming for a new comer.
its open world is pretty fresh at first too.
had good to great first 20 hrs or so.

then you get to a point where the world srarts to feel pretty empty, and copy-pasted.
if you are used to 60fps by now the performance and resolution will not help much either.

id say give it a go

Last edited:
So, I'm on my second day playing it and have played about a couple hours and it's pretty good.

I wouldn't compare it to Skyrim or other Elder Scrolls games, I agree. This is a lot more lonely and empty whereas Elder Scrolls are open world but feel more alive. I'm not saying that is a good or bad thing. I understand Breath of the Wild is sort of post-apocalyptic fantasy sort of so it makes sense for the world to be more empty.

I think if anything it feels a little bit more like Assassin's Creed with all the climbing you do.

I have to go to the social security offices before the weekend and this is going to be a great game to bring with me to kill the hours I'm probably going to wait there. In fact one thing I like is that you can save anywhere and the saving is really quick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom