• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just bought a refurbished new 3ds xl on ebay.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I missed out on a good chunk of the 3ds’s titles. I had one when the system launched in 2011 and sold it a few months later. Turns out that was a mistake because it seems like i missed out on one hell of a library. Anyway i just bought a refurbished new black 3ds xl on ebay (i hope its not broken) for 250 bucks. They are pretty pricey now since nintendo stopped making them.

as for games i grabbed
Luigis mansion dark moon
Animal crossing new leaf
Mario 3d land
Mario and luigi super star saga
Kirby planet robobot
Ocarina of time 3d
Majoras mask 3d
Metroid samus returns

yeah this was all expensive af, i ended up paying like 500 bucks for everything, but i think it will be worth it. What other 3ds games should i be on the look out for. I hear link between worlds is great, so ill grab that at some point too. Is the virtual console still up and running? Id love to grab metroid fusion and zero mission

Umbasaborne

Banned
Don't sleep on A Link between Worlds. A lot of great RPGs for 3DS too. Also, if you're savvy, you can even jailbreak it to install homebrew. Then you can just save ROMs on the SD card, rather than swapping the carts out all the time.
Yeah im interested in trying bravely default and bravely second. Thats good to know about the home brew thing, i bought all physical games so i might try that

Kid icarus Uprising. Felt like a console game. Such a satisfying ending. Link Between World, such a great adventure. I also had a lot of fun with starfox. Great 3D.

TFXkiCa.jpg
pDmxFLg.jpg
Js31Uab.jpg

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

Nice, I love my 3DS XL and still play it often.

A Link Between Worlds is a must-have for the handheld, don’t miss out on it!

The virtual console is still up and running. It will still take credit card payments for now, but I heard that was ending early next year and then you can only use Nintendo cards to add to your balance. Someone might want to confirm that though as I’m not 100% sure.

Metroid Fusion was only on the 3DS as part of the Ambassador program in 2011 for people who bought the 3DS at full price before it went on sale. Zero Mission is also sadly not on the 3DS Virtual console. You will need the Wii U virtual console for those games.

You can get Metroid 1 and Metroid 2 there on the VC to go along with the excellent Samus Returns remake that you got. If you got the “new” 3DS XL, Super Metroid is also available on the VC. You can also play Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Prime Pinball through backwards compatibility if you wanted to pick up physical DS copies of those.

You can pick up The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, Link’s Awakening DX, Oracle of Seasons, and Oracle of Ages on the VC. And again if your model is the “new” version, you can add A Link to the Past with those as well.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Nice, I love my 3DS XL and still play it often.

A Link Between Worlds is a must-have for the handheld, don’t miss out on it!

The virtual console is still up and running. It will still take credit card payments for now, but I heard that was ending early next year and then you can only use Nintendo cards to add to your balance. Someone might want to confirm that though as I’m not 100% sure.

Metroid Fusion was only on the 3DS as part of the Ambassador program in 2011 for people who bought the 3DS at full price before it went on sale. Zero Mission is also sadly not on the 3DS Virtual console. You will need the Wii U virtual console for those games.

You can get Metroid 1 and Metroid 2 there on the VC to go along with the excellent Samus Returns remake that you got. If you got the “new” 3DS XL, Super Metroid is also available on the VC. You can also play Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Prime Pinball through backwards compatibility if you wanted to pick up physical DS copies of those.

You can pick up The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, Link’s Awakening DX, Oracle of Seasons, and Oracle of Ages on the VC. And again if your model is the “new” version, you can add A Link to the Past with those as well.
Oh man, those seem like glaring omissions from the 3ds eshop. Oh well, still plenty to play. Ill check out some of those gbc games too. I have switch and ive beaten super metroid on nso, but i was hoping to play the rest of the games on 3ds

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My 3DS is mainly digital, but my NDS was mainly physical. Lots of good games to pick and choose from. I find going back to the NDS Will gets you lots of Castlevania, JRPG (especially Chrono Trigger), and other various gems. Are you considering Fire Emblem Awakening or possibly Dragon Quest VII and VIII? The Mysterious Murasame Castle is a good game on the eShop. If you like Goemon/Mystical Ninja on Super Famicom you might really enjoy it. I’m a fan of MrGoemon and various retro Japanese arcade games. You can make folders on the 3DS and categorize them by genre or by collection. I have a Mario folder and a Zelda folder for instance. Don’t miss out of my personal favorite Game Gear game Vampire: Master of Darkness. It plays a lot like classic Castlevania.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
My 3DS is mainly digital, but my NDS was mainly physical. Lots of good games to pick and choose from. I find going back to the NDS Will gets you lots of Castlevania, JRPG (especially Chrono Trigger), and other various gems. Are you considering Fire Emblem Awakening or possibly Dragon Quest VII and VIII? The Mysterious Murasame Castle is a good game on the eShop. If you like Goemon/Mystical Ninja on Super Famicom you might really enjoy it. I’m a fan of MrGoemon and various retro Japanese arcade games. You can make folders on the 3DS and categorize them by genre or by collection. I have a Mario folder and a Zelda folder for instance. Don’t miss out of my personal favorite Game Gear game Vampire: Master of Darkness. It plays a lot like classic Castlevania.
I love classic castelvania, ill be sure to check it out!

Type_Raver

I upgraded to a 3DS XL earlier this year, and that little bit of extra screen makes gaming much more comfortable!
You have got everything I would've recommended, so you're good to go in my opinion :)

Something pleseant about playing the zelda remakes in 3d and i find looking at the screen beautiful.

DeepSpace5D

Oh man, those seem like glaring omissions from the 3ds eshop. Oh well, still plenty to play. Ill check out some of those gbc games too. I have switch and ive beaten super metroid on nso, but i was hoping to play the rest of the games on 3ds
Yeah, I couldn’t agree more. It’s frustrating having the catalogue spread out across more than one Virtual Console. Fusion and Zero Mission are some of the main reasons I want to pick up a Wii U in the future. I see no reason why those Game Boy Advance games shouldn’t be on the 3DS VC.

GeekyDad

Start with SMTIV and work your way down the list of anything else that has "Shin Megami Tensei" in the name. You can leave out SMTIV: Apocalypse, though -- you've already spent enough money.

TidusYuna

Fire Emblem Awakening, this is the game that saved the series.

81FTXe7QynL._SX385_.jpg

You can also get Fire Emblem Echoes, Fire Emblem Birthright, and Fire Emblem Conquest. That is if you like Strategy games like Fire Emblem Three houses.

Good news is the fire emblem 3ds games are still available on ebay or amazon for 40 dollars which is the price the 3ds games launched at. Best get them before they go up.

Last edited:

HF2014

I missed out on a good chunk of the 3ds’s titles. I had one when the system launched in 2011 and sold it a few months later. Turns out that was a mistake because it seems like i missed out on one hell of a library. Anyway i just bought a refurbished new black 3ds xl on ebay (i hope its not broken) for 250 bucks. They are pretty pricey now since nintendo stopped making them.

as for games i grabbed
Luigis mansion dark moon
Animal crossing new leaf
Mario 3d land
Mario and luigi super star saga
Kirby planet robobot
Ocarina of time 3d
Majoras mask 3d
Metroid samus returns

yeah this was all expensive af, i ended up paying like 500 bucks for everything, but i think it will be worth it. What other 3ds games should i be on the look out for. I hear link between worlds is great, so ill grab that at some point too. Is the virtual console still up and running? Id love to grab metroid fusion and zero mission

There is no gba games on virtual console, but there is snes and gameboy. Good games you can buy and own like Super Metroid, Zelda, DKC series snd Super Mario World!

Kuranghi

Imagine how great it would be if Nintendo actually just consolidated all their VC into the dream store where its just all there and ready to buy/play. Would be so amazing just to have it all together on virtual shelves, you click a little drawing of the console and then you see cartridges/discs for the games you own in 2D or 3D.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Imagine how great it would be if Nintendo actually just consolidated all their VC into the dream store where its just all there and ready to buy/play. Would be so amazing just to have it all together on virtual shelves, you click a little drawing of the console and then you see cartridges/discs for the games you own in 2D or 3D.
Yeah but here we are. One of the main reasons i bought it was because the 3ds versions of majoras mask and ocarina look better than the n64 originals and add alot of qol improvements. I know nintendo will never put those on switch, especially with nso offering n64 games now

Wish I managed to get the New 3DS XL. Still have my 3DS XL Pikachu edition in decent condition but wouldn't mind testing out the 3D eye tracking they added on the new models.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There is no gba games on virtual console

There's 10, but annoyingly they didn't get a public release, only "ambassadors". They are however available to those of us who "opened up" their units.

Wish I managed to get the New 3DS XL. Still have my 3DS XL Pikachu edition in decent condition but wouldn't mind testing out the 3D eye tracking they added on the new models.

I got the Majora's Mask one, just checked and it turns out they're going for more than I paid for it. Damn.

Umbasaborne

Banned
In a couple months im gonna try to grab

tomadachi life
Dkc returns
Poochy and yoshis Woolley world
Kirby triple deluxe
Link between worlds
Pokémon ultra sun
And the rest of the mario and luigi games on 3ds

i just spent so much money that there is no way i could justify another big purchase now lol

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
OP I think my favorite 3DS game of all time hasn't been mentioned yet

iu

This game is like if Animal Crossing was a fantasy MMO. There's a huge variety of stuff to do - from fighting monsters, exploring, gathering materials, crafting, buying a house, decorating your house, enjoying the single-player story, upgrading your equipment (either by making it yourself or buying it from shops), doing side quests, and lots more. Game even got a pretty beefy expansion pack that continues the story and adds new items and materials. Well worth picking up.

HF2014

There's 10, but annoyingly they didn't get a public release, only "ambassadors". They are however available to those of us who "opened up" their units.

I got the Majora's Mask one, just checked and it turns out they're going for more than I paid for it. Damn.
Hmm you got me curious here with “opened up”. There is a way to cheat your system to claim these 10 games or you talking about injections of games threw hack?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Hmm you got me curious here with “opened up”. There is a way to cheat your system to claim these 10 games or you talking about injections of games threw hack?

I can't really promote or talk about that stuff extensively on GAF, I'll just say that for a while, 3DS hacking/homebrew was not only incredibly easy but the method in which you added games to your system was bonkers. Imagine the eShop but everything is available - like those GBA games - and everything is free.

I haven't followed that stuff in a long time so I don't know what it looks like now but there's plenty of info floating around for the curious.

Umbasaborne

Banned
OP I think my favorite 3DS game of all time hasn't been mentioned yet

iu

This game is like if Animal Crossing was a fantasy MMO. There's a huge variety of stuff to do - from fighting monsters, exploring, gathering materials, crafting, buying a house, decorating your house, enjoying the single-player story, upgrading your equipment (either by making it yourself or buying it from shops), doing side quests, and lots more. Game even got a pretty beefy expansion pack that continues the story and adds new items and materials. Well worth picking up.

Thanks for the recommendation, this looks way up my alley. Ive never heard of it before

BlackTron

This topic is a thorn in my side. I've been thinking about it lately. I still have my original 3DS, but every time I try to play something on it, I feel like I should wait to get a larger model for a better experience. The games seem to deserve it.

I also drag my feet on the DS library because they play pretty lame on a 3DS. So I keep procrastinating on this massive library of DS/3DS by playing games on other systems with this nagging feeling that I totally neglected 3DS and haven't even played more than an hour of Zelda ALBW, WHICH I OWN.

I was looking at getting a New 3DS XL, but then did some research first and realize the New DSi XL is WAY better for DS games, due to screen and D-pad placement, and that's no small consideration for me with DS titles like Castlevania and about 1 million platformers where the DPad on the bottom would be an ergonomic nuisance.

Ok maybe I need help lol.

TidusYuna

This topic is a thorn in my side. I've been thinking about it lately. I still have my original 3DS, but every time I try to play something on it, I feel like I should wait to get a larger model for a better experience. The games seem to deserve it.

I also drag my feet on the DS library because they play pretty lame on a 3DS. So I keep procrastinating on this massive library of DS/3DS by playing games on other systems with this nagging feeling that I totally neglected 3DS and haven't even played more than an hour of Zelda ALBW, WHICH I OWN.

I was looking at getting a New 3DS XL, but then did some research first and realize the New DSi XL is WAY better for DS games, due to screen and D-pad placement, and that's no small consideration for me with DS titles like Castlevania and about 1 million platformers where the DPad on the bottom would be an ergonomic nuisance.

Ok maybe I need help lol.

I have the dragon quest DS games, DS Castlevanias, but I don't have a New DSi XL. Only own New 3ds and New 3ds XL, got into 3ds and ds a little late. I'm going to pretend I never read your post the same way I pretend I never read about how the OLED vita being better than my vita slim.

ignore-i-cant-hear-you.gif

Last edited:

Fbh

A link between worlds is a great classic 2D zelda adventure.

Kid Icarus Uprising is the best game on the system even with the awkward controls.

SMTIV is one of the best exclusive RPG's on the system and a great alternative to Pokemon if you want something darker themed and way more challenging (the production values are a bit underwhelming though).

Fire Emblem Awakening was the last good one before they went full Anime weeb bullshit.

Codes 208

Always make sure to check fine print with these things btw, a few months ago i got a good deal on a galaxy style n3ds xl at a pawnamerica just to find out it was cheap because the cardridge slot was busted. (Most of my games are digital so it wasnt a major loss, but still, it helps to keep an eye out for that kind of stuff)

BlackTron

I have the dragon quest DS games, DS Castlevanias, but I don't have a New DSi XL. Only own New 3ds and New 3ds XL, got into 3ds and ds a little late. I'm going to pretend I never read your post the same way I pretend I never read about how the OLED vita being better than my vita slim.

ignore-i-cant-hear-you.gif

Yeah, because I already have a normal 3DS I was thinking maybe use that for 3DS games and get a DSi XL for everything else. Yet, the reason I wanted a bigger system to begin with was to play 3DS games like Zelda on a better system. So instead of doing anything, I just stay paralyzed with indecision and continue to neglect 3/DS library 🤷‍♂️

Rambone

The 3DS was a titan, what a fantastic library of games.
Some of my favorites:
- Bravely Second
- ALL Shin Megami games
- Any Pokemon title
- Metroid: Samus Returns
- Yokai Watch Series
- ALL Zelda games
- Persona Q Labyrinth 1 and 2
- ALL Dragon Quest titles
- Animal Crossing New Leaf
- All Monster Hunter games
- Story of Seasons Trio of Towns
- Rune Factory 4 (now on switch)
- Xenoblade Chronicles (now on switch)
- Luigi's Mansion

TidusYuna

Yeah, because I already have a normal 3DS I was thinking maybe use that for 3DS games and get a DSi XL for everything else. Yet, the reason I wanted a bigger system to begin with was to play 3DS games like Zelda on a better system. So instead of doing anything, I just stay paralyzed with indecision and continue to neglect 3/DS library 🤷‍♂️

I wish I would have been a little more hardcore at the time like you, I probably would have got the oled vita instead of the vita slim. I just added the New DSi XL to my wishlist next to my oled vita. So thanks for the info, legit didn't realize ds games look better on the DSi.

As for jumping in to collect for the 3ds, better late than never.

Top Bottom