• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just bought a refurbished new 3ds xl on ebay.

BlackTron

I wish I would have been a little more hardcore at the time like you, I probably would have got the oled vita instead of the vita slim. I just added the New DSi XL to my wishlist next to my oled vita. So thanks for the info, legit didn't realize ds games look better on the DSi.

As for jumping in to collect for the 3ds, better late than never.

I was about to pull the trigger on a New3DSXL and in my typical hyper analytical fashion checked the differences between EVERY MODEL because they released such a variety of different units, it started to get murky after the Lite. One thing I wanted to ascertain was the last model to play GBA games (lite).

So the GOAT collection would be the GBA SP late version with better screen OR original GBA with upgraded screen (it has better ergonomics, shoulder buttons), a New DSi XL and a New 3DS XL for access to N's entire portable library with the best hardware for every game with no compromise.

I do kinda wish we could have had one end-all portable, or at least a single unit for the whole DS family lol.

zeomax

So the GOAT collection would be the GBA SP late version with better screen OR original GBA with upgraded screen (it has better ergonomics, shoulder buttons), a New DSi XL and a New 3DS XL for access to N's entire portable library with the best hardware for every game with no compromise.
No need for a DSi you can play DS games on a 3DS.

I do kinda wish we could have had one end-all portable, or at least a single unit for the whole DS family lol.
A hacked New 3DS/2DS. It plays everything from Game Gear to Gameboy Advance. All DS and 3DS games. Even home consoles starting with the NES and up to the PSX era.

BlackTron

No need for a DSi you can play DS games on a 3DS.

A hacked New 3DS/2DS. It plays everything from Game Gear to Gameboy Advance. All DS and 3DS games. Even home consoles starting with the NES and up to the PSX era.

Please read my other posts in this thread...

BlackTron

Yeah but here we are. One of the main reasons i bought it was because the 3ds versions of majoras mask and ocarina look better than the n64 originals and add alot of qol improvements. I know nintendo will never put those on switch, especially with nso offering n64 games now

I might be in a minority here but I got OOT bundled with my 3DS and I didn't like it at all. Bad experience compared to N64. I sampled the game long enough to know I didn't want to experience this cherished game this way.

Sure you won't have to go into the menu to take off/on the iron boots in the Water Temple. Pretty small buff with the long list of downsides.

-Animations were changed and IMO not better, it's awkward.
-I prefer the graphics of the original. It lost a lot of its vibe and atmosphere. The remake feels inauthentic to me.
-playing the best game of all time on a tiny screen instead of a TV.
-The N64 stick is way better than the DS nub, and this is a full on 3D adventure game
-Selecting items and ESPECIALLY playing the Ocarina was way better with C buttons, it's what the game was designed around

I think this game is still best on N64, with the GC or Wii VC version second because you get a cleaner picture and higher res, at the expense of losing the precise N64 analog stick and C buttons. Best would be some way to play the GC, VC or an emulated version with an N64 controller using an adapter. No official way there really.

In my book, 3DS version is dead last.

amc

I've got a New 3DS XL and that shit ain't leaving my bedside cabinet. And yeah I have a Switch too. I've transferred my Ambassador games from my OG launch machine and after playing Dread I've gone on a bit of a Samus kick. Fusion sat there barely touched for nigh on a decade, not anymore. Actually lying in bed as I type on my toes from X, bastard's got a mean laser. Just run. Boss game.

Absolute cornucopia of gems that I'm dipping into in between playing the big boy shit on a 77" oled. Smashed Star Fox, almost finished OoT, Outrun is still best on 3DS and I'm enjoying some old school Sega arcade from M2, Galaxy Force 2 in 3D, oh yeah.

I never sell shit, my flat's like an electro paradise.

Last edited:

wondermega

3DS is the bees knees. I still have my original model (should have upgraded, but ah well) which is cramped to play, but I don't care much, super fun. If you are a retro guy like me you gotta buy ALL the Sega 3DS classics, seriously ALL of them. Well you can probably skip Altered Beast I guess, and Ecco the Dolphin I suppose, but all of the other games are a blast even if you had played them to death years before. Just so good, so respectfully ported, and all of those games benefit from the stereoscopic treatment. Other games I really enjoyed were Mighty Switch Force (beautiful 2D stereo treatment, great soundtrack, and just fun to play) - Mario 3D Land is great, Starfox, Pushmo was very addictive. If you dig pinball the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame is a great way to pass the time, I actually pick it up often. I was pretty bummed late in the system's life when they stopped supporting the 3D effect (lame!) but the NES Remix port is still pretty fun if you like that stuff.

There's 10, but annoyingly they didn't get a public release, only "ambassadors". They are however available to those of us who "opened up" their units.

I got the Majora's Mask one, just checked and it turns out they're going for more than I paid for it. Damn.
yeah any Special edition 3DS will go for silly money now. AND if you still got the box and original packaging then you'll be getting even more if kept well.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
You do realize these old games are playable in 4K on PC right?

*with compromised controls and missing the 3D

3DS is one of those interesting pieces of hardware that doesn't translate very well to emulation. Can you get the games emulated on another system? sure. Will the experience be the same as playing on the original hardware? No.

Control scheme and layout for the dual screen systems combined with the touch screens mean that certain compromises have to be made which are ultimately detrimental to the experience. For the 3DS that is further compounded by the lack of 3d which makes a significant difference to the gameplay experience of a lot of games - notably Super Mario 3D land, which (while perfectly playable without the 3D effect was built around it) used the 3d to provide the depth of field that makes movement and precision platforming so much more natural. And although the 3d implementation was somewhat finnicky in the earlier models, in the later revisions ("NEW") the camera implementation greatly improved it and made it far more comfortable to use.

So yes, you can emulate, but in doing so you're not getting anywhere near the real experience.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Im so excited to jump into the mario and luigi series. Despite loving mario rpg and the paper mario games, the entire mario and luigi series mostly passed me by, probably because im not much of a hand held gamer. Im starting with the super star saga remake, and ill buy bowsers inside story as well. Are partners in time, dream team, and paper jam also worthwhile?

tritone

Neo Member
If you're looking for game recommendations, Rhythm Heaven Megamix is such a fun, quirky, and charming game - I don't think there's anything else quite like it for the platform.

spons

Gold Member
Interesting thread. I recently bought a brand new official battery for my New 3DS XL and kinda wanting to build a library (thank fuck for replaceable batteries, otherwise my entire device would've gone down the shitter).
The good thing for everybody just jumping in (like me) is that games are still quite cheap. This won't last of course but I have multiple local game shops and they all sell tons of unopened/new games anywhere between 10 and 40 bucks.
Even Pokemon games are in full stock at their original prices, which is entirely different from the original DS (of which 99% of cartridges are pirate China versions). I have no idea why, but I'd better make use of it.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Interesting thread. I recently bought a brand new official battery for my New 3DS XL and kinda wanting to build a library (thank fuck for replaceable batteries, otherwise my entire device would've gone down the shitter).
The good thing for everybody just jumping in (like me) is that games are still quite cheap. This won't last of course but I have multiple local game shops and they all sell tons of unopened/new games anywhere between 10 and 40 bucks.
Even Pokemon games are in full stock at their original prices, which is entirely different from the original DS (of which 99% of cartridges are pirate China versions). I have no idea why, but I'd better make use of it.
Yeah absolutley. I got 8 new sealed games with my console for not a lot of money respectively

Top Bottom