• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just uncovered why AAA games are declining: developers aren't as good as they used to be

Are games and game development becoming watered down?

• Yes, it's obvious, look at how few good new AAA games are made these days

• No, more GigaBowser fear mongering

Results are only viewable after voting.
He's making a point showing the political pandering that game companies do. He's not saying "look at these women and how they all suck" which is how you are trying to frame it. It's not a stretch to think that pandering to gender instead of who's best for the job will have a negative impact on quality of games.
Isn't what you are saying essentially the same thing? You are implicitly saying by "pandering to gender" (ie in this case hiring more women developers), companies are NOT hiring who's best for the job; implicit meaning being women are somehow not the best for the job? Maybe these women have better qualifications and better experience than their male counterparts. Who knows?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Isn't what you are saying essentially the same thing? You are implicitly saying by "pandering to gender" (ie in this case hiring more women developers), companies are NOT hiring who's best for the job; implicit meaning being women are somehow not the best for the job? Maybe these women have better qualifications and better experience than their male counterparts. Who knows?
oh-sure-john-candy.gif

Threads like this are a great way to see how many ERA migrants have come sneaking back. Its great for Gafs numbers that you lot are back skulking around in the shadows.

OP spitting facts that break some peoples fragile world views.
hulk-hulk-out.gif

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/i-ju...-as-good-as-they-used-to-be.1642871/poll/edit

All of the people who deny that wokeness is degrading Western cultural output are going to eat their words in 15-20 years when based gen z start taking charge of things.

It’s clear to me that people are forgetting the worst of gaming in the 90s. It could be dire. If you know what you are doing then it’s much better today.

But I do miss the attitude of the late 90s and the 00s a great deal. And I miss the exclusivity and gatekeeping. I don’t see why those are seen as being inherently bad.

mckmas8808

Banned
All of the people who deny that wokeness is degrading Western cultural output are going to eat their words in 15-20 years when based gen z start taking charge of things.

It’s clear to me that people are forgetting the worst of gaming in the 90s. It could be dire. If you know what you are doing then it’s much better today.

But I do miss the attitude of the late 90s and the 00s a great deal. And I miss the exclusivity and gatekeeping. I don’t see why those are seen as being inherently bad.

Nah to the bolded. But gatekeeping can be good, if you trust the gatekeepers to do the right thing. Most of the times, they don't.

anthraticus

Banned
OP a little late to the party ? All talent and inspiration is gone from AAA titles forever, and I couldn't care less about whatever garbage they pull out of their sjw shitholes. No doubt, the main message will be "straight White men are evil monsters and are gloriously humiliated and destroyed by a diversity squad of womynz and pink-haired tranny numales"

And the anglosphere is leading the charge. The good games almost always come from Eastern Europe now with some Japanese stuff sprinkled around. Everything that requires more than 10-15 developers and a large publisher is fucking derivative trash and often filled with decisions made by people who have zero respect towards the legacy of the format and probably haven't even played that many games to begin with.

27thmounti

Neo Member
What constitutes a AAA game? A game that pushes the latest and greatest hardware? Or just a big budget game?

I think the AAA offerings we’ve had are really good. I’m on my second play through of God of War on PC, would love to go back and play through RDR2 again. Haven’t had a chance to play Elden Ring or finish Resident Evil 2. Theres just no time with the great multiplayer games we have now.

And then there’s all the indies. Go try Vampire Survivors, Rimworld, and Factorio and try not to lose the next entire month to video games.

For years now society has been hiring almost entirely based on gender/skin color/sexual and political orientation and not on skill/merit and we are now seeing the result of it. Nowadays we don´t get games anymore that are being developed by the best/most talented people in the industry. Instead we are getting games developed by woke activists and diversity hires with average/below average talent. It´s really sad to see that video games have now been almost entirely reduced to a vehicle for marxist/liberal propaganda losely disguised as entertainment. Unfortunately we will never get a great Western games again because of nepotism.

Klosshufvud

For years now society has been hiring almost entirely based on gender/skin color/sexual and political orientation and not on skill/merit and we are now seeing the result of it. Nowadays we don´t get games anymore that are being developed by the best/most talented people in the industry. Instead we are getting games developed by woke activists and diversity hires with average/below average talent. It´s really sad to see that video games have now been almost entirely reduced to a vehicle for marxist/liberal propaganda losely disguised as entertainment. Unfortunately we will never get a great Western games again because of nepotism.
I would get that paranoia checked out dude. It's not that "society" is intentionally hiring bad people to spread politics. It's that employers literally don't have the experienced and skilled people applying for their jobs. And why would they? They get paid less, the hours are shittier and it's not as prestigious as doing coding elsewhere. So the recruitment process boils down to hiring anyone that is just ok on paper. Just look at Cyberpunk development. CDPR lost all their original Witcher 3 devs due to horrible working conditions, they got tons of interns to do that job instead and we got a complete clusterfuck of a project that is still being patched up years later. I would redirect that anger from minorities/women to the people in charge who caused this problem. They thought they could have their cake (shit working conditions) and eat it too (billion dollar profits). And now you also have the answer as to why publishers are so keen to push standardized engines such as UE4 over dedicated in-house engines that require the expertise and maintaining of in-house programmers.

I would get that paranoia checked out dude. It's not that "society" is intentionally hiring bad people to spread politics. It's that employers literally don't have the experienced and skilled people applying for their jobs. And why would they? They get paid less, the hours are shittier and it's not as prestigious as doing coding elsewhere. So the recruitment process boils down to hiring anyone that is just ok on paper. Just look at Cyberpunk development. CDPR lost all their original Witcher 3 devs due to horrible working conditions, they got tons of interns to do that job instead and we got a complete clusterfuck of a project that is still being patched up years later. I would redirect that anger from minorities/women to the people in charge who caused this problem. They thought they could have their cake (shit working conditions) and eat it too (billion dollar profits). And now you also have the answer as to why publishers are so keen to push standardized engines such as UE4 over dedicated in-house engines that require the expertise and maintaining of in-house programmers.
except that is exactly what is happening and has been happening for years. There is a reason why woke movies and games keep getting made despite them being complete flops financially. Just look at Kethleen Kennedy and the Star Wars movie franchise or Bonnie Ross and the Halo series. These people completely ruined once beloved franchises and it took Microsoft years and years to finally muster up the courage to fire her under pretentious reasons. Had she been a straight white male she would have been fired years ago.

If you are truly gifted and one of the most talented people in the industry then your talent will show and you won´t have to work shitty hours and get paid very little. The best people in any industry are also intrinsically motivated so even if the pay and hours were shit they would still rise to the top because of their inherent genius and because they love what they do. The problem is nowadays virtue signaling is more important to companies than the actual product they are making.

The truth of the matter is the genius people simply don´t get hired anymore in the first place unless they also happen to be a minority/gay and a political activist. Nepotism is rampant in society.

Klosshufvud

except that is exactly what is happening and has been happening for years. There is a reason why woke movies and games keep getting made despite them being complete flops financially. Just look at Kethleen Kennedy and the Star Wars movie franchise or Bonnie Ross and the Halo series. These people completely ruined once beloved franchises and it took Microsoft years and years to finally muster up the courage to fire her under pretentious reasons. Had she been a straight white male she would have been fired years ago.

If you are truly gifted and one of the most talented people in the industry then your talent will show and you won´t have to work shitty hours and get paid very little. The best people in any industry are also intrinsically motivated so even if the pay and hours were shit they would still rise to the top because of their inherent genius and because they love what they do. The problem is nowadays virtue signaling is more important to companies than the actual product they are making.

The truth of the matter is the genius people simply don´t get hired anymore in the first place unless they also happen to be a minority/gay and a political activist. Nepotism is rampant in society.
I would agree that nepotism is a problem and nepotism is the main reason as to why Kathleen Kennedy has her job (promoted by George Lucas and Spielberg to that position). But you also forget that we still have the likes of Villeneuve, Tarantino, Nolan and so on making films. I wouldn't say the film medium is actively rejecting talent. I would instead argue that films are degrading because of over-reliance on comfortable green-screen studio productions with overuse of CGI instead of the more analog way of filmmaking that produced the classics. But that's another discussion.

I would agree that nepotism is a problem and nepotism is the main reason as to why Kathleen Kennedy has her job (promoted by George Lucas and Spielberg to that position). But you also forget that we still have the likes of Villeneuve, Tarantino, Nolan and so on making films. I wouldn't say the film medium is actively rejecting talent. I would instead argue that films are degrading because of over-reliance on comfortable green-screen studio productions with overuse of CGI instead of the more analog way of filmmaking that produced the classics. But that's another discussion.
these guys were famous before woke extremism began. They would never have been famous had they started their careers in the current social climate. IMO CGI doesn´t necessarily make or break a movie if the writing is great. What makes a movie great is writing, acting and directing. Unfortunately nowadays writers are hired straight out of college based on political activism, their actual job skills are pretty much irrelevant. This is why almost all modern movies/games follow the exact same blueprint:

- minorities good, straight white guy evil/dumb/weak/racist
- women invincible mary sues who can do everything men can do, just better simply by being women
- more diversity (= less white people) even in settings that make zero sense (e.g. African American Vikings)
- must show atleast one interracial couple (usually an african american man with a white woman) and a gay/lesbian couple
- women opressed and fighting back against the evil patriarchy usually depicted as an old straight white guy in movies
- police is portrayed as white, incompetent and evil (defund the police!!!*yawn*)
- etc...

It just gets boring and predictable watching a movie/playing a game when you know writers are just checking off boxes instead of creating an engaging story.

Last edited:

kainslayer

Neo Member
I kinda agree with op,agenda pushing bullshit should stay the f away from gaming,I care less about gender battles,I just care about awesome games.Things are being watered down.let the talent Rip.and tear don't put obstacles and gimmicks.Finally suits ruin gaming imho not devs

Klosshufvud

these guys were famous before woke extremism began. They would never have been famous had they started their careers in the current social climate. IMO CGI doesn´t necessarily make or break a movie if the writing is great. What makes a movie great is writing, acting and directing. Unfortunately nowadays writers are hired straight out of college based on political activism, their actual job skills are pretty much irrelevant. This is why almost all modern movies/games follow the exact same blueprint:

- minorities good, straight white guy evil/dumb/weak/racist
- women invincible mary sues who can do everything men can do, just better simply by being women
- more diversity (= less white people) even in settings that make zero sense (e.g. African American Vikings)
- must show atleast one interracial couple (usually an african american man with a white woman) and a gay/lesbian couple
- women opressed and fighting back against the evil patriarchy usually depicted as an old straight white guy in movies
- police is portrayed as white, incompetent and evil (defund the police!!!*yawn*)
- etc...

It just gets boring and predictable watching a movie/playing a game when you know writers are just checking off boxes instead of creating an engaging story.
I get some of your points. The overused tropes are definitely becoming obnoxious. However to me they're symptoms of the problem, not the problem itself. The reason why we don't have new directors on par with mentioned is due to changed conditions for filmmaking. The mentioned filmmakers went through some very harsh conditions to make film, and they fought tooth and nail to make it so. This process made them very skilled (just handling a film camera is completely different and way harder than digital) whereas nowadays those barriers don't really exist. Since the barriers are so low now, the filter that naturally occurred before doesn't really happen. So you have so many people all doing the same thing and it's impossible to differentiate between these people.

Last edited:
I've been saying this for about 7 or 8 years now. The old guard top tier developers, the real talent who paved the way before all this shit was standardized, were the ones who made that best games of all time. These new millennial and zoomer developers never faced the extremely limiting performance capacities of older hardware that their predecessors had to deal with. It is effectively a lower barrier of entry for who can "make" games, especially with all the tools out there. Remember when every studio had a talented team of programmers making their own in house game engine that was tailor fit for the games they were making? Now everyone just shoved store bought generic assets into Unreal or Unity and calls it a day. The talent is completely gone, the people who grew up in a world of imagination and deep thought instead of smartphones and internet, are replaced with these young talentless people who only view these soulless corporate jobs as just stepping stones, filler to pad out their resumes as they hop from one company to the next. There's no creative drive, no passion, no true art. And it's not just videogames either. It's movies, music, TV, books, talk shows, fuck even news is complete crap compared to just a few decades ago. Things are going to shit and we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Futaleufu

There are too many remakes and too many people happy to buy them. Nobody is going to take risks if they can sell you the same game every 5-10 years.

I've been saying this for about 7 or 8 years now. The old guard top tier developers, the real talent who paved the way before all this shit was standardized, were the ones who made that best games of all time. These new millennial and zoomer developers never faced the extremely limiting performance capacities of older hardware that their predecessors had to deal with. It is effectively a lower barrier of entry for who can "make" games, especially with all the tools out there. Remember when every studio had a talented team of programmers making their own in house game engine that was tailor fit for the games they were making? Now everyone just shoved store bought generic assets into Unreal or Unity and calls it a day. The talent is completely gone, the people who grew up in a world of imagination and deep thought instead of smartphones and internet, are replaced with these young talentless people who only view these soulless corporate jobs as just stepping stones, filler to pad out their resumes as they hop from one company to the next. There's no creative drive, no passion, no true art. And it's not just videogames either. It's movies, music, TV, books, talk shows, fuck even news is complete crap compared to just a few decades ago. Things are going to shit and we have no one to blame but ourselves.
Top-12-Memes-Morgan-Freeman-1.jpeg

The fault doesn't just lie on the industry only, but also on the shoulders of the gaming community. I mean, just take a glance over at the 'Are remakes becoming a fad' thread and see how many are salivating over even more remakes. They're among those who are encouraging the industry to push forward as it does with impoverished creativity.

You can't really blame the industry honchos. The suits are just doing the natural thing and fleecing the gullible masses for easy money. Why bother when the demand for new and innovative ideas is low.

Last edited:
The signs were there when real devs were starting to use gamemaker and other cheap, trial, or free programs to make games in the early 2000s which all moved to Unity and other stuff (or still on game maker) decreasing actual skill from development where fangame software became real game dev software. Which means that it took newer devs longer to write code, longer to plan for something that would have been short before, and using a lot of these easy tools to construct game design, but these tools have become so simple they are complex by incident, as these tools now add an extra 7 or 10 steps to a process that used to take two or four going through the previous learning curve.

Since many modern developers don't know how to work their way around what used to be simple problems, they use a combination of programs or tools to do it instead. Executing these programs is easier, less tedious, and requires less of a learning curve, but in return the costs go up, and games take longer to make, and when someone wants to be ambitious, they usually can't because of the limitations of those programs. This isn't a problem for todays big corporations that want to crunch numbers and are looking for revenue and microtransactions not caring about the quality. They want this to happen because bad devs can be replaced by new hires that are also familiar with these programs. Real game designers actually cost money to keep at a company, but with the new overtly dumbed down tools almost anyone with moderate technical knowledge can be a game dev with a low skill cap because they didn't go through the proper learning curves.

It's why tech companies in other fields like AT&T have so many problems, large costs, and technical issues they have to try and sustain because they replaced a lot of their skilled workforce in the past with new ones who aren't able to produce the same results. This same thing is happening with youtube and Facebook.

A good example of this is the fast food industry. You used to have to know how to cook your fires and burgers, and how to operate a calculator and know basic math to verify nothing is amiss with change. You made sure the order was correct, and manually input the customer number and you had to know, or had a check list of menu items to reference to make sure things are right.

Now, fast food has idiots behind the counter that want $50 an hour using a touch screen. The touch screen systems remove the incentive to know basic math. The customer number has to be generated, so if the machine fails you can't do it manually, you have to reboot the machine, and hope the order isn't lost or you have to input an error code and then see if you can get the order, or hope the number is on their app (if they even use one), and if there's issues with change given it stalls the process. If the order is wrong it also stalls the process as there's no incentive to have a sheet if the machines go down, or if you are not able to remember what changes the customer wanted made.

As for cooking, the food is worse because they have newer fast friers and fast cooking machines, sometimes just using a microwave. If things are hung up the staff are not capable of doing anything manually, or using a longer method of 'cooking' that's not actually cooking. Instead, sometimes they just stop taking orders temporarily until someone comes to help them for manual cooking. You see the same with cashiers, change gets screwed up they stall as they have to verify and reboot the machine. Because people won't count the change themselves. All these hold ups and extra steps are not necessary, but people are being trained that these programs are the future, and things are simple and accessible now.

Half these new devs couldn't work around problems in a wet paper gpu. They spend tons on troubleshooting they should have someone show them how to manually work around, sometimes they can't do that with the programs they are using, it's one of the reasons why games are MORE buggy now even if the games aren't rushed through. Some of these hires aren't even qualifies, being able to code wordpress CSS i not the same as game development or level design. Checklist craziness.

Dane

The signs were there when real devs were starting to use gamemaker and other cheap, trial, or free programs to make games in the early 2000s which all moved to Unity and other stuff (or still on game maker) decreasing actual skill from development where fangame software became real game dev software. Which means that it took newer devs longer to write code, longer to plan for something that would have been short before, and using a lot of these easy tools to construct game design, but these tools have become so simple they are complex by incident, as these tools now add an extra 7 or 10 steps to a process that used to take two or four going through the previous learning curve.

Since many modern developers don't know how to work their way around what used to be simple problems, they use a combination of programs or tools to do it instead. Executing these programs is easier, less tedious, and requires less of a learning curve, but in return the costs go up, and games take longer to make, and when someone wants to be ambitious, they usually can't because of the limitations of those programs. This isn't a problem for todays big corporations that want to crunch numbers and are looking for revenue and microtransactions not caring about the quality. They want this to happen because bad devs can be replaced by new hires that are also familiar with these programs. Real game designers actually cost money to keep at a company, but with the new overtly dumbed down tools almost anyone with moderate technical knowledge can be a game dev with a low skill cap because they didn't go through the proper learning curves.

It's why tech companies in other fields like AT&T have so many problems, large costs, and technical issues they have to try and sustain because they replaced a lot of their skilled workforce in the past with new ones who aren't able to produce the same results. This same thing is happening with youtube and Facebook.

A good example of this is the fast food industry. You used to have to know how to cook your fires and burgers, and how to operate a calculator and know basic math to verify nothing is amiss with change. You made sure the order was correct, and manually input the customer number and you had to know, or had a check list of menu items to reference to make sure things are right.

Now, fast food has idiots behind the counter that want $50 an hour using a touch screen. The touch screen systems remove the incentive to know basic math. The customer number has to be generated, so if the machine fails you can't do it manually, you have to reboot the machine, and hope the order isn't lost or you have to input an error code and then see if you can get the order, or hope the number is on their app (if they even use one), and if there's issues with change given it stalls the process. If the order is wrong it also stalls the process as there's no incentive to have a sheet if the machines go down, or if you are not able to remember what changes the customer wanted made.

As for cooking, the food is worse because they have newer fast friers and fast cooking machines, sometimes just using a microwave. If things are hung up the staff are not capable of doing anything manually, or using a longer method of 'cooking' that's not actually cooking. Instead, sometimes they just stop taking orders temporarily until someone comes to help them for manual cooking. You see the same with cashiers, change gets screwed up they stall as they have to verify and reboot the machine. Because people won't count the change themselves. All these hold ups and extra steps are not necessary, but people are being trained that these programs are the future, and things are simple and accessible now.

Half these new devs couldn't work around problems in a wet paper gpu. They spend tons on troubleshooting they should have someone show them how to manually work around, sometimes they can't do that with the programs they are using, it's one of the reasons why games are MORE buggy now even if the games aren't rushed through. Some of these hires aren't even qualifies, being able to code wordpress CSS i not the same as game development or level design. Checklist craziness.
I don't think its an engine issue, it gave power to individuals, imagine that an animator can do stuff in engine with blueprits or other visual programing features and show to programmers how exactly it should work, game designers or during planning where you can prototype very fast and give some polish, programmers therefore can focus on what's more important and "translate into code" what the staff has implemented at superficial engine level. While I agree that there can be too much inexperience on fields that need more.

Management is the big reason, because if one day the heads say that the team have to scrap everything or almost everything, you're back to square one with less time, so you have to rush the fuck out and pray for the best, that's the way Bioware was working during their best years, and Anthem was their case of management wasting the vast majority of the development time with the whole product being done in just a year and half with an engine that wasn't modular enough for it.

SHA

I knew the day would come when we look back at older games gratefully with a little to no hope for future blockbuster titles , it's inevitable.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I dont work in game making, but the same thing can be seen at my work when were chatting on Teams or before covid had meetings. The vets who've been around can do math in the head or just do some fast chicken scratch on their notepad to determine costs, margins, prices etc.... The people who grew up with PCs need to go back to their desk to do it on their computer. If one of the bosses said he needs an answer now on the math, many people wouldnt be able to do it with pen and paper. You dont even have to get to the exact decimal place. Just a ballpark number is good enough for most meetings and decisions, but some people cant unless Excel does it for them.

Games have become more expensive to develop while still selling at $60, along with more competition at lower price points such as $20 and under indie games. It's just not worth taking risks on a high budget game
Games cost much less to distribute (digital costs less than warehouses) and a lot of AAA games are 70$ these days.
Games rarely use low level languages like assembly.
Indies are much more expensive than they were 10 years ago.

However, the games are way more complex, at least in terms of art assets, teams are probably bigger.

Anyway, I can't say that the people making them are less talented. Not to say that there is no artificial push for "diversity and inclusion", not that story beats are not written in an explicitly slanted way either.

But comparing the old games with clear eyes you can come to the conclusion that the artists and programmers are not the source of what you dislike, game engines like unreal or games that look as good as the best AAA games we have now would have been unthinkable on many levels not too long ago.

As for three Indies, these games made on shoe string budgets would have been sold as AAA games not too long ago and nobody would have batted an eye, they have access to giant high quality assets, the same game engines as the big boys, etc. So they focus on making games.

Now there problem is that there is too much money to be made on GAAS for those who decide where to spend the development budget to ignore, that means a lot of games are glorified storefronts for different color guns and armors, performance boosts, unlocking content, etc. Releasing a fun game is often only important so long as it keeps people spending money.

I dont work in game making, but the same thing can be seen at my work when were chatting on Teams or before covid had meetings. The vets who've been around can do math in the head or just do some fast chicken scratch on their notepad to determine costs, margins, prices etc.... The people who grew up with PCs need to go back to their desk to do it on their computer. If one of the bosses said he needs an answer now on the math, many people wouldnt be able to do it with pen and paper. You dont even have to get to the exact decimal place. Just a ballpark number is good enough for most meetings and decisions, but some people cant unless Excel does it for them.
You reminded me how my own brain has rotten.

I used to be able to do conversions from decimal to hex, calculate angles, etc. All in my head, now I need to go have a stupid machine do all this for me.

Even grocery clerks not too long ago had to do basic math in their head, and fast.

On the bright side, it will be easier to match humans with AI if all humans have become stupid.

Top Bottom