• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I kind of miss Playstation Home

So the other day I was just browsing youtube and crossed a video about Playstation Home. Some of you may not remember, but I miss the days when it was possible to meet other people in a virtual room to get to know them a little bit before playing something together. I don‘t miss Sonys greed for money via cosmetic outfits on a second life character, but nowadays I feel like there‘s not really a dedicated space to meet new people to hang out with. Sure, we have matchmaking so you don‘t need to arrange a multiplayer session, and we have private parties so you can communicate without any interruptions due to connectivity issues, but honestly, I think we‘ve lost many opportunities to get to know strangers. I‘ve been playing Borderlands 3 on PS4 lately, and I always try to connect with the people joining my game or whenever I join theirs, but out of 20 matchmakings, I got 0 responses whenever I tried to communicate with them and I believe probably all of them were in their own private parties. I also remember games where it wasn‘t possible to stay in a private party so you either had to communicate with others or just ignore them (Modern Warfare 2 for example). Gone are also the days of small local message boards, substituted by facebook and other social media. And then again I feel like I just don‘t know how things work these days, because I haven‘t been very keen on the transition from Xbox 360 days to PS4 days and there were some years in which I didn‘t pay too much attention to the social aspects evolving in games. So how am I supposed to find like-minded gamers? Is it a combination of facebook, discord (so far only heard of it, never been using it) and neogaf or am I doomed to stay forever alone i.e. with my buddies from X360 days because connecting isn‘t a thing anymore?

dave_d

I just remember trying it a couple of times and it would just get on my nerves it didn't run very well. (Seemed to have much longer load times than I was expecting.)

Resenge

I tried, way too many weeb creepy old men, with suspect anime avatars

Like something out of a Jimmy Saville dream
That is true and it put me off using it properly for years.

I think VRchat is an unfortunate name, I imagined it to just be rooms with people acting out their fantasies and that was my experience for the longest time as I didn't look deeper into the app but I was told to look past that and to play it like rec room. Search for games you like or even old maps from games that people have imported. I know someone who uses it as a cinema and invites friends into the game and they watch movies on the cinema screen together in sync. VRChat is much bigger than just a weeb's dream, it is a lot like Rec Room when it comes to the games it can play and the model, maps, textures it can use make it better imo.

Don't bother to play it natively on the Quest or Quest 2 though, its junk. You need to play it on PCVR to get the best out of it, Virtual Desktop or Oculus link is preferable than the Quest port.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
I loved the concept of Home but damn it didn’t load for me 7/10 times I tried it. Would love a more modern and reliable version of it.

Kdad

Would love to have HOME back.... Xi was an absolute blast. No idea why developers dont want to make a in console world that encourages more engagement, has micro transactions that people wont bitch about, acts as an advert for your game that people can stumble into etc.

SkylineRKR

All I asked when I played it was, why? Why would I waste time on this, why would I watch streams through it?

I get it was an attempt at second life but to me this fad is the most retarded shit gaming has ever seen. Its worse than Battle Royale which I also think is a waste of time (personally I just want into the action, not walking around for minutes only to get pot shot).

Anything this fuckface hyped, what was his name again, Harrison, turned out to be trash.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Every time I think of 7th gen consoles, people complained about them and 8th had none of this. Ps Home actually performed well for me, was a nice menu, and shows you can make a sims-like-os/ui happen.
dims
playstation-home-ps3-1.900x.jpg

preview

I spent a bit of time in Home, but not much. I do have an experience with it that was kind of funny and ridiculous. I was in the Star Wars Cantina when I was approached by a guy who messaged me being relatively friendly, and eventually asked me if I was interested in joining his gang, his PS home gang. I was about to just ignore him but though I'd run with it to see what would happen. So he invited me to a meeting at "The Godfathers" apartment, where he introduced me to a bunch of other gang members, affiliates, soldiers, the consigliere and even the godfather himself, lol. Well, they were really serious about it, the roleplaying was sooo serious to them. They had meetings twice a week, 7PM EST and they were mandatory. They had loads of rules you needed to follow, three strikes and you'd get wacked for disobedience. I asked, what the benefit? They said stuff like, you'd be associated with the best gang in Home, you'd be respected and feared. It offered members protection, I asked from what? they said other home members, and I said okay, from them doing what to me though? dancing in front of my avatar? loooool.

It was so wack, there's a lot more to it but I don't remember the details, it's going back 10 years now, I wasted a good few hours with these fools, but at the same time I got a good laugh out of it all.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Yeah, a community lobby should be norm for home console. It was kind of cool for PS Home and I really do miss Miiverse.

It just made the console more connected to each other's and much less lonely.

Jagz

Give VR Chat a go; it far exceeds PS Home, Second Life, Rec Room or other. With its ability to directly import creations from Blender and Unity, there's a lot more you can do with it.

INC

That is true and it put me off using it properly for years.

I think VRchat is an unfortunate name, I imagined it to just be rooms with people acting out their fantasies and that was my experience for the longest time as I didn't look deeper into the app but I was told to look past that and to play it like rec room. Search for games you like or even old maps from games that people have imported. I know someone who uses it as a cinema and invites friends into the game and they watch movies on the cinema screen together in sync. VRChat is much bigger than just a weeb's dream, it is a lot like Rec Room when it comes to the games it can play and the model, maps, textures it can use make it better imo.

Don't bother to play it natively on the Quest or Quest 2 though, its junk. You need to play it on PCVR to get the best out of it, Virtual Desktop or Oculus link is preferable than the Quest port.

i have a rift s, so ill give it another go, any games worth searching out on there? something similar to RR paintball on there? (as simple as that is, its a load of fun)

ExpandKong

Banned
Yeah, a community lobby should be norm for home console. It was kind of cool for PS Home and I really do miss Miiverse.

It just made the console more connected to each other's and much less lonely.

Ahhh came to comment about Miiverse. I didn't mess with Home much but Miiverse was an absolute delight. I hope Nintendo brings back something similar someday.

Resenge

i have a rift s, so ill give it another go, any games worth searching out on there? something similar to RR paintball on there? (as simple as that is, its a load of fun)
There is paintball but I haven't tried it, how about the game of the month?

Ceadeus

Ahhh came to comment about Miiverse. I didn't mess with Home much but Miiverse was an absolute delight. I hope Nintendo brings back something similar someday.

Yes, totally my favorite aspect of the WiiU. Everything was linked directly to it. From the menu UI to the games or the Eshop. I'm so nostalgic of opening this console seing all those Mii running through the Menu with their quirky drawing.

It simply was a huge connected community of all age that felt fresh and joyful every time.

Jada_Li

Banned
All I remember is female avatar surrounded by attention seeking male.

This indeed was an annoying issue and those who kept looking for virtual girlfriends or trying to hook up in real life. While that may be okay in some instances...hell no. I didn't play PSHome like it was some sort of virtual dating social platform like some were. I just wanted to check out all the cool games and freebies and gaming news. Though sometimes it was fun to interact with others and other times it wasn't because there's so many different types of people you meet. This one guy wouldn't leave me alone and didn't know what the word no meant, so I changed into my male avatar half naked and said alright then you still wanna virtually date? He ran away saying no homo and I never heard from him again and that gave me so many laughs even to this day. Actually, sometimes I will be the opposite gender avatar so not to be bombarded with the dehydrated people out there but then that one time a female was hitting on my avatar...geez I could not get any peace for those types. But some of the people I ran into were really fun to hang out with and talk to even though those types are rare to find for me.

Fun Fact: My username Jada Li is also the name that I used in PSHome. I really miss it too and was hoping PS5 generation would bring it back. Would of been perfect since G4 will be making a comeback plus SSD and real time ray tracing.

These were some of my favorite places to hang out. Yes, I still have my screenshots. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

PlayStation(R)Home_Picture_03-08-2014_19-07-28.jpg

PlayStation(R)Home_Picture_05-18-2014_10-33-49.jpg

Beach_20140414_153447.jpg

PlayStation(R)Home_Picture_04-23-2014_20-02-38.jpg

Play-Station-R-Home-Picture-05-05-2014-17-02-05.jpg

Beach-20140420-122450.jpg

Play-Station-R-Home-Picture-04-26-2014-17-01-10.jpg

Play-Station-R-Home-Picture-04-01-2014-11-10-38.jpg

And since I don't have those radios at least I can still listen to it on YouTube. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

And this song was the one everyone would do the running man in line to. Everytime I saw it I joined in. It was fun. Mostly a lot of good memories in PSH.

Jada_Li

Banned
Correction: Chain Swing was the song I would do the running man to because I forgot everyone would hear whatever song they chose...I think.

sublimit

Banned
I liked checking the various levels from games and to unlock items i had already won from playing the games themselves. Some mini games were fun time wasters too.

I was a loner though. Never said a word to anyone lol

Top Bottom