• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I know Bethesda is a crappy lazy company, but current Fallout 76 situation is just too much

SGRU

Bethesda is Bethesda, so asking them to fix at least some of the hundreds of bugs Fallout 76 has is a waste of time, but is it really so difficult to patch it for Series S/X consoles or PS5?

I mean, it has been almost a year since Series X launched, didn't they have the time for updating the game? They are a first party studio now, we can expect a little more compromise with the platform...

I'm currently playing it with the 60 FPS option, but it is just too damn blurry.

The same applies for Fallout 4, I would love playing it again with updated graphics.

What do you think? Is there any chance of the game to be updated for Series S/X?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't think Bethesda is so much lazy as they made Fallout 76 as a shameless cash grab.

The game is passable on PC, however to improve it you basically have to perform surgery on your rig's files.

As far as the upgrades....I'd much rather them be working on releasing Starfield in the best possible light.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
so asking them to fix at least some of the hundreds of bugs Fallout 76 has is a waste of time
I thought the situation had improved?

Haven't played the game personally. But thought they had slowly turned it around.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I still have the game sealed in the box, it came with the X1X I got 2 1/2 years ago.

The Fallout 76 bundle was actually cheaper than the stand alone console. Best part is the packaging. It’s just a “Fallout 76” sleeve over the standard box. I was able to dispose of the sleeve and now nobody has to know I bought it.

Bethesda is Bethesda, so asking them to fix at least some of the hundreds of bugs Fallout 76 has is a waste of time, but is it really so difficult to patch it for Series S/X consoles or PS5?

I mean, it has been almost a year since Series X launched, didn't they have the time for updating the game? They are a first party studio now, we can expect a little more compromise with the platform...

I'm currently playing it with the 60 FPS option, but it is just too damn blurry.

The same applies for Fallout 4, I would love playing it again with updated graphics.

What do you think? Is there any chance of the game to be updated for Series S/X?
As PC gamer, let it be known that Bethesda was trained to let the customers fix the bugs themselves.

A bug in Oblivion, where certain types of enemy corpses are never removed, thus leading to the area slowly loverloaded with corpses of respawned enemies and thus crash the game, was fixed by the community patch but never by Bethesda.
When Fallout 3 came out, the exact SAME BUG was still present with enemies killed by an energy weapon crit. And once again Bethesda never fixed it, the PC community just reused the same code patch from Oblivion to stop the bug.

If you think Bethesda would care about fixing bugs now that Microsoft pay their salaries, think again.

Metnut

The Fallout76 team are the biggest Cyberpunk fans in the world. Took all the heat off of their disaster!

In a perfect world, Starfield could be a GOTY, even a GOTG type of game, but it’s hard to have a lot of faith these folks can release a game in great shape.

Last edited:

skit_data

how this title is even possible mods?
so are we accepting as objectively true that Bethesda is a crappy lazy company?
Idk about crappy and lazy but they are known for their buggy and glitchy games since quite a while back:

qS4zNDc.jpg

Impotaku

This sums up perfectly why i'll never buy another of their shitty half made games anymore, their ambition grossly outstrips their programming talent. Although i hope they keep at it as it provides internet historian with a wealth of amusing material to make vids from like this fantastic entertainment laden example. Man bethesda are so shit LOL

Starfield

Would be really cool if they would announce a Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Edition or something at some point

MiguelItUp

Fallout 76 always has been, and always will be a mess. I'm surprised they even did what they've done with it, even more so, that people actually play it to warrant them adding more content and making it more "functional".

But I don't think the game will ever be completely "stable". It had a god awful rep since the beginning that has tarnished the name, and while they've done SOME stuff they certainly haven't done enough.

I think it'd be best to just avoid it until the next FO iteration comes out, whenever that may be.

sircaw

Banned
This sums up perfectly why i'll never buy another of their shitty half made games anymore, their ambition grossly outstrips their programming talent. Although i hope they keep at it as it provides internet historian with a wealth of amusing material to make vids from like this fantastic entertainment laden example. Man bethesda are so shit LOL

Yep, it is absolutely shameful the way that game got released.

Ribi

Really? I was under the assumption there's an active part of the company updating the game. Even keep seeing updates here and there for it on the subreddit.

Zensras

Neo Member
I mean, Did you really expect Bethesda to learn after several games or even take a step back to think after giving Bethesda Austin a codebase with tacked-on multiplayer from an idea they had long ago?

Many people expected it to be fixed once modding came. Modding isn't coming so you have to deal with the jank Bethesda thought was a great idea.

They're owned by Microsoft now, the hyperbole can begin.
Oh stop it, that’s not a new narrative. Bethesda has been known long before the Microsoft deal to be lazy when it comes to fixing their copious amount of bugs in their game.

They get the credit they deserve for having vastly open ended worlds and that’s obviously how they can run into so many engine bugs which is why people are valid in making these claims especially when it’s persistent for decades

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
They've fixed bugs, but there were so many to start with that they could fix 500 things, and still have problems

I loaded it up again a while back, and although I don't think I will ever be able to get over the hideously broken state it was released in, I have to admit that it's hugely improved now. In particular, the level scaling used to be insanely broken - say you were level 30 and then someone that was level 200 came into the same area - at which point everything gets its level bumped up and started to kill you with one hit. It's also much less grindy - in the initial release, you spent way too much of your time going around the map and collecting literal junk so you could fix your gear - that mechanism is still there, but it's been adjusted to be way less obnoxious.

They have also added human NPCs and factions, which make the world seem much more alive. I think the instancing has also been considerably improved, since on this replay I haven't run into the (previously very common) situation where you arrive at a quest location and find someone else has killed the target / picked up the quest item and you have to exit the game, go back in, and hope that the instance you end up in this time has the item you need.

If you were burnt by the launch, it's probably too late to get into it - but if you haven't played it at all, give it a try.

SGRU

Would be really cool if they would announce a Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Edition or something at some point

I would pay full price for a re-edition with all the DLC, a little more content and Series S/X 4K 60. No doubt.

SGRU

I mean, Did you really expect Bethesda to learn after several games or even take a step back to think after giving Bethesda Austin a codebase with tacked-on multiplayer from an idea they had long ago?

Many people expected it to be fixed once modding came. Modding isn't coming so you have to deal with the jank Bethesda thought was a great idea.

At this point, I would be happy with just 4K 60.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
According to some it's a changed game now? But an abysmal release is sadly enough to make me avoid a game for good. I especially have a strong distaste for poorly implemented microtransactions in a game. That's just me.

But yea, l e g a c y b u g s 😄

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I also love the cute sentiment that Bethesda should focus on future projects. Ignoring that 76 is a GAAS, it's not like Starfield and whatever is next for Bethesda aren't going to be plagued with their own share of issues.

If you play a Bethesda game expect it to be buggy, that's just the way it is.

Sprinkle in a pinch of severely outdated animations and a dab of dated visuals too.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Awful lot of complaining there for a game that released many years ago.

The game isn't even close to being sunshined. It is still being developed and people still play the absolutely crap out of a game that was largely ready to be put down at launch. They can release an update to a game that was released a decade ago, but can't be bothered to at a minimum release a patch that brings FO76 in line with modern consoles (something UBISOFT and other developers have no problem doing, including for games that came out around the same time as FO76).

I loaded it up again a while back, and although I don't think I will ever be able to get over the hideously broken state it was released in, I have to admit that it's hugely improved now. In particular, the level scaling used to be insanely broken - say you were level 30 and then someone that was level 200 came into the same area - at which point everything gets its level bumped up and started to kill you with one hit. It's also much less grindy - in the initial release, you spent way too much of your time going around the map and collecting literal junk so you could fix your gear - that mechanism is still there, but it's been adjusted to be way less obnoxious.

They have also added human NPCs and factions, which make the world seem much more alive. I think the instancing has also been considerably improved, since on this replay I haven't run into the (previously very common) situation where you arrive at a quest location and find someone else has killed the target / picked up the quest item and you have to exit the game, go back in, and hope that the instance you end up in this time has the item you need.

If you were burnt by the launch, it's probably too late to get into it - but if you haven't played it at all, give it a try.
I played it at launch, and it was a broken disaster.
In 2021, I went back and even got the platinum trophy for the game, which only 1% of players on PS have done. I even did a review for it this year on my YouTube channel. I have given this game more than a fair chance. I played it through fully with a new character mere months ago. It's still a poorly designed, and VERY GRINDY game that fails in every way to reward the player for the time spent.
It's grossly imbalanced, and the change they made to the level scaling only served to introduce new problems.
You also get pigeonholed into using certain weapon types. Using a sniper build is 100% useless once you get past level 50, as the enemies are just complete bullet sponges. The game does not scale well, despite the changes.
You run out of ammo far too quickly, and the game doesn't compensate for that, because they want you to keep grinding for more resources to craft.
They added player vendors finally, but then decided to TAX caps on both the seller AND the buyer, which is just one more resource grind.
They still charge you caps to fast travel, which is insane, since the quest designs are so awful, and require multiple trips back and forth to the NPC quest giver, who then often sends you right back to where you just came from, on the opposite side of the map.
The most work goes into selling you more cosmetic items, and forcing players to lean into the Fallout 1st subscription. Literally every player I know who still plays the game is subbed.
The weapon rewards are SO BAD that the game has a third party black market website where people sell rare weapons for actual real world cash, because the game constantly "rewards" you with garbage Legendary rolls like a melee weapon that does "+15% damage to mirelurks", or some other useless roll.
I could keep going, but I think I've made my point clear.
Sorry, but I have given this game far more time than it deserved. Being "better than it was at launch" doesn't magically make it a good game. It's still awful imo. If you enjoy it, great. I am friends with people who still play it every day. They also agree with my assessment of the state of Fallout 76, but they still play anyway for some reason.

Last edited:

jakinov

"lazy" is such a siilly critisim when it comes to companies. You think they just let their employees sit around going "I don't feel like adding this or doing that". They do what they can do with the resources and money that they have. Companies don't not do things because they are lazy it's because its usually not a great use of resources and money. If they are trying to push out a game like Starfield and start work on the next elder scrolls. Going back to work Fallout 76 is a waste of time and probably won't lead to more money.

Aenima

One thing i lerned the hard way. Bethesda games only on PC. One good thing Bethesda has is letting the mod comunity take over with mods and fixes. Maybe reason why they dont care about fixing they own games as well or is just not a priority.

So if u choose to play a Bugthesda game on console, well, good luck.

I bought Skyrim for PC about 4 years after release and still found a game breaking bug in it, and a bunch of other minor bugs. Luckly there was mods available to fix the problem i found. I also bought Skyrim for PS3, and that was a mistake.

Last edited:
Awful lot of complaining there for a game that released many years ago.
Awful lot of bootlicking for a live service game in a popular franchise that's still being monetized today.

You probably would say the same thing for Gta v and Rdr2. Those games should've received next gen patches too. I don't understand why you choose to see things through the perspective of a AAA company wanting to cut costs and milk fans instead of from the side of gamers who just want our games to run better on the $500 new hardware we purchased but you do you I guess.

Top Bottom