• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I know Bethesda is a crappy lazy company, but current Fallout 76 situation is just too much

"lazy" is such a siilly critisim when it comes to companies. You think they just let their employees sit around going "I don't feel like adding this or doing that". They do what they can do with the resources and money that they have. Companies don't not do things because they are lazy it's because its usually not a great use of resources and money. If they are trying to push out a game like Starfield and start work on the next elder scrolls. Going back to work Fallout 76 is a waste of time and probably won't lead to more money.
How much they payin you?

What did you think got them considered a crappy, lazy company? The crappy, lazy games they make. It's circular reasoning. Fallout 76 isn't too much, is par for the course.

As PC gamer, let it be known that Bethesda was trained to let the customers fix the bugs themselves.

A bug in Oblivion, where certain types of enemy corpses are never removed, thus leading to the area slowly loverloaded with corpses of respawned enemies and thus crash the game, was fixed by the community patch but never by Bethesda.
When Fallout 3 came out, the exact SAME BUG was still present with enemies killed by an energy weapon crit. And once again Bethesda never fixed it, the PC community just reused the same code patch from Oblivion to stop the bug.

If you think Bethesda would care about fixing bugs now that Microsoft pay their salaries, think again.
Yup that's Bethesda in a nutshell

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Shocks me that people still use the word "lazy" when talking about these types of issues.

It's as if these companies are just lying around on couches eating Cheetos, reading NeoGAF and hiring anyone who walks in of the street. 🙄

anthraticus

Banned
"lazy" is such a siilly critisim when it comes to companies. You think they just let their employees sit around going "I don't feel like adding this or doing that". They do what they can do with the resources and money that they have. Companies don't not do things because they are lazy it's because its usually not a great use of resources and money. If they are trying to push out a game like Starfield and start work on the next elder scrolls. Going back to work Fallout 76 is a waste of time and probably won't lead to more money.
Exactly.....try just plain incompetent. And forget about bugs, as that's the least of their problems.

I know everybody likes to kill the Toddler all the time with the tell me lies vids and whatnot, but in reality he's just a squeaky-voiced manlet beholden to his corporate overlords. He's guilty only of the same foolishness the rest of his team indulges in...outlandish gushing about cool-sounding features that they imagine can be implemented in their games, but then it turns out they can't be (or are implemented in a much more limited and disappointing fashion, like Radiant AI), because as developers they're too incompetent to bring their ideas from the drawing board to people's computer screens. I genuinely believe they don't mean to deceive people. They just plain suck.

TVexperto

I just don't understand how it still runs like shit so many years after launch on my 3090 or how they STILL did not announce a ps5 update

Not trying to be a jerk, but I have to ask, have you never worked with people who are lazy before? I think everyone has. Why think that game developers are immune to certain behaviors? I'm sure not everyone at Bethesda is lazy, but I'm just as sure that there are people who probably don't pull their own weight. It happens a literally every job I've ever worked at.

A lot of companies take this approach to GAAS games, have a small team working on it, maintaining it, but refuse to put serious resources, money, or manpower on it to truly fix it. It's such bullshit.
Is it bullshit? The players are stuck and they keep spending €$.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

We aren't saying the company is physically lazy. They are creatively and technically lazy. They could turn some of their resources on to making the gameplay experience better for people with better hardware (or hell for people on the hardware the game launched on). That you still can not get a good frame rate in FO76 (or hell even FO4) without just absolutely brute forcing the game speaks volumes about where their priorities are.

Game runs awesome on PS5... y'all are weird about resolution.

The game runs better on PS5 than PS4 but I wouldn't say it's awesome. And it's about more than just resolution. Both XSX and PS5 have far superior hard drives; loading should not be as big of a problem as it is on either console.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The game runs better on PS5 than PS4 but I wouldn't say it's awesome. And it's about more than just resolution. Both XSX and PS5 have far superior hard drives; loading should not be as big of a problem as it is on either console.

The game loads crazy fast for me on PS5. Honestly not even sure what you are talking about... a few seconds to fast travel.

No. If I had early access to GT for $50 I’d be racing. I wouldn’t be worried about a thread calling out nex machina and Housemarque

I'm not so caught up in early access right now, plus I'm also working at the same time. My work and daily errands schedule will dictate whether or not I see value in spending $44 (I'm a game pass ultimate subscriber, so I get a discount) for early access. Plus if/when I do buy the premium add-ons bundle, it will likely be more for all that's included with it, and less because of the early access period for the game, which I may or may not even have time to take advantage of currently.

I'm already supporting Forza Horizon 5 before even considering whether or not I want the premium add-ons yet because I subscribe to Game Pass, and fully intend on playing the hell out of Forza Horizon 5.

Flutta

Banned
eqdkgwgubl221.jpg

jakinov

Not trying to be a jerk, but I have to ask, have you never worked with people who are lazy before? I think everyone has. Why think that game developers are immune to certain behaviors? I'm sure not everyone at Bethesda is lazy, but I'm just as sure that there are people who probably don't pull their own weight. It happens a literally every job I've ever worked at.
What you are basically saying to me is that COMPANY XYZ is an asshole because there exist asshole employees at every company. It doesn't matter if there' lazy individuals are lazy but at a high level the coporation not doing something is not because they are too lazy to do so. It's because they rather put priority/money/resources into doing something else.

We aren't saying the company is physically lazy. They are creatively and technically lazy. They could turn some of their resources on to making the gameplay experience better for people with better hardware (or hell for people on the hardware the game launched on). That you still can not get a good frame rate in FO76 (or hell even FO4) without just absolutely brute forcing the game speaks volumes about where their priorities are.
Well no many people have been calling devs lazy for simply not doing stuff that they want them to do. People used to call Bethesda lazy for not liking the PS3 because it was the pain in the ass to develop for and how they should have spent the time like Sony does to figure it out. It's not being lazy it simply not wanting to waste time doing things that don't make them money and they have other things to do. There's much better adjectives than lazy. You can call them unambitious, cheap, too risk adverse and lacking technical prowness or lacking creativity. But just calling them lazy is a silly critism. What even OP is talking about isn't being "creatively lazy" or "Technically lazy" it's just that they haven't wanted to spend time on doing those upgrade, it's not a creative or technical problem. It's a business decision that probably isn't going to result in them making much more money if any.

What you are basically saying to me is that COMPANY XYZ is an asshole because there exist asshole employees at every company. It doesn't matter if there' lazy individuals are lazy but at a high level the coporation not doing something is not because they are too lazy to do so. It's because they rather put priority/money/resources into doing something else.

Well no many people have been calling devs lazy for simply not doing stuff that they want them to do. People used to call Bethesda lazy for not liking the PS3 because it was the pain in the ass to develop for and how they should have spent the time like Sony does to figure it out. It's not being lazy it simply not wanting to waste time doing things that don't make them money and they have other things to do. There's much better adjectives than lazy. You can call them unambitious, cheap, too risk adverse and lacking technical prowness or lacking creativity. But just calling them lazy is a silly critism. What even OP is talking about isn't being "creatively lazy" or "Technically lazy" it's just that they haven't wanted to spend time on doing those upgrade, it's not a creative or technical problem. It's a business decision that probably isn't going to result in them making much more money if any.
That's the problem. The "gamer central" creed is sorely lacking in the industry today. Profits are at an all time high for many of the biggest companies in gaming, yet their attitude of wanting gamers to have a great experience while ALSO making a good profit, is non existent for companies like Bethesda, EA, Rockstar Games, etc etc

The lack of "next gen updates" for Fallout 76 and especially Rdr2/gta V are great examples. Don't get hung up on the examples I mentioned, this is something they are ALL guilty of these days. Also, what is so wrong about the word lazy being used here? It's a perfectly reasonable adjective for "this is a business decision that putting this extra effort is not going to make us as much money". That's fuckin lazy to me when a few companies actually DO CARE enough to realize that we're on a new gen of hardware, that people are spending money on new hardware capable of more than 1080p/30fps, and "hey, these people have supported us throughout the years and are getting a sub par experience; let's spend a little extra time and resources to improve that experience relative to the new box they just spent $550 on".

They're still monetizing the crap out of their live service games yet they can't be asked to do a patch for those STILL supporting them. Not everything is about the 'bottom line. There used to be this thing called "good service" and that thing would ensure their customers stay happy.

In 2021 though these companies are making stupid money while lacking that "good customer service" that would result in less buggy launches, broken road maps, and less frustration. The digital model where any kid can swipe their parents credit card, I guess, has killed that need for companies to want to go that extra step.

(or are implemented in a much more limited and disappointing fashion, like Radiant AI),
Radiant AI was exactly what it was suppose to be. Basically a Dwarf Fortress style simulation. And the issue is that Bethesda forgot to give the AI ways to resolve conflicts that doesn't involve lethal violence.

You notice that? Every time an NPC get mad at the player, their first action is trying to kill you. That is because this is still an action game and the main way to resolve arguments is murder.

You can't create a simulation that way, at least not a simulation that also like to pretend it has functional cities.

Radiant AI was exactly what it was suppose to be, the issue is it is not fun for the player. Sure, it is fun if you are some god from up-high controlling the simulation Simcity style, but as a first person fighting game it is annoying to find out all the killable characters have died offscreen and all the invincible characters are all in jail.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The game loads crazy fast for me on PS5. Honestly not even sure what you are talking about... a few seconds to fast travel.

Game performs better on next gen hardware because of course it does; this isn't because they've optimized anything, it's simply using the brute power of the new machines. That's what I'm talking about: that BETHESDA shouldn't get credit for not actually doing anything.

ripeavocado

Banned
Bethesda is Bethesda, so asking them to fix at least some of the hundreds of bugs Fallout 76 has is a waste of time, but is it really so difficult to patch it for Series S/X consoles or PS5?

I mean, it has been almost a year since Series X launched, didn't they have the time for updating the game? They are a first party studio now, we can expect a little more compromise with the platform...

I'm currently playing it with the 60 FPS option, but it is just too damn blurry.

The same applies for Fallout 4, I would love playing it again with updated graphics.

What do you think? Is there any chance of the game to be updated for Series S/X?

if you still care about Fallout 76 is your fault.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Game performs better on next gen hardware because of course it does; this isn't because they've optimized anything, it's simply using the brute power of the new machines. That's what I'm talking about: that BETHESDA shouldn't get credit for not actually doing anything.

OK? The game has crazy fast load times.. why does it matter if Bethesda did anything for that or not? lol

There is no "big problem" to solve.. the game isn't going to get re-designed around faster IO. It's not some static SP game, or basic ass open world game.. you could load into the world at an enormous number of locations, wherever you've built a camp, and what needs to be loaded into memory is a lot.. and it's not the kind of game that's ever going to do some massive behind the scenes data streaming.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
1440p/30 fps ...resolution is not the problem although resolution is very important. Have you played a 1080p game on a 4k tv compared to a 4k game? The framerate is the bigger problem here thougj.

I think you're conflating "important to you" and "important to everyone".

I've got my PS4pro hooked up to a 1080p TV at the moment - if I compare the image with my 4k TV then I can see that yes, there is less detail. But I honestly don't care, because the difference is of no significance for gameplay. Same reason I've concluded that I really don't give a fuck about ray tracing.

I think you're conflating "important to you" and "important to everyone".

I've got my PS4pro hooked up to a 1080p TV at the moment - if I compare the image with my 4k TV then I can see that yes, there is less detail. But I honestly don't care, because the difference is of no significance for gameplay. Same reason I've concluded that I really don't give a fuck about ray tracing.
Ok but your an outer at this point. Many people still have 1080p tvs because 4k tvs have been expensive but the console makers, devs, and the entire industry has been pushing for and shifting focus to 4k since 2016. 1080pis in the process of being slowly phased out.

The reason 1080p is fine for you is you are still playing on a 1080p TV. The image doesn't have to stretch to fit the screen. 1080p doesn't look good on a 4k tv. So while it matters 'to me' it matters to the industry as a whole and others who've adopted 4k.

nemiroff

Gold Member
wat. With that kind of headline you should consider yourself lucky if two or three people will muster up the energy to actually read the post after.

Ozriel

M$FT
Bethesda is Bethesda, so asking them to fix at least some of the hundreds of bugs Fallout 76 has is a waste of time, but is it really so difficult to patch it for Series S/X consoles or PS5?

I mean, it has been almost a year since Series X launched, didn't they have the time for updating the game? They are a first party studio now, we can expect a little more compromise with the platform...

I'm currently playing it with the 60 FPS option, but it is just too damn blurry.

The same applies for Fallout 4, I would love playing it again with updated graphics.

What do you think? Is there any chance of the game to be updated for Series S/X?

They’ve said they’ll do a next gen patch for Fallout 76. No roadmap date, though.

I don’t think anyone is going to do a next gen patch for Fallout 4 from 2015. C’mon, man.

Kssio_Aug

Its the truth though.

For those craving for console wars, you guys are wasting your time. Bethesda was well know for its "polishment" before even being bought by MS. No point in trying hard for their sake now.
Although I agree Bethesda should do a better job polishing their games before and after release, I still think that calling them "lazy" is way too much. You can't deny that their games are generally huge and full of content. They're very competent in delivering good games, and that's why they got a good reputation, besides these issues.

Also, there are tons of games out there that need a next-gen patch. Fallout 76 is just one among so many... and it also is not even one of Bethesda favorites, so I doubt that's their focus right now.

That being said... no, I don't think that's the truth at all. It's quite a hyperbole actually.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Although I agree Bethesda should do a better job polishing their games before and after release, I still think that calling them "lazy" is a bit too much. You can't deny that their games are generally huge and full of content. They're very competent in delivering good games, and that's why they got a good reputation, besides these issues.

Also, there are tons of games out there that need a next-gen patch. Fallout 76 is just one among so many... and it also is not even one of Bethesda favorites, so I doubt that's their focus right now.

I had my fair share of games full of fucking damn glitches and crashes during my entire PS4 and something you can't deny is that most of their games are a glitch/bug simulator(hence they have an entire section of memes). You have to try stupidly hard to convince me they're not lazy. My last Bethesda game was so damn cancer that I even got a refund on PS Store.

Sidenote, why is everyone sensitive about calling them lazy? Is this Resetera?

Kssio_Aug

I had my fair share of games full of fucking damn glitches and crashes during my entire PS4 and something you can't deny is that most of their games are a glitch/bug simulator(hence they have an entire section of memes). You have to try stupidly hard to convince me they're not lazy. My last Bethesda game was so damn cancer that I even got a refund on PS Store.

Sidenote, why is everyone sensitive about calling them lazy? Is this Resetera?
I am definitely not sensitive about it. But you do seem sensitive about not calling them lazy. lol
I mean... ok, you couldn't stand the game and asked for a refund; but most people don't seem to feel the same way (at least not with the same intensity as you do). Their games sells a lot and people seems to love it nonetheless. Is it flawed? Sure... but they're still GREAT products.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Fallout 76 is a niche game for weirdos, those still into it are gonna play no matter what, those who don't care aren't gonna care due to some next gen upgrade.

Saber

Gold Member
I am definitely not sensitive about it. But you do seem sensitive about not calling them lazy. lol
I mean... ok, you couldn't stand the game and asked for a refund; but most people don't seem to feel the same way (at least not with the same intensity as you do). Their games sells A LOT and people seems to love it nonetheless. Is it flawed? Sure... but they're still GREAT products.

Is not that I couldn't stand the game. The game was trying hard to make not play it. Crashed so much my PS4 that I was afraid of damaging it. Only at that point my brother suggested a refund and at that time I already knew about the Sony stupid policy of "not giving refunds".

You can say all you want, its not like I'm trying to change your mind. I know what company I'm dealing because of my personnal experience, and from that I have all the confidence to tell they're lazy as fuck. Couldn't give a damn about stupid console wars or "how much they sell". Skyrim sold gazillions, probably I'm one of them in that number. Doesnt change the fact that the game is a glitchfest and only someone whos blind doesn't see that.

Top Bottom