• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Know What You Did Last Summer Sequel in the works with original cast.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Robinson.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Following the successful relaunch of Scream, Sony Pictures is looking to blow new life in to its own slasher franchise as sources tell Deadline that Jennifer Kaytin Robinson has been tapped to direct a I Know What You Did Last Summer sequel, with Jennifer Love Hewitt and Freddie Prinze Jr in talks to reprise their roles. Insiders say the project is still early development and that Neal H. Moritz is in talks to return as producer, with Leah McKendrick on board to write the script.

Sony had no comment on the project.

The original pic follows four young friends bound by a tragic accident who are reunited when they find themselves being stalked by a hook-wielding maniac in their small seaside town. The original was a hit and not only led to a sequel but also launched the careers of Hewitt, Prinze, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Ryan Phillippe. Plot details for this latest installment are still unknown.

While McKendrick is penning the pic, the idea for the new film came from Robinson and McKendrick, who blew away studio execs when they pitched this idea for a sequel last fall especially given the recent success of the Scream franchise. That film was recently relaunched with original cast members returning, and the idea of bringing back original castmembers to draw in old-school fans while also adding fresh faces to relaunch the series was too good for the studio to pass up. Another big factor was the recent success of Robinson’s Netflix pic Do Revenge, which was lauded for its throwbacks to late-’90s pics like Cruel Intentions and was something execs knew Robinson could tap into when developing the new story.
MSDIKNW_CO001.jpg

Sony also saw it important to not reboot the franchise but do a sort of “passing of the torch”-type sequel where original castmembers are brought back as a new generation cast members are added to the ensemble, similar to films like Scream or Creed. Once the idea was pitched by Robinson and McKendrick, the next step was getting Hewitt and Prinze back on board, which the two were game for after hearing the pitch.

For Robinson, Do Revenge was her most recent directing outing and earned her high marks for a first-time filmmaker. Prior to that, she was a writer on Marvel’s Thor: Love and Thunder and was a consulting producer on Hawkeye.

Outside the Marvel universe, Robinson also penned Unpregnant for HBO Max and her directing debut for Netflix was Someone Great. She is repped by CAA and Gotham Group.

McKendrick wrote, produced and co-starred in the vigilante thriller M.F.A. alongside Francesca Eastwood, which premiered at SXSW. Leah’s rom-com feature Voicemails For Isabelle was preempted by Sony and landed her on The Black List in 2019. She is repped by UTA, Kaplan Perrone and VanderKloot Law.

Love Hewitt and Prinze are repped by Gersh. Hewitt is also repped by Vault Entertainment, and Prinze by Brillstein Entertainment.

I actually liked the first two, hopefully they don't fuck it up.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I wouldn't mind a sequel to Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the 13th. It released just a few months after a similar movie that was almost called Scream If You Know What I Did Last Halloween, before that was renamed with the title that was originally going to be used for Scream, Scary Movie.

Reactions: TGO

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
While we're on the subject of the film I have to give credit where it is due.
I noticed when I watch the 4K version of IKWYDLS that Jennifer Love Hewitt can scream, and I mean really scream.
She got a set of lungs on her....in more then one way

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This one always had a better premise to me versus something like SCREAM which just felt like it was lecturing me on my tastes in cinema (especially the newest one, holy funk that one was bad).

. . .that said, I feel like that campy era of the late 90's/early aughts is just kinda. . .over?

SJRB

Gold Member
I rewatched the original just last Halloween and it holds up pretty good. Its levels of schlock are perfect.

Also helps that Jennifer Love Hewitt looks insanely good in the movie. Like distractingly good. Which is interesting because I feel during that time Sarah Michelle Gellar was definitely the "eye candy" for the movie but man, JLH is like 6 tiers hotter.

HAYA8U5A

Like usual with these things I am not overly optimistic but will still be giving it a go hoping for the best. Hopefully it leads to the second getting an UHD Blu-ray release too since I hate when only the first movie of series ends up with a physical release.

Reactions: TGO

kunonabi

I rewatched the original just last Halloween and it holds up pretty good. Its levels of schlock are perfect.

Also helps that Jennifer Love Hewitt looks insanely good in the movie. Like distractingly good. Which is interesting because I feel during that time Sarah Michelle Gellar was definitely the "eye candy" for the movie but man, JLH is like 6 tiers hotter.
It's weird, Gellar is the emotional core of the film that you empathize with and Hewitt is the eye candy, and is certainly shot to show that off, which is like the total opposite of how their character roles should have functioned.

That's why the sequel didn't work since you don't care about anybody as much as you did Gellar and they focused way less on Hewitt's extreme hotness.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yawn. The same movie with the same actors but older!

SMG was my biggest Hollywood crush for a good minute.

Anyways passssssssss

Hewitt twins? In. I'm not talking about a single pair either. Let's go some Freaky Friday mother daughter body swap twist too. A sequel should double up.

Top Bottom