• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i like cyberpunk and im glad that its doing well but

samoilaaa

i just hope that the success wont make them screw things with witcher 4 too , cyberpunk has very few bugs now and runs great , ok but still it doesnt make it the game that it was suposed to be , things are missing like :

- "We've greatly enhanced our crowd and community systems to create the most believable city in any open-world game to date , the city streets are bustling with crowds of people from all facets of life, all living their lives, with a full day/night cycle." ,
"According to new CDPR interviews, Cyberpunk 2077's new real-time AI systems will allow for incredible dynamism. Thousands of NPCs will have actual daily routines throughout Night City's six districts, including a ton of robust and varied characters with cyborg implants, unique designs and animations, and day and night cycles." all we got is zombie AI

- "Today in a interview with CD Projekt RED's Senior Level Designer Miles Tost appeared on fansite NetRunner 2077. Tost described Cyberpunk 2077 as a 'much deeper' roleplaying experience compared to the studio's acclaimed The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. customization and equipment choices, making choices in the skills you have, the talents, how your character looks, how you choose dialogue, it's the center stage of this experience " , its not even close , its barely an rpg

- "The studio’s Senior Quest Designer, Philipp Weber, touched on this during a recent Q&A session on CD Projekt’s community forums. Weber explained that each of the three Lifepath options allowed the development team to explore nonlinear narrative options in myriad ways. As such, the roleplay possibilities for players are numerous, and will hopefully encourage fans to play Cyberpunk 2077 more than once " , lifepath doesnt change at all the way the game is played , i dont know why they even bothered to add it

I hope that cdpr will make witcher 4 ( or whatever the name will be ) a true rpg like cyberpunk should have been , maybe the fact that they use Unreal engine 5 will make development easier so they can achieve what they want , although i think that witcher 4 will be just as much of an rpg as cyberpunk because why would they improve it , they made alot of money with such a shallow product theres no reason to change , people will preorder the witcher 4 the moment its gonna be available

Last edited:

samoilaaa

The Witcher 3 was barely an RPG either, though, and it's still the best one.
well yeah , its not an rpg as deep as divinity original sin 2 or wasteland 3 but still the dialog option are a little more diverse and made you feel like they have an impact , ( even if alot of times it was just an illusion ) , in cyberpunk i feel like im playing fallout 4 , why even make choose , whats the point ?

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
well yeah , its not an rpg as deep as divinity original sin 2 or wasteland 3 but still the dialog option are a little more diverse and made you feel like they have an impact , ( even if alot of times it was just an illusion ) , in cyberpunk i feel like im playing fallout 4 , why even make choose , whats the point ?

Cyberpunk is an RPG in gameplay more than dialogue. It's an immersive sim and you are free to tackle missions how and whenever u want, guns blazing, stealth, long range cyberhacking, ninja, etc. In that regards its system is a true rpg, more than a ton of other games that call themselves rpg's.

They did lie about a lot of features so yeah....

Last edited:
It's doing well, but probably not what thry expected. The blow they took to their image was massive and I doubt they're going to repeat those mistakes.

Prior to Cyberpunk, CDPR had a well-earned great reputation. They did things for a huge AAA games that we often thought as impossible. It made it all the more shocking they, if all companies, released Cyberpunk in the state that they did.

The biggest mistake was sticking to releasing the game in PS4/XB1. They felt obligated to, but it simply wasn't worth it in the end. This won't be a concern with Witcher 4.

To your first point, they couldn't do what they wanted because they decided that the game had to run on a shitty tablet CPU from 2012. It was a big mistake and I bet they won't make it again.

Madflavor

It is bullshit that the actual game wasn't what was being marketed, but it's still a great game at this point. People need to appreciate Cyberpunk 2077 for what it is, rather than what it isn't. It had it's fans from the beginning, and obviously that fanbase is growing now that the game has been improved and is in the middle of a resurgence. Will this continue a trend when it comes to TW4 and the CP sequel? I have no idea. To me Cyberpunk 2077 is an action rpg, and I'd be fine if the sequel were the same, so long as it's good.

As for how the game was managed, I doubt they'd make the same mistake twice. Comeback or not, they took a massive hit for how poorly the game was launched. They make have turned in a profit, but their reputation and stock were damaged, and they didn't sell nearly as many copies as they could have. So I hope nobody gets it twisted that just because the game is having a comeback, doesn't mean CDPR thinks they can do the exact same thing again and "get away with it".

The game is a first person action adventure game with as much build choice as most Sony First party games. It's not an rpg and once you come to terms with that it's more enjoyable. But it sucks because night city is such a good playground and makes me wish we had more impact on it as a whole. All these gangs and I cant join them, or wipe one out? Theres just so little choice and consequence it the game it hardly classifies as an rpg.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
im really curious to see if in the expansion the AI will be different considering they are doing only current gen versions

AI-wise doubt it. That would require a lot of recoding from ground up separate from the main game. What they'll do instead is have a separate open-ended world/zone where you'll most likely be able to explore interiors on a very large scale. I mean thats my wish, imagine going in one of those megabuildings, and having the freedom to explore it everywhere, like some cool-ass metroidvania level design but vertical.

Don't worry. They'll screw up witcher 4 for reasons unrelated to cyberpunk.

Don't think of CDPR as the developer that made witcher 3 all those years ago, they are very different now

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077 more than I thought I would even tho I’m not exactly biggest WRPG fan.

Enjoyed the game enough that I will buy expansion and even sequel, but Cyberpunk is my first and last WRPG I play, I wont play Witcher series or other WRPG games like Fallout or any other Bethesda games.

My biggest draw towards Cyberpunk 2077 was its setting, in fact I would say this game close I ever got to play actual Ghost in the Shell game.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Honestly all of the stuff you said is in the game

-NPC routines: There are tons. Not all of them of course - people walking around on the road are just randomly spawned - but the stationary ones do have routines.
-It is a deeper role playing game than The Witcher 3 as they said, there are no doubts here. Not the deepest RPG out there of course but still more of an RPG than The Witcher games were.
-Lifepaths do give extra ways to complete some missions. Admitedly it doesn't make deep changes to the storyline, but its still good to have them there so V feels more personal.

Guilty_AI

My biggest draw towards Cyberpunk 2077 was its setting, in fact I would say this game close I ever got to play actual Ghost in the Shell game.
Shall i interest you in our lord and savior Deus Ex?

p1ekkg3sxl731.png

Danjin44

-It is a deeper role playing game than The Witcher 3 as they said, there are no doubts here. Not the deepest RPG out there of course but still more of an RPG than The Witcher games were.
You are right about that, before playing I thought this game mostly going play like a FPS but you can build your character that exclusively uses melee combat or specialize in hacking.

But I do wish some implants would show on the character itself, I really thought when get Sandevistan it would show on your character’s back like Edgerunners but it doesn’t. You only see changes in character’s hand.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
i just hope that the success wont make them screw things with witcher 4 too , cyberpunk has very few bugs now and runs great , ok but still it doesnt make it the game that it was suposed to be , things are missing like :

- "We've greatly enhanced our crowd and community systems to create the most believable city in any open-world game to date , the city streets are bustling with crowds of people from all facets of life, all living their lives, with a full day/night cycle." ,
"According to new CDPR interviews, Cyberpunk 2077's new real-time AI systems will allow for incredible dynamism. Thousands of NPCs will have actual daily routines throughout Night City's six districts, including a ton of robust and varied characters with cyborg implants, unique designs and animations, and day and night cycles." all we got is zombie AI

- "Today in a interview with CD Projekt RED's Senior Level Designer Miles Tost appeared on fansite NetRunner 2077. Tost described Cyberpunk 2077 as a 'much deeper' roleplaying experience compared to the studio's acclaimed The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. customization and equipment choices, making choices in the skills you have, the talents, how your character looks, how you choose dialogue, it's the center stage of this experience " , its not even close , its barely an rpg

- "The studio’s Senior Quest Designer, Philipp Weber, touched on this during a recent Q&A session on CD Projekt’s community forums. Weber explained that each of the three Lifepath options allowed the development team to explore nonlinear narrative options in myriad ways. As such, the roleplay possibilities for players are numerous, and will hopefully encourage fans to play Cyberpunk 2077 more than once " , lifepath doesnt change at all the way the game is played , i dont know why they even bothered to add it

I hope that cdpr will make witcher 4 ( or whatever the name will be ) a true rpg like cyberpunk should have been , maybe the fact that they use Unreal engine 5 will make development easier so they can achieve what they want , although i think that witcher 4 will be just as much of an rpg as cyberpunk because why would they improve it , they made alot of money with such a shallow product theres no reason to change , people will preorder the witcher 4 the moment its gonna be available
Cyberpunk 2077 will eventually be remembered as the first Witcher is. A horrible game, but that will be by comparison to the much better games they'll put out in the series: Witcher 2 was a big leap forward, as was Witcher 3. I expect the same from the new games. Perhaps not the next one, because porting what they currently have to UE5 will take its toll on the project, but from the third onward it will be clear skies.

I personally like the game a lot, it's open world Deus Ex and there isn't anyone doing that now, but there's definitely room for improvement. The game can expand the gangs, implementing a San Andreas/STALKER: Clear Sky warring factions system, the vehicle combat is still missing but incoming for the current game... They know all of this too, so it's a matter of time and finding someone willing to finance the projects.

-Zelda-

Banned
I made the mistake of pre ordering this game on base ps4 way back then and I have never had a game crash on me in a two week period that many times, not even Skyrim. That being said, I am very much looking forward to a "complete edition" on PS5 when it finally drops prob sometime after it's dlc, and also wanting Witcher 3 on PS5 as well. I also hope Witcher 4 is good.

EDMIX

I made the mistake of pre ordering this game on base ps4 way back then and I have never had a game crash on me in a two week period that many times, not even Skyrim. That being said, I am very much looking forward to a "complete edition" on PS5 when it finally drops prob sometime after it's dlc, and also wanting Witcher 3 on PS5 as well. I also hope Witcher 4 is good.

Same. Will wait for that DLC drop, police AI patch and a good year after to make sure it runs ,works, can not crash every 2 seconds lol

Danjin44

Same. Will wait for that DLC drop, police AI patch and a good year after to make sure it runs ,works, can not crash every 2 seconds lol
I put around 70 hours in to the game in my PS5 I only had 2 crashes but the game buggy, not game breaking but it does sometime take you out of the experience.

EDMIX

I put around 70 hours in to the game in my PS5 I only had 2 crashes but the game buggy, not game breaking but it does sometime take you out of the experience.

Good to know that at least is less the prior. It will be a while until I replay it as I also put around 70 hours or so into it and wish those fixes, changes and corrections where part of that experience. That might make sense for some online MP type title, but for a single player title...you only get 1 chance to make that first impression and I can't just take back that first playthrough.

Why should I wait years to replay a game and pretend the last playthrough didn't exist all so they can do some early access game? Seeing years go by shows just how broken this game really was as I never expect for it to be this long and them still trying to address so many things. Its simply not worth my time and I'd rather just play other newer RPGs that are actually complete, not waiting years for features that should be in a game day 1.

So...maybe 2024 might be an opening to replay it or something.

Roni

Gold Member

Does the staggering blows perk works yet?

ungalo

The question is, why would you expect a true RPG from CDPR when they didn't make a single one and you got plenty of studios that will give you that ?

Even when they were small they never made deep RPGs lol. It's not like they did some kind of sellout for casual gamers like Bethesda did (although i still like Bethesda games), The Witcher 1 was way more shallow than Cyberpunk or The Witcher 3.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The question is, why would you expect a true RPG from CDPR when they didn't make a single one and you got plenty of studios that will give you that ?

Even when they were small they never made deep RPGs lol. It's not like they did some kind of sellout for casual gamers like Bethesda did (although i still like Bethesda games), The Witcher 1 was way more shallow than Cyberpunk or The Witcher 3.
What's with all this dumb talk about The Witcher 3 not being an RPG? What about it makes you think it's not? It may not be the deepest one out there, but it's certainly an RPG.

samoilaaa

What's with all this dumb talk about The Witcher 3 not being an RPG? What about it makes you think it's not? It may not be the deepest one out there, but it's certainly an RPG.
well according to some rpg players an rpg must have :
-character creation
-choice and consequence
-ability to do different builds
-a progression/leveling system
-non linear level design

so if a game ( in this case witcher 3 ) has only certain things from above then its not an rpg , its an action adventure game with rpg elements because you cant be who you want , you will always be geralt , a sword wielding witcher

skyrim is a game that lets you be what ever you want but it doesnt have any choice and consequence , you actions do not affect the world around you so its an action adventure game with rpg elements

This is what rpg diehards are saying , i dont know if its correct , i dont care , just because a game is more or less an rpg doesnt make it more or less fun for me

for my personal taste i want my rpgs to have alot of choice and consequence like wasteland 3

Acidjuice

Neo Member
From what it sounds like, it actually hit on all of those points besides the last one. As far as lifepath choice differences, there are pretty much none besides some special dialogue options that don't really matter.

But as far as the AI its actually pretty good and does make it feel like a city full of people who are doing things. Idk if you expected each NPC to have a special quest for you or something but thats not very realistic. The closest example I can think of is Watch Dogs: Legion and they had to make that the main mechanic of the game for it to work, and even then its pretty stale.

Also I don't get the RPG debate, its for sure a role playing game. FF7 never gave you dialogue that influenced how the story played out in a signifigant way and few other RPGs do either. With the expectations some of you have Elden Ring isn't a RPG because the endings are inconsequential.

samoilaaa

From what it sounds like, it actually hit on all of those points besides the last one. As far as lifepath choice differences, there are pretty much none besides some special dialogue options that don't really matter.

But as far as the AI its actually pretty good and does make it feel like a city full of people who are doing things. Idk if you expected each NPC to have a special quest for you or something but thats not very realistic. The closest example I can think of is Watch Dogs: Legion and they had to make that the main mechanic of the game for it to work, and even then its pretty stale.

Also I don't get the RPG debate, its for sure a role playing game. FF7 never gave you dialogue that influenced how the story played out in a signifigant way and few other RPGs do either. With the expectations some of you have Elden Ring isn't a RPG because the endings are inconsequential.
the thing is that video role playing games started by being heavily based on tabletop so ofc they had alot of choice and consequence and it became one of the main features of RPGs , but in time the genre split into alot of branches , the older people that got to play the really old rpgs continued to clasify a game as an rpg by using the old criteria while newer generations just started using the newer standards

we have reached a point where if you can level up and add new skills then the game is an rpg

" Because of these differences, the role-playing genre began to be classified into two fairly distinct styles: computer RPG and console RPG.[25][52][53][Note 1]

By the early 2000s, the distinction between platforms became less pronounced as the same games appeared on both console and computer, but stylistic differences between Western role-playing games (WRPGs) and Japanese role-playing games (JRPGs) remained, rooted in the earlier distinctions.[54] Though sharing fundamental premises, WRPGs tend to feature darker graphics, older characters, and a greater focus on roaming freedom, realism, and the underlying game mechanics (e.g. "rules-based" or "system-based"[54]); whereas JRPGs tend to feature brighter, anime-like or chibi graphics, younger characters, turn-based or faster-paced action gameplay, and a greater focus on tightly-orchestrated, linear storylines with intricate plots (e.g. "action-based" or "story-based"[54]).[25][55][56][57][58][59][60] Further, WRPGs are more likely to allow players to create and customize characters from scratch,[61] and since the late 1990s have had a stronger focus on extensive dialog tree systems (e.g. Planescape: Torment).[62] On the other hand, JRPGs tend to limit players to developing pre-defined player characters, and often do not allow the option to create or choose one's own playable characters or make decisions that alter the plot.[60][Note 2] In the early 1990s, JRPGs were seen as being much closer to fantasy novels,[64] but by the late 1990s had become more cinematic in style (e.g. Final Fantasy series). At the same time, WRPGs started becoming more novelistic in style (e.g. Planescape: Torment), but by the late 2000s had also adopted a more cinematic style (e.g. Mass Effect).[62] "

from wiki

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Alright, let's get some things straight.

Technically that quote is true. There is an element of routine to NPCs, for example with shopkeepers, who hang around their market stands during the day and leave at night, or people hanging around the streets and having random conversations with each other or on the phone. It's not nearly as sensational as the blurb would make you believe, it's similar to what Witcher 3 already had at best, but it's there.

Opinion. Everything that's described in this paragraph is in the game, and that's indisputable. Check out some of the character build videos on Youtube and the crazy shit people do with this game's combat. That's definitely a step above Witcher 3 and one aspect of the game where even marketing doesn't need to hype it up.

Here's a full guide on lifepath and differences it provides.

So again - opinion. These choices do change the game in some ways, just not in to the level that you likely expected it to. They say it's mainly for the role-playing aspect, and in that regard it does the job because different background gives you a completely different prologue and you get a bunch of different dialogue options and speech checks, as well as handful of side missions, character interactions, and random encounters that are exclusive to your life path. Nowhere does it say that it would make the main story branch out into completely different threads or fundamentally change the experience or whatever.

---

Now look, I too would prefer if this game surpassed even my wildest imagination of what these systems should do and how they would affect the experience. But at some point you have to factor in your own hype and the need to temper it when looking at previews. You can't just imagine some wild dream-game based on a couple of embellished marketing blurbs and then go around saying that the developer lied when reality pulls you back to the ground.

Of course, this still doesn't excuse the state that the game was in at launch, but let's not overdo it with the "false advertising" stuff, m'kay?

Last edited:

samoilaaa

Alright, let's get some things straight.

Technically that quote is true. There is an element of routine to NPCs, for example with shopkeepers, who hang around their market stands during the day and leave at night, or people hanging around the streets and having random conversations with each other or on the phone. It's not nearly as sensational as the blurb would make you believe, it's similar to what Witcher 3 already had at best, but it's there.

Opinion. Everything that's described in this paragraph is in the game, and that's indisputable. Check out some of the character build videos on Youtube and the crazy shit people do with this game's combat. That's definitely a step above Witcher 3 and one aspect of the game where even marketing doesn't need to hype it up.

Here's a full guide on lifepath and differences it provides.

So again - opinion. These choices do change the game in some ways, just not in to the level that you likely expected it to. They say it's mainly for the role-playing aspect, and in that regard it does the job because different background gives you a completely different prologue and you get a bunch of different dialogue options and speech checks, as well as handful of side missions, character interactions, and random encounters that are exclusive to your life path. Nowhere does it say that it would make the main story branch out into completely different threads or fundamentally change the experience or whatever.

---

Now look, I too would prefer if this game surpassed even my wildest imagination of what these systems should do and how they would affect the experience. But at some point you have to factor in your own hype and the need to temper it when looking at previews. You can't just imagine some wild dream-game based on a couple of embellished marketing blurbs and then go around saying that the developer lied when reality pulls you back to the ground.

Of course, this still doesn't excuse the state that the game was in at launch, but let's not overdo it with the "false advertising" stuff, m'kay?
the link that you put proves exactly my point life path changes useless things while the important ones dont

to give you an idea what an deep rpg means , me and my other 2 friends played baldur's gate 3 early access and we each had a different playthrough because of our choices , different outcomes , different party , different builds , different paths we took , we each solved the quests in our own way , and that was just act 1 , we didnt even get to reach the city

so dont tell me that a game "must surpass even my wildest imagination of what these systems should do " to be a good rpg when good rpgs already exist , thats what happens when you spend ur budget on movie stars , dick size slider , ray tracing , path tracing and whatever graphical gimmick there is instead of focusing on important game mechanics

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
the link that you put proves exactly my point life path changes useless things while the important ones dont

to give you an idea what an deep rpg means , me and my other 2 friends played baldur's gate 3 early access and we each had a different playthrough because of our choices , different outcomes , different party , different builds , different paths we took , we each solved the quests in our own way , and that was just act 1 , we didnt even get to reach the city

so dont tell me that a game "must surpass even my wildest imagination of what these systems should do " to be a good rpg when good rpgs already exist , thats what happens when you spend ur budget on movie stars , dick size slider , ray tracing , path tracing and whatever graphical gimmick there is instead of focusing on important game mechanics
That's all fine and dandy but these are still just your expectations and not the game that CDPR set out to make. I don't see anything in that quote that could even refer to what you're saying, let alone serve as a proof that they lied or whatever. And again - it's a matter of opinion because I found the differences between different life paths meaningful enough. Did you complain about Mass Effect too when it gave you an option to select your character's personal story, which then basically amounted to a single quest that was unique to that build? Were you also crying for false advertising when this personal story didn't allow you to complete quests in a variety of different ways?

And speaking of, who told you that you cannot approach quests in CP2077 in different ways and with different character builds? It's entirely possible to do stuff in this game that doesn't involve shooting, you know.

Top Bottom