• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love my PS5, but this has to be the worst design ever produced

RAIDEN1

The fact that its catalogue of games is weak, currently..(so far I have not seen anything on the system that says to me shut-up and take my money) along with its mammoth design and next to useless backward compatibility means I am quite happy to wait for the slim line version (all being well it comes out in 2023) .....meanwhile on Series X you can enjoy the joys of Dead or Alive Ultimate 2 a game from 2001 that still looks good today! (And a great fighter was well)

Drew1440

I take the sleek blandness of an average AV receiver over this gamer aesthetic any time of the day. Hopefully the mid-gen refresh generates less heat and the PS5 fits in a Series S-sized box.
I wish Sony would release a premium looking PS console, something that looks in line with their high end bluray players, complete with a front panel display that shows the fps or the apu temperature.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The fact that its catalogue of games is weak, currently..(so far I have not seen anything on the system that says to me shut-up and take my money) along with its mammoth design and next to useless backward compatibility means I am quite happy to wait for the slim line version (all being well it comes out in 2023) .....meanwhile on Series X you can enjoy the joys of Dead or Alive Ultimate 2 a game from 2001 that still looks good today! (And a great fighter was well)

So the "catalogue of games is weak" but you use a game from 2001 that you play on your refrigerator X as a counter point...

Ron Burgundy Laughing GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Nice hyperbolic title OP. Made me click.

Now fuzz off.
Did you just click or did you read?

If you did read, are you trying to say that a console that requires a special stand regardless of orientation and one that can't rest in a stable horizonal position is a good thing?

RAIDEN1

So the "catalogue of games is weak" but you use a game from 2001 that you play on your refrigerator X as a counter point...

Ron Burgundy Laughing GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden
What I am saying is thanks to its strong backward compatibility and the fact that it has the ability to even enhance games from the back catalogue is another plus point, where as the PS5 doesn't even provide that ability beyond the PS4...I should have put that as a seperate point, though I stand by what I said the catalogue for me is weak...here's hoping 2023 is distinctly a better year for Sony's behemoth

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What I am saying is thanks to its strong backward compatibility and the fact that it has the ability to even enhance games from the back catalogue is another plus point, where as the PS5 doesn't even provide that ability beyond the PS4...I should have put that as a seperate point, though I stand by what I said the catalogue for me is weak...here's hoping 2023 is distinctly a better year for Sony's behemoth

Well.....that is your opinion and that's fine, but PS4 by itself has an incredible back library of games. If we are talking backwards compatibility then personally, I'd rather have PS4 versus the entire Xbox back library. It is just that good. But that's me. I have XSX because Microsoft finally fixed their first party problem and is competitive again.

I wonder how what percentage of people place their consoles vertically. It seems like a vast majority would have them horizontal so it seems weird that both consoles are designed to look better vertical.
Mines sat vertical because it just looks better that way imo.

assurdum

Banned
The PS5's design is the worst design for one reason and one reason only: Coil Whine. I could deal with the Xbox 360 fans. I had little issue with the PS4 pro sounding like a jet taking off. But that awful, atrocious noise coming from the PS5 makes it nearly unplayable if you sit anywhere near close. Comparing it to the Series S or X is just straigth up embarrassing. Those machines are whisper quiet.
Really now? it's an ugly noise but worse of the jet engine of the pro? You can't be serious. I have to low the TV sound to the minimum in a room enough silent to hear it.

Last edited:
Looks much better vertically. I think it looks pretty good. Those of you calling it the ugliest designed console ever must be very young. The jaguar was shit. The og xbox was shit. Og ps3 was shit. Wii u was shit. Come on now.

The OG PS3 looked natural when it sat horizontally, the position that 90% of gamers have it in. It also was stable AF (queue the meme) horizontally

Last edited:

Tams

Did you just click or did you read?

If you did read, are you trying to say that a console that requires a special stand regardless of orientation and one that can't rest in a stable horizonal position is a good thing?
It's a home console. Needing a special stand is no obstacle snd in return it's not just another dull box.

And you can buy a cheap third party one, or 3D print yourself one if you cared enough.

anthony2690

Banned
Looks much better vertically. I think it looks pretty good. Those of you calling it the ugliest designed console ever must be very young. The jaguar was shit. The og xbox was shit. Og ps3 was shit. Wii u was shit. Come on now.

I actually think all the other consoles are better looking that you mentioned.

Jaguar is the worst games console I've ever owned though, I hated cyber morph so much as a kid, we got rid of the jaguar very quickly.

Outlier

I love the look.
In fact; I love it so much that I have it resting behind my tv, where I can barely see it. :^)

Seriously I do like it.

Last edited:
One thing I will say for it is that I opened it up to put a SSD in a few weeks ago and had the stuff ready to clean out all the dust but there wasn't a speck of dust in there.

I dust pretty often but even my pc with dust filters gets some dust. Not sure if it is a fluke because of when I have it or if this is normal.

Sacred

Yeah the PS5 design is laughably hideous, I really like the look of the Series X especially the limited edition designs like the Halo edition.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
It's a home console. Needing a special stand is no obstacle snd in return it's not just another dull box.

And you can buy a cheap third party one, or 3D print yourself one if you cared enough.
I honestly can't tell if you are sincere or not.

The console shouldn't be as risk of sliding around or tilting over just because you were trying to push the eject button. If you can't see that as a design flaw, then I don't know what else to say.

As far as looks, the visual presence is the least important aspect. I have it to enjoy my hobby, not spice up the decor.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I feel you, my youngest just started crawling.
bXqx7ES.png
Lol just a warning, my youngest LOVED to pull those tiles apart and chew on them. She would’ve been all over that. Plus you don’t want them to try and pull themselves up only to have it flop over.

Might be better off with a fireplace gate or something like that. Good luck!

Gravemind

Yeah, probably the ugliest console design I can remember. Diskless version isn't as bad, but the disk tray version is an absolute abomination.

Last edited:
I bought for each gen :
- PS3 slim
- PS4 pro.

Since i'm not convinced byvthe current ps5 design, i think i'll wait for ps5 redesign. I don't know if i'll manage to wait this long... Note sûre.

please dont make the slim version somehow uglier/wonkier.

for the record:
ps1 = cool
ps2 = cool
ps3 fat = cool (though a bit much)
ps3 slim - ps4 pro = meh/ugly
ps5 = lol

Last edited:

WitchHunter

It is definitely a divisive design, but I don't have a problem with it at all. I agree with others that it looks much better vertically.

Looks pretty damn good in my room though.....

2PvQvp8.jpg

How? The stand is screwed onto the console. Or is it horizontal for you?
Oh jesus, the individual trapped by the RGB lobby.

Last edited:
it's easily the ugliest and worst designed console of all time, imo. lmfao i remember thinking the PS4 Pro was stupid looking and thinking there's no way the PS5 will look this bad. i guess i was right in a way. it doesn't look that bad it looks worse!

i hope the PS5 Slim has a sane design but i doubt it cause slim revisions usually share design elements....they're just smaller (d'uh). on a slightly positive note i'd actually be impressed if Sony managed to make a worse looking console but hey i said that once before.....if i ever get a PS5 i'm gonna hate having to look at it. i'll probably hide it behind the TV and get the digital version so i don't need to look at it when putting discs in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom