• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love my PS5, but this has to be the worst design ever produced

Calverz

Coil whine on ps5 is annoying as hell but is it far from a loud sounds. Play with an average sound, it's hard to notice. Outside you use a pc monitor and you have to stay very close to the ps5.
I agree. But the fanny above is trying to deflect from the original issue.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Rhyuuke
Xbox Ambassador
Replied on May 19, 2021
It is totally normal, many users have reported this, there is nothing to worry about, the noise is related to your electrical network, the network noises do not affect and do not harm the console, have a good game :)

Yeah can totally imagine the odd xbox having issues with coil whine. Any electrical device has the potential. I think its just far more common with the ps5.

Last edited:
My furniture is brown and then there’s my blazing white PS5, so, I added some white candles below to help ease the single eyesore, it now matches something.

I have some red, so, red Deadpool candle actually matches some stuff on the other side.
jAojXfN.jpg

Last edited:

lachesis

I don't necessarily mind the design. I have my doubts, but it is what it is.
I still think PS3 Super Slim being the ugliest console ever.
I however do mind the size though. It's quite large.

And the base. I wish they could have found a way to keep it fixed on horizontal format.
It wobbles around every time I move a slightest bit to manage the cable in the back (for adding more consoles or connections to it or whatnot...

FrankWza

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Yalls ps5's make noise?
I can't hear my PS5 when it's in my living room entertainment unit, 10 feet away from my couch, but I can hear it when it's on my office desk a foot away from me. It's kinda annoying when there is no sound and right next to me, but I wouldn't call it loud, just notably audible. My XSS is barely audible a foot away in my office by comparison and not annoying, plus it is very stable since it is literally a shoebox shape.

ParaSeoul

My furniture is brown and then there’s my blazing white PS5, so, I added some white candles below to help ease the single eyesore, it now matches something.

I have some red, so, red Deadpool candle actually matches some stuff on the other side.
jAojXfN.jpg
You don't light those there right? Cause I don't think that would be a good idea.

Riky

$MSFT
Yes because SX has had more time to refine the overheating system, MS hadn't the problem to design a new GPU from the beginning, it was already available.

How was it "already available" , it's an APU for starters and no released RDNA2 part matches the Series X in Compute Units or clock speeds. Also the Series X has additional customisations in SFS filters and Core adjustments for ML.

SLB1904

Banned
I game on a monitor so I'm extremely close to mine. Don't really notice it unless I put my ear right up to it. Unlike my Pro which I can hear even with my headphones on at times.
Oof ps4 Pro was bad. It got to a point I didn't care if I brake it or not. I just opened it cleaned the heatsink which btw looked horrible it has a sponge(which i don't know what is for, at that point couldn't give a shit) removed it, it had loads of dust. Changed the thermal paste and bought a new fan( in retrospective I just wasted money, didnt really need it) and 3 years later still silent, sometimes it kicks the fan a bit but that's good for 3 years. No regrets

SteadyEvo

I have the DE with the original darkplates. Think it looks much better.

Z1nOTit.jpg
That’s clean. Is that the stand that comes with it???

Size wise the PS5 is despicable. The design is futuristic and I like the all white console and controller. Black is always the default or only option. Glad they mixed it up.

Digital edition looks 100% better but I need the disc drive for cheap used games. Had to make a business decision.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
That’s clean. Is that the stand that comes with it???

Size wise the PS5 is despicable. The design is futuristic and I like the all white console and controller. Black is always the default or only option. Glad they mixed it up.

I've found that it looks much more obnoxiously large in photographs. In person, I was kind of surprised that it wasn't nearly as clunky as it looked online. It's big, yeah, but I keep mine in the same place as my Pro used to be and there are no issues.

Ferdimage

Just got my PS5 a few days ago, I think the vertical design is pretty clean and does make a statement with the rest of my setup.
EDIT: Only thing I would say I'm disappointed with is the lack of 1440p support
GZrgpuo.jpeg

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yup my replacement PS5 has both coil whine and a melodic fan hum. My original PS5 had horrible coil whine which is why I got the replacement in the first place. Techtronics Fix did an awesome video about PS5 coil whine.

Just to confirm, the thread and OP was clear that this was just about aesthetics.
And we know any electronic device is susceptible to coil whine. You can read about one example here.

Rhyuuke
Xbox Ambassador
Replied on May 19, 2021
It is totally normal, many users have reported this, there is nothing to worry about, the noise is related to your electrical network, the network noises do not affect and do not harm the console, have a good game :)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
They could make panels for the Xbox series x we all know the ps6 and new Xbox are in production.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No but fanboys love to make a huge stink about any systems defects even if they are pretty small. It's just something you going to see.from both sides but it doesn't mean those issues don't exist. Just that they might be smaller than they appear.
The masters of fudperbole.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Like the issue on the installation of the NVME. It will exist for some people but it's not a matter of grave concern.
It was never an issue until another has proprietary. Storage has always been replaceable on Sony home consoles since the PS3. In fact, this has less steps to boot.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Just to confirm, the thread and OP was clear that this was just about aesthetics.
And we know any electronic device is susceptible to coil whine. You can read about one example here.
He is literally a proven liar around here. A moderator had to intervene to expose his wild claims previously.

Wouldn't pay to much attention to his claims. Unless he provides some sort of proof.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Because the only people who might dislike PS5's design are Xbox fanboys?
No but fanboys love to make a huge stink about any systems defects even if they are pretty small. It's just something you going to see.from both sides but it doesn't mean those issues don't exist. Just that they might be smaller than they appear.

My real issue was always with the puck/stand. Specifically, the way it isn't stable in horizontal configuration. I probably shouldn't have used the term aesthetic at all, but that plays into the need for the puck.

He is literally a proven liar around here. A moderator had to intervene to expose his wild claims previously.

Wouldn't pay to much attention to his claims. Unless he provides some sort of proof.
You're talking about DarkMage619 DarkMage619 right?

My real issue was always with the puck/stand. Specifically, the way it isn't stable in horizontal configuration. I probably shouldn't have used the term aesthetic at all, but that plays into the need for the puck.

I get it. For some reason Sony made the shell curved instead of flat. Unfortunately that makes it unstable in the horizontal position like you said. Sony could have made someone simpler that didn't require a stand but for some reason they didn't. Aesthetics is my guess.

But I personally believe the stand is a minor issue and not a major one.

Last edited:
Dude asked a question I answered. Pretty sure in either this thread or another I stated that I don't hate the PS5's look minus the easily scratched and smudge prone glossy section. Electronics should not have glossy plastic. The coil whine was just another added annoyance.

Worst looking console since the OG Xbox. Looks like it was designed by a special needs teenager.

Luckily I found a place for it where it’s out of sight and I don’t have to look at the monstrosity.

FrankWza

Ah. This sounds familiar. I also remember something about his series x needing to be warrantied but he didn’t write about it here.
That’s what new year resolutions are for. In the spirit of this time of year I’ll be pulling for him.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dude asked a question I answered. Pretty sure in either this thread or another I stated that I don't hate the PS5's look minus the easily scratched and smudge prone glossy section. Electronics should not have glossy plastic. The coil whine was just another added annoyance.
The XSX isn’t shiny and that thing is a fingerprint smudge sponge canvas as well.

Pro tip, dust your consoles and don’t finger them.

Last edited:

kingpotato

I personally believe the stand is a minor issue and not a major one.
The NEED for a stand is indeed minor, especially since it's provided free of charge with the console. But unfortunately the stand is poorly designed. Why for heaven's sake does the damn thing slide, tilt and pivot when you press the eject button to remove a disc?!?

Assuming I'll be able to get one, I'll be upgrading to a major hardware revision (or pro version) as soon as they are released.

The NEED for a stand is indeed minor, especially since it's provided free of charge with the console. But unfortunately the stand is poorly designed. Why for heaven's sake does the damn thing slide, tilt and pivot when you press the eject button to remove a disc?!?

Assuming I'll be able to get one, I'll be upgrading to a major hardware revision (or pro version) as soon as they are released.
Yeah, the stand I could sorts live with, but the fact that it doesn't actually fully destabilise motion is kinda sad hilarious.

Hoping they learn some lessons for the redesign.

Top Bottom