• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love when side characters help solve Puzzles!

SLB1904

Banned
This thread is a bit different than the one

"Why do Sony protagonists insist on not letting me solve puzzles myself?"

Anyway, I'm playing gow Ragnarok (who isnt)

Sometimes the solution for a puzzle it's on your face and you can't figure out.

Anyway I was doing a side quest with one of the character, and there was literally a gap on the ceiling but I couldn't see, I needed to go through there to have access to other room to open the door.
After about 10 min I was getting frustrated, than suddenly the character "kratos there is a gap here" it was literally in front of me.

Than I thought to myself. Thank god for that. At least you aren't a useless side character.

What you guys think.

Should the companion be like a puppet
Or a more realistic character and do things like you would expect.

Soodanim

Gold Member
For those times where you have a blind spot and you need a second pair of eyes, so as long as it's not overstepping I don't see a problem with inserting a hint in an organic way. It's better than getting annoyed because you can't see it and don't want to have to Google

Kuranghi

I don't mind it if it happens after a good few minutes, so if I'm hyper stoned then I don't get stuck. It's trash in some of the Horizon 2 main story missions, nearly ruins it for me because its so constant and comes about 14 picoseconds after you jump to a ledge or the like.

It's pretty cool in Uncharted: Lost Legacy when the other NPC finds some of the things in a puzzle but only after a minute or so, not sure if she finds them all if you take ages actually 🤔.

I've only played a few hours of GoW 2022, which means 45 mins of normal person playtime so can't say much about that, Atreus was giving a bit too much info too quickly in the sunny, mud swamp place though.

Game is cool so far though overall, what difficulty does everyone play at?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'd be ok with them solving them for me. And also doing crafting for me. And all the other tedious filler crap that developers put in their games.

SLB1904

Banned
I’m sorry OP but no. I’m a 30 year old father of 3 with barely any spare time, and even I’d rather search for help than have it spoon-fed to me. I won’t be a Sony apologist when they are introducing bad design choices. Toad was right, the hints are shite.
Your statement makes no sense what so ever. You said you barely have spare time. And you would rather search for help. You mean Google it? How is that not spoon fed 🤔

Banjo64

cumsessed
Your statement makes no sense what so ever. You said you barely have spare time. And you would rather search for help. You mean Google it? How is that not spoon fed 🤔
Because I’d rather spend 10 minutes trying to figure it out myself before googling it rather than Toad’s explanation which is that Atraius and other NPCs explain the puzzle within seconds of arriving. Just because I have limited time doesn’t mean I want no challenge whatsoever.

I_D

Anyway I was doing a side quest with one of the character, and there was literally a gap on the ceiling but I couldn't see, I needed to go through there to have access to other room to open the door.
After about 10 min I was getting frustrated, than suddenly the character "kratos there is a gap here" it was literally in front of me.

Than I thought to myself. Thank god for that. At least you aren't a useless side character.

What you guys think.

I agree. This is exactly how companions should be done.
The key point is timing. You were stuck for a while, so the game gave you a hint.

Tons of games get it wrong by giving you hints within just a few seconds of starting the puzzle.
Then other games get it wrong by making the companion not help at all.
Then other games ruin it entirely by making the companion a constant nuisance by speaking 24-7, or slowing your movement down, or turning the camera, or whatever else.

Instead, and maybe it's just random coincidence, but it kinda feels like some games can detect when you're wandering, such as GoW.

Other than Navi from OoT, I can't currently think of other examples. And it's a bad one, because Navi gets pretty darn annoying, despite being useful on occasion.
I suppose you could count Alex from HL2, or Ellie from TLoU, but I don't know if they really count as autonomically-useful since they're dictated by story beats.

I know I've played some games from time to time, which include randomly-useful NPCs, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. My gut tells me Witcher 3, or Fallout 3, or maybe Phantasy Star Online?

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
James Franco GIF

damidu

it should be an option, can be similar to uncharted games too, a prompt to press something before your companion opens their mouth when game detects you are struggling.

current trend got completely out of hand, games spoiling anything remotely puzzle like as soon as you enter an area.

SLB1904

Banned
You should drop the difficult mode: gimme movie then.
Nah I enjoy my puzzles. Sometimes you brain just farts and the solution it's in front of your nose. And you can't see. So I appreciate that.

And the risk of looking for the solution you bound to find spoilers.

SLB1904

Banned
Toad’s explanation which is that Atraius and other NPCs explain the puzzle within seconds of arriving. .
I'm over 20 hours and that never happen.
That's straight up bullshit

If you're having issues with God Of War puzzles then you might need some help.

It's like not being able to follow the plot of a Marvel movie.
Fuck off knob

Last edited:

Arachnid

I hate it. They should make it an option.

Shadow the Tomb Raiders puzzle difficulty options did it perfect. That, or more difficult riddles like Silent Hill. I hate wasting my time going through easy puzzles that may as well not even be there. I hate it even more when an NPC tells me the answer.

SLB1904

Banned
I hate it. They should make it an option.

Shadow the Tomb Raiders puzzle difficulty options did it perfect. That, or more difficult riddles like Silent Hill. I hate wasting my time going through easy puzzles that may as well not even be there. I hate it even more when an NPC tells me the answer.
Puzzle in gow aren't difficult at all. Most of them are just an extension of the first game.

So so far is pretty easy to go through them (for me) you try a few things and just works.

But in this case it was literally because I couldn't look up lol
So yeah appreciate when your companion figure that you are stuck and give a hint. Better than Google it.

Last edited:

damidu

Well I’ve not played it yet I’ve still got TLG and then Horizon Forbidden West next up on my to do list, but that’s what the other thread’s saying 🤷‍♂️
oh you are in for a treat with forbidden west, that is in a league of its own for puzzle spoiling.
don’t even remember thinking it was an issue in TLG
psychonauts2, forbidden west, plague2 and now ragnarok are the examples it got to a point of pissing me off.

it’s definitely becoming a trend.
whats more insulting is these games all have brain dead puzzles anyway.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Hey guys, come on, we found the one responsible of all this.

angry alison brie GIF by The Little Hours Movie

satan GIF

Let's judge him fairly.
Kill It With Fire GIF

BTW, I hate it, it should be a mandatory option called "extreme casual mode: ON|OFF" or "brain off mode: ON|OFF"

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Seems like those characters should just ridicule you when you don't figure it out if they're capable of doing so :d

Guess I'm the protagonist in this story after all Kratos or whoever, try and keep up, how are you still not seeing it?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My habit when I get new area is to fully explore before jumping to do any puzzles but its annoying to me when characters wont shut up about it, please let me explore before start nagging me about the damn puzzles, I will get to it.

sachos

It should be an option. Have it completly off, have it always on like is on the game now or have a "toggle" feature that after say 10 minutes a prompt shows up that says "ask for help" and have Kratos ask the NPC for help, or something like that.
But to me the real issue is the constant backseating during boss fights, "parry that attack!" "use your shield!" "dont stand there!"

Flutta

Banned
Why have puzzles if your not gona let players use their brain to solve them? What’s the point. Just remove them completely, they serve no purpose then other than padding out the game.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
These back and forth threads that are:
"I hate this particular thing"
"Well, I looove that particular thing!"

are getting a bit tiresome. State your opinion in the first thread. No need to create a whole post as an answer to it.

This one is meant to counter the negative Sony thread.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Having NPCs helping solve the scene is like playing a shooter game and sitting at the back of the group of AI grunts and letting them kill the enemy mobs.

Then when they are done with, you swoop in sprinting to the front of the line.

That's why teammate AI is dumb as rocks, there's respawning enemies, and they never take charge. You're the gamer. You're supposed to be one moving the game along.

What you guys think.

The problem is the characters don't wait 10 minutes. They don't wait 10 seconds. As soon as you get to the puzzle, they immediately tell you what to do.

Perhaps this was updated with today's patch?

SLB1904

Banned
The problem is the characters don't wait 10 minutes. They don't wait 10 seconds. As soon as you get to the puzzle, they immediately tell you what to do.

Perhaps this was updated with today's patch?
Don't know. Honestly I haven't had any problem like that. But again the puzzles are easy enough fir me that doesn't take long to figure. This example is one tgat I appreciate because I was getting frustrated.

Amen brother.

If you want puzzles play sodokooo or crosswords.

I want to get back to smashing bashing and goring my way through the game!
I feel like if the character is going to walk/rush you through a puzzle just remove the puzzle...lol. Why include a segment that is going to be rushed anyway.

Top Bottom