• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I loved AC Valhalla for the first 30 hours and now I don’t even want to finish it

Mossybrew

I spent probably a similar amount of hours in this game as in Odyssey, but enjoyed Odyssey a lot more. Trying to consider why, I think Odyssey had a more interesting main character, the combat was better, the loot was better, and the game world was just a more pleasant place to be compared to the often gloomy climate of England.

Bramble

The audio is so weird in these games and has been the last three (although I haven't played Odyssey but heard it's the same). They've got thousands of people making these games and not one person said, "Hey, the audio is kinda shit."

I like Valhalla but agree with everyone who says it's too much. I think I got 60% of the way through before Cyberpunk released then I dropped it. No urge to revisit the game at all.

Yeah man. I'm using pretty expensive in-ears and the audio is so weird. It's like the NPC's are in a tunnel and you're listening though a toiletpaper roll in mono. I found it incredible immersion breaking. I literally deleted the game after 30 minutes and requested a refund (physical edition, thank god).

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I put about 90 hours into it and I enjoyed very little of it. It just felt like a chore for everything I did. Not sure if it is factually bigger than Odyssey, but it felt that way. It felt like everything was so spread out and uninteresting and traveling felt more difficult. Odyssey felt to me like everything was some place I wanted to explore with very little wasted space. It also kept me more engaged and the scenery was so much prettier to look at.

Maybe it was also the format of it. Instead of one flowing direction it was like conquer this region conquer that region conquer the next region over and over. And there were so many it took fucking forever and I didn’t find the side stories interesting at all and they all had to have a raid on some fort which made it so repetitive and formulaic. I just got so tired of it I couldn’t wait to finish it.

I tried to do some of the side stuff but I only ended up doing the anomalies and the artifacts or whatever they were so I could get the best set of armor.

They really need to make these games smaller. They aren’t even pure RPGs so why try to make it like the Witcher when it isn’t The Witcher. It’s still an action adventure game at its core, it’s kind of a hybrid now.

And can AC games in future please stop the bullshit where wherever you go there’s always someone chasing you? For fucks sake, it’s annoying as hell especially if they’re open world. How about this. Making it smaller with each area more interesting and less bland with more places to visit and buildings to enter and not have every fucking guard chase after you when they see you. It would make it so much better. AC games are so damn frantic, while at the same time wanting you to run around and find shit with guys chasing you all the time, it’s a horrible combination.

Also I’m not sure why they continue to make climbing s significant aspect of the game. It was important in the originals because you didn’t have this massive arsenal of weapons to kill enemies with, in fact you were kinda supposed to avoid them. Now you can wipe out loads of a enemies, so it hurts the stealth aspect of the game it’s not even stealthy anymore. So why continue the climbing portion of it? It’s such a chore. They put a million towers in the game to climb and for some reason in Valhalla a bunch of them didn’t have obvious things to do the leap of faith to so I ended up jumping to my death way more times than any other AC game.

Either make the game stealthy again or eliminate the damn climbing all the time, it’s such a chore.

Last edited:

Redlight

Don't get Valhalla anytime soon, trust me it's a BIG downgrade coming from Odyssey and even Origins! Only get the base game if it's on deep sale or for around 40$ for the complete edition.
It's all so subjective though. I didn't like Odyssey all that much and Valhalla, though it has lots of flaws, still kept me playing for 160 hours or thereabouts.

I'm thinking they could fix a lot of this stuff if you could go to an options menu and turn off the activity sets that you don't like, maybe let the XP be distributed across the remaining activities, or choose a 'mainline the story' mode.

Last edited:
It's all so subjective though. I didn't like Odyssey all that much and Valhalla, though it has lots of flaws, still kept me playing for 160 hours or thereabouts.

I'm thinking they could fix a lot of this stuff if you could go to an options menu and turn off the activity sets that you don't like, maybe let the XP be distributed across the remaining activities, or choose a 'mainline the story' mode.
Of course everything is subjective, there are people who long for the days before Origins for example, in my case as I've stated before my reason for dropping the game is it's boring protagonist, characters, story, setting and lack of interesting loot.

TheStam

The problem with Assassin's Creed is that you can feel the conveyor belt approach they take to building these games. Is the any difference whatsoever between an NPC in a side quest here and one in Origins for instance personality wise even if they are from different cultures 1000 years apart? Everything feels the same just with a different layer of paint. Just replace "Holy <insert local god>! I've lost my cat!". The shitty side quests and general writing is probably my main gripe with the game, but even the combat is decent enough, the forts and other side activities just grinds you down too. None of these games come close to the heart of something like The Witcher 3 which they try to emulate. The main quest in Valhalla is also a slog with it just revolving around "liberating" region after region.. at least 50 hours in.

Top Bottom