• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I made a timeline of my journey with PC gaming

RickSanchez

2aUnvlK.jpg

Fahdis

My PC Journey:

1992 - Same as Yours
1993 / 2016 - Console Fanboy (MegaDrive 2, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PS Vita, PlayStation 4)
2017 - Same Build as Yours (Swore never to buy a Console Again)
2021 / Now - GeForce Now Ultimate & XCloud with S23 Ultra | Nreal Airs or Backbone for Mobile Gaming. M2 Mac Mini with Parallels Installed | LG CX for Large Screen Gaming (Swore never to buy an expensive Desktop PC Again)

Yea its been quite a ride.

Last edited:

amigastar

Interesting timeline, thx for that. reminds me of my journey back in the days with Wolfenstein 3D and F1 Grand Prix 1
1997 was GTA huge for me, loved that game and GTA is still my favourite game series of all time.
I just hope we will get more GTA content more frequenty this time like GTA 3 and Vice City and San Andreas.

Last edited:
My PC Journey:

1992 - Same as Yours
1993 / 2016 - Console Fanboy (MegaDrive 2, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PS Vita, PlayStation 4)
2017 - Same Build as Yours (Swore never to buy a Console Again)
2021 / Now - GeForce Now Ultimate & XCloud with S23 Ultra | Nreal Airs or Backbone for Mobile Gaming. M2 Mac Mini with Parallels Installed | LG CX for Large Screen Gaming (Swore never to buy an expensive Desktop PC Again)

Yea its been quite a ride.
So you're 100% streaming right now? How's the experience?

feynoob

PacificAssaultBox.jpg

I haven't had our PC until 2010.
I was mostly playing on PC cafe's during that time.

My first PC gaming was in 2014 with splinter cell conviction as a kickoff for the journey.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
NICE!
I like keeping score too. I have a folder with pictures from each year. Pics of my pc, new components, battlestation etc.
zWbrQmc.png

for example in 2007 folder:
k0CkIcI.jpg

IHHf7jA.jpg

edit: I really miss that 8800gts. It was a 320mb version and it fucking sucked because of that... you had to alt tab and back many games because they expected 512vram or this is how nvida reported it.,.. but it was extremely fast otherwise. I sold it and got 512 8800gt year later

Last edited:

RickSanchez

NICE!
I like keeping score too. I have a folder with pictures from each year. Pics of my pc, new components, battlestation etc.
zWbrQmc.png

for example in 2007 folder:
k0CkIcI.jpg

IHHf7jA.jpg

edit: I really miss that 8800gts. It was a 320mb version and it fucking sucked because of that... you had to alt tab and back many games because they expected 512vram or this is how nvida reported it.,.. but it was extremely fast otherwise. I sold it and got 512 8800gt year later
Ho lee shit. This is awesome dude. Now im jealous that i didn't think of doing this.

RickSanchez

I'll need to do this someday. Thanks for the idea, lol.
Go ahead! I made this very randomly on a Saturday night when i was feeling very nostalgic for my past hardware and past games. So i just fired up PowerPoint and put this together. Had to actually google couple of my old machines to look up the specs.

daninthemix

The first gaming PC I actually remember building was in 2011. It had an i5-2500k CPU and a GTX 570 iirc. But I also did a blingy RGB build back in 2004 mainly for emulation. No idea what hardware was in that.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Nice. I'm keeping a file folder on my hard drive that I've been maintaining ever since I got my first own PC in 2002 and gathered random stuff in it. We had PCs in our house since 1998 but this was the first time I was given my own one, and this allowed me to finally start archiving some of my own random crap. I've been transferring those files between my various PC builds and hard drives ever since.

It's basically a mish-mash of stuff that I found and saved over the years, including an entire library of Star Wars e-books, comic book scans, some flash games and animations, documents, photos, game mods and patches, music and videos that I worked on in the past, and... ah yes, screenshots.

Honestly, I'm having trouble even figuring out what's going on with some of those...
HAcY9x3.png

Oh well, thanks for sending me down that rabbit hole again. It's been a while since I actually looked inside that folder.

Last edited:

Denton

Damn, that's a nice OP. I salute you.

My gaming hardware timeline is as follows:

1) 1994 - Gameboy (original 1989 version)
2) 1997 - First PC
3) 2016 - First console (PS4 Pro) - used only for exclusives
4) 2021 - First handheld PC (Steam Deck)

CPUs: Intel Pentium 100MHz, AMD Duron 800MHz, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, Intel Core 2 Duo E4400, Intel Core i5 2500K, AMD Ryzen 2700X, AMD Ryzen 5800X3D (current)

GPUs: Cirrus Logic 1MB, SiS 730 32MB, GeForce 2 MX 400, GeForce 3 Ti 200, Radeon X800, Radeon X1900XTX, GeForce GTX 280, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Radeon 280X, GeForce GTX 970, GeForce GTX 1070, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GeForce RTX 3080Ti (current)

Top Bottom