• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss being blown away by new-gen graphics....

I miss the early days of PS4 when they showcased Killzone Shadowfall, DriveClub, The Order 1886, Infamous Second Son, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part 2... etc.

Every time they showed something for the PS4, I was floored at how good it all looked.

Now-a-days though it's like... HEY IT LOOKS THE SAME AS A PS4 GAME BUT IT HAS 60FPS!!!! WOW 60FPS! SO NEXT GEN!

I'm so sick of it.

The last time I was blown away by something for the PS5, was when they showed off UE5. That's pretty much it. Everything else just looks like last gen stuff with some extra detail and 4K resolution.

I must confess though, I've stayed away from any videos or screenshots of Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart because I wanna go in with fresh eyes. Hopefully this is the game that really makes me think "Man, now this is what next gen can really do"

What are your thoughts? Is 60fps enough to call it "next gen" or do you really wanna see that graphical leap we've come to expect each new generation even if it has to be 30fps.

If a game looks as good as UE5 demo, I'll gladly play it at 30fps.

mansoor1980

giphy.gif

yamaci17

Its either,

1440p + 30 FPS = truly nextgen graphics
4K + 30 FPS = meh improvement over lastgen graphics

1080-1440P + 60 FPS = meh improvement over lastgen graphics
4K + 60 FPS = lastgen graphics

And they will probs go to the way of 1080-1440p + 60 FPS. It is not logical to hinder the valuable Zen 2 CPU in these consoles by pushing 30 FPS + higher graphics. GPU will be the bottleneck most of the time, sadly.

I have no quarrel with 30 FPS as long as it allows generational differences. If PS4 targeted 60 FPS you would either see God of War run at 540p or with much worse graphics at 1080p 60 FPS (if they had capable CPU that is)

Roni

Gold Member
I miss the early days of PS4 when they showcased Killzone Shadowfall, DriveClub, The Order 1886, Infamous Second Son, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part 2... etc.

Every time they showed something for the PS4, I was floored at how good it all looked.

Now-a-days though it's like... HEY IT LOOKS THE SAME AS A PS4 GAME BUT IT HAS 60FPS!!!! WOW 60FPS! SO NEXT GEN!

I'm so sick of it.

The last time I was blown away by something for the PS5, was when they showed off UE5. That's pretty much it. Everything else just looks like last gen stuff with some extra detail and 4K resolution.

I must confess though, I've stayed away from any videos or screenshots of Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart because I wanna go in with fresh eyes. Hopefully this is the game that really makes me think "Man, now this is what next gen can really do"

What are your thoughts? Is 60fps enough to call it "next gen" or do you really wanna see that graphical leap we've come to expect each new generation even if it has to be 30fps.

Open your wallet and be willing to pay for a console with a GPU on par with a 3080. Then most devs would be capable of designing games with RT for consoles...

Last edited:

engstra

I still don't own a 4K screen so I feel whenever I get that I might see a big difference in already good-looking games. Despite that I still think the difference is notable compared to the base ps4. Demon's Souls looks amazing and 60fps has greatly improved the experience, don't think I could go back. Everything just feels so much sharper

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Graphics have reached such an amazing point at this point that we just need to start seeing evolutions in lighting and A.I. RTGI is a big deal, just not many games have utilized it yet in ways that immediately make it stand out. And we've not really seen big jumps in A.I. in a long time because most people hate ACTUALLY being challenged. Everyone says they want a challenge until they lose, so devs/pubs just leave it as it's been.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
For me, this new generation has definitely been one of the weakest upgrades in terms of visuals. I remember first seeing Oblivion on 360 and seeing the crazy draw distance with trees visible on the distant hills, etc. It was mind-blowing and exciting. Now, games like Gears 5 or God of War in 4K look pretty close to what we are getting on next gen systems.

The true next gen features have been more around the DualSense and the SSDs. Kind of funny that a move to super fast loading is one of the most next gen features this gen, but it's just a return to something we had as a standard during the 8 and 16-bit days.

Guilty_AI

We're just getting to a point of diminishing returns in terms of visuals alone. You'll need to learn to look for other things in games if you want to be blow away.

For example, VR often impresses people due to depth perception and the immersive factor.

For me, player-world interaction is the thing that i always drool over.
Burning down a house in Teardown was one of the most satisfying things i've done in a game for a long time.

Last edited:
Graphics have reached such an amazing point at this point that we just need to start seeing evolutions in lighting and A.I. RTGI is a big deal, just not many games have utilized it yet in ways that immediately make it stand out. And we've not really seen big jumps in A.I. in a long time because most people hate ACTUALLY being challenged. Everyone says they want a challenge until they lose, so devs/pubs just leave it as it's been.
That UE5 demo is better than anything I've ever seen running in real time, so no the graphics can get a LOT better than they are now.

We're just getting to a point of diminishing returns in terms of visuals alone. You'll need to learn to look for other things in games if you want to be blow away.

For example, VR often impresses people due to depth perception and the immersive factor.

Diminishing returns? That UE5 demo looks like it's in an entirely new league compared to what we have now. It's not even close.

yamaci17

Open your wallet and be willing to pay for a console with a GPU on par with a 3080. Then most devs would be capable of designing games with RT for consoles...
Bruh

3080 won't have enough VRAM to hold those gorgeous, amazingly high detailed UE5 textures. If you really think it can, you're kidding yourself.

It has more "grunt", but it will lack big time when the actual nextgen games come along.

GuinGuin

Banned
I was going to ask how you managed to not be impressed by Rift Apart but then I read the OP. You'll be impressed in a month.

Roni

Gold Member
Bruh

3080 won't have enough VRAM to hold those gorgeous, amazingly high detailed UE5 textures. If you really think it can, you're kidding yourself.

It has more "grunt", but it will lack big time when the actual nextgen games come along.
My point is that in every generation the consoles decide what AAA games can be since every developer/publisher wants to sell their product to the biggest audience possible...

Console manufacturers won't build powerful, expensive consoles if they won't sell...

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

I'm so sick of it.
Amen. The quote below is the problem with these framerate nerds. Literally ALL they care about is FPS, its fucking ridiculous. Im pretty sure they would be happy with PS3 graphics if it meant games played at 60 FPS locked.

This new InCrEaSe FrAmErAtE and call it nExT gEn trend needs to die. ASAP.
You need to try 120fps.
Ah yes, because a game that looks like a PS4 turd at 60FPS would suddenly look like a next gen game at 120FPS.

Truth of the matter is it would be even uglier.

120fos games LOOK like shit. We arent talking about smoothness. We are talking about visual fidelity. Thats what makes games next gen. Visual fidelity is what takes atmosphere in gaming to new levels. Not framerate. Who gives a shit about how smooth a turd is? Some of us want next gen FIDELITY. Frame rate is not the be all end all in gaming.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

I'm so sick of it.

Games nowaday are so complex and heavily detailed, it probably became really difficult to come out with a huge leap because how long it takes to make. So for now, we're being given these upgraded version while ''next gen '' is being developed.

cormack12

Gold Member
Previous gens had bigger jumps. Proper 3D, Proper HD resolution.

There's a reason why both MS and Sony have developed around texture streaming and data moving. Resolution is now at the wrong end of tangible returns. DRS and/or CBR is now good enough that games running at 1400p - 1600p are well sufficient for home console gaming. Look how good BF II looks for example.

The biggest leap is going to be in textures and detail imo. And nothing will look like UE5 until UE5 has a production game running Nanite and Lumens natively or proprietary engines adopt similar tech.

Hugare

We are still in cross gen territory

Sure, we had Demon's Souls and Returnal.

But they run at 60 fps, so despite looking great, they arent those games that push graphics so hard that the hardware runs the game at 25 fps average while cutting down resolution

Those usually come out 2-3 years in the gen. Maybe we will have to wait longer due to the pandemic/shortages

KAL2006

Banned
I think the fact that last gen games look so good is the reason why. I still get blown away by the graphics of God of War, Red Dead 2, Last of Us 2 these games just being 60fps is enough for me. The gap between gens have gotten smaller and smaller and now it's become so small it's not even noticeable.

PS1 to PS2 the higher polygon count just blew me away. On PS1 the 3D models were basically triangles and blocks, gameplay was so outdated as developers were working out how to control 3D games. Then on PS2 all the 3D models were not blocky, we had more interactive 3D surrounding and were able to have camera controls on majority games thanks to the dual analog controller.

Then came along the PS3, while the jump wasn't as apparent from PS1 to PS2. It was still a massive jump, now the models look great in fact God of War 3 still looks great to this day. The jump to HD was noticeable and having loads of games support online play was a huge deal for console gamers.

The next jump from PS3 to PS4 was even a smaller jump but still exciting. Now games didn't look as jaggy, everything looked crisp. Draw distance were finally at a acceptable level with the release of inFamous Second Son it was noticeable straight away. We basically at a level on PS4 where every single game looked decent even lower budget games.

So in conclusion I think the jumps have been like this
PS1>>>>>>>>>>PS2>>>>>>>PS3>>>>PS4>PS5

Yeah well but that might've been true for PS4/Xone. When you look at it

- They had 5400 RPM slow HDDs
- Upper low range GPU (something between the low end hd 7850 and then-midrange hd 7870. with low clock speeds, mostly towards the 7850)
- Trash tier CPU

- Now PS5 has one of a kind NVME ssd with unparallaed IO technologies
- Upper mid-range GPU (around 6700xt-3070)
- God tier CPU (High IPC Zen 2 cores clocked at 3.6-3.7 GHz. With superior CPU overhead gained by metal API should put it around the 5800x levels of performance WITH time)

For example, GTX 970 had nearly 2.5 times more grunt than the PS4 (they were released in the same timeframe) (than that 2.5 times grunt became around 1.5-1.8 times more grunt due to console optimizations being superior)
But RTX 3070, at best, have %20 more grunt than PS5. And that difference will quickly wither away once Nvidia decides to move on with their nextgen GPUs

This happened, because this time console manufacturers actually put something worthwhile to these consoles.

Please don't put the PS4 and PS5 to the same basket.
Wtf are you smoking?! Ps5 on par with a 5800x cpu?! It's not even on the level of a 3700x 😂! How did you just upgrade a generation and a few tiers up?!

Definitely not near a RTX 3070 performance either 😂! Even 3060 ti was beating it in performance.

Where do you guys make this stuff up from?! It's great to dream and all, but let's stick with facts in this discussion.

Framerate is going to be a big factor here. 30fps kills immersion. That shit needs to die off.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I love graphical jumps and I do expect to be wow'd, but I have to say, the lack of loading is pleasing me more than anything lately.

It was terribly unexciting to hear Microsoft and Sony talk up load times as the big next-gen feature to be excited about, in the lead up to this generation, while we were all salivating to see mind-blowing graphics and groundbreaking gameplay, but they weren't wrong.

Oh lovely. Another dumb bitching graphics thread when the new gen is only 6 months in and actual 1st party titles have yet to come out.

Learn to have some fucking patience. It's always like this during a new generation start. You won't see true next gen until 2023.

levyjl1988

Banned
Graphics now are limited to the hardware available. Those with 1080p are not going to get the visual punch that a 4K monitor with HDR will ever have.

NahaNago

I wanted to be blown away as well. I'm guessing the excuse of fast ssd's won't work anymore for ps6 and they can focus more on blowing us away with new gen graphics.

supernova8

Banned

Burning down a house in Teardown was one of the most satisfying things i've done in a game for a long time.
Yep playing Battlezone on PSVR was mindblowing and those are not exactly the best graphics ever.

KAL2006

Banned
We are still in cross gen territory

Sure, we had Demon's Souls and Returnal.

But they run at 60 fps, so despite looking great, they arent those games that push graphics so hard that the hardware runs the game at 25 fps average while cutting down resolution

Those usually come out 2-3 years in the gen. Maybe we will have to wait longer due to the pandemic/shortages

When PS1-N64 first released I was immediately blown away by Mario 64 and Ridge Racer. Going from the fake 3D graphics from SNES like Starfox to actual proper 3D was a huge deal.

When PS2/GC/Xbox launched, Ready 2 Rumble Round 2, SSX, Dynasty Warriors 2 and Halo was a massive upgrade. Before the launch or within the first 6 months we got trailers of many upcoming games that looked amazing.

When PS3/360 launched we got Fight Night Round 3 and Oblivion. We also got footage of upcoming games within the launch period such as Dead or Alive 4.

When PS4/XOne launched we got Killzone Shadow Fall, Ryde that was a big upgrade in visuals, we also had footage of inFamous Second Son before the PS4 release which was a huge jump.

With PS5/SX the games don't seem to have a huge jump in visuals from the likes of Red Dead 2 and Last of Us 2. It's not even about games launching with visuals with a big jump we have no footage of upcoming games with a big jump in graphics where as every gen prior we either had launch games that surpassed visuals of games from previous gen by a wide margin or footage of upcoming games that blew us away.

I'm going to be patient and wait for E3 as we have had a pandemic, but if we still don't get footage of games with a massive visual upgrade then we can all say this is definitely a generation we won't get a big difference like previous gens.

Top Bottom