• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss being blown away by new-gen graphics....

KAL2006

Banned
I'm sorry but that's just wrong. Rift Apart looks so much more impressive on every single level even if you ignore the amazing Rift jumping aspect.

We can't deny Rift Apart looks way better. But the thing is Ratchet and Clank PS4 still looks decent which makes the leap not seem as significant. Now go back and compare inFamous 2 to inFamous Second Son and the leap is way more significant. No one is denying graphics haven't improved it's just it's now a big wow factor anymore as PS4 games already look great. In fact if we get games like Red Dead 2 and Last of Us 2 with 60fps that's enough to satisfy me.

TonyK

I don't think I can ever go back to 30fps
I love 60fps but my problem is, until now, games I played in Ps5, and that includes Demons souls, Valhalla, Spiderman, etc... they look like PS4 at 60fps rather than next gen. And only in 30fps quality mode is when those games start to look like next gen.

So, I want 60fps, but not at the cost of another 7 years of the same PS4 graphic fidelity.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
i think a good hdr 4k display is needed to fully appreciate these new games. Demons Souls look fucking incredible on Oled.
But I am replaying uncharted 4 and... it's also quite incredible still

Arcadialane

Same here. It feels like GTA 3 was the last time my mind was truly blown.

From this:

zmdZbp3.jpg

To this :

9ct6EdP.jpg

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
When I was younger high tech graphics was much more exciting but as I got older the novelty of shiny graphics wears off much more quickly for me, so I rather see devs focus on better performance rather than shiney graphics since performance effects how gameplay would feel when I play.

muteZX

Banned
Ratchet 5 is a technical triviality that is not worth talking to a game veteran. Random shot is like a native game for the PS4 Pro. The gameplay is identical to the PS2 generation. The wow factor means having the same scene with fully dynamic fluid physics. And that's just the beginning.

LMJ

- this runs nicely on i7+1070, you can control camera and time of day. Really nice "CG" like gfx .. expect much, much better from the PS5.

I would argue that this (running on a PS5) looks pretty damned close myself

Ratchet 5 is a technical triviality that is not worth talking to a game veteran. Random shot is like a native game for the PS4 Pro. The gameplay is identical to the PS2 generation. The wow factor means having the same scene with fully dynamic fluid physics. And that's just the beginning.

Funny, many of the thousands of 30-40 year old reviewers, youtubers and gamers that think this game looks incredible would disagree lol

hell I would wager I've been gaming way longer than you, and the idea of instantly loading environments or mere second traversing worlds is pretty damn exciting. The real amazing thing with ratchet RA is the density and life in the worlds. Oh and to address your other concern Ratchet has added new mechanics and refined the overall experience in every main game.

Sorry, but "fluid physics" or not, this shit is exciting

Ratchet Clank Game GIF by SiteShopB

Also many of you are comparing a revolutionary jump like 2D to 3D, or 3D to HD lol of course that will be more of a leap, but again this gen hasn't even started yet, Ratchet is a 6 month game, as in 6 moths in to a gen that will likely be 5-6 years long. BE EXCITED :D

Galatico91

That's the thing tho, PS4 Ratchet, as great as it looked back then, was never something that's setting any bar. Now compare newest Ratchet with the likes of TO1886, Ryse, GoW4, TLoU2 etc. and the jump isn't as big anymore.
I think is hard to compare cartoony games with more realistic ones. For me, at least, the jump in quality seems similar to Killzone 2/3 to ShadowFall.

muteZX

Banned
I would argue that this (running on a PS5) looks pretty damned close myself

Funny, many of the thousands of 30-40 year old reviewers, youtubers and gamers that think this game looks incredible would disagree lol

hell I would wager I've been gaming way longer than you, and the idea of instantly loading environments or mere second traversing worlds is pretty damn exciting. The real amazing thing with ratchet RA is the density and life in the worlds. Oh and to address your other concern Ratchet has added new mechanics and refined the overall experience in every main game.

Sorry, but "fluid physics" or not, this shit is exciting

Ratchet Clank Game GIF by SiteShopB

Also many of you are comparing a revolutionary jump like 2D to 3D, or 3D to HD lol of course that will be more of a leap, but again this gen hasn't even started yet, Ratchet is a 6 month game, as in 6 moths in to a gen that will likely be 5-6 years long. BE EXCITED :D

I literally dont care bout average joe. I am playing games for more than 40 years, starting with Pong. Ratchet PS5 is a shiny PS2 game, trivial everything - 30 fps default. Thanks.

GuinGuin

Banned
We can't deny Rift Apart looks way better. But the thing is Ratchet and Clank PS4 still looks decent which makes the leap not seem as significant. Now go back and compare inFamous 2 to inFamous Second Son and the leap is way more significant. No one is denying graphics haven't improved it's just it's now a big wow factor anymore as PS4 games already look great. In fact if we get games like Red Dead 2 and Last of Us 2 with 60fps that's enough to satisfy me.

As good as the PS4 game looked Rift Apart looks almost unbelievable and yet it's real. Much more blown away by it than I was by anything from the PS4 days.

ripeavocado

Banned
I miss the early days of PS4 when they showcased Killzone Shadowfall, DriveClub, The Order 1886, Infamous Second Son, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part 2... etc.

Every time they showed something for the PS4, I was floored at how good it all looked.

Now-a-days though it's like... HEY IT LOOKS THE SAME AS A PS4 GAME BUT IT HAS 60FPS!!!! WOW 60FPS! SO NEXT GEN!

I'm so sick of it.

The last time I was blown away by something for the PS5, was when they showed off UE5. That's pretty much it. Everything else just looks like last gen stuff with some extra detail and 4K resolution.

I must confess though, I've stayed away from any videos or screenshots of Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart because I wanna go in with fresh eyes. Hopefully this is the game that really makes me think "Man, now this is what next gen can really do"

What are your thoughts? Is 60fps enough to call it "next gen" or do you really wanna see that graphical leap we've come to expect each new generation even if it has to be 30fps.

If a game looks as good as UE5 demo, I'll gladly play it at 30fps.

You are not going to be blown away for few more years, this generation is underpowered

Galatico91

You are not going to be blown away for few more years, this generation is underpowered

Same thing was said about the last generation, many times. I was already impressed with Sony games in first-year, inFamous Second Son was unbeliavable in 2014 for a open-world game in comparison what we have on PS3. I think we have far better machines with PS5/Xbox SX than PS4/Xbox One in the same time.

Same thing was said about the last generation, many times. I was already impressed with Sony games in first-year, inFamous Second Son was unbeliavable in 2014 for a open-world game in comparison what we have on PS3. I think we have far better machines with PS5/Xbox SX than PS4/Xbox One in the same time.
I agree. I think the things that impressed me most about Second Son at the time were how many particles they could put on the screen at once without any hit to performance and obviously the PBR materials. Also, the facial animations were so lifelike that it was definitely a generation ahead of PS3.

That reminds me... Second Son's facial animations look great but then Ghost of Tsushima looks really stiff in comparison. Did they not use any motion capture?

One last thing... I wonder if developers are going to be limited on time instead of ability on this generation where they only have a certain amount of time to add details to the games. What I mean is that say they fill an entire room with really great detail down to every screw, every little piece of trash, all the cracks and imperfections, all the different surface effects like dust and dirt, other added details to make it look lived in such as things not being entirely straight or perfect, nicks and scratches, cob-webs, wrinkles... the list goes on and on. Now imagine they have to do that for EVERY ROOM in EVERY HOUSE that you enter. That's a LOT of work. If you try to automate it, it just starts to look too similar from house to house.

emmerrei

Beside SNES -> N64/PS1 in all generation i always felt disappointed. Yes, also from PS1 to PS2. Of course, if you take end-generation games, the jump is noticeble, but for now i think it's too early to draw the conclusions. The point is, games "cross gen" or on that period of time, tend to be bland, and share more things with the old gen than the new one. It's also to take in mind, that going forward the jump will always be little, but foor now, i think wee have just to wait some years.

How do you beat going from this

Atari2600_Screenshots_Header.jpg

To that
3D-World-Runner-NES-Limits-Screen.gif

Then that
813462-ghouls-n-ghosts-genesis-screenshot-loki-lucifer.gif

After that

2433784-502621-snes_fzero.gif

Then jump to this

maxresdefault.jpg

After that you get to this

sr2.jpg

All within 15 years (and I skipped a lot)! Not gonna happen again!

But yes, early ps4 was pretty amazing, the games looked so good that xbone owners assumed it was all bullshots... Yet if you had played Killzone:SF on launch you knew what to expect... Better effects, better performance, better image quality (which infamous second son was the first game I recall getting IQ really well on consoles).

We will get RT, more detailed assets and better performance... I'd say the jump is similar to going from the ps360 to the ps4 overall.

it will be 32k 2400 fps

upscaled from 4k and interpolated from 30 fps with revolutionary AI technologies (jokes on you, this will probs happen at some point)
Given what Intel did with gta5 I'm wondering how long it will be before someone decides to skip RT completely and run a game that has a basic set of actual 3d graphics overlaid with an AI generated photorealistic image for each frame!

Joke's on you!

Amiga

FPS is part of it. and it matters. PS5 is also focused on more complex things happening in motion. Returnal and R&K are examples.

previous generations focused on showing you beautiful screenshots and clips to sell the console to you. now image quality has almost peaked. a game like Ryse ran on the original 1.3TFLOPS XB1. RE8 can run on it. hardware now just pushes resolution.

one remaining major field in image quality is raytracing but it will take at least another upgrade to reach a level close to Metro Exodus Enhanced levels.

It’s probably a combination of diminishing returns and lack of the child wonderment I once had, but the last time I was truly blown away by a generational leap was going from the GameCube to 360.

One of my favorite games on the GC was RE4, and that game is probably the best looking one on the system. I was so excited for RE5 to come out, and would use the school computers during study hall to see if any new news or screenshots came out constantly. I would just look at the screenshots and get so obsessed with how detailed everything was and how nice the lighting looked. For comparison:

M4EMI2d.jpg

Osqh39B.jpg

This particular RE5 screenshot just fascinated me. The detail and lighting was just leagues above the already good looking RE4.

The 360/PS3 was a big leap because most AAA games had in game character models that looked better than the Prerendered cutscenes of the previous gen. That alone was impressive. Not to mention some early games like AssCreed 1 and Dead Rising showed off what could be done with stuff like crowd density. Hell even some Wii games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 were nice upgrades from GC graphics.

Transitioning to PS4/X1 just felt meh in comparison. Games looked a little nicer but were still mostly 720p-1080p and 30fps. MEH.

Moochi

I've been playing Control on a 3080 with raytracing maxed at +100 fps. I haven't been this blown away since Final Fantasy 7.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I had another thought it's not only graphics that haven't been a huge leap it's the full package. I think we have to accept gaming isn't a new medium anymore and it's no longer going to be groundbreaking and changing things up like it used to.

I'm not going to go into graphics as that has been discussed enough in this thread.

NES - 2 buttons, basic arcade style games with no save system.

SNES - Games are more complex with 6 buttons. We still have arcade style games but now we starting to get way more games with save systems.

N64/PS1 - by far the biggest jump, we now have 3D games, an analog stick in N64 to provide 3D movement. PS1 disks allow way more data for a massive advance in audio improvements as well as FMV sequences in games.

PS2/GameCube/Xbox - Dual analog setup which now allows for many games with initiative camera controls, and moving the camera is now part of the game design of many games, popularising FPS games such as Halo. Games can now be bigger than ever creating the emergence of 3D sandbox games like GTA3. Introduction of online gaming.

PS3/360/Wii - Although we had online gaming on Xbox in the prior gen this is when online gaming truly kicked off and was supported on all consoles without the need to buy a adapter like PS2. This gave birth to the popularization of online gaming on major franchises like Call of Duty and FIFA which to this day is still played. The popularization of indie games thanks to PSN and XBLA. And of course the motion phenomenon with Wii.

I feel like with PS4 and PS5 nothing has truly changed. Yes games look sharper and better. But other than the popularization of F2P games on the PS4 generation I can't see anything big that has changed. Nothing truly ground breaking, we had COD and FIFA which was popular on PS3 and we still have these same games still popular on PS4 and PS5.

Overall I don't think it's a big deal for example although PS4 generation wasn't as groundbreaking as PS3 generation I prefer it than that generation thanks to the return of decent Japanese games. I also feel we had more variety of decent indie games compared to PS3. We just have to accept we will never be blown away like we have before with ground breaking games like Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Halo, GTA3, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Gears of War and etc. Everything going forward is just a refinement but there is nothing wrong with that.

ripeavocado

Banned
The last generation was more powerful compared to the previous.

the problem is that we don’t have any Infamous Second Son yet and it’s not even announced because the hardware isn’t there and it will never come

Last edited:

WorldHero

I partially blame the "60fps" revolution we are currently experiencing on consoles. God of War, Horizon, RDR2, and TLOU2 were the best games visually from last gen. None of them NEEDED 60 fps to be great games.

I partially blame the "60fps" revolution we are currently experiencing on consoles. God of War, Horizon, RDR2, and TLOU2 were the best games visually from last gen. None of them NEEDED 60 fps to be great games.
need no... desired yes. After you p[lay spiderman in 60 fps is is hard to go back to 30

It’s probably a combination of diminishing returns and lack of the child wonderment I once had, but the last time I was truly blown away by a generational leap was going from the GameCube to 360.

One of my favorite games on the GC was RE4, and that game is probably the best looking one on the system. I was so excited for RE5 to come out, and would use the school computers during study hall to see if any new news or screenshots came out constantly. I would just look at the screenshots and get so obsessed with how detailed everything was and how nice the lighting looked. For comparison:

M4EMI2d.jpg

Osqh39B.jpg

This particular RE5 screenshot just fascinated me. The detail and lighting was just leagues above the already good looking RE4.

The 360/PS3 was a big leap because most AAA games had in game character models that looked better than the Prerendered cutscenes of the previous gen. That alone was impressive. Not to mention some early games like AssCreed 1 and Dead Rising showed off what could be done with stuff like crowd density. Hell even some Wii games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 were nice upgrades from GC graphics.

Transitioning to PS4/X1 just felt meh in comparison. Games looked a little nicer but were still mostly 720p-1080p and 30fps. MEH.
i honestly used to think the cutscenes in RE2 was the best graphics could get

a 1998 version of me would be blown away by both these screenshots, wondering if it was done with alien technology

Pimpbaa

Lets wait until we get more current gen only games before we start judging it. Which might take a while as lot are stuck with last gen consoles due to supply issues with current gen consoles.

Lets wait until we get more current gen only games before we start judging it. Which might take a while as lot are stuck with last gen consoles due to supply issues with current gen consoles.

You dont get it. Even 3 years in the next gen consoles life you wont see anything mind blowing. Those massive graphical jumps from the late 90s and early 2000s are never coming back. Mainly because now we are getting introduced to new tech at a slower rate but its also being implemented slowly over time so you cant get that "oh my god" surprise because the game before it already looked quite good. But if you compared PS4 best looking game to the best looking PS5 game at the end of its console cycle....its going to be massive jump. But by the time we get to the end of that cycle, there were so many games building up on new tech and that last game looks great but also expected.

drotahorror

I'm not really trying to defend consoles but this generation is quite powerful in terms of how it performs against a PC. A midrange PC dickstomped a PS4/XB1 when they were released in 2013. Now a PS5/XSX is already a midrange PC.

Look at some of the games that came out on PS4, TLOU2, God of War, Ghosts of Tsushima, fuckin bonkers level of graphics @ 30fps on an absolute garbage system that was outdated way before it even released. The PS5 is doing 60fps in these games and not breaking a sweat. When we see a true 'next-gen' game come out on these systems from the very talented developers of the best looking games of last generation, we'll see how incredible these systems will be. This generation hasn't even started.

stranno

How about the polygons?

We switched top notch 2D 60FPS graphics + zero loading times + polished gameplay to Jaguar, 3DO and Saturn/PlayStation first wave of games: Sluggish performance (to say the least), irregular design, poor 3D control and infinite loading screens.

It was a really bad first impression, even more when Sega Model 2 was already rocking the arcades.

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
I'm not really trying to defend consoles but this generation is quite powerful in terms of how it performs against a PC. A midrange PC dickstomped a PS4/XB1 when they were released in 2013. Now a PS5/XSX is already a midrange PC.

Look at some of the games that came out on PS4, TLOU2, God of War, Ghosts of Tsushima, fuckin bonkers level of graphics @ 30fps on an absolute garbage system that was outdated way before it even released. The PS5 is doing 60fps in these games and not breaking a sweat. When we see a true 'next-gen' game come out on these systems from the very talented developers of the best looking games of last generation, we'll see how incredible these systems will be. This generation hasn't even started.

absolutely not, just check how PS4 games perform on a 2013 mid range PC.

TLOU2 and others Sony games have insane graphics that are barely seen on PC and they definitely don’t run well on a 2013 mid range PC.

PS5 and XSX are underpowered and that’s a fact, if your PC is underpowered because the last GPU sucks or are more expensive than before doesn’t mean they aren’t.

if you are surprised by a next gen console running old games at 60fps I really don’t know what to say other than you don’t know what you are talking about.

drotahorror

absolutely not, just check how PS4 games perform on a 2013 mid range PC.

TLOU2 and others Sony games have insane graphics that are barely seen on PC and they definitely don’t run well on a 2013 mid range PC.

PS5 and XSX are underpowered and that’s a fact, if your PC is underpowered because the last GPU sucks or are more expensive than before doesn’t mean they aren’t.

if you are surprised by a next gen console running old games at 60fps I really don’t know what to say other than you don’t know what you are talking about.

I didn't say I was surprised, I said the new consoles can handle 60fps no problem. They don't break a sweat. Maybe that translates differently to whatever language is your first.

I didn't say they were underpowered, I said they are...

I don't even know. Everything you wrote is actually retarded and not even based on what I said, it's like you misunderstood every single word in my post.

The PS6 comes out in, let's say... 2028 and is equivalent to a Geforce 8080 BUT!!.. Sony also releases the PS6: Minus, which is 1/4 the power of the PS6. All game companies downscale their vision to accommodate the PS6: Minus for the next entire generation keeping us in the whole for the rest of the gaming.

ripeavocado

Banned
I didn't say I was surprised, I said the new consoles can handle 60fps no problem. They don't break a sweat. Maybe that translates differently to whatever language is your first.

I didn't say they were underpowered, I said they are...

I don't even know. Everything you wrote is actually retarded and not even based on what I said, it's like you misunderstood every single word in my post.

Consoles have been able to handle 60fps games for decades, what are you talking about?

C'mon the basics man, if you follow games at least try to understand how things work, especially if you want to comment about them.

drotahorror

Consoles have been able to handle 60fps games for decades, what are you talking about?

C'mon the basics man, if you follow games at least try to understand how things work, especially if you want to comment about them.

Good lord. I never said anything about consoles not being able to handle 60fps. NES games are 60hz in the GREAT UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

I hate to be rude, but you need to study the English language a bit more.

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
Good lord. I never said anything about consoles not being able to handle 60fps. NES games are 60hz in the GREAT UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

I hate to be rude, but you need to study the English language a bit more.

Man you even mentioning a next gen console being able to run old gen games as 60fps like it's a thing is embarassing.

You are gasping at straws and even a little bit racist by constantly reminding me that english is not my native language (I would wrote poorly in my native language as well, I am definitely not going to double check what I write to answer your nonsense, not worth my time)

Every game in existence could be 60fps, but there would be sacrifices to get there. Nothing has unlimited power, so whenever you see a game running at 60fps, there were cutbacks to get there. I'd rather have less cut backs and 30fps.

drotahorror

Man you even mentioning a next gen console being able to run old gen games as 60fps like it's a thing is embarassing.

You are gasping at straws and even a little bit racist by constantly reminding me that english is not my native language (I would wrote poorly in my native language as well, I am definitely not going to double check what I write to answer your nonsense, not worth my time)

It's because you misunderstand me. All I said was the new consoles can do 60fps easily. I didn't act like it was some sort of achievement that they were doing this. You took things I said, and misinterpreted them. Anyways, I'm done with you.

ripeavocado

Banned
It's because you misunderstand me. All I said was the new consoles can do 60fps easily. I didn't act like it was some sort of achievement that they were doing this. You took things I said, and misinterpreted them. Anyways, I'm done with you.

yes like old consoles, why is this relevant?

The fact of the matter is... frame rate is not a generational upgrade TO ME. A generational upgrade is increased visual fidelity and effects. I wanna see crazy physics, weather, destruction, geometry, density... all of that. To see the same old stuff we have now but at 60fps is not a generational leap to me.

kevm3

If we get anything like the UE5 demo in real games, then that will be mind blowing. It looks like concept art in game.

If we get anything like the UE5 demo in real games, then that will be mind blowing. It looks like concept art in game.
My thoughts exactly. The UE5 stuff is the only thing that is innovative to me this generation so far. I don't know what other studios are doing with their engines, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. Simply taking and old engine from the PS4-era and adding in real time reflections is not really what I call next gen.

Top Bottom